Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2003, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
AA J/F - LAX-JFK

Sep 27, 2003
AA40 762 LAX-JFK
Dep 10.00 am

As part of my OW RTW my next sector was LAX-JFK. Now although strictly speaking on a DONE4 (J class RTW) and 3 class AA sector such as this I should have been booked into D on AA40, my TA and QF had issued the ticket with me in A. No complaint here. I was looking forward to sampling AA F on transcon.

Well it seems it was not to be. I had anticipated (as warned by others on OW forum) that check in agent may detect the error. But this was not my problem.

I arrived with plenty of time at T4 at LAX (I was also planning on meeting some friends at the AC/QC who were flying in from MEL. for my 10am departure I arrived at the airport at 7.45am.

I found that there was now one "Premium" check in line - rather than the old "First" and "Business". This meant the line was quite long - 20 people or so - and only 4-5 agents serving it. The end was 20-25 minutes in the line - quite unacceptable I would think.

Finally getting served, the agent who called me up said she would only service simple check-ins - "no upgrades" - fine with me.

Alas the check in took 15 mins. As soon as she got my reservation up, she told me AA40 had its equipment downgraded - to 757 (instead of 762). It was interesting as she just assumed that I would not want to stay on that flight in F and would want to change (too right - F on 757 is not what I would call Premium Class)....so she said I had two options. I could go on AA2 at 9am, but she could only confirm me into J and waitlist me for F as it appeared full, OR a confirmed F seat on a much later (1.25pm) flight. I chose J on AA2 - she told me to check at the gate for an F seat. She also said she would credit my account with the miles for the difference - which I was impressed with (especially since I shouldn't have been in A in the first place - I had checked prior to the flight and assured myself that the SCs would be the same irrespective of J or F - still on track for Platinum QF by Nov). She was even going to credit my QF account - but I gave her my AAdvantage account instead. I was pleasant throughout the 'ordeal' - it wasn't really her fault anyhow.

Got my BP and went upstairs to the secruity line. For one the "SSSSS" on my BP was an advantage. As the TSA checker came back through the line (the lines through the metal detectors were full) she notice mine and asked me to come through and go down the full security check line (far right at LAX T4). There was no one in there, and after my shoeless wanding, I was through before most of the people in the 'normal' lines.

Overall the TSA staff were very pleasant, in good humour and courteous and efficient..

I quickly hopped into the AC/QC - wanted to experience the new one in LAX. The front desk CSR gave me two drink vouchers for "alcohol and bottled water" - WHAT now they are charging for water??? What next, shower coupons and seat vouchers? Still a long way to go till QC standard.

And as pre-viewed by others it was excellent - modern look and feel, very QC ambience, bar, internet terminals, TV rooms, abd a good overview of the terminal below for people watching. Also saw the two QF 747s which had arrived from SYD/MEL earlier that morning - including Najal Dreaming).

Went up to the bar to get some water (too early to be drinking for me). And here is my biggest criticism. No self serve anything - not even a juice or water fountain. Only one barman serving. There was at least 4 people in line. Given the short time I had in the lounge (due to my earlier flight) I had to give up waiting after a few minutes - the barman was VERY slow. It's ridiculous - either put on enough staff or provide self service for at least water and juice (like in the old AC).

Went to board - at the gate asked the agent if my F waitlist had come through (showing my boarding pass) - he snapped back that F was full. This was the only poor attitude I experience from AA staff - and totally unnecessary.

Got to my seat - 7G - front row J in front of the thin bulkhead with the sceen on it. As I was one of the last J PAX to board most of the overheads were full. The one directly above my seat would not come down as its edge hit the top of the bulkhead - talk about stupid design. All others around only had half of the overhead available for bags - half of the compartments were taken up by equipment of some sort. I had to waive over the FA to help me find some space.

The F seats were the old type (I could see just in front of me). Frankly they didn't look that great - a little more legroom than J seats. IMHO they looked like J seats on QF/CX etc.... Anyway, I didn't really feel like I had lost out too much by missing out on the F seat.

The J seat itself on 762 I think is good but not great. It's narrow for a J seat. Legroom was good - I especially like the bulkhead in front as it allows one to put feet up on it - and letting the blood flow in the opposite direction through one's legs. The recline I think is also good. I once had the pleasure of the 777 J seat (in Y on a 3 class sold as 2 a/c) and they were definitely better - more leg room, wider. Are the 777 J seats the same as the 763 J seats?

Drink service was done quickly after the door was closed (water, OJ, Champagne, mimosa) - still too early for me to be drinking .

After take off, the rather young FA addressed me by name and asked for me selection from the menu. Menu was:

Appetizer - Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Entrees:-

Cheese Omelette (with ASiago Cheese accompanied by Has Browns and Yucatan Turkey Sausage)

Hearty Combination (Scrambled Eggs and Silver Dollar Pancakes with a Blueberry Compote, offered with Basil-Garlic Chicken Sausage)

Cereal and Yoghurt

Breakfast Bread Basket

I had the omellete - it was quite good - not great

After the breakfast/lunch service the movie was aired - Basic - forgettable.

Tried to get some sleep - but only dozed. Afternoon Refreshment was a choice between a cheese platter or a cookie - I chose the cheese platter but it too was forgettable.

We landed 40 mins late - apparently due to weather in NYC we were forced to cirlce in holding pattern for at least 30 mins. There were apparently lots of people onboard with onwards international connections to FCO/CDG who had to walk/run to T8 as we would be arriving at T9.

Walked down to baggage claim - waited for 15-20 minutes for the belt to even start and bags to start coming out - not sure why it takes so long. My bag was one of the 10 or so to come out first (despite the check in agent having forgotten to attach a "Premium" tag to it).

Summary:
Service - 8/10 - professional but not memorable.
Seat - 7/10
Food - 6/10
IFE - 4/10
Ground Services - 7/10 (marked down for gate agent and AC delays)

Next sector - Oct 3 - BA002 - the excitement builds .

[This message has been edited by alect (edited 09-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by alect (edited 09-29-2003).]
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:48 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I'm sure the next segment on BA will be great!

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Sep 30, 2003, 8:03 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Indeed, alect, we'll be able to swap Concorde stories if we catch up in Australia!!! Great to hear the trip is going well. I flew on AA3 last year in F, probably the best AA flight I've ever been on!! Still remember the cookies...but if that is the only thing that AA had better than QF

I agree that AC still sounds like it's a poor cousin to our fabulous QC's service, beverages and food offerings - bring on the Australian leg of your trip, I hear you say!!

(Edited to correct spelling)

[This message has been edited by QF WP (edited 09-30-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.