Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

BA First – EDI-LHR-SFO-LAX-SFO-LHR-EDI (Long)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2003, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card

For the last five years, Mrs Edi-traveller and I have usually sprung for Club World, either with cash or miles, for our holidays. But we have never travelled First together. As our 10th anniversary fast approached we decided to go to Los Angeles and San Francisco and wanted to fly at the front of the best.

So 150,000 miles, an Amex companion voucher and £120 tax later we were all set to go.

23rd August – EDI-LHR-SFO BA1433 and BA285.

There is not much I can say about the shuttle flight to LHR that hasn’t been said before. Being a Saturday, Edinburgh Airport was absolutely mobbed with leisure travellers, even at 5.30am. The economy line stretched for miles with miserable looking red-eyed zombies. Even the Club/First line was quite long. Fortunately, OLCI and the fast bag drop desk meant we were upstairs, through security and into the Terraces Lounge in about 5 minutes.

The shuttle flight was on a 737-400 configured as ever in the 3x3 economy configuration. The flight was full and we were in 6A and 6B. Departed on time, out over the Firth of Forth with a magnificent view of the Forth Bridges in the dawn light – a teasing reminder of the similar Bridges we would see in San Francisco in the very near future.

Breakfast came and was the usual shuttle fare – bacon, sausages, omelette, mushrooms and tomato – marinated in a rich watery oily sauce (well no not sauce – water really). Couple of cups of coffee attempted to clear the remains of the early morning stupor.

Amazingly there was no holding and we approached over central London to excellent views of the London Eye and that weird Swiss Re building that is nearing completion and has earned the nickname “The Erotic Gherkin”. Look out for it – it’s a good nickname!

Then began the trek across to Terminal Four. We arrived at the Concorde Room and were welcomed with a chilled glass of Piper Heidsieck Rare. This well decorated and comfortable room was full of people drinking Piper and waiting to board the Saturday Concorde flight to Barbados. We sat and watched the ground crew preparing that amazing machine and consoled ourselves that even though we were about to experience our most luxurious trip together, we were still missing out on the ultimate experience. We watched them board, and by the time the bird had flown our own flight had been called.

As we entered the First cabin we were handed our wash bags at the entrance. I really like these new bags. They are big, made of quality material and the idea of printing vintage aircraft on them is a nice commemorative touch. What I was a little disappointed in was the contents – they seemed a little sparse. (I later asked for the additional items – and this filled up the bags better).

It was a 747-400. Seatmap had displayed the 38 NCW configuration but the plane was in fact configured with 70 NCW so I expect there were some upgrades.

One of the cabin crew assigned to the First cabin, John, immediately proved to be one of those very friendly jolly, but extremely polite and efficient cabin crew standouts. Throughout the flight he continually encouraged us to eat and drink to excess and nothing was too much trouble for him. Within seconds of sitting down we had a glass of Krug and a plate of nuts each. The nuts were not warm – are they supposed to be? In fact we managed a second glass of Krug before they finished loading and we were off to SFO.

As we were sat in 5E and 5F we didn’t see much on take off. Actually most of the other First passengers went to sleep just after take off and closed their window blinds (which I hadn’t expected on a day flight). Still that meant we got John’s undivided attention and our choice of videos. I watched X Men 2 – which was on the standard channels whilst Mrs Edi-traveller watched Maid in Manhattan on video. Then we swapped.

We savoured the menu, noting that we could choose any combination at anytime.

First course.

Richard Corrigan’s foie gras and fig terrine with peppered pineapple chutney.

Mature Cheddar cheese soufflé and stone fruit chutney.

Sweet pea and carrot soup.

Mixed seasonal salad with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette or Caesar dressing.

Main courses.

Roast rack of lamb with herb crust, basil and tomato jus, crushed peas and potatoes fondants.

Vineet Bhatia’s crab coconut cream curry with fragrant rice.

Corn-fed breast of chicken, warm roast vegetable and mizuna leaf salad with lemon and tarragon dressing.

Fresh cooked pasta with your choice of cherry tomato and oregano or creamy mushroom sauce with freshly grated Grana Padano cheese.

Always available.

The great all-day English breakfast

Sandwiches (smoked salmon, cheese and cucumber, gammon ham, spinach and tomato, sliced mature Cheddar cheese and Branston pickle.

Warm fruit scones with clotted cream and strawberry preserve (Jam to us Brits).

Chicken Tikka Masala

Hot Bacon roll.

Dessert.

Cheese – Fountains Gold, Stilton, Bougon Chevre, St Nectaire and unpasturised Kirkham’s Lancashire cheese.

Summer pudding.

White Chocolate, dark chocolate and toffee torte with Earl Grey crème anglaise.

Fruit.

Wine.

Champagne
Krug or Piper Heidsieck Rare

White
Meursault 2000 – Chartron et Trebuchet
Chassagne-Montrachet, Marquis de Laguiche 2001
Sancerre La Chapelle Des Augustins 2002
Enda Valley Chardonney 2000

Red
Chateau du Terte 1996 Grand Cru Classe Margaux
Chivite Coleccion 125 Reserva, Navarra
Buehler Napa Valley Zinfandel 1998.

Dessert wine
Chateau Filhot 1998

Port
Warre’s 1986 Reserve Tawny Port

I had the soup, lamb (and those crushed peas swimming in fresh mint were the highlight of the menu). I was full after that but John insisted that I have the death by chocolate dessert – I was glad that he insisted. All of this was washed down by that excellent Zinfandel. Well we were going to California so it only seemed fair to drink the local wine.

I loved the “eat what you want when you want approach”. We had a bacon roll mid flight and the Full English Breakfast before we arrived in San Francisco, utterly sated and pretty well picked in Krug and Zinfandel – but not really fans of J-Lo and Ralph Finnes.

SFO-LAX American Airlines.

Back to reality with the short hop down to LAX. 16E and 16F on an MD80, plenty of legroom, and quickly relieved of $10 for a couple of beers. There were no clouds on route and the views of California were breathtaking.

Ritz Carlton Marina Del Rey

Like all Ritz Carlton Hotels this one combined luxury with impeccable service. We had Club Level rooms, which mean you have a separate lounge with about free five food and beverage presentations daily.

The Jerne Restaurant is well known in LA for its Fusion Cooking. Its reputation is well deserved. The Hot Rock dishes are interesting in that you get a huge hot stone and a load of raw food to cook on it. They also provide mini barbeques in plate-sized boxes so you can enjoy the charcoal taste inside at table. It never occurred to me until writing this how they prevent the things from smoking!

29th August LAX-SFO.

We managed to fly out of LAX a week before the new Admiral’s Club opened and the old one was a real hole. Another MD80, this time in 8A and 8B. Another $10 for another couple of beers.

Superb views again which made me wish we had taken the time to drive up the coast road instead of flying.

Ritz Carlton San Francisco.

Even more luxurious than the one in LA – but due to the huge selection of nearby Chinese, Italian, Mexican and Garlic (yes Garlic – try it, “The Stinking Rose”.) we didn’t eat in the hotel at all apart from using the Club Room to top up between meals.

1st September SFO-LHR BA 284

I have flown out of SFO 4 times in the last year (First this time, twice in Club and once in WT+) and on no occasion was the airport busy or any of the lines long.

The First Lounge was a little disappointing – just a separate room within the Terraces lounge but nothing different in terms of food and drink. For a while there was only the two of us. Then our fellow First passengers arrived. They were all part of some Italian Sailing Team – all wearing matching T-Shirts and Trainers. They slept all the way back to London.

It was a 747-400 in the 38 NCW config. There were only 4 people in Club on the lower deck - but First was full.

We were handed the wash bags and sleep suits immediately we took our seats in 5E and 5F again. Piper and nuts before take off.

Changed into the sleeper suits once airborne – does anyone get that momentary weird feeling when changing in an aircraft toilet that has a window? (But then it could only be that strange little imp out of the Twilight Zone William Shatner episode that could catch you with your keks down.)

I selected Basic – a new John Travolta film and settled down to absorb the menu.

First courses.

Centre cut of cured salmon with crème fraiche.

Basil, pine nut and Goat cheese torte with pepper salad.

Wild mushroom soup.

Mixed seasonal salad with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette or Caesar dressing.

Main courses.

Shank of lamb, olive mash and roast root vegetables.

Braised Duck with Rosti potatoes and sautéed Savoy cabbage.

Ginger King Prawns with Apricot and lemon couscous salad.

Freshly cooked penne pasta with either tomato and olive ragout, or creamy mushroom sauce with Parmesan cheese.

Always available.

The great all-day English Breakfast.

Continental Breakfast.

Hot bacon roll.

Sausages, grainy mustard mash and caramelised onion gravy.

Desserts.

Cheese board (not specified on this menu)

Nectarine and blueberry crumble and cinnamon crème anglaise.

Vanilla panna cotta with mixed berries.

Fruit.

Wine.

Champagne
Piper Heidsieck Rare

White Wines
Same as outbound minus the Meursault 2000 – Chartron et Trebuchet.

Red wines
Same as outbound plus Carmet Dynamite North Coast Merlot 1999.

Same dessert wine and Port.

I took the soup and the duck. My wife was getting on well with the CSD and let it slip that this was our 10th anniversary. Mrs Edi-traveller said she was disappointed that there was no Krug on the menu tonight. A couple of minutes later the CSD arrived with a bottle of Krug in an ice bucket which she left with us to drink at our leisure.

Eventually, after trying to watch some poor un-erotic twaddle called “The Secretary”, which didn’t ignite any desires to join the mile high club, tenth anniversary or not (perhaps it was the fear of the Twilight Zone Demon), we settled down under our duvets. Pity the divider between the middle seats doesn’t retract all the way down!!

Woke an hour out of LHR, a little worse for the bottle of Krug and diluted the effects with a full English breakfast each.

On landing we were pushed for time so headed back over to Terminal One and used the shower facilities there and stocked up on Molly Brown goods.

2nd September LHR-EDI.

Not the best way to top off a superb anniversary trip. Seats 1A and 1B. Usual Deli Bag sandwich was a real come down after a week or so of First Class Living.

But then it’s back to reality now. This trip was a superb way to celebrate, and the BA First Flights were on time, flawless and added to the experience.

Thanks BA (and to the Ritz Carlton as well)!!!

[This message has been edited by edi-traveller (edited 09-24-2003).]
Old Sep 22, 2003, 6:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm amazed you got seats 8A and B on an MD-80, 8A is my favorite seat and no matter how far before I book I can never snag the seats! But if I can't sit in them, I'm glad a fellow Flyertalker is! Also, nice report.

------------------
DC-10's Forever!
Congratulations to the Talkboard winners and thank you to those who voted for me.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 3:33 am

Thanks edi-traveller, great trip report :-).

Am very impressed - sounds like a fantastic holiday. Happy 10th anniversary.

Boo
(under 4 years until my 10th anniversary - better get planning...! ;-))
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Great report. But I didn't find any mention of said "Magnificent Octopus"
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mAAine_flyer:
Great report. But I didn't find any mention of said "Magnificent Octopus" </font>
Sorry - reference which Brits may recognise from a comedy programme called "Blackadder".

The thick manservant Baldrick presents Blackadder with his novel - and refers to it as his "magnificent octopus". Of course he is illiterate but meant to say "Magnum Opus"
Old Sep 23, 2003, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
Sorry - reference which Brits may recognise from a comedy programme called "Blackadder".

The thick manservant Baldrick presents Blackadder with his novel - and refers to it as his "magnificent octopus". Of course he is illiterate but meant to say "Magnum Opus"
</font>
Atually, I figured that was what you meant. But then when I came to the part of your report detailing the un-erotic inflight movie and potential membership of the mile high club I wondered if maybe you meant something quite different entirely

Keep up the good work Baldrick!
Old Sep 23, 2003, 2:59 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Nice report, and congratulations! I like the added touch of having your own bottle of Krug on ice. Very nice.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Ah... my fond memories of BA First have been rekindled with your excellent report. I may just have to go out and book me another First Class seat to London and Australia! Thanks for this fine report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.