Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-MIA-DFW-ORD-ANC-ORD in 36 hours on AA first

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2003, 5:45 am
Original Poster

LAX-MIA-DFW-ORD-ANC-ORD in 36 hours on AA first

It seems to me that many people consider us on the FT board quite UNIQUE. Our love o flying and of mileage runs can really be summarized in my opinion in my short weekend trip.
I left my wife and daughter on Friday Sept 19 for a 40 hour trip. This trip was part of a One World Explorer first class trip. I had 6 North American segments left and the trip was scheduled as LAX-MIA-DFW-ORD-ANC-ORD-LAX. I am writing this report in the lounge at ORD awaiting my last ORD-LAX segment. I did not think that this MR would be enjoyable but it was a blast.

SEGMENT 1 LAX-MIA
This flight AA 248 is the only flight on this routing with three classes of service a la JFK. I chose this routing because of hurricane Isabel and did not want to get stuck on the East Coast. The 777 was parked at gate 48B at LAX just having arrived from MIA. This had the first class section with the FLAGSHIP SUITES. I always check, as just the day before the first class seating map showed the coffin seating. First Class was packed as was Business Class.
The 1:45 PM departure included Lunch. I guess that since we arrived in MIA at 9:30PM dinner would be served. Oh well... I arrived at my seat 3J in this immaculate first class section. Despite having flown on many FLAGSHIP SUITE segments, I still love the layout and seat itself. I was offered water or OJ or some DOMAINE CHANDON sparkling wine. Menus were handed out before departure.

Warm Nuts and Crudite
Salad
Fresh Greens with Smoked Salmon, Thai Chicken and roasted vegetables. Choice of creamy garlic dill or vinagarette dressing. THE SALAD was EXCELLENT.

Entree selection
Citrus Grilled Fillet of Beef
Chiptole Shrimp with Pumpkin Sauce
Mushroom Lasagne
Grilled Caesar Chicken Salad
AA made a BIG error on loading the entrees. They loaded 7 of the caesar salads, and MANY of the passengers were upset with this. However I grabbed a lasagne and was happy. Dessert was ice cream sundae.

What was great about this flight was the IFE. The movie selections were good but the personal DVD selection was outstanding.

Flying time 4 hours and 4 minutes. I stayed in the MIA International Airport Hotel which is very convenient. Incidentally for any who are interested their room service is excellent. Great Chicken Club with fries.

Next morning I headed to gate B11 where the 777 was parked that would take me to DFW. Now for many of you who know, grabbing a first class seat in A class ( first class on a OWE ) is difficult this seat proved almost impossible to get. Thanks to AA RTW desk and SARAH in particular for helping me out. They were able to find inventory. On this segment the meal was breakfast. I headed to my seat of 1J ( my new favorite seat ) and had a glass of apple juice. Flight time was 2 hours and 2o minutes to DFW. Breakfast was a choice of omeleete with black bean cause or a fresh fruit plate with Special K cereal. I had the omelette which was fabulous. I usually do not eat breakfast and am I glad that I made the exception. This MIA-DFW flight was packed. Great to take this 777. As a matter of fact, after the stop in DFW this plane headed on to LAX. The FA turned on the IFE and one had the ability to see the entertainment program that is set up to be seen by passengers from the US to the UK.

DFW-ORD
Well I headed to the AC for a diet coke. This segment would be handled by a Super 80. I had arrived at gate A19 for my departure. No sooner had I sat down than a CHATTY CATHY sat down next to me and immediately started questioning me about my MAC powerbook, its size, the beautiful "silver" color. Well the rest is history. I totally ignored this talkative man, who actually broke my air adapter to my MAC when he was getting out of his seat to go to the restroom. I kid you not...this man actually did not shut up...I was afraid he would not take a breath at one time. He then commented that I was going to Alaska. I finally said to him " How do you know that I am going to Alask" and of course he replied....." I wasnt evesdropping but I heard you talk to you wife on the telephone!!
Anyway the food choices were chicken salad on focaccia or a shrimp pasta salad. Dessert was Milano cookies. Flying time only 1 hour and 40 minutes.

ORD-ANC
Fellow FTers....this was the suprise flight of the entire trip. It was absolutely excellent. I had gone to the AC and then walked to gate K15 where the 757 was parked. This was a 3 PM departure with a dinner service in first. I was delighted to see that I had two seats to myself.. Upon boarding two wonderful FA asked for my drink order...they told us that the bar was open and we could order anything. I had a ginger ale. Flying time to ANC was 5 hours and 57 minutes.
The menu was extraordinary
TO START
Cocktails and warm nuts
SALAD
Greens with Italian ham, hijama, fresh tomatoes, cheese and a choice of herb vinagarette or oriental "java" type dressing. I chose the latter. This salad was was the biggest and best salad I have had on AA in years. The salad alone would have been enough with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and a couple of sesame seed rolls.

ENTREE
Fillet Mignon with potatoes
Seared Salmon with oriental sauce, rice and vegeatebles
Chicken Breast with Vegetables

DESSERT
Ice Cream Sundae
or
Caramel Flan

Before landing in ANC a full cheese plate with crackers, Stilton cheese and Gouda was to be served to every passenger. The meal was one of the best I have ever had on a AA flight. THE IFE was typical 757 nothing special. I had brought some DVD with me to occupy my time. We landed in ANC on time.

I literally had a cup of coffee in the ANC airport, and boarding was announced for the ANC-ORD flight. This was a red eye and everyone slept. Snack of pizza or chicken wrap was offered.....My hands are getting a little tired of typing so more later....
Old Sep 21, 2003, 9:54 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
This sounds spectacular...good on AA...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Sep 21, 2003, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA5MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RTW4:
AA made a BIG error on loading the entrees. They loaded 7 of the caesar salads, and MANY of the passengers were upset with this. </font>
It seems like AA is doing this often. On my LAX-JFK 8:00am departure, the choice of breakfast in P was:

1) Bagel with lox
2) Omelet
3) French toast
4) Cereal

For completely full cabin (9 pax), they loaded 2 bagels, 2 omelets, 1 french toast, and 4 cereals. AA definately needs to fix these catering problems!

Old Sep 21, 2003, 3:35 pm

You mentioned personal DVD players in the 777 in Flagship First. Is that right? I thought the Flagship Suites used 8mm tapes as their on-demand video, while DVD players are for 762s and 763s in F (int'l and three-class transcon) and J (int'l).

Is different entertainment used on 777s when in Transcon mode, replacing 762 three-class planes and therefore using the 762 entertainment system? Seems weird -- lots of extra weight and complexity, when the 777s already include the in-seat player and screen.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Nice to see you're back in the air, RTW4. I'm looking forward to the next installment
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:33 pm

were you able to use the flagship lounge in lax or ord? i know that mia nd dfw were closed down

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.