Wiki Posts
Search

OZ J HKG-ICN-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2003, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

OZ J HKG-ICN-SFO

Hi all,

Here is my second flight report @ this flight was a cheap J discounted ticket I bought in HK (costs about $1000US including tax). A good deal, especially the ticket was still booked in C.

August 12, 2003
OZ 302 HKG-ICN Lv1300 Arr1730
Boeing 747-400 Combi HL7417
I checked in at the airport express station and a Jardine staff took care of me. I got all the boarding passes and headed to the airport. OZ used the Dragon air lounge in Hong Kong and there was nice food buffet, including sandwiches, Russian Brotsch soup, fruits, some packaged snacks, and a nice bowl of pineapple fried rice. In terms of plane spotting, there was an Korean Air’s A330-200 HL7538, EVA Air’s A330-200 (brand new), and SQ’s Boeing 747-400 (9V-SMT). Our plane arrived early from Seoul this morning, so boarding began on time at 12:27pm. On the combi aircraft, J class was located in the upper deck. J class was fairly empty this afternoon and I had the pair of seat to myself. The J seats at the Boeing 747-400 were definitely on the basic side and legroom was limited to 48 inches, but at least OZ installed a basic personal TV at each seat (no AVOD). The recline was fine though. The usual pre-takeoff beverage choice of OJ, water, and champagne was passed out, followed by newspapers and headsets and slippers. Menus were passed out after safety demonstration. Door was closed early at 12:53pm and we pushed back ten minutes later. We took off from Runway 7R at 1:26pm.

Our flight route took us to 26,500ft toward Guangzhou, Shaoguan, Hangzhou, and Jiaxing, before climbing to 37,000ft towards Shanghai, Jeju, Gwangju and Gamsan. Flying time was a quick three hours. After takeoff, entertainment programs were immediately started with KBS Korean news, and usual short programs, including Korean’s latest music videos @ my favorite @ Fly To the Sky’s “Missing You” @ Brian and Fany are so cute… wow, they were buffed up late (omitting lines of praises)… sorry for this blurb… just need to promote them. Personal TV features some movies but I decide to read instead.

Hot towel was passed out after takeoff and there was an initial beverage service with a pack of macadamia nuts. The meals were served then.

Hong Kong to Seoul
Appetizer
Roasted Duck Breast, Smoked Salmon, Black Mushroom
A nice appetizer plate @ breadbasket features Soft and Italian rolls

Mixed Green Salad
French Dressing
Iceberg lettuce, endives, and shredded carrots

Beef tenderloin Steak served with Morel Mushroom Sauce, accompanied by Parisienne Potato, Broccoli Floret, Yellow Zucchini and Red Capsicum
Or
Braised Eel served with soya sauce, Presented with Steamed Rice and Pak Choy
Or
Braised Chicken served with Shallot and black bean sauce, accompanied by steamed rice and Chinese Vegetables
An okay entrée

Cheese & Fresh Fruit
Brie & Swiss cheese with walnuts, figs, dried pineapples, and grapes

Tiramisu Cake

I had a nice cup of tea with lemon after dinner and the rest of the flight went by quietly. As usual, there was a lack of drink patrol but the F/As responded to call buttons quickly. The key in flying Asiana is to use the call button @ don’t be shy! Descent began at 3:57pm and we landed on R/W33R at 5:26pm. We arrived at gate 8 a few minutes later.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO Lv1930 Arr1420
Boeing 777-200 HL7700 @ EmPower port in J
The Asiana business class lounge was nice as usual and there was still the full salad bar, soup bowl and a nice hot buffet. Nice additions to the lounge! There was extra passport check at our gate, Gate 7, as all US bound flights. Random passengers were selected for additional carryon bag checks. The flight to SFO was 100% full and J class was no difference. The Boeing 777 was pretty familiar to me. The usual pre-takeoff activities took place and I had a nice glass of orange juice. Noise-canceling headsets were offered on all Boeing 777 flights. Boarding began at 6:59pm and the door was closed on time at 7:30pm. We pushed back two minutes later and headed towards R/W33L. We took off at 7:43pm. Seat belt sign was turned off six minutes later and service began then. There was no separate beverage service, since it was a supper flight. Our choice of beverage was served with our appetizer and salad. Here is the menu transcript @ the wine list was the same as my previous July SEA-ICN flight in J.

Seoul to San Francisco
Appetizer
High Quality Fresh Ginseng Slices, Steamed Shredded Chicken, Fresh Chestnut, Carrot, Cucumber
Surprising nice @ the appetizer was a nice fusion of Asian and Western flavors and ingredients.

Mixed Green Salad
Served with Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing
A basic lettuce salad with olives and cherry tomato
Breadbasket had nice soft rolls, garlic bread, and Italian rolls

Tenderloin Steak
Accompanied by Carrot and Chateau Potatoes Flavored with peppercorn sauce
Or
Deep Fried Lobster
Served with Black bean sauce presented with fried rice and mixed vegetables
I had the lobster, which was surprisingly good. The lobster chunks were surprisingly tender and tasty.

Fresh Fruit and Assorted Cheese
Brie and Hard cheese, accompanied by a nice piece of ripe melon, pear and grapes

Vanilla Ice Cream enhanced by chocolate sauce
An okay ice cream cake @ the vanilla ice cream is definitely cheap stuff @ not creamy enough.

Korean Course
“Bi Bim Bab”
A traditional Korean Rice dish with fresh vegetable and hot spicy sauce served with Korean Bean Sprout Soup and side dish

Refreshments
Selection of Sandwiches
Seasonal Fruit
Hot Ramen

The flight path took us over Gangneung before reaching 33,000ft, and hitting Oki, Tokyo, and then climbing further to 34,000ft, and then 35,000ft and then 37,000ft once passed the International Date Line, and then further up to 38,000ft. There was personal TV on OZ’s Boeing 777 but no AVOD, but there is a game menu. I had a bowl of hot ramen noodle after passing the International date line and there was one pass of orange juice. But the F/As were good in responding to call buttons. However, no eye shades and earplugs were passed out after supper. You have to request them now, but the toothbrush set, shaving set and mouthwash packs were still available in the J lavatories. Now the worst part of the flight @ for whatever reason, I don’t think it is necessary to serve the last meal three hours prior to landing. At 3am Seoul time, lights were all turned on and juice and hot towels were passed out. I really don’t know if it is necessary to wake passengers up three hours prior to arrival. The meal can be easily served within an hour. I know it takes longer to serve meals in Y, but I guess OZ should follow other airlines and serve the last meal two hours prior to arrival. Well, as expected, not many people took part with the snack.

Snack
Appetizer
Smoked Salmon with poached Scallop Roll, Chicken with vegetable roll, Capaccio Salad
A nice appetizer plate @ but I guess it would be nicer if OZ can serve breakfast instead of another full meal.

Beef Brochette flavored with Bulgogi Sauce accompanied with steamed rice
The beef was tender and the sauce was tasty.
Or
Grilled Sea Bass flavored with mushroom sauce, presented with baked potato, Broccoli

Peach Cake
Absolutely delicious @ a nice cake!

Well snack took an hour to serve and the F/A dimmed the light again after the tea and coffee and duty free service! Really don’t get it! Descent took plate at 5:30am ICN time. We were circling a bit as traffic must be heavy at this time of the day. We soon landed on R/W28L at 2:08pm SFO time. A beautiful day in the bay area! We were soon parked at gate G97 @ no trouble passing INS and custom since I have no bags. This set of Asiana flights were not as good as before but I guess the full flight must have something to do with it. Asiana still needs to do some work before catching up with other Asian airlines. Well, the price is good though. I will definitely fly OZ in the future.

Carfield
Old Sep 3, 2003, 6:53 pm

Greetings Carfield,

Undoubtedly, that $1,000 fare is one-way, or hopefully I'm mistaken and its a roundtrip? I was wondering too about the recline\pitch of the J seats, as I've strongly considered flying OZ ICN-SFO. How does it compare to say a UA C\C+ seat as far as recline\getting a good sleep? Thank you again if you can address those issues.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Well, I think UA C+ is better than OZ regular J, but not regular UA C.

The recline is well, okay, but pitch is still the old standard of 50" and I don't think Asiana will likely to change.

The $1000USD is for one way, but the RT fare is actually much better, but don't want to buy a RT because I am not sure when I am going back. I bought it at www.tiglion.com. The RT should be like $1500USD. (HKG to any West Coast US destination).

But service wise, Asiana is better... the meal service is more elaborate, but no amenity kit... just slippers and toothbrush sets at the bathrooms.

Carfield
Old Sep 9, 2003, 2:01 pm

Delayed thank you for the info. I'm sure I'll be on an OZ plane sometime real soon. Anytime I need to get a feel for an airline and its service (inflight and checkin, etc)that I have yet to try, I keep an eye out for one of your reports. Thanks Again (from one of your many readers) and good luck on an operational UG!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.