Part 1: Asiana (OZ) 221 - JFK-ICN in F with Pictures

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2003, 3:35 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

This is first of several trip reports that I will post regarding my trip to BALI from Toronto . I am going to write this in installments. Each installment will represent a segment of the trip excluding the AC segment which was short and uneventful. I did, however, included pictures of the Maple Leaf Lounge for Air Canada.

I have included pictures of my trip. I referenced these pictures in my report... They are located here:

http://public.fotki.com/ACfly/air_tr...iana_oz_221_-/

My Itinerary is as follows:

YYZ-LGA-JFK-ICN-HKG-DPS on AC (J), OZ (F), CX (J)
Return:
DPS-HKG-ORD-LGA-YYZ on CX (J), UA (F), AC (J)

Part 1: New York-Seoul on Asiana - First Class
Part 2t: Seoul-Hong Kong - Aisiana Airlines - First Class
Part 3: Hong Kong- Bali - Cathay Pacific - Business Class
Part 4t: BALI highlights
Part 5: Hong KONG Highlights
Part 6: Hong Kong-Chicago - United - First Class

Review of First Segment:
Flight: Asiana flight 221
Route: JFK-ICN with a refueling stop in ANC
Aircraft Type: 747-400
Class: First Class
Departure: August 29, 2003 (Friday) 02:45
Arrival: August 31, 2003 (Sunday) 0900

Arrived at JFK Terminal 4 at 21:00h and checked in. The check-in counter had separate lines for First Class, Business Class and Economy passengers. There was only one agent for the first class line and the line was long... It took about 20 minutes before I was checked in... I discovered while waiting in line, that most of the people in this line were not traveling First class, but rather Business. I saw the agent put Business class tags on the luggage. It seemed that Asiana did not enforce the class system...(see pictures)

The agent was quick and efficient and she informed me that the flight was going to be delayed. She was not very talkative and did not smile.. I was given a pass to the First class lounge.

FIRST CLASS LOUNGE:
Asiana uses the Swiss Airlines Lounge which is also shared with SQ. The lounge is located before security, and is rather small.. The right hand side of the lounge is the Business class and the left hand side is the First Class section. From what I gathered, both are exactly the same, except the Firrst Class has less people. By the time I left the lounge, the Business Section was a zoo. All the Flight Attendants congregated in there.

The agents (if you can call them that) manning the lounge were not airline employees. They seemed to be more of a high school summer students.. Highly talkative, no sense of professionalism or manners at all. One kept entering the First Class Lounge to get drinks. (See pictures)

First impression: "that's it?!!": it was small, and hot. Because it was a open-concept lounge, it was noisy... I could hear the constant adolescent chit chats of the agents manning the front desk. There was a small room that had three cubicles - two of them had computers hooked up to the internet, and the other had a phone with free local and 800 calls. They had a shower room and two washrooms (which weren't very clean!)

I was famished and went to see if there was food in the lounge - there was NOTHING other than a fridge full of beverages and some chocolates. There was a buffet setup but all the food was gone. I decided to go the food court below the lounge. I purchased a burrito and brought it back into the lounge.

I was informed by the agent that the flight would be delayed by 3 hours and would be leaving at 02:40h in the morning. I was also told that the lounge would close at midnight.

At midnight, I left the lounge, cleared security and proceeded to gate B26. There, I sat on the bench with the rest of the tired travelers waiting to board the flight in 3 hours time. (See pictures)

At 02:40h, boarding commenced, and First and Business class were asked to board first.

I was greeted upon boarding the cabin and was shown to my seat 1A. First class cabin had 12 seats with a 2-2 configuration (See pictures). My first impression of the cabin was the color: odd color combination: Seats were a mix of Fuchsia (purple) and Red while the cabin was tan . The seats were sleeper seats and reclined 180 Degrees. They were quite comfortable. The seats did not have power outlets for laptops... This didn't really matter to me since I bought an extra battery for my Apple just in case.

The color of the FA's uniforms was also rather unpleasant - it's this ugly brownish orange (forgot to take the pictures)... Looked like the 70's kind of color. YUK! The FA's, on the other hand, were young and attractive females - very humble

IFE was rather archaic. No AVOD. Each seat had small PVT with about 5 movies and a bunch of music channels. The movies played on a continuous loop. I didn't bother watching any of the films, since I brought my own DVD movies to play on my Apple PowerBook 15inch screen! The laptop screen was amazing and the folks next to me were watching from my laptop. My Apple laptop was able to play an entire 2h50m movie, and still had battery left. It just amazes me what Apple can do.

Amenities:
The FA had placed on each seat prior to boarding a down comforter, a blanket, and a silk pillow. The FA passed out nice comfortable slippers, eye shades, ear plugs and a amenity kit made by Bulgari. Inside the Bulgari amenity case were lip balm, body lotion, aftershave emulsion, shampoo, serviette, and shaving gel - nothing particularly useful for the flight. .

No Pajamas were provided.

There were two washrooms in First Class... They were just regular airline washrooms. There was a tray on the counter that had toothbrushes, razors, perfume, colognes, and small vase with flowers. Other than that, nothing special from any other airline washrooms.

Hot towels were handed out and pre-departure drinks were offered along with nice toasted mix of nuts.

Then the safety video came on.. It was weird. Instead of using real people, Asiana used computer generated characters (like the SIMs computer game characters) to do the safety demonstration... There was a small section of the screen that had a female flight attendant doing sign language. It looked really cheesy...

Menus were handed out. On this flight we had three big meals: (1) Snack (but they should really should have called it dinner right after leaving JFK, 2) Supper served right after leaving ACN and 3) Breakfast - an hour and a half before landing in ICN. (See Pictures)

After take off, the FA went around to set the table... A fresh carnation flower was placed on each table, which was a nice touch.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">MENU: Snacks
(1) Selection of Canapé
(2) Chicken Consommé or Cream of Mushroom
(3) Entree choice of :
(a)" Bi Bim Bab" - A traditional Korean rice dish with Fresh vegetables and hot spicy sauce. Served with Korean Bean sprout Soup.
or
(b) Mixed Seafood - Fried of Lobster, Scallop, Shrimp, Monk Fish Flavored with Hong Kong Sauce
or
(c) Chicken Crepe - Stuffed with Chicken mushroom assorted vegetable enhanced by mushroom Sauce

To compliment your meal choice: Assorted Potato, Parsley Potato, Steamed Rice, Red Capsicum, Broccoli florets, spinach

(4) Seasonal Fresh Fruit

(5) Coffee - Regular Decaffeinated, Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee
Tea - Asian Tea Garden Service

* You may wish to try one of Asiana's special touches - extra olive oil - as a healthier alternative to butter, to be served with Bread.</font>
I am not much of a wine/champagne drinker, so I didn’t have any... But here's the list:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Champagne:
Taittinger Comtes De Champagne 1995
Piper - Heidiseick Brut

Red Wine:
Chateau Boyd Cantenac 1988
Gevrey Chambertin 1998
Merlot 1996 Chateau Ste Michelle (American)

White Wine:
Pouilly-Fuisse 1997
Chardonnay 1998, Indian Wells Wineyard, Chateau Ste Michelle (American)</font>
The canapés were OK, nothing spectacular -Grilled chicken w/ dried peppers, Cream cheese on Celery, Shrimp

Chicken Consume: Very favorable chicken chunks... Broth was a tad salty.

Entree was plated from the selection cart - choice of starch beautifully presented. I had the Mixed Seafood - delicious chunks of seafood, including lobster, shrimp, and scallops with Spinach, Broccoli and white steamed rice. (See pictures)

Hot towels were given out before and after the meals.

I was so full, I could not eat the Fresh fruit (which was plated from the cart). But I did have coffee which was individually brewed

Throughout the flight, there was the refreshment bar in the center of the First Class Cabin which had an assortments of alcoholic and no-alcoholic drinks.

In addition, one could order food at any time, and they included:
(1) Udon
(2) Hot Ramen
(3) Selection of Sandwiches
(4) Seasonal Fruit
(5) Cookies

Right after the Snack service, all the passengers (except I!) went to sleep, and the cabin lights were turned off. I was the lone sole (in the entire plane as I soon discovered) with the lights on and watching movies on my laptop. I wanted to stay up so I can quickly transition to the new time zone.

After my movie, I decided to take a walk around the plane... The plane was packed... There were maybe two J seats available and about 2-3 Y seats. Every passenger was sound asleep. I went to the upper deck, which was all Business Class), and I could clearly see that the seats were pretty good J seats with a decent pitch. I went into the Y cabin, and, unfortunately, the seats didn't look all that comfortable.. The pitch was awful with very poor recline from what I saw...

I returned back to seat and the FA asked me if I wanted anything.. I said no, and proceeded to finish my movie.

Prior to landing in ANC for refueling, hot towels and drinks (orange/Champagne/water) were passed out.

Service was outstanding and typical of the top Asian airlines like SQ and CX ... I was always addressed by name.. One time as I was about to make my walk through the J and Y class, the FA saw me coming and thought I was going to the washroom. She opened the washroom door for me..I gave her the no signal and she blushed When I did go to the washroom, the FA told me to wait for a sec... She went in and made sure it was cleaned and then invited me it. Yup it was clean alright!! You don't ever see North American FA's doing that do you!!

We landed at ANC for refueling stop and crew change at 10:30h EST. Everyone had to deplane and we were told not to leave the transit area.. First and Business class passengers were invited into the lounge on the second floor. It was a comfortable lounge with non-alcoholic refreshments. Nothing fancy about it. Weather in Alaska was cloudy and a cool 16 Degrees Celsius.. Duty Free shop and restaurant were opened. It was a nice hour stop to get out of the plane and smell the fresh cool Alaskan air.

We left exactly 60 minutes after landing... There was a fresh set of crew. Boarding this time was a little bit more chaotic. I boarded and immediately, one of the FA saw that I had a F class ticket took my bag and walked me to my seat. Asiana, like other airlines, color code their tickets. Red = F Class, Blue = J, I think White = Y... so they were able to know right away when a F class passenger boarded.

Pre-flight drinks were taken and hot towels were handed out. Macadamia nuts were passed out as well along with the drinks... I ordered the Ginseng tea, and loved it.. Guess what I was drinking throughout the flight: GINSENG Tea.

Once we were airborne, the Supper Menu was passed out...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">SUPPER MENU:
(1) Hors d'oeuvre - Smoked Norwegain salmon with cream, Proscuito with Parmesan Tuliee, Foie Gras on Binoche and Red Onion Confit
(2) Mixed Seasonal Green Salad - Basil Vinaigrette or Thousand Island Dressing
(3) Choice of:
(a) Beef Steak - accompanied with Herb Butter
(b) Korean Royal Cuisine - a traditional Korean Cuisine with Steamed Rice and assorted side dishes
(c) Roasted Chicken Breast - Enhanced by Chasseur Sauce
To compliment your meal choice we offer: assorted potato, Herb Roasted Potato, Baby Steamed Turnip, Bok-choy, Carrot, Asparagus, French Green Beans Bundle
(4) Selection of Cheese
(5) Seasonal Fresh Fruit
(6) New York Cheese Cake
(7) Coffee/ Tea
(8) Assorted Petit Fours</font>
The food this time was WONDERFUL! (See pictures) Hors D'oevres was perfect and flavorful. The salad was hearty. I had the Chicken accompanied with ****ake mushrooms. and it was truly delicious. The entree, and cheese were served table side so I could pick as much starch, vegetable and cheese as I wanted. I was completely stuffed by the eight course!

Not having slept for 30 hours, I thought I would take a nap. Called the FA, and she made the bed. She put together the Down comforter and mattress for the seat and handed out a nice pillow.. Fell asleep until two hours prior to arriving in ICN.

An hour and a half prior to landing at ICN, FA took our breakfast orders.

Breakfast was rather disappointing if one wanted a hot Western Breakfast (because there was none).

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">BREAKFAST MENU:
(1) Fresh Orange Juice
(2) Seasonal Fruit Appetizers
(3) Fruit Yogurt
(4) A Choice of:
(a) "Seol-Long-Tan" - A famous Korean style of Beef Soup served with Steamed Rice and Side Dish
(b) Cereal - Raisin Brand and Corn Flakes served with Fresh and Low Fat Milk
(5) Assorted Breakfast Bread - served with Butter, Jam, Marmalade and Honey
(6) Coffee or tea</font>
I was rather ambitious and decided to have the Korean breakfast. (See pictures) Wow! is the only thing I can say.... There must have been more than 10 dishes on this tray (see picture). the main dish was the beef noodle and all the other 9 dishes were side dishes and included: Kimchi, Rice, Pickled Daikons, pickled fish, and some other dishes that I can't seem to figure out.

If you want to shock your system into waking up, then I highly recommend you have this breakfast... Spicy is an understatement - that's all I can say... Very colorful and full of flavor if you like hot...Definitely not your typical breakfast....

Prior to landing in ICN, the FA handed a gift for First class passengers thanking them for flying Asiana. The gift was a Versace candle holder (I think, haven't opened mine)..

We landed at ICN and I made my way to my next flight to Hong Kong...

[This message has been edited by ACfly (edited 08-31-2003).]

[This message has been edited by ACfly (edited 08-31-2003).]

Last edited by ACfly; Jun 4, 2006 at 2:37 am Reason: Updated links
Old Sep 1, 2003, 3:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
ACfly -

AWESOME PICTURES!!!

These need another look later on today...simply WONDERFUL.

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Sep 1, 2003, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Nice picture show and report. Have been curious about OZ and was thinking of a transit through ICN from SIN to check them out. Think I will hold back this trip and consider it for next year in conjunction with some NH and SQ First STAR Award flying.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 5:05 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Excellent & detailled first part. I like your pictures. Especially the food looks really good.
What about the load in F?
Old Sep 2, 2003, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Great report!

I did not realize that SQ had switched from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 at JFK. I still always see the SQ 747 at Terminal 1. Was this a recent change?
Old Sep 2, 2003, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Those seats look amazing. How is the bed compared to other bed-like F seats?
They're so close together. It looks like it would be a great arrangement to fly with your SO on.

I'm surprised you mentioned having to use the battery on your laptop? Was there no in-seat power or do you not have an adapter?

Very nice!
JD
Old Sep 2, 2003, 8:48 pm

Fabulous report. Seats look like the JAL 747 I took recently. But with JAL, we were served a full lunch and excellent snack as the flight from LAX departed at 1 PM
Old Sep 3, 2003, 3:19 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
LH738 - First class was full from JFK-ICN.. All 12 seats were taken.

PresRDC: I don't travel on SQ so cant tell you if SQ changed terminals... There was SQ girl at the lounge welcoming SQ passengers. You can also see it in the picutres.. I just checked SQ website, and it says that Q uses the Swiss lounge. It may be a temporary thing..

Jet'Dillo: This is my first time flying F class. I have only flown Business class to date. I fly back in F class on United from Hong Kong on Sunday. United has a First Class suites.. and I will post my report on this flight (with pictures) and do a comparison of the two.

There was no inseat power in First Class... which was a surprise

Old Sep 4, 2003, 2:31 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Very detailed report and wonderful pictures. Thanks!

------------------
truly yours. airOli.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report so far - good to find out more about OZ
Old Sep 4, 2003, 5:41 am

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Great report. Love the pictures.

Is there any privacy screen between the two seats a la CX or UA?

I don't like sleeping next to strangers especially if they snore!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.