Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, Etihad Gold, Flying Blue Silver
AF DXB-CDG-YUL in J and Y!

AF527 B777-200 Dubai-Paris CDG

Sch. Dep: 0120 Sch. Arr: 0620
PB: 0126 TO: 0145 LD: 0616 Gate: 0620
Flying time: 6hr 31min
August 21 2003

It was time for me to go back to Montreal after having spent two and a half months with my parents in Dubai. I was originally scheduled to fly with BA in WT+ but after the Saudi Arabia incident, I switched to AF. We were booked in tempo all the way to Montreal. Check in was not crowded since we were there at around 11pm. The load sheet for the flight was next to an employee who was checking people's passports and tickets so I took a look. The flight was booked 4/12 in L'Espaces Premiere, 19/56 in L'Espaces Affaires, but it was overbooked by some 60 people in tempo. So, I asked the lady at the check in counter to consider us for operational upgrades (if they needed any) since we're members of Frequence Plus.

After buying a discman at the duty free we went to the gate and got our new seats in Business class, we were seated in row 7 (first row of second business class section). Business class filled up, with upgrades I guess. A really loud, obnoxious man sat right behind my mother and I. He wouldn't shut up (keep in mind it's 1:30AM!), even during the safety anouncements. Also, when we reclined our seats to go to bed, he put his feet up on my mother's seat. Some people have no class whatsoever. Pre-departure drinks of champagne or OJ were served. The champagne was quite good, both my mother and I enjoyed it. The amenity kits were already in the seat pockets, and the menus were passed out (along with hot towels) just before pushback.

Take off was quite smooth, hardly any bumps and about 45 minutes after take off they prepared our tray tables for a one-tray light meal. Here's the menu for the flight.

LIGHT MEAL

Eggplant with flaked poached salmon and ricotta cheese, calamari salad, smoked breast of duck, vegetable julienne and foie gras on toast.

Selection of cheese

Fresh fruit salad

They came around twice with bread (white and brown). I realy liked the salt and pepper shakers, very cute. The light meal was pretty good, except for the foie gras which I didn't particularly enjoy. They had three cheeses, one was brie, the other was blue cheese and the third one was cheddar.

After the meal I reclined my seat and watched a bit of Anger management, and then slept for a few hours. The seat on AF is good, but it's not the best (especially for the price of J). It was comfortable enough to sleep in and I woke up over Turkey and watched Anger management again (IFE on AF isn't the greatest).

Breakfast was served about an hour before landing, here's the menu:

BREAKFAST

International breakfast

Fruit juice
Coffee, tea, hot chocolate
Orange and Grapefruit segments
Yogurt

Omlette with sauteed mushrooms, chicken sausage and tomato filled with spinach

OR

Crepes with cinnamon apple filling, strawberry and raspberry compotes

Fresh bakery selection, breakfast pastries, butter and preserves

Continental breakfast

Juice, your hot beverage selection, fresh fruit, yogurt

Fresh bakery selection

I had the omlette, and it was good. They also came around with bread and croissants. The croissants were flakey and warm, and they tasted sooooo good! the service on this flight was ok. The flight attendants did their job, but that's about it. There was only one F/A that was really friendly but the rest just did their jobs.

We landed in dark Paris at 0616, with the sun just rising. Since our next flight to YUL was at 1640, we had coffee at the airport and headed out to Paris. It was amazing yet again, Paris never ceases to amaze me.

AF346 B747-400 Paris CDG-Montreal Dorval

Sch. Dep: 1640 Sch. Arr: 1805
PB:1705 TO:1728 LD:1825 Gate:1828
Flying Time: 6hr 57min
August 21 2003

Boarding commenced at 1555, and the gate area was a zoo. They were boarding the plane for almost 35 mins and the line was still VERY long, so we got up and waited in line. We were seated in row 19, the first section of economy on this plane. Economy class was VERY full. Menus were handed out before pushback. Here's the menu:

MEAL SERVICE

Seafood terrine, corn and broccoli salad

Filet of chicken with diable sauce and buttered carrots

OR

Ravioli with ricotta and basil tomato sauce

Camembert

Fresh Fruit

Plum tart

Coffee and tea

After TO, a drink service was done and then the meal serice commenced. I had the chicken, which was good, but it came with no carbs, just carrots. The portions were also very small. The salad and the terrine were quite good, as was the dessert. The fresh fruit was one kiwi (you had to remove the skin).

They showed some documentaries on the television (no PTVs) and bringing down the house, and some more boring documentaries, and obviously the news.

Just before landing a light snack was served (to call this a light meal as the menu does, is a joke).

A small tray was handed out with a small cheese sandwich, yogurt and a chocolate biscuit thing, which was really tasty!

We were put in a holding pattern above Montreal for about 15 mins and we finally landed at 1825, after us a LH A340 landed from MUC, good to see LH back in Montreal.

The service on this flight was alright, the male F/A serving us was not very friendly, and he didn't apologize when he spilled tea on the man sitting next to me. The man did scream at him though, which I think he deserved. There were, lots of cheery F/A's but they were serving the other sections of economy.

Dorval was really crowded, however we did manage to get into immigration early since we were some of the first ones off. The luggage belt broke down for ten minutes (surprise surprise...)

We finally got our stuff, took a cab to our appartment and we got there at about 1930...not bad at all!

AF is a good airline, BA is slightly better, but I'm a member of Frequence Plus so most of my trips to DXB are on AF. Hope you enjoyed my trip report!

Old Aug 23, 2003, 7:22 am

Programs: UA *G
You must have run into SR 103 at DXB. You seem to have both been in the airport at about the same time.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 6:01 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Thanks for the report. Glad you enjoyed Paris. It is a wonderful city and every time I go back there is something new to discover around the corner. It never ceases to amaze! AF quality of meals is always good overall, especially in the back of the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.