Kenya Airways LHR-NBO-JNB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2003, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.

I decided to do a MR from DFW-LAX-LHR over the Memorial Day weekend. My friend in Poland called and said he had a fews days free as well so we decided to go to S.Africa for 4 days. I was a lucky receipent of KLMs Match promo. or I wouldn't have been doing a 4 day trip to S.Africa in the first place.

Flew DFW-LAX-LHR on AA in F domestic and Biz. over the pond. Typical AA service which has been described a few times here already. I will say the flight from DFW to LAX was operated using an ex-TWA 757 and crew. I really felt sorry for those flight attendants as they were being furloughed as of July 1. Inspite of that they really provided top notch service. I even hugged the FA upon deplaning at LAX which she seemed to appreciate.

Arrived at LHR and after a quick security check went to the Flagship Lounge as I had a 6 hour layover and the arrivals lounge was already closed. They have two showers available there which really helps after the 15 hour trip from DFW.

Took the Heathrow Express free ride over to terminal 4 where my friend from Poland was waiting. Check-in for KQ opens at 4pm for the 8pm flight. We were the first in line for the Premier World position. KLM handles the ground services for KQ and the agent issued the boarding passes for the flights to NBO. She couldn't issue the one from NBO-JNB but no biggie really.

Went to the Holi-Deck lounge where a nice selection of snacks and drinks was available. They even have an observation level where we watched the Concorde take off for JFK. That was the first time I had ever seen one taking off. Quite loud even from behind the thick plated glass.

Boarding for KQ 101 started at 7:20 and it was basically a free for all. The flight was totally jammed as BA cancelled all their flight to NBO due to terrorist threats. I did have second thoughts about flying via NBO but when its your time......

KQ operates a 767 with a 2-1-2 config. in Premier World and a 2-3-2 in the back. Seats were comfortable and designed like the coffin AA seats. When the seat was reclined flat the leg rest touched the seat in front so not much extra space at all. We probably slept 6 out of the nine hours which is a record for me. A nice red leather amenity kit was passed out as well.

They had an in seat video selection which was OK as opposed to a Walkman player on the flight from NBO-JNB.

The nine flight attendants were all very friendly and seemed to all like their job. They said it was unfortunate we weren't staying in Kenya longer than an hour but I guess I'll just have to go back.

The food and service were pretty good. Probably rate it an 8 out of 10. After take off we were presented with Macadamia nuts and a smoked salmon appetizer.

The Dinner menu was as follows:

Appetiser
Chicken and vegetable terrine with a green salad.
(the dishes were very colorful and the dessert was also included on this tray which seemed a bit odd for a 9 hr. flight)

Main Course
Grilled Chicken Breast sauce chausser, Coriander rice, Broccoli and Carrots (had this one...was pretty decent)

Sole with a Fish Mousse in a Fish veloute sauce, Chateau potatoes, peppers and asparagus

Grilled Beef Fillet served with a peppercorn sauce, Lyonnaise potatoes, green beans and Carrots

Dessert
Farmhouse Apple Wedge with whipped cream (basically apple pie)

Selection of Fresh Bread

Assorted Fresh Fruits

Selection of Cheeses and Crudites (the cheese and fruits were brought around on a trolley)

Kenyan Coffee and Tea

Chocolate Truffle

Continental Breakfast

Fresh seasonal fruit salad
Fruit flavoured yoghurt
Fresh Orange Juice

Selection of breakfast breads

Kenyan Coffee and Tea

They carried the basic alcoholic drinks but no names as far as wines or champagnes were concerned. The champagne was some NV Laurent Perrier. They did offer Amarula which is my favourite African Baileys substitute.

We arrived right on time into NBO. Looks like the city from the air has grown since I last visited some 25 years ago

Got off the plane and headed to their Premier World lounge. Its OK with an ample selection of drinks, snacks, cheeses, and macadamia nuts. Couldn't resist taking a few of those even if I am on a diet. Somehow a Tusker beer which I've heard alot about ended up in my bag as well I asked about a shower and they said they did have a cold shower available....no thanks.

Went to the gate and waited a while. The plane today was a 767 which had just arrived from Dubai. Was surprised they could off load it and clean it in 45 mins. but they did. I was told this flight didn't offer the Premier World flat seats but was in a 2-2-2 config. Fortunately for us, it did offer the flat seats. Again, I slept for at least 2.5 hours on this trip. I def. arrived in JNB in better shape than if I had taken the KLM AMS-JNB nonstop.

The boarding was again a free for all. Crew on this flight were friendly as well. Amenity kits were also distributed even for a four hour flight. The breakfast was as follows:
Hot Breakfast
Chunky Kenyan Fruit Salad
Assorted Cereals
Fruit Yoghurt

Egg Vol-au-vent with Grilled Beef sausage and baked beans

Grilled Chicken Lyonnaise with Saute Mushrooms, Champ potatoes, and Spicy Grilled Tomatoes

Breads, Coffee, Tea

Flight was pleasant enough really. We departed and arrived right on time and baggage came out 10 mins. after we had arrived.

I would recommend KQ given the choice over KLM. I wouldn't however fly KQ in economy as the leg room looked non-existent.

[This message has been edited by MileTex (edited 05-31-2003).]
Old May 31, 2003, 6:00 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Thanks for the great report, MileTex!

I also have heard great things about KQ, and always wanted to take them to Kenya. Thanks!

Happy Travels!
Old May 31, 2003, 11:07 pm

Nice trip report on an airline very rarely reviewed here!
Old Jun 1, 2003, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Much appreciated. Thank you.

Edited to add :

Any advice on preferred seats in C?
johan

[This message has been edited by johan rebel (edited 06-01-2003).]
Old Jun 1, 2003, 7:55 am
Original Poster

It seems like all the seats were basically the same. The bulkhead didn't offer any more room and the leg rest on that seat when extended protuded into the galley aisle. I know because I bumped into it when returning from the lav.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 4:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Merci beaucoup!

I too enjoyed this post about an airline I am not familiar with..

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Jun 1, 2003, 10:54 pm

In regards to your comment about KQ in Y, I have friends who flew London to Nairobi and they said it was terrible.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Thanks. Thinking of KQ JNB-NBO. Will use KL miles to upgrade.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 9:58 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
Thanks. Thinking of KQ JNB-NBO. Will use KL miles to upgrade.</font>
KQ flies a 767 on certain days of the week from JNB - NBO. Makes a huge difference as you get the lie flat seats.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 1:34 pm

A friend from Kenya told me that Kenya Airways Y is terrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.