Wiki Posts
Search

BA JFK-LHR First Class BA 114

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

BA JFK-LHR First Class BA 114

Arrival at JFK
I arrived at JFK after a previous flight from LAX on AA ( see previous report). Arrival was at terminal 9. I then took a terminal bus to terminal 7. The bus was right outside the terminal, and it took a short 15 minutes to get from one terminal to another. The bus dropped us off at the arrivals sidewalk at terminal 7. I then got off the bus, headed upstairs to BA check in counter. BA and UA share terminal 7. There is a separate check in for BA first class. If any other FT have been in this terminal one of the nicest features is that after check in ALL BA first class passengers have a separate security check in!! It took less than 3 minutes to walk through the security. What a pleasure.
On this particular June 27, 2003, all flights from JFK to LHR were delayed because of incoming aircraft delays. I was on the later 10 PM flight by was very lucky and got on the earlier 8:30 PM flight which actually was to leave at 9:30PM.

The BA first lounge
I arrived at the BA lounge where many passengers were already enjoying their pre flight dinner. The menu for the pre flight dinner was very sparse. I decided to get a Caesar Salad with Turkey and a diet coke. Excellent food. Then the concierge set me up for an internet connection using my own laptop. Their are NO internet terminals set up in the BA lounge. So if you are interested in internet access please bring your own laptop. The people at BA are very friendly and helpful in the lounge. The lounge was extremely busy this Friday night as there were 4 flights to LHR that night.

Boarding
Boarding was extremely orderly with first and business class boarding first. I was one of the first people to board. As we boarded, we passed through the business class section where people were already getting ready for bed in the club class sleeper seats. I headed to seat 3K and immediately was given pajamas, am amenity kit, and a bowl of peanuts with a diet coke was presented to me withing 5 minutes. I changed into my pajamas before take off, but I planned to enjoy the meal and entertainment service before going to sleep. The first class section was full with all 14 people. Take off was very quick after the doors closed. Flying time was a short 5 hours and 55 minutes.

MENU

First Courses
Scallop and spinach ravioli with creamy seafood sauce.
Goat cheese and pine ny torte
Wild Mushroom Soup
Mixed seasonal Salad served with balsamic olive oil, extra virgin olive oil or Parmesan cheese and black pepper dressing
Selection of WARM BREADS

Main Courses
Lamb shank, Olive oil mash and roast root vegetables
Grilled turbot fennel confit and chive butter sauce with wild rice
Lemon and herb chicken Caesar salad
Freshly cooked pasta with your choice of tomato olive ragout or creamy mushroom sauce served with freshly grated Grana Padano cheese

Always-Available
The great all-day English Breakfast
A prime beef hamburger with your choice of garnish
Continental Breakfast featuring pastries, yoghurt, cereals and fresh fruit
Sausages, grainy mustard mash and caramelised onion gravy
Hot bacon roll

Cheese, Dessert and Fruit
Stilton, unpasteurised Boerenkaas and Crottin Jeune Goat cheese
Vanilla panna cotta with mixed berries
Selection of fresh fruit

Beverages

Champagne
KRUG

White Wines
Mersault 2000 Chartron et Trebuchet
Domane Wachau riesling Smaragd Terrasen, 2001
Edna White Chardonnay 2000

Red Wines
Chateau desmirail 1996 Grand cru Margaux
Cuvaison Carneos Pinot Noir 2000
Buehler Napa valley Zinfindel 1998

I had the ravioli which ws terrific. The goat cheese torte was OK but the turbot was only OK. The entertainment selection was excellent, but to be honest, the flight was too short as right after dinner the entire cabin went to sleep including myself and after about 3 hours landing commenced. Almost all of us in the cabin had the continental breakfast. The flight was wonderful. We landed on time at LHR. Next report LHR-NRT. Until then....
Old Jul 12, 2003, 7:07 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Thanks for this trip report. I really enjoyed it!
Old Jul 12, 2003, 7:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RTW4:
The BA first lounge
I arrived at the BA lounge where many passengers were already enjoying their pre flight dinner. The menu for the pre flight dinner was very sparse. I decided to get a Caesar Salad with Turkey and a diet coke. Excellent food. Then the concierge set me up for an internet connection using my own laptop. Their are NO internet terminals set up in the BA lounge. So if you are interested in internet access please bring your own laptop. The people at BA are very friendly and helpful in the lounge. The lounge was extremely busy this Friday night as there were 4 flights to LHR that night.
</font>
Is this the same BA first class lounge on the upper level to the left of the regular lounge? I was in it two weeks ago before a Cathay Pacific flight to HKG and didn't notice any food other then sandwiches/snacks.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 7:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RTW4:
Their are NO internet terminals set up in the BA lounge.</font>
If you are writing of the First Lounge (not Concorde Room), there are two desktop computers set up with an internet connection in the back of the room in the 'nook' near the floor to ceiling windows on the left. That is, unless they have removed them since the end of May.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 9:01 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Beautifully done...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Nice trip report. I am of the opinion that eastbound transatlantic flights from IAD, JFK, EWR, PHL and BOS always feel too short if you're in F!
Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:48 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Buster CT1K:
Nice trip report. I am of the opinion that eastbound transatlantic flights from IAD, JFK, EWR, PHL and BOS always feel too short if you're in F!</font>
But not that short enough to fly in Y.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 2:15 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Hi RTW,

Thanks. Enjoyed reading it. One small ? though - why was it necessary to pass thru biz while boarding to get to F?

I guess BA boards thru a different door then (for example) the door AA uses on 777? (i.e. on AA 777 you would turn left upon entering to get to F). Biz and Y turn right.

Enjoy youir trip.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 8:25 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Their are NO internet terminals set up in the BA lounge. So if you are interested in internet access please bring your own laptop.</font>
Absolutely false! There are over 10 PCs in the business center area, all with internet access, at JFK. I suppose some F passengers aren't qualified to use a public PC and should use their own notebook with concierge assistance. BA has provided ample internet access with their lounge remodeling at JFK and deserves recognition for the splendid job that they have done!!!!
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
test
Old Jul 14, 2003, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The JFK/LHR route is usually operated by the 747-400.First Class in the nose section known as A zone.
Boarding is normally through door 2 left, First Class passengers turn left and walk through B zone which has 18 Club World seats.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 4:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
Originally posted by RTW4:
Their are NO internet terminals set up in the BA lounge. So if you are interested in internet access please bring your own laptop.</font>
Absolutely false! There are over 10 PCs in the business center area, all with internet access, at JFK. I suppose some F passengers aren't qualified to use a public PC and should use their own notebook with concierge assistance. BA has provided ample internet access with their lounge remodeling at JFK and deserves recognition for the splendid job that they have done!!!!
The 10 terminals you refer to are in the business class lounge not the first/concorde room.

Rich
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Flying time was a short 5 hours and 55 minutes.</font>
What a shame! If onlt BA would bring back the Brittanias so there'd be time to enjoy a proper service and sleep.

Thanks for the report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.