Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South African C class - JNB to GRU

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2003, 12:28 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
South African C class - JNB to GRU

(in installments)

I arrived from SIN on SQ at 0605. Deplaned at approx 0620 after quite a long taxi and headed for the international transfer area. I had a little trouble getting to the transfer area without going through immigration, the attendant receiving the pax from my flight had a hard time comprehending that I was only in transit. I finally showed him my ticket and he understood, sending me on the opposite direction and down a flight of stairs.

Once at the transfer desk, for a moment I thought I would have to spend the night in JNB. For some strange reason, the two ladies at the SA desk didnt have an updated list of all the flights of the day. For 10 minutes, they argued that SA does not fly to GRU on Fridays.... and I continued to tell me that LH had confirmed this to me, and that SQ had even checked my bags all the way through. Finally, after I asked them (three times) to call some supervisor or call LH, a third agent came to the desk and confirmed the existence of this flight. My boarding pass was issued, and I was sent on my way.

From the transfer desk, you must head through security and then go one flight up, to the departures area. I was surprised to see all the duty free and other shops open, after all, it was before 0700. I walked over to the bookstore, bought the latest edition of John Platter's book of South African Wines, and decided to get a little something for my cellar.

After picking up three bottles of red (Pinotage, Merlot and Pinot Noir), I headed for the BaoBab Lounge. This Business Class lounge is located one floor down from the concourse area, next to the BA lounge. There is also a KLM lounge on this level.

The lounge is medium sized, with various workstation desks for laptops and also some desktops with free internet service. There is a full bar with snacks, and some food on offering. I also spotted a showers section.

Old Jul 4, 2003, 11:31 am

Programs: DL PM
I'm looking forward to hearing more since we head to SA on SAA in C class next month. Hopefully you have some positive things to say re: the service, etc?
Old Jul 7, 2003, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The stay at the lounge was uneventful, and I departed a little early to stroll around the duty free shop areas. A general boarding announcement was made at 0935 and I headed for the departure gate (no. 1). The boarding procedure was a little chaotic, with everybody just pushing to get on the plane.

I had expected an A340, as was noted on the LH ticket and on the timbales I had consulted. However, upon boarding it was evident that this bird was no Toulouse built crate… instead, it was a vintage piece from Seattle, a 747 SP. I guess SA shares the honor with Aerolineas Argentinas of still flying these things… I can only think of a handful of airlines that still have them in operation, among them Pakistani International, Iran Air and Air India perhaps…?

FAs were cheerful but not very attentive/helpful. No coats hanged, etc. Welcome drinks came around late (OJ, Champagne and water). Flight time was estimated at 10 hours and 35 minutes. After take off, drinks and nuts were served. To drink, I selected a Simonsig Pinotage, 2000 vintage (acceptable).

The Menu was printed in English, Spanish and Portuguese.

Appetiser

A trio of Game Pate, Smoked Springbock and Peppered Ostrich, accompanied by a fresh watercress dressing.

Main Course

Grilled Fillet of Beef served with a shiitake mushroom sauce, chateau potatoes and pearled vegetables.

(or)

Pan-Fried Breast of Free-Range Chicken, filled with a wild mushroom and basil pesto and presented with mixed wild rice, turned carrots, a bundle of marrow and roasted tomato sauce.

(or)

Roasted Vegetable Casserole set on a bed of risoni pasta and rounded off with portabella mushrooms and parmesan cheese.

I selected the Beef, which was barely edible. It was also cold… and despite the fancy menu description, showed little attention to detail (sloppy presentation). I was about to comment something to the purser but instead chose to have the cheese and dessert.

Cheese & Dessert

Marbled Chocolate Cake, garnished with fresh fruit and whipped cream.

Cheese selection; featuring an assortment of South African cheeses and a variety of crackers.

Coffe & Tea, presented with chocolate pralines.

The dessert and cheese was just as unimpressive as the main course. Service continued to be luke warm. At least the crackers were good and I wasn’t really that hungry.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

The seats on the 747SP were a real nightmare. The recline was almost as bad as those domestic 757’s that we all suffer on US domestic segments, and the IFE was just as vintage as the airplane itself. I had real trouble getting to sleep, and for a moment even considered moving back to coach to see if I could get an aisle of seats to myself (but the load was very high in coach, so I discarded that idea).

I would have wanted to give details of the wine list, but I seem to have misplaced the wine menu somewhere.

To sum things up, I was very disappointed by the overall service and amenities offered. The small amenity kit was also standard.. and quite chepo looking. Even United’s amenity kit it far better. I guess to really judge the premium cabin service on SA one would have to fly one of the premium routes on the newer aircraft, perhaps JNB to LHR or similar. I guess when this route gets upgraded to 340-500 the service and amenities will also improve. Until then, I will try to avoid SA on long hauls with these older crates.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:50 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaucho100K:
... I guess to really judge the premium cabin service on SA one would have to fly one of the premium routes on the newer aircraft...</font>
I recently flew mxp-jnb in C on SAA. The plane used was an ex BD A340. The cabin interior etc. was therefore very nice. IFE was bad because they only had 3 or 4 movies. Food was sub-sub-standard (lamb with polenta was the entrée). Many airlines have better food on their short and medium haul routes

I expected more because:

1.) Food in South-Africa is usually quite good
2.) This was one of SAA's newer planes
3.) MXP-JNB is a two-class service and C therefore THE premium product.

Maybe it has something to do with competition (or the lack thereof), but me will never be seen on a SAA plane again (if not totally unavoidable)...

[This message has been edited by garfield5 (edited 07-08-2003).]
Old Jul 8, 2003, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I've done the JNB-GRU run a couple of times (and the other way too), and will go out of my way to avoid SAA, in either C or F. I will actually take BA or VS to LHR, and then connect onwards LHR-GRU, even if it takes an additional 20 hours to get there. On the plus side, think of the miles!

I agree about the SAA food being below sub-standard, which is a shame, since food in SA can be excellent (and cheap).
Old Jul 8, 2003, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Great point about the food in SA. Perhaps the difference with F on a 3 class of service is a noticable one?

I was most surprised by the lax service... I really expected more. Lets see how my GRU-JNB leg turns out, I hope to do that sometime in September.

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 07-08-2003).]
Old Jul 8, 2003, 8:20 am

That's really a shame. I was always under the impression that South African Airways was one of the best in the world.

But I'd probably fly them just to go on the SP.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 6:04 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mats:
But I'd probably fly them just to go on the SP.</font>
It interesting to fly on one of those old planes again... I just wish the recline in business could be more reasonable. I didnt get to check out the second floor (F) seats, perhaps they are better. JNB-GRU was sold as a two class flight so nobody was allowed to use the above seats.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mats:
That's really a shame. I was always under the impression that South African Airways was one of the best in the world.

But I'd probably fly them just to go on the SP.
</font>
They won't have the 747SP much longer (less than a year to go). SAA was very good until a couple of things happened: the change of government after the end of apartheid, and bringing in a hot-shot American CEO who lost them over USD 1 billion with insane deals in the late 90s and drove them to the edge of insolvency. Since then there have been a lot of cutbacks but they have turned the corner and will thrive in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.