Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

JFK-CDG-JFK AA J Class: First Detailed Look At AA's New 767-300ER J Class Product

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-CDG-JFK AA J Class: First Detailed Look At AA's New 767-300ER J Class Product

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2003, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

Thursday, June 19, 2003
American Airlines flight AA 120
Departs: New York (JFK) @ 9:55 PM
Arrives: Paris (CDG) @ 11:10 AM
Boeing 767-300ER
Business Class Seat 2J

One never knows how long it will take to get from the West Side of Manhattan to JFK. First, you must get across town and into the Midtown Tunnel. Then, you have to navigate the always congested Long Island Expressway. Finally, you must deal with the crap shoot that is the Van Wyck Expressway. I’ve made the trip from anywhere between 45 minutes to 2.5 hours. You really never know.

As such, I left the building in which I work at 6:30 PM for a 9:55 PM flight. I used Carmel Car Service, which recently has blanketed New York with advertisements. They did a fine job and did not charge much more than a taxi would have cost. We made it out of Manhattan without much delay, but got caught in traffic on the LIE and the Van Wyck. Nevertheless, we got to JFK in an hour.

At JFK, one American Airlines international flight departs from Terminal 9, the domestic terminal, every night. It usually is either the late night Paris flight or the Buenos Aires flight, as they are operated by 767s and the 777s are never parked at Terminal 9. I knew that tonight my flight was the Terminal 9 departure and, since I did not have bags to check, I got dropped off at Terminal 9 with the belief that I would check-in at the Terminal 9 Admirals Club, which is located outside security.

Unfortunately, this did not work-out as this club now closes at 7:30 PM, requiring me to lug my roll-a-board back to Terminal 8, to check-in at its Admirals Club. After spending some time in the club, I had to travel back to Terminal 9 for my flight. I really do not understand why AA cannot keep all the international flights in one terminal as there are some domestic flights that leave from Terminal 8.

We boarded on time and, thankfully, there was no gate screening going-on (some flights still get this treatment at Terminal 9). As you probably know, AA recently removed first class from its 767-300ER fleet. This was my first time experiencing the new configuration and I was impressed. There was definitely more room between the seats, even at the bulkhead row, where I prefer to sit. Usually, I have no problem reaching the bulkhead with my feet. This time, I really had to stretch to reach it.

Usual pre-departure beverages were served and menus were distributed. Here is a transcript:

LATE NIGHT SUPPER

In order to allow you as much time as possible to rest, we shall be serving you Supper very shortly after takeoff. We wish you a pleasant flight.

TO START

To accompany your preferred Cocktail or Beverage:

Warm roasted Nuts and fresh Vegetables in a Pesto Ranch Dressing

SEAFOOD APPETIZER
Smoked Salmon, Maine Lobster and Herb-marinated Shrimp

SOUP: CARROT CILANTRO
A creamy Carrot and Cilantro Soup garnished with chopped Cilantro, Red Onions, spicy Jalapeno Chiles and Lime Juice

MAIN COURSE

ROASTED RACK OF LAMB
Hoisin-marinated Rack of Lamb served with your choice of

MIXED GREENS
Fresh seasonal Greens with Roma Tomatoes, English Cucumbers, Kalmata Olives and Shaved Carrots, with Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar
-or-
VEGETABLES
Grilled Zucchini, grilled Tomato and Grilled Bell Peppers offered with Herb Rice

BLACKENED SHRIMP
Seasoned Shrimp sautéed in a hot cast-iron skillet served with your choice of

MIXED GREENS
Fresh seasonal Greens with Roma Tomatoes, English Cucumbers, Kalmata Olives and Shaved Carrots, with Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar
-or-
VEGETABLES
Grilled Zucchini, grilled Tomato and Grilled Bell Peppers offered with Herb Rice

GRILLED CHICKEN
Rosemary-marinated Breast of Chicken served with your choice of

MIXED GREENS
Fresh seasonal Greens with Roma Tomatoes, English Cucumbers, Kalmata Olives and Shaved Carro

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.