Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Pleasant Day With Alaska Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2003, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
A Pleasant Day With Alaska Airlines

Normally, I wouldn’t consider two flights between Denver to Fairbanks worthy of a Trip Report, especially after the slightly longer than normal report I just published covering my recent spring travels. That report has plenty of references to Alaska’s inflight services, so why write more? Oh, I don't know... Sumthin to do, I reckon. Truth be known, Alaska's people and service today were an unexpected pleasure. Never one to take such things for granted, I thought I'd pass on an accounting.

I’ve been down in Colorado for the past three days on a combination of business and pleasure. Although the weather could have been nicer, I got a heap of chores accomplished around Denver and the Front Range and also managed a visit to my sister’s place up in Greeley. It’s been awhile since I’ve been down in Colorado during June and I was impressed with how fresh and green everything was. Tomorrow, I’m booked to drive forty of our nation’s finest on a eleven hour trip out to Wonder Lake and back. While I look forward to returning to Alaska and my work in Denali, I’ve had a most enjoyable and productive visit down in Colorado and could easily stay another couple of days.

After dropping my rental car off at the huge National/Alamo lot, I was whisked off to the Elrey B. Jeppesen Terminal Building in my own private bus. It was not a very busy day at the National lot – at least, not when I checked in. By contrast, the scene at the Alaska/Horizon counter was quite the opposite with a long line of E-Ticket holders extending past the nearby Delta counters. Even the First Class/MVP line had about five people in it.

I was traveling on a 20000 mile saver award ticket and at the time I’d made this reservation, the only available space back to Fairbanks was via connections in Portland and Seattle. With no mileage to be accrued and all seats in Coach Class, I’d just as soon take the most direct routing possible back to Alaska. On a positive note however, the flight between Portland and Seattle was to be operated with a DHC-8-400, the stretch version upon which I’d not yet flown.

Upon reaching the counter, I was informed that the Portland flight was running about an hour and a half late and that I’d be rebooked on the nonstop to Seattle. No problem there, especially as the six hour layover in Seattle would allow me a chance to head into town. New boarding passes were spit out and I noticed my seat between Denver and Seattle was 23B. Eegaads! Any chance of an exit row seat, I asked? The agent typed in a bit of info, then noted that I was an MVP Gold. That’s right, I replied. She typed in a bit more info, paused, then added the finishing touches and voila! I was presented with a reclining exit row window up to Seattle and a First Class seat on to Fairbanks! I know I probably shouldn’t have said anything but I’d hate to see her get into any trouble so I said “You know I’m traveling on an award ticket, right?” No problem, she replied. There was plenty of space on the Fairbanks flight so have a good time. Indeed I will!

This is twice in two weeks that my coach award seat up to Alaska has been upgraded to First Class. I must be living right. And/or Alaska certainly treats its MVP Golds nicely! With a renewed spring in my step, I headed off to the security checkpoint. The lines were pretty long but unlike in Las Vegas two weeks ago, DIA offered an express line for First Class and elite passengers. Soon, I was enjoying coffee and a bagel in Continental’s Presidents Club, conveniently located on the fourth floor of DIA’s A Concourse. Alaska’s flights depart from Gate A39, just two floors down.

20 June, 2003
DEN-SEA Alaska 592 Coach Class
737-490 N703AS Seat 14A
1130a-115p Flight time: 2:22

Despite a full flight, boarding was accomplished fairly quickly and we were poised at the head of Runway 35R just a few minutes later. Climbing out of DIA, passengers on the left side of the aircraft were subjected to stunning views of Aurora, Commerce City and Brighton before clouds mercifully blocked out further viewing. Cruising altitude was 31000 feet with a projected flight time of 2 hours 23 minutes.

My seatmate was an interesting fellow who worked for the US Customs Department. He worked a seven state area, most of which was in Alaska/Horizon territory. Even so, he still hadn’t flown enough to qualify as an MVP. I’ve always thought that in the unlikely event I’d ever pursued a career in law enforcement, customs is where I’d want to work. It’s the one place where the crime – smuggling – takes place right in front of you if you don’t catch it first. There are also some interesting psychological aspects to the job ranging from judging appearances and behavior to how you go about asking questions. Although seatmate was employed in the administrative side of the service, we had a good time chatting about everything from US Customs to South Pacific travels to the current woes of almost every professional sports franchise in Illinois (his original home) except the Cubs of late. Yes, they’re in First place but Dusty Baker notwithstanding, our consensus was that an Autumn swoon is inevitable. Let’s hope not. Go Cubbies!

Lunch was a decently sized turkey and cheese sandwich served on a tasty wheat roll and accompanied by a pair of apricot shortbread cookies. I washed this all down with a tfung spritzer (a Ginger Ale) and watched with interest as we passed by the top of Mt. Rainier before dropping into the clouds on our descent into SeaTac. Landing was to the south on 16L and as we turned and headed back towards the D Concourse, I saw Aeroflot’s oddly colored 777-200 parked at the South Concourse. Rumor has it that a bright new livery is in the works for Russia’s national carrier. I should hope so. They’re long overdue!

Since it’s no longer possible to leave baggage in the Boardroom, I checked my carry-on at Ken’s Baggage Service and headed into town on the 194 express bus. An hour later, I was perusing used CDs in Seattle’s colorful University District, followed by a visit to Twice Told Tales – a nice little used book store complete with the requisite cats roaming the aisles or sitting in the window. I arrived back at SeaTac with an hour to spare and, discovering that my flight was delayed by ten minutes, repaired to the Boardroom for a frosty Heineken.

20 June, 2003
SEA-FAI Alaska 103 First Class
737-490 N793AS Seat 1A
709p-951p Flight time: 3:22

Despite not getting airborne until 7:45pm, our Captain informed us that the headwinds weren’t too bad tonight and so we’d only be about fifteen minutes late arriving into Fairbanks. Cruising altitude was set for 31000 feet and as we climbed out of Seattle past some impressive cumulo nimbus clouds, I reclined my seat and caught a little shut eye before dinner. Upon arrival in Fairbanks later this evening, I had to then drive 120 miles down to Denali. I needed all the rest I could get.

Our Flight Attendant in the forward cabin this evening was Kim. She was friendly, upbeat and beautiful. Although I slept through the cocktail hour, I awoke in time for Kim’s rather unique menu presentation. Rather than just read off the selections, she’d taken the time to create her own handwritten menu, which she presented to us row by row. The entrée selections were as follows:

Seattle to Fairbanks

DINNER

To Begin

A packet of honey roasted almonds to accompany the beverage of your choice

Salad
Spinach, tomatoes, jicama and radishes
Offered with Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing

Entrees

Sun Dried Tomato Crusted Halibut

Presented with fresh buttered asparagus and yams Lyonnaise

Chili Beef with Mixed Bell Peppers
Served with vegetable rice pilaf

Dessert
Key Lime Pie

I’ve had the halibut entrée before and found it quite nice. I was tempted to try out the Chili Beef but it just didn’t sound all that appealing. I was hoping that my seatmate might order it but he also selected the halibut. So did everyone else in row one and I suspect seats 2D-F and all of row three had to settle for the Chili Beef.

Of course, the halibut was delicious! Indeed, it is also one of the more attractively plated entrees amongst Alaska’s First Class fare. By contrast, the dessert of Key Lime pie, while reasonably tasty, scored poorly in the presentation department. The crust was obviously one of those prefab affairs and the pale green filling looked drab and unappealing. I would have added some whipped cream with a slice or two of kiwi fruit and called it a Kiwi Lime Tart. Perhaps it’s just as well I don’t work in a kitchen, eh?

The remainder of this flight was smooth and for me quite productive as I typed out this mini-report. While this day started out in a crowded airport with a delayed flight, it segued quite gracefully into a pleasant afternoon in Seattle followed by a smooth and comfortable First Class flight with an agreeable dinner, a nice view and an almost on time arrival in Fairbanks. Thanks, Alaska Air! You made my day.

[This message has been edited by Seat 2A (edited 06-24-2003).]
Old Jun 21, 2003, 9:00 am

As someone who loves menu descriptions on FT, THANKS a lot for all of these great "blow by blow' menu items! AS has a great meal service as I have experienced as well.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Way too short

Thanks very much for the report. I love Alaska Airlines
Old Jun 21, 2003, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:
Way too short </font>
Exactly what I was thinking. I was expecting a super duper loooooong trip report. When I got to the end, I thought, "is that it?" LOL

Thanks for the trip report.

Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:10 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Thanks Seat 2A, they're my airline of choice along with AA.

Have to agree with you on the beautiful young flight attendants. I still remember the blonde bombshell that worked the GEG/SEA sector I flew last time I was in the States - this was my face when I got on and saw her (in fact, my tongue was on the floor). I was almost going to change my flights to match hers .

Pity I had a monster trip in front of me...but thinking about her helped to pass the time on the following SEA/SJC/LAX/AKL/BNE flights...

(Edited to correct sector info)

[This message has been edited by QF WP (edited 06-24-2003).]
Old Jun 23, 2003, 8:51 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Seat 2A:
Normally, I wouldn’t consider two flights between Denver to Fairbanks worthy of a Trip Report, especially after the slightly longer than normal report I just published covering my recent spring travels. That report has plenty of references to Alaska’s inflight services, so why write more?</font>

Uhhhh... 'cause you know we're all suckers for your trip reports no matter what the destination??? PLEASE keep 'em coming!!!! Thank you!
Old Jun 24, 2003, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by onedog:
Exactly what I was thinking. I was expecting a super duper loooooong trip report. When I got to the end, I thought, "is that it?" LOL </font>
That 107 page spring trip report would be a hard standard to consistently match! However, I will be attempting the Alaska/Horizon 12 segment/40000 mile challenge along with a couple of mileage runs in September. Hopefully something truly enticing will come up out of SEA between now and then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.