Don't Cry For Me, I Went to Argentina -- First Class on AA and Lan Chile

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2003, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Don't Cry For Me, I Went to Argentina -- First Class on AA and Lan Chile

Part I – Prologue

This trip was done on an American Airlines Advantage Lan Chile First Class Award for 125,000 miles. Originally, I was going to just fly on American routing LGA-MIA-EZE-MIA-LGA, thinking it would be too difficult to obtain Lan Chile F seats using miles (I had trouble getting A class seats on Lan when traveling on a Oneworld Explorer RTW). However, on a whim, I decided to see if I could do it on Lan Chile. A few minutes later, I had a JFK-SCL-EZE-SCL-JFK award ticket on Lan Chile. A few weeks later, I decided that I would rather fly out of LAX as the flight leaves in the early afternoon and offers what seems to be better service. Plus, I could get an AA premium transcon flight out of it, which is something I like to do on AA. A quick call to the Executive Platinum desk and $100 later, I now had a JFK-LAX-SCL-EZE-SCL-JFK routing, which would include my final flight in F on an AA 767-300 (for those who don’t know, AA has removed F from these planes and now operate them in a two-class arrangement).

Part II – JFK-LAX, PresRDC Bids Farewell to the 767-300ER F Coffin Seats

February 13, 2003
American Airlines flight AA 19
Departs New York (JFK) @ 10:30 AM
Arrives Los Angeles (LAX) @ 1:29 PM
Boeing 767-300ER
First Class Seat 2J

As usual, I arrived at the airport too early. I am not very good at estimating how long it will take me to get to the airport, but thankfully I err on the side of caution and often find myself with room to spare. As I had no luggage to check and JFK’s Admirals Clubs are outside security, I just check-in there. Unlike most of AA domestic flights which leave from Terminal 9, my flight today left from Terminal 8, which is mostly used for international flights. There is a priority lane at Terminal 8 and I had no problem quickly clearing security.

Boarding began exactly at 10:00 AM and, as TSA is no longer doing secondary gate screening in Terminal 8 (they do in Terminal 9, however), I just went ahead on boarded. We were full in F and J and I assume full in Y, but I don’t know for sure. Despite it being a domestic flight, we were only offered sparkling wine, OJ or water as a pre-flight drink.

The purser passed-out the menu prior to push-back, here is a transcript:

WINE LIST

SPARKLING WINE

Domaine Chandon Napa Valley Brut

WHITE WINES

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Chardonnay

Santa Rita Valle de Lontue Sauvingnon Blanc

RED WINES

Chateau Los Boldos Requinoa Cabernet Sauvignon

Rosemount Diamond Estate Bottled Shiraz

DESSERT WINE

Graham’s Six Grapes Port NV

LUNCH

APPETIZERS

TO START

Warm mixed Nuts or fresh Vegetables and Dip to accompany your preferred Cocktail or Beverage

THE SALAD CART

Seasonal mixed Greens with roasted Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette or creamy Basil Dressing

Lobster Tail and Claw with Lemon wedges

Mediterranean Chicken

Fresh Mozzarella Cheese Salad

BREAD BASKET

Assorted warm Breads

ENTREES

Caribbean-Crusted Filet of Beef

Herb-Poached Salmon

Wild Mushroom Tortelloni (served with roasted chicken on request)

Breaded Chicken Salad

THE DESSERT CART

Tiramisu

Or

Blue Bell Homemade Ice Cream with a choice of Hot Fudge, Butterscotch or seasonal Fruit Topping and fresh Whipped Cream

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Freshly Baked on board, OtisSpunkmeyer Cookies

We pushed at exactly 10:30 AM and were airborne from Runway 31L at 10:44 AM. Flight time was announced at 5 hours and 28 minutes. The pursuer took drink orders and meal orders. He followed FEBO (AA’s order for taking meal choices) and took orders from all the seats in the back row (3) and then the first row going left to right. As such, I got the last choice. While I was fully aware of FEBO, on my last 767 flight in F, 2 H and J got to choose after 3 H, J and D. As such, my preference of the tortelloni with chicken was not available. I choose the filet mignon instead and ordered a Diet Coke with lime, my standard airborne beverage.

We got the nuts and the vegetables. The salad course is served from the trolley. On dinner flights on AA premium transcons, you get a separate salmon course before the salad. As this is lunch flight, you don’t get the salmon. Knowing this, I still chose this flight as I really wanted to be on a 767-300ER. The filet was okay, but too well done for me. The dessert cart followed and I had a sundae with hot fudge, whipped cream and nuts. Of course, the ice cream is no longer a super premium brand, but a sundae is a sundae, so no complaints.

We got the DVD players that are given to F and J passengers on 767 international flights (business class passengers on domestic flights don’t get these). I watched K-19, which was okay and a Globe Trekker special on Rio de Janeiro. I think Rio will my next South American destination.

The pre-arrival cookie service has sadly gone the way of caviar, Platinum Service Centers and the DFW and MIA Flagship Lounges, meaning it’s no longer offered. AA should at least take it off the menu if they aren’t going to offer it anymore!

We landed at LAX on time. I will miss the 767-300ER first class seats. This flight was average in everyway, including the cabin crew. They did a fine job, but didn’t go out of the way to provide extra service. This is in sharp contrast to the crew I had on a JFK-SFO flight last August.

I headed to the Westin LAX for the night. If you are into plane spotting, this hotel offers a good view of the southern runways. This hotel has an executive lounge, but offers no food or beverages in the evening. They recommend you call room service and they’ll expedite your order. Thanks. 

Part III – LAX-LIM-SCL

February 14, 2003
Lan Chile flight LA 601
Departs Los Angeles (LAX) @ 2:10 PM
Arrives Santiago (SCL) @ 6:05 AM
Stops in Lima, Peru for approximately 1 hour
Airbus A340-300
First Class, Seat 1A

I took the hotel shuttle at noon and arrived at the Tom Bradley International Terminal 10 minutes later. The Lan Chile counters were not overly crowded and the first class line was empty. However, all passengers had to go through a common document check before the lines split according to class. This could have led to a substantial delay if there was a line. Check-in was quick and I got my boarding passes for both this flight and my connection to EZE. Although the SCL-EZE flight will be operated by the same aircraft as the LAX-SCL flight (same flight number too), there is only a 2 class service. However, the agent could not get me one of the F seats on the SCL-EZE flights.

There is a priority security lane in the Tom Bradley terminal, which requires you to get an invitation from your airline. With this, security took less than five minutes. Those on the coach line had a much longer wait.

Lan Chile uses the joint BA/Qantas Lounge at LAX. Air Tahiti Nui also uses this lounge and, as there flight was leaving at about the same time as ours, the lounge was crowded. There was not much in the way of food, just some turkey croissants, but the lounge did offer a nice view of the tarmac. I left the lounge early and strolled the terminal for a while.

Our flight was leaving from the remote gates at the west end of the airport. First and Business Class passengers were transferred to the gate on a van as opposed to the bus that the coach people had to take. I actually enjoyed the ride as it offered a great view of the airport. Once we got to the gate, we walked-up a long ramp and down the jetway.

Lan Chile has one row of F with a 2-1-2 arrangement. The seats recline fully flat and are almost identical to American’s F seats on the Pacific-configured 777s and those formerly on the 767-300ERs. I like the center seat for sleeping as you’re on your own, but I prefer a window, so I requested that seat. There were 2 of us in F today. I was in 1A and the other guy was in 1L. Needless to say, we had plenty of room to store our bags! You could choose whatever you want to drink and I had a Diet Coke as a pre-departure drink. It was served with a small dish of nuts. Amenity kits were distributed on the ground.

We left the gate on time, but had a long taxi to the other end of the airport for takeoff. We took off to the west and had a great view of the ocean and coast line as we climbed. Once airborne, menus were distributed. Here is a transcript:

WINE LIST (common to both LAX-SCL and SCL-JFK)

CHAMPAGNE

Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs, 1995
Tattinger
Reims, France

RED WINES

Don Maximiano Founder’s Reserve 1999

Santa Carolina VSC 1999

1865 Cabernet Sauvignon 1997

William Cole Cabernet Sauvignon 2001

Valdivieso Premium Merlot 2000

Casablanca Reserva Carmenere 2001

WHITE WINES

Santa Ema Reserva Chardonnay 2001

Anakena Reservado Viognier 2002

LUNCH/DINNER

APPETIZER CART
*enjoy our variety of appetizers together with your choice of Champagne or Vodka

CAVIAR SERVICE
Ossetra Malossol Caviar, from the Caspian Sea served with toast points, blinis and sour cream

HORS D’OEUVRES
Variety of Sushi
Pork Satay served with a Riata sauce

CHAMPAGNE AND WINE
Champagne Tattinger, Comtes de Champagne
Vodka Absolut

OUR SALAD CART

Mix your own salad from our selection of seasonal vegetables.
Choose your favorite toppings to go with it.

A LA CARTE SERVICE
*The service that allows you to eat what you want from the following selection:

COLD DISHES

FROM THE SEA
Snow Crab timbal, served with a Gazpacho sauce and a Parmesan tuille
Our Master Sommelier suggests Anakena Reservado Viognier 2002 Vina Anakena

COLD CUTS
Herbed roast beef, served with a mesclun mix
Our Master Sommelier suggests William Cole Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 Vina William Cole

COMFORTING SOUP

SIMPLY DELICIOUS
Creamy leek soup served with cream fraiche, chives and croutons

FROM THE BAKERY

BREAD BASKET
Choose your own selection from our variety of warm breads and crackers

MAIN ENTREES

FILET OF BEEF WITH RED WINE SAUCE
Grilled beef medallion served with a red wine sauce, accompanied by caramelized pearl onion, mushrooms and sautéed potatoes
Our Master Sommelier suggests Don Maximiano Founder’s Reserve 1999 Vina Errazuriz
You can replace the red wine sauce by a meat juice

CHICKEN SUPREME
Chicken breast served with a tomato pesto sauce and accompanied by sautéed spinach
Our Master Sommelier suggests Santa Carolina VSC 1999 Vina Santa Carolina

SALMON FILET WITH LOBSTER SAUCE
Salmon filet served with a lobster sauce, and accompanied by green asparagus spears
Our Master Sommelier suggests Santa Ema Reserva Chardonnay 2001 Vina Sta Ema
You can replace the lobster sauce with an herbed butter

GORGONZOLA RAVIOLI
Ravioli filled with Gorgonzola cheese, served with a creamy parsley sauce
Our Master Sommelier suggests Valdivieso Premium Merlot 2000 Vina Valdivieso

CHEESE AND FRUIT

THE CHEESES
A selection of cheese served with grapes or dried fruit, Pumpernickel bread and crackers

FRESH FRUIT
Assortment of fresh seasonal fruit

OUR DESSERT

CHOCOLATE CAKE
Delicious chocolate and chestnut cake served with a strawberry with Cream Anglaise

SOMETHING REFRESHING
Raspberry sorbet

OPEN BAR AND CHOCOLATES
Open throughout our flight

Ask for your favorite drink from our bar menu.

Chocolates

As you can tell, there was plenty of food! Lan Chile does not do a drinks service before starting the meal service, but rather offers champagne and vodka with the appetizer course. Although I usually do not drink when flying, I caved and had a glass of champagne. From the cart, I chose a little of the satay and some sushi as well as the caviar and all the fixings. The salad course is made to order from the trolley. This is different from when I took the SCL-LAX flight, where there was no salad course. While I do not remember exactly what was on the salad, the choice was quite impressive. I followed the salad with the soup, the crab timbal and the filet mignon. All were excellent. For dessert, I just had the sorbet as I was quite full from all the food.

The flight to LIM is a little under 7 hours. For the rest of the flight, I napped a bit and watched the on demand video. This system is very similar to Cathay Pacific’s Studio CX, although not quite at that level.

The snack was served about 90 minutes out of LIM. Here is the transcript:

HOT SNACK

TO BEGIN OUR SNACK

FOIE GRAS
Truffled Foie Gras from Perigord, served with Melba toast

CHAMPAGNE
Champagne Tattinger ‘Comtes de Champagne

AS A MAIN ENTRÉE, WE OFFER

FRESH GARDEN SALAD
A variety of salad greens with tomatoes, served with your choice of lemon or olive oil and balsamic vinegar

SPINACH LINGUINI
Spinach linguine served with seared scallops, and served with a Cajun sauce

PORK TENDERLOIN
Pork tenderloin served with a Maitre d’Hotel butter and accompanied by red mashed potatoes with goat cheese

FROM THE BAKERY

BREAD BASKET
Choose your own selection from our variety of warm breads and crackers

CHEESE AND FRUIT
A selection of cheeses served with grapes, rye bread and crackers

FRESH FRUIT

OUR DESSERT

NAPOLEON CAKE
Cream cake with its sauce

COFFEE AND TEA

Freshly brewed gourmet or instant coffee, decaffeinated coffee, tea or herbal teas

Liqueurs – Chocolates

Although I was still pretty full from dinner, I am not one to turn-down foie gras. I had the foie gras, the linguini and the napoleon. All were excellent.

Soon after the snack service finished, we began our descent into LIM. Both Lan Chile’s JFK and LAX flights stop in Lima for an hour. The stopover happens about 1:30 AM local time. While it is annoying, Lan Chile seems to pick-up several passengers both directions in LIM and, as there is no competition on these routes, I guess it makes sense.

As it turned out, First Class was full from LIM to SCL, which is about a 3 hour flight. The seats are close together and when both were reclined, I found myself too close to my seatmate for comfort. While there is a divider that comes-out of the wall behind the seats, it is not large enough to offer much in the way of privacy. In retrospect, I should have chosen the center seat as I could have sat in the window for the first leg and then had the center for the full segment.

We took off from LIM just as the 767 from SCL to JFK arrived. There were also two American 757s and two Continental 757s. Lima is quite the hopping place at 2:30 in the morning.

After takeoff, they offered a drink service, but almost everyone went directly to sleep. I slept the whole way, but awoke to have breakfast just before landing. Here is a transcript:

BREAKFAST

TO START

JUICES AND FRUIT
Fresh orange juice and a selection of fresh seasonal fruit, Yoghurt and Cereals

COFFEE AND TEA
Choose from our variety of coffee, decaffeinated coffee and tea

WARM ENTREES

EGG DISH
Fluffy Mushroom omelette served with grilled bacon and Lyonnaise potatoes

SWEET DISH
Crepes filled with sweet ricotta cheese, topped with pineapple compote

WARM BREAKFAST SANDWICH
Create your very own sandwich choosing from the following ingredients

BREAD ROLLS:
Corn Bread – Croissant – Oat Roll

DELICIOUS FILLINGS:
Kassler loin – Ham
Mozarella Cheese – Emmental Cheese

FROM THE BAKERY

BREAD BASKET
Choose your own selection from our variety of warm breads and toast served with butter and preserves

I still wasn’t very hungry, so I only had the fruit and the eggs. The portions were not large and the eggs were not cooked to order.

It was still dark when we land at approximately 5:45 AM. We departed through the L2 door, meaning that First Class was unable to get out before Business Class. Nevertheless, the process of getting through security and into the departures area for my connection took less than ten minutes and soon I was in Lan Chile’s Salon VIP.

Part IV – The Layover at SCL and the Continuation of Lan Chile 600 to Buenos Aries

February 15, 2003
Lan Chile 601
SCL-EZE
Departs Santiago (SCL) @ 7:45 AM
Arrives Buenos Aires (EZE) @ 10:40 AM
Airbus A340-300
Business Class Seat 1L

After getting to the Salon VIP, I took advantage of their shower facilities and freshened-up after the flight. Unfortunately, there was no hot water, which was a major bummer. The lounge agent apologized and was upset at me for not telling her earlier. Despite her anger, she was able to snag me seat 1L, which is one of the First Class seats, even though there was no First Class on this flight. I do not think it was my First Class ticket that allowed this as I overheard the agent say “Emeraldo” to the person she needed to clear it with. I think my Oneworld Emerald Status was the deciding factor.

We boarded a few minutes late and I settled into 1L. There was a young couple in 1 A and C, but the rest of the cabin was empty. We were offered preflight drinks (pre-poured) and were soon on our way to EZE, taking off just after the Lan Chile A340 from FRA and MAD landed.

The first 30 minutes of this flight were great as we flew over the Andes and U2 was playing on the on-demand audio. The view out of SCL is amazing and rivals the departures from Milan Malpensa and Zurich as the most stunning I’ve experienced. Soon, however, it had clouded over and we were being served breakfast. Here is a menu transcript. Note there was no separate wine list

TO START
Orange juice, fresh seasonal fruit, coffee or tea

WARM ENTREES

Fluffy parsley omelette served with bacon and grilled tomatoes

Warm turkey ham and cheese sandwich on white bread

FROM THE BAKERY

Choose your selection from our variety of toast and croissants served with butter and preserves

As I already had breakfast, I chose the sandwich, which was good, but on the small side. It came with some fruit and a chocolate covered donut. As I was to discover, the Argentines have quite the sweet tooth, so this was a perfectly appropriate breakfast item.

The rest of the flight passed uneventfully and we arrived in a rainy EZE right on schedule. To my pleasant surprise, there was no wait at immigration and after having my bag x-rayed, I was out of the airport in minutes. I ignored the offers for rides and went to the taxi stand were I got a taxi to take me to my hotel, the Sheraton Park Tower.

Part V – The Sheraton Park Tower and Buenos Aires

I had heard great things about this hotel on the Flyertalk Starwood board and was eager to see it for myself. The hotel is attached to the Sheraton Buenos Aires, but has a separate entrance and lobby. Check-in is done at sit down desks, not at a counter, which I thought was quite civilized. Despite being on an award stay for two of my three nights, I was upgraded to a suite with a commanding view of the Rio Plata and the main train station.

This was my first suite upgrade as a Starwood Platinum and it was a great one. It was a proper two room suite with a large bathroom featuring separate shower and bath. The living room had a desk and a full entertainment center, including a VCR and a stereo. The bed was no Heavenly Bed, but was quite nice. There was a bottle of champagne and a three tier tray with nuts, chocolates and dry and fresh fruit on the coffee table. I ate the food, but left the champagne as it was unclear if it was free and I didn’t want to look like a buffoon and ask. The food tray was replenished daily.

Despite a rainy first day, the rest of the trip the weather was great. I was worried that it was going to be too hot as February is like August in the Northern Hemisphere, but it was not. I was told it was unseasonably cool, but, as it was in the mid 70s, I thought it was perfect. During the trip I visited San Telmo, Recolletta and otherwise just strolled around the City.

While the Argentine economy is suffering, I never felt unsafe. I took some precautions with my wallet, but I never felt unsafe in taxis (which were dirt cheap) or while walking. I didn’t see many signs of poverty, but, when eating outdoors in San Telmo, I was approached by kids asking for some food. I ended-up giving away half my pizza, which was fine as I didn’t need to eat all of it. Not knowing any Spanish was not much of a hindrance as I found that most people understood basic English. I would, without hesitation, recommend to anyone that they visit Buenos Aires. It really is a world class city and I hope the new President, whoever it may be can restore prosperity.

Part VI – The Journey Home

February 18, 2003
Lan Chile 601
EZE-SCL
Departs Buenos Aires (EZE) @ 6:10 PM
Arrives Santiago (SCL) @ 7:25 PM
Airbus A340-300
Business Class Seat 7L

All too soon, it was time for me to leave Buenos Aires and return to the New York winter. While I was away, the Northeastern United States got hammered with a blizzard that dropped two feet of snow in New York City. Being in 70 degree weather while your co-workers and friends are being snowed-on made the trip that much better. 

I took a remise arranged through the hotel to the airport for $25. I thought it would be more comfortable than a taxi and be something akin to a Lincoln Town Car. It was just a beat-up car and not worth the premium I paid for it. Live and learn.

I got to the airport in about 35 minutes and quickly checked-in for my flight. My “Emeraldo” status did not help me snag a First Class seat on this flight, so I was going to have to tough it out in Business. I quickly paid my departure tax and immigration and security were reasonably quick. Lan Chile uses the American Airlines Admirals Club at EZE. Even though I am a member, I entered using my boarding pass as I figure Lan Chile pays AA for each business class passenger entering and AA needs the money.

I left the lounge early and strolled the airport and got my VAT refund. In addition to our flight, there was a Lufthansa 747-400, an Air France 777 and a Varig MD-11 all preparing to depart. The airport didn’t seem too crowded, however.

I boarded the flight and took my assigned Business Class seat just as the Air France 777 was pushing for Paris at the next gate. Up until the last moment, the First Class cabin remained empty and I was getting a bit peeved that I couldn’t get a seat there. However, the seats did fill-up with what I gather was a South American rock band. Judging from their age and the lack of excitement on the part of the cabin crew, I assume they were the South American equivalent of Whitesnake, but I have no real idea who they were.

We pushed just after a British Airways 777 was towed into the gate vacated by the Air France 777 and were airborne a few minutes later. Soon, a snack service was offered, but it seemed more like a dinner to me. Here is a menu transcript:

HOT SNACK

TO START OUR SNACK

Champagne Henriot, Brut Souverain

FRESH SALAD
Lettuce leaves with Gruyere cheese and nuts

FROM THE BAKERY
Choose your selection from our variety of warm breads

AS THE MAIN ENTRÉE, WE OFFER

MUSTARD TURKEY BREAST
Turkey breast slices served with a mustard sauce, accompanied with roasted potatoes with Parmesan cheese

OUR DESSERT
White Chocolate tort with raspberry sauce

Freshly brewed gourmet or instant coffee, decaffeinated coffee, tea or herbal tea

Liqueurs – Chocolates

I originally decided not to eat on this flight, but I took the meal and ate it all anyway. It was good, but really nothing special. We raced the setting sun as we crossed the continent. Nearing SCL, we had a good view of the Andes and we landed just as the sun was setting. I had about an hour to spare before my flight departed for JFK and I quickly made my way through security and to the Salon VIP.

February 18, 2003
Lan Chile 500
SCL-LIM-JFK
Departs Santiago (SCL) @ 8:30 PM
Arrives New York (JFK) @ 7:30 AM
Stops in Lima, Peru for approximately 1 hour
Boeing 767-300ER
First Class Seat 1D

The Salon VIP is a nice lounge, but I do not think it is an excellent one as some FTers do. The seats are not the most comfortable and I find the food selection a bit on the meager side (but still better than anything in an Admirals Club). It does have excellent workstations, many of which have computers offering free internet access. The lounge was very crowded, so I just stayed for a few minutes before I made my way to my gate for my flight to JFK.

As is always the case in my experience with flights going to New York, the boarding area was chaotic with people pushing to board as soon as boarding was announced. I waited for it to calm down and then strolled on board and took my seat in 1D, the center seat in a 2-1-2 arrangement. These seats are slightly different than the ones on the A340s, but are nevertheless quite comfortable. As it would be dark for nearly the whole flight, I figured I didn’t need a window and would sleep better in the center seat. As the 767 boards through the L1 door, the cabin was not relaxing as we waited to pushback. Nevertheless, they did manage to serve a drink (open bar as on the LAX flight) and the usual small dish of nuts. First Class was full on this segment.

We pushed on time and were airborne a few minutes later. Once at altitude we got our menus and the dinner service commenced. Here is a menu transcript:

LUNCH/DINNER

APPETIZER CART

Ossetra Malossol Caviar, from the Caspian Sea, served with toast points, blinis and sour cream

Lamb brochette served with pear chutney

Creamy crab casserole served in individual clay pots

Magellan King Crab

Champagne Tattinger, Comtes de Champagne
Vodka Absolut
OUR SALAD CART

Mix your own salad from our selection of seasonal vegetables
Choose your favorite toppings to go with it

A LA CARTE SERVICE

COMFORTING SOUP

SIMPLY DELICIOUS
Creamy mushroom soup topped with sautéed mushrooms

MAIN ENTREES

ROQUEFORT FILET OF BEEF
Grilled beef medallion served au gratin with a Roquefort sauce, accompanied by roasted potatoes and alfalfa sprouts
Our Master Sommelier suggests Don Maximiano Founder’s Reserve 1999 Vina Errazuriz
You can replace the Roquefort sauce by a meat juice

SALMON FILET WITH A CHAMPAGNE SAUCE
Salmon filet served atop spinach cannelloni enhanced by a champagne sauce with caviar
Our Master Sommelier suggests Anakena Reservado Viognier 2002 Vina Anakena
You can order an herbed butter for this option

GNOCCHI
Gnocchi served with a creamy morel sauce perfumed with rosemary
Our Master Sommelier suggests William Cole Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 Vina William Cole

FROM THE BAKERY
Variety of warm breads, crackers and grissini

CHEESE AND FRUIT

THE CHEESE
A selection of cheese served with grapes or dried fruit, Pumpernickel bread and crackers

FRESH FRUIT

OUR DESSERT

FRUIT FOOL
Meringue, whipped cream and vanilla cream dessert with berries and caramelized nuts

SOMETHING REFRESHING
Sweet milk and almond praline ice cream, served with chocolate sauce

COFFEE AND TEA
Freshly brewed gourmet or instant coffee, decaffeinated coffee, tea or herbal teas

OPEN BAR AND CHOCOLATES
Ask for your favorite drink from our menu
Chocolates

Once again, I wouldn’t be hungry. There were some differences between this service and the ones I’ve had on my A340 flights (LAX-SCL and SCL-LAX). Mainly, there was no separate “Cold Dishes” section. I assume this is due to the smaller galleys on the 767. I had a plate made-up of all the appetizers and a glass of champagne to accompany. I had a salad, which included tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, which is, in my opinion, one of the greatest foods humanity has ever created. I skipped the soup and choose the gnocchi for my entrée as it seemed lighter and I had a meal on my previous flight. I wanted the ice cream for dessert, but the flight attendant said it had melted and offered me the “Fruit Fool” instead. Ignoring my rule to never eat anything with “fool” in its name, I tried it and was pleasantly surprised. I still would have preferred the ice cream.

After the meal service, I got a duvet and relaxed listening to music for the remainder of the flight. Not all of Lan Chile’s 767s have the on demand audio and video and this plane was one that did not. They did have one pretty good audio channel that I listened to for the duration of the flight.

We landed in LIM on time just as the A340 in from LAX was leaving for SCL. Those of us with going to JFK could leave the plane, but we had to bring out stuff with us. As this is a hassle since LIM doesn’t have jetways and I was unsure if there is lounge available, I stayed on board.

We left on time from LIM and had only 3 of us in First for this leg. When I got home, I priced-out SCL-LIM in First Class and realized it was only a little over $1000, so maybe its worth it for some people to just do the short flight in First Class. Once airborne we were offered a snack service which I and the other 2 passengers, both of whom boarded in LIM, skipped. Here is a transcript:

SNACK

TO START

COFFEE, TEA, JUICES
Let’s share a good cup of tea, coffee or decaf and milk
Fresh fruit juices

OUR BREAD BASKET
Choose from our variety of cookies, warm breads and toast, served with butter and preserves

GOURMET SANDWICH SELECTION
Create your own sandwich choosing from the following ingredients

BREADS
Croissant roll – Corn Bread – Rolled Oats Bread

DELICIOUS FILLINGS
Ham – Prosciutto – Emmental Cheese – Gouda Cheese

FRESH VEGETABLES
Lettuce Leaves – Tomatoes – Avocado

DRESSINGS
Mayonnasise – Butter – Mustard

COMFORTIN SOUP (their typo, not mine)

SIMPLY DELICIOUS
Vegetable soup served with herbed croutons

SWEET FLAVORS

APPLE STRUDEL
Apple strudel topped with a vanilla sauce

Before falling asleep, I asked to be awoken for breakfast. I ended-up sleeping for virtually all this flight, using the duvet as a mattress over the seat. I changed into shorts and a t-shirt which helped me be comfortable as the cabin was quite warm. The flight attendant woke me by putting an ice cube in my hand about an hour out of JFK. Here is a menu transcript:

BREAKFAST

TO START

JUICES AND FRUIT
Fresh orange juice and a selection of fresh seasonal fruit
Yoghurt and Cereals

COFFEE AND TEA
Choose from our variety of coffee, decaffeinated coffee and tea

WARM ENTREES

EGG DISH
Ham omelette served with grilled mushrooms and sautéed asparagus

SWEET CHOICE
Banana pudding served with a ‘dulce de leche’ sauce

BREAKFAST SANDWICH
Create your own sandwich choosing from the following ingredients

BREAD ROLLS:
Country – Whole wheat and white bread roll – Croissant

DELICIOUS FILLINGS:
Ham – Grilled chicken breast – Gruyere cheese – fresh cheese

FROM THE BAKERY

OUR BREAD BASKET
Choose from our variety of cookies, breads and toast, served with butter and preserves

I just had the egg, the fruit and some toast. We began our descent into JFK just as the sun was coming-up and landed on Runway 4R just ahead of the Aerolinas Argentinas A340 from EZE and quickly taxied to Terminal 4, JFK’s new international terminal.

There was no line at immigration and I was the first off the plane, so I skipped the rope maze and went strait to an INS inspector. The guy got mad at me for skipping the line. When I told him I wouldn’t have if there had been anyone in it, he said that was not the point and that I should know better. Welcome to New York. This guy was, in the words of Howard Stern, a douche bag.

Despite getting the “Maze Nazi” for my inspector, I was through in no time and, as I didn’t have a bag to claim, in my limo service car probably before the last people got off the plane.

Part VII – Final Thoughts

American Airlines Domestic Flagship Service

Despite some cutbacks, it remains a good service in First Class and is probably the only service that AA offers that can be said to be best available. I will always try to include an AFS segment on any future award travel.

Lan Chile First Class

Lan Chile remains my second favorite First Class service in Oneworld behind Cathay Pacific (I’ve tried all but Iberia). While it does not have suites, the seats recline flat and, with only five seats, the service is very personal. I would recommend choosing an A340 over the 767 as the in-flight entertainment is better and the menu is slightly more elaborate. However, I would not hesitate to take a 767 flight if it was all that was available. The only change I would make is to enlarge the divider between the seats as it really offers little in the way of privacy.

The Sheraton Park Tower, Buenos Aires

Stay here if you come to B.A. It is a world class hotel in every sense of the term. While pricy, by using awards for two of the three nights, I got the cost down to something reasonable and was able to get stay credit for my Platinum requalification.

Buenos Aires

A great city with great people, great food and, at least when I was there, mostly great weather. I would go back in a second. The only caution I would offer is to make sure you change your Argentine Pesos back in Argentina as no one will take them in the USA.

Thanks for reading.

[This message has been edited by PresRDC (edited 08-18-2003).]
Old May 19, 2003, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent trip report!

One problem - I need to learn not to read reports that contain Premium Class menus so early in the day - I'm very hungry now.

Nobody wants your Argentinian pesos here?

I just keep leftover currency for my next trip.
Old May 19, 2003, 11:21 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
nice report!

I thought how the FA used an ice cube to wake you up kind of strange though...
Old May 19, 2003, 11:57 am

Great Reprt, PresRDC. A highly enjoyable account.

Ditto on the ice cube wake up though, what was that about... ?
Old May 19, 2003, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tfung:

I thought how the FA used an ice cube to wake you up kind of strange though...
</font>
Hey at least they didn't stick you hand in a bowl of warm water

Great trip report! Thanks!
Old May 19, 2003, 2:06 pm

Thanks for your trip report. I love Buenos Aires, so I'm glad to hear you liked it too. LAN Chile sounds terrific, so I'll have to fly on them one of these days (but I'll wear waterproof gloves to bed.)

How dare you cut through the ropes to get through immigration! As always, INS has its attention on all the right things.
Old May 19, 2003, 6:43 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Nice report! The Park Tower is a very nice hotel. Ricky Martin was staying there when I visited in March.

Funny thing though...they gave me a free ride to/from the airport, arranged via email in advance. I have no status with Starwood and was paying a normal rate.
Old May 19, 2003, 7:04 pm

Thanks for the report.

Will the A340 stay on the LAX-LIM run? http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/...rline=la&go=go (a galileo link) reports 763s now, in June, July, and August. (That's as far as I checked.
Old May 19, 2003, 8:34 pm

I have taken the same flights as you and I have loved the LA portion. The flight from LAX-LIM is sensational. I was the only person in first class from LAX-LIM. I never had so much caviar at one sitting. The service was sensational!
Old May 19, 2003, 9:57 pm
LLZ

Great report and spectacular service as usual from Lan Chile. BA is one of the greatest cities in the world. It's even better if you speak Spanish. Too bad (well, maybe not) some have forgone it due to the "situation." Have been there more times than I can count for business and pleasure in the last year and never had a problem.
Old May 20, 2003, 2:28 am

Nice report. It confirms my reckoning that Lan Chile is one of the best airlines in the Southern Hemisphere.
Old May 20, 2003, 3:38 am

Great report, thanks!

Tim
Old May 20, 2003, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Fantastic report-- you put a lot of work into it. Is this some kind of S. American custom to wake people with ice cubes? Definitely strange. I flew JFK-LIM in Y and got lots of food there, too, although not as good as what you had.
Old May 20, 2003, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks for all the kind comments, guys.

I didn't think much of the ice cube wake-up other than that it was effective, but now, looking back on iut, it was a bit odd. A good old shake would have been just as effective and less weird.

bedelman, I do not know why Lan Chile switches from an A340 to a 767 on the LAX route, but I think they did this last year as well. In addition to LAX, Lan is serving MAD/FRA and AKL/SYD with A340s as well as some regional services to EZE. Maybe one has to go out of service for a while and they need the A340 on the longer trips to Europe and Australia/New Zealand.
Old May 20, 2003, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
PresRDC, thanks for the detailed report. You know it's a good report when you finish reading and you're suddenly very hungry.

I'm hoping to you use some AA miles to do a OW award using LA in F to EZE or GIG so I have a few Qs.

1) How far ahead did you book the trip. Was it tough to get your preferred dates and did JFK have more availability than MIA or LAX?

2) Were stopovers allowed in SCL?

3) Does LA offer a decent dark rum e.g. Appleton, Myers, Mount Gay, Havana Club as part of the liqueur selection? Unfortunately, AA only has white Bacardi onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.