Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TG HAN-BKK-SIN-BKK-HAN in J

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2003, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

TG HAN-BKK-SIN-BKK-HAN in J

This is my first attempt at a Trip report, so please bear with me.

Since business is slow at the moment, Mrs Nzed and myself decided to take advantage of TG’s one for one deal and take a break in SIN, much to the consternation of some relatives who called and said it is safer to stay in Hanoi at the moment.

24 April
HAN-BKK
Dep 2045 Arr 2245
A300-600 HS-TAR
Seat 12 A&B

Hanoi’s new airport terminal is a stark contrast to the old one-very nice, airy and efficient. Check-in was a breeze, and after filling in a health declaration form (the first of many) we made our way painlessly through customs/immigration and headed for the shared lounge. Facilities were adequate, and staff were on hand to take food/beverage orders.

Looking out the window, I was surprised to see an A300 at the gate, since TG’s website had indicated the route had been downgraded to a 737. Boarding was announced at 2010hrs, and since there were only about 60 passengers on board, the doors were closed at 2020hrs. The aircrew were all wearing masks, and the usual pre-departure drinks were offered and push-back occurred a few minutes later. We passed by a number of old Russian aircraft, but the star was Vietnam Airlines brand new 777, which had only been delivered a few days beforehand-fantastic new livery makes it very distinctive.

After a quick taxi and an even quicker take-off, the meal service was started. Unfortunately I forgot to bring the menu, but I had a forgettable piece of chicken with Duval Leroy Champagne. The seat pitch was tight, but the seats were adequate and
comfortable for the short flight. After filling out another health card, we landed at BKK at 2200, 45 minutes early and it seemed like we were going on a tour of the airport, finally parking at a hard stand on the maintenance apron next to a gleaming Air Koryo Tu-162. Everyone piled onto the bus and we were off for the health check which consisted of a temperature check and short interview. Immigration was quick and we headed over to the Amari Airport Hotel for the night.

25 April
BKK-SIN
Dep 1145 Arr 1345
777-300 HS-TKF
Seat 12 A&B

Check-in was easy, we used the Fast track system now in place-didn’t make much of a difference, but I imagine it would be handy when there are several flights leaving. The Royal Executive Lounge is under renovation, so everyone was in the Royal Orchid Lounge near Gate 1. The lounge was okay, but very crowded with people sleeping across chairs.

Boarding was called at 1115hrs, and again we were on a bus to the other end of the airport. When you are standing next to those 777 engines, you really get a feeling for just how massive they are. Business Class only had 5 seats out of 36 occupied, so service was quite attentive. Again, the usual drinks were offered and meal choices were taken prior to take-off. The seats on this aircraft were all electronic, and seat pitch was not bad- I am 1.73m and to reach the seat pocket I had to unbuckle the belt and get out of the seat. IFE was not turned on, but upon request the crew put some games on for us. The IFE in J is a touch screen, which took a while to figure out.

Again, I forgot to bring the menu (apologies), and the flight was uneventful with the exception of a very close encounter with an SIA A310 while descending over Malaysia (8000ft according to the flight information on the screen). We saw the A310 out the windows a few miles away, heading in another direction and took no notice of it. A few minutes later we saw that the A310 had turned and was heading directly across our path slightly higher and ahead of us...just as they were about to pass over us, we made a very steep right turn away from them, and we could clearly see the registration of the A310 as they suddenly climbed…and hear their engines in our cabin…not very good for the nerves. No mention of the matter was made by the flight deck, but the general consensus among the passengers/cabin crew was that this was a lot closer than what you usually see. Landing was smooth, and we disembarked into an empty Changi Airport without any health screening.

3 May
SIN-BKK
Dep 1225 Arr 1325
A330-300 HS-TEC
Seat 14 A&B

After a week of relaxing in SIN, it was time to head back. There is now a premier check-in lounge in T1 for First and Business class pax for several airlines where the old Starbucks used to be and is similar to the SQ F check-in lounge in T2. We had to walk past the thermal imaging camera before going to customs, and when asked, the staff gave a brief explanation on how it works and what they are looking for.

Changi was empty-I can quite honestly say that this is the first time I have ever stood in the area after customs and been the only passenger in sight, although we did spot a few in the departure gates later on. The Royal Executive lounge was comfortable, but not spectacular and boarding was called a short while later.

Again, the usual formalities with boarding, and take off was very quick with most of the trip in cloud. Business Class was empty with exception of some off duty crew. Seats were comfortable, and the pitch was even bigger than the 777. Lunch was as follows:

Vermicelli Salad with Shrimp
Grilled Siam Perch with Brown Butter, Garlic Fried Rice, Buttered Spinach and Carrot Vichy

Or

Fried Chicken with Sesame Sauce, Chinese Noodles, Carrot Batonnets anf French Beans

Or

Stir-fried Seafood with Yellow Curry Sauce served with Steamed Thai Jasmine Rice
Thai Custard with Pumpkin

Tea, Coffee, Espresso, Capuccino

Wine
Fluer de Champagne Duval Leroy
Chateau Valoux Pessac Leognan Vintage 1999
Chateau Val Joanis 2001
Bourgogne Blanc Chardonnay 2001
Gewurztraminer Reserve “Bestheim” 2001

Landing was smooth, and yet again, we were on a bus to the terminal, passing an El Al 777 surrounded by security and Bhutan’s Druk Air Bae 146. After another health check and a quick trip into town, we made ourselves comfortable at the Plaza Athenee on Wireless Road.

4 May
BKK-HAN
Dep 1750 Arr 1930
A300-600 HS-TAR
Seats 12 A&B

Check-in was smooth, and the Royal Orchid Lounge was the same (crowded!). Boarding for the flight commenced on time, and I was surprised to see the flight was absolutely full.
Apart from waiting for some bags to be off-loaded due to a passenger not turning up, the flight was uneventful and smooth. Dinner was served and the menu was:

Bean and Chick-pea Salad
Grilled Chicken Breast with Chassuer Sauce

Or

Sauteed Red sanpper with Yellow Curry
Spain Fantasy
(This hard to describe-was like a mousse with dried fruit in it)

Wine list was the same.

Landing was smooth and on time and we went through another health check before customs/baggage claim.

Overall, Thai was good. Inflight service and catering was excellent throughout the trip, but they need to update their fleet pretty soon in order to compete with other carriers in the region.

If anyone wants the menu transcript for the return flights, let me know.
Old May 8, 2003, 6:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat.
Great trip report. Now I would definitely consider TG if I go to Vietnam this Christmas.
Old May 9, 2003, 12:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Excellent first attempt!

Blessings...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.