Old May 5, 2003, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
First MR Trip Report UA F/C STL-LAX-IAD-LHR-STL

01MAY03
UA417 STL-DEN
Shuttle 737-300
Seat: 1D

Arrived at STL about 90 minutes prior to flight time to find HUGE queues for check-in at both First/Premier and Economy lines. No apparent reason for this. Stood in F line for >10 mins then was checked in with little fanfare and given my BP's for STL-DEN and DEN-LAX and given detailed directions to the A gates...kindly explained I'd been there many times. The experienced local STL staff were working the Y line - a pleasant but new young man was working the F line. Had to ask for Priority bag check tagging - CSR was not going to do it but I patiently asked if he could please add a First tag - he came up with Priority tag and said it was best he could do. Despite the unusually large crowd, check in was smooth and my checked bag was quickly taken up by the security screening staff. Got through security in >2 mins. En route to gate received text message on phone stating DEN-LAX flt would be 55 minutes late.

Boarding was on time. F was offered exclusive boarding (prior to priority Y boarding). Sat down and was offered beverage immediately - declined as I still had most of a grande Starbucks coffee with me.

Pushback was maybe a minute late. Purser apologized for Shuttle equipment (!) during boarding and was exceptionally polite (more later) to all pax. Flight was completely full in both cabins. Channel 9 was on.

In flight service was the BEST I've ever had on short haul domestic, and neared the best I've had internationally on UA...which was explained after Michael, purser, explained he was ORD based and had been doing ORD-HKG and ORD-PEK until SARS shut those routes down. Greeted by name EVERY time he spoke to me and he even apologized for not refilling my Starbucks cup even though I'd declined the refill!! Each F pax was offered choices from the breakfast snack service (yogurt, banana, muffin, bagel) and presented with just what they ordered, individually plated (instead of just being thrown a set tray). I chose no food as had eaten a Starbucks pastry. Overall, a fantastic flight. Remarked to Michael I hoped he was back in the air on the long-hauls soon. All of us in F were beaming as we deplaned in DEN. Made comment to meeting GA to tell station manager about this exceptionally good cabin crew.

01MAY
UA781 DEN-LAX
A319
Seat: 1A
Proceeded to East RCC at DEN and had a cup of coffee. Advised of ~20min delay in departure time on 781 due to late arriving equipment. Went to departure gate at the time recommended by RCC staff. Boarding began in less than 1 minute from time of arrival at gate. No pre-departure beverage service. 55 min delay posted. Deli plate and Chicken Caesar offered en route - declined meal due to planned lunch appointment in Los Angeles. Due to headwinds and late gate departure, flight arrived LAX about 40mins behind schedule. Waited 20 mins more in bag claim for checked luggage.

Hertz LAX: Reserved Taurus (Full size 4D) through Amex Platinum Travel. Arrived Hertz Gold area and found a Volvo S70 in my assigned space, paperwork confirmed I was still paying the Taurus rate. Score!

Hotel: After all day flying and a 5 hour marathon meeting, arrived at my usual outpost in L.A., the Century Plaza. Despite *wood Gold and Amex Platinum reservation, got a crap room - smallest size, 2 doubles instead of the deluxe King N/S I had reserved. Due to late hour I didn't complain and went straight to bed.

02MAY
UA186 LAX-IAD
A320
Seat:1A

Checked in at International F line in T6. Asked about possibility of getting direct LAX-LHR flight - agent explained that it would be on the 18:45 departure, standby only, F and C fully booked. Decided to take original LAX-IAD-LHR routing. Was handed 3D boarding pass. Explained I'd reserved 1A and she quickly reprinted BP and apologized for the "confusion." Unfortunately the confusion had only begun. Checked bag through to LHR and headed to RCC. Went through Premier security line in >2 mins and entered RCC. Had cup of coffee, called home, and headed to Gate 83.

Boarding was on time despite only one employee being assigned to the entire boarding process for a full transcon flight (she made this plain through announcements). New config A320, great leg room in all rows of F.

Pilot came over PA and announced mechanical delay due to repairs to No. 2 engine. Said we could expect "at best" a 9:30 departure for the scheduled 8:45 flight. Captain continued to give very detailed updates about the repair (generator) throughout delay. Pax next to me (a full fare F to IAD) and I requested purser find some Champagne - she called Catering but none ever came. Due to delay, purser started first movie on the ground after deciding to skip the Tilton "On Time" video! Pilot kept Ch. 9 on throughout delay and gave informative, detailed updates about exactly what was being repaired and everyone's IAD connections, greatly reducing stress of delay. Still, no bubbly after all that. Repairs were completed (Captain even described the emergency disconnect test that was performed with engine running at flight power at gate!) and we pushed back at just after 10:00AM. Got priority clearance to 25R and took off immediately.

Meal choices consisted of Eggs Florentine or Pancakes. I had the eggs, which were a very nice timbale of scrambled eggs, spinach and cheese with a phyllo crust and sausages (didn't eat the sausages) and a fruit bowl.
Nice looking hot breakfast breads were offered.

After 1st movie ended, they showed another.
Later in flight, fresh baked chocolate chip cookies were served.

Arrived IAD about 0:45 late, not bad considering.

02MAY
UA920 IAD-LHR
767-300 (*A paint scheme!)
Seat: 6F

Went to C concourse RCC on arrival in IAD. Did not have time to try any food or beverages. Headed to gate in time to see we were on the *A paint scheme 763. Boarding commenced almost at once - F and C were invited simultaneously with Premier members. 78 total pax on plane - F:8, C:20, Y:50.

Offered Champagne, OJ or water twice before takeoff by all-LHR-based cabin crew. Champagne was warm - F/A apologized and said "the good stuff is chilling and we'll bring it round as soon as we're in the air." Unfortunately the 'good stuff' turned out to be Drappier. Left the gate right on time and took off from 1L within 5 minutes. No Channel 9.

TO BEGIN
Smoked salmon with Parma ham
Capers and lemon aioli

Garden salad with balsamic Dijon vinaigrette and an assortment of specialty breads fresh from the bakery

MAIN COURSE
Filet mignon with Hollandaise sauce
Home-fried potatoes and a vegetable medley

Rotisserie-style chicken with honey mustard beurre blanc
Corn flan and spinach with smoked bacon

Prosciutto and basil wrapped shrimp
Mediterranean-style tomato sauce and lemon-flavored rice pilaf

DESSERT
International cheese selection
New England Cheddar and Gorgonzola cheese

Eli's Chocolate Truffle cheesecake

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Continental breakfast featuring fresh seasonal fruit, breakfast breads and fruit preserves

I asked to be woken with the minimum time to have coffee (no food) prior to arrival. Unfortunately, I woke before they woke me. Had 2 cups of decent hot Starbucks prior to a very smooth landing right on time at LHR after 2 turns in the usual holding pattern.

Straight through Fast Track, bags were out within >8 mins and off to the HEx.

Arrived at the Mandarin Oriental by cab around 8AM.

Mandarin Oriental London

Arrived very early. The room they had booked for me was not available, but they offered a downgraded room available at once, with the opportunity to move to originally assigned room when ready. After seeing the "downgraded" room (#103) I decided simply to stay put - it was more than adequate for my one night stay. Great hotel - service, location and facilities were superb.

04MAY
UA929 LHR-ORD
B777
Seat: 12A

Arrived rather late and just caught check-in cutoff. Went to RCC and found it crowded but had "breakfast" - 2 muffins, 2 glasses OJ and a coffee. Flight called for departure, headed to gate, then right on board.

Didn't grab the menu, but main course choices were steak (which I had - BAD), lamb curry, or a vegetarian pasta. Had the steak and regretted it. Otherwise, cabin service was superb. Mostly LHR based crew. Plenty of Veuve flowing in C. Great service.

04MAY
UA1537 ORD-STL
737-500
Seat:2A

Great flight, light load, no Channel 9.
Beverage service - fresh pot of coffee after takeoff - nice crew - what else need be said?

[This message has been edited by UAL_Rulez (edited 05-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by UAL_Rulez (edited 05-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by UAL_Rulez (edited 05-08-2003).]
Old May 8, 2003, 3:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Welcome aboard!

Thanks for posting...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.