Wiki Posts
Search

AA/AS/QX LGA-DCA/IAD-SEA-PDX-SEA-DCA-LGA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2003, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

AA/AS/QX LGA-DCA/IAD-SEA-PDX-SEA-DCA-LGA

Hi Folks,

Here will be my last report in April, due to extremely busy works for the rest of the month. This report is nothing special… just a simply Alaska/Horizon/American Eagle report. The most interesting report is the AE reports on the shuttle flights. I don’t think AE is good enough to compete with DL and US Shuttle. The product is much inferior, compared to DL and US. The only redeeming part about AE is the triples miles. Here it goes!

April 12, 2003
AA 4491 LGA-DCA Lv1300 Arr1415
EMB135RJ N707EB Dedicated to AA outstanding employee of 1999, Jim Anderson
Check in was simple, since I used the machines. The AA area was not particular busy this Saturday afternoon. I went to the gate, C-2, around noon. Our aircraft came in early from DCA this morning, and we had a jet bridge. The flight was about 50-60% full, which was not too bad. Boarding began at 12:44pm and I headed to seat 1A. The legroom was fine, but you will find a hard time in finding overhead space on full flights. Be forewarned, there is technically no overhead storage on the single seats side. Door closed right on time, and we had a friendly flight attendant this afternoon. Both the F/A and the pilots warned us about the thirty minutes rule applied to DCA. So everyone was to be seated throughout the whole thirty-eight minutes flight. We pushed back five minutes later, and headed towards Runway04 and took off at 1:19pm. We climbed to 20,000ft. Due to the weekend nature of these shuttles, no snack pack was offered, but the F/A gave us a full can of beverage with two packs of Fisher’s mini-pretzel sticks – yuck! I guess every shuttle carriers is not serving snack on weekend flights. We began our descent at 1:39pm and landed on Runway 1 at 1:57pm, and parked at gate 33. This time, we had to deplane through stairs. Nothing much to report! Then I took the metro towards West Fall Church, where I will catch the Washington Flyer Coach to IAD. The metro system at IAD was quite nice, and I like the monitors, which tell you when the train is coming. It is cleaner than the NYC subway system. For those who are curious, you need to change trains once to get to West Fall Church, and the whole metro ride took about 35-40 minutes plus 5 minutes of waiting time. The Dulles Shuttle costs about $8 O/W and took about thirty minutes. The coach service was nice too.

AS 3 IAD-LAX Lv1720 Arr2016
Boeing 737-700 N612AS
IAD was a nightmare this afternoon, and there were lines everywhere. It was also difficult to find the airline counters, with the confusing signage. Lines at NW/LX/OS/BA counters built up around the terminal, and the construction did not help. The AS area was pretty busy, as no check in kiosks were set up but there were four people working and I was quickly helped by a friendly and cute Korean boy. Gosh! How does AS know my latest “love”? Anyway, AS is good in the ground aspect. After setting out searching for OS timetables, I went to the security checkpoint. As you can expect, it is busy everywhere. Then there is the annoying ride on those little buses. Lines everywhere! IAD was busy with the full array of European airlines – LX, SK’s Boeing 767 with new livery, ET, OS, BA (G-VIIN with Canada livery), LH 744 (D-ABTC), and AF. Gate D23 was the assigned AS gate at Dulles. The incoming flight arrived a bit late today and therefore boarding began at 5:03pm. The flight was pretty full today, and no wonder a Boeing 737-900 will fly the AS3/4 sequence beginning this summer. Anyway, the door was only closed five minutes behind schedule and thanks to a light headwind this evening our flying time was only five hours and seven minutes. We would arrive early indeed, despite our slight delays at IAD. We took off from Runway 1R at 5:45pm and climbed to 35,000ft.

Dinner service began shortly after takeoff. There was no separate beverage service, and our initial beverage came with our salad. A little bit disappointed about the lack of printed menus this evening and on the return flight to DCA as well – I hope it was not a cost cutting effort!
Here is my self-created menu:
To Begin
Garden Green Salad
Romaine lettuce with yellow pepper strips, tomato wedges, and taro flavored crispy sticks, accompanied by Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette and a selection of rustic bread

Main Courses
Poached Salmon with a white wine cream sauce, Parmesan Cheese Potato and Sugar Snap Peas
Or
Chicken Wellington – Baked Chicken inside a puff pastry with a gravy sauce, accompanied by wild rice and butter carrots

Dessert
Hot Fudge Cake

For economy passengers, the dinner was a choice of roast pork and chicken straganoff with egg noodles.

The salad was fresh as usual and the chicken entrée was amazing… I cleared the plate we were each given two pieces of breads and my neighbor’s wish for extra bread was granted. The F/A was efficient and kept our glasses filled. After dinner, the DVD players were passed out as usual. For those who care, here was a list of movie selections for April –
City by the Sea
I Spy
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Signs
Spy Kids 2
Sweet Home Alabama
White Orleander

About midway through the flight, we were given hot warm mixed nuts and hot towels. The flight soon came to an end. We began descent on a rainy night at Seattle at 10:28pm EST. We landed on Runway34L at 7:52pm (SEA is three hours behind IAD), and made our way to gate D8. We parked at 7:57pm and there were many passengers continuing onto Anchorage this evening.

QX 2293 SEA-PDX Lv2030 Arr2114
Dash 8 Q400 N404QX
I immediately rushed to the customer service counters and hope to get on the earlier PDX flight. I looked at the screen, 8pm flight to PDX was cancelled but 8:30pm was running on time. I was bit concerned about possibilities in getting the 8:30pm flight, but it did not hurt to ask. I asked the agent about possibility and he immediately placed me on the waiting list. Although I found the gentleman was a bit on the “New Yorker” attitude side (and the communication text that he was reading did not help much obviously), I did not have time to be ticked off. I headed immediately to gate C2J, and found a crowd of people. Thankfully, I realized that a Dash 8-Q400 was used on this flight, and after the general boarding went under way, and my name was called out among the first group of standby to get cleared. I got an aisle seat towards the rear of the aircraft, 12D. Door was closed a bit late, due to unknown reason, but not a big deal. We pushed back eight minutes late, but due to light traffic at this time period, we took off from R/W34R at 8:43pm.

Flying time was thirty minutes. For those unfamiliar with Horizon, a limited beverage service was served on the larger planes on QX (CR7 and DH4) to be exact, but don’t worry! The microbrew and red wine (Merlot tonight) were still available for passengers of age 21 and above. For other passengers, “Treetop’s” Apple juice and bottled water were available as choices too. The snack featured tonight was a nice Tim’s Cascade style Potato chips… a bit on the small side, but sufficient for a thirty minutes flight. The F/A managed to serve everyone a round of beverage, plus refills. These QX F/As are some of the best in the industry, especially compared to other regional airlines. They are friendly and efficient. In no time, we were beginning our descent towards a rainy Portland. We landed on Runway 10R at 9:13pm and parked at gate A4.
I stayed overnight at the Hilton Garden Inn, Portland Airport, which was pretty nice and I had McDonald for dinner.

April 13, 2003
QX 2216 PDX-SEA Lv1100 Arr1159
Dash 8 Q100 N357PH “The Great City of Portland”
I arrived at PDX a bit earlier than expected, and was happy to see the brand new Lufthansa counters next to AS and QX. It was a beautiful sight and LH used the D Concourse for those who are curious. I visited the Board Room and the staff was friendly. I used the “paid” internet booth for a little bit and had a glass of juice. Mini bagels and pastries and peanuts were available as snacks. It was not crowded this morning and soon I headed towards A8. Unfortunately, our flight was delayed for thirty minutes due to late arrival of the incoming aircraft. I sort of wish that they will have announce it a bit earlier, so I can stay at the BR a bit longer. Anyway, boarding started son at 11:22am, and door was closed at 11:37am. Another cheerful F/A this afternoon was taking care of us. We took off from Runway 10L at 11:45am, and our flying time was a short thirty-seven minutes. On Dash 8-100, a full beverage service was offered. Once again, microbrew and Merlot were available. Snack this afternoon was “Oh Boy Oberto’s hickory-flavored beef jerky bites,” which was not bad. Descent began at 12:02pm, and we landed on R/W16R at 12:22pm, and parked at gate C2 two minutes later.

AS 2 SEA-DCA Lv1320 Arr2100
Boeing 737-700 N612AS
I stopped the Board Room a little bit and there was the cheese & crackers, vegetable plates, and pretzels. Gate today was D4, and what a surprise, N612AS, was there again. Boarding began a bit early at 12:45pm, and we pushed back at 1:30pm. Due to a problem with one of the display screens, we were a bit late pushing back this afternoon. After an EVA’s Boeing 747 Combi landed on R/W16R, we took off from 16L at 1:39pm. Flying time was four hours and twenty-seven minutes, and we initially climbed to 33,000ft, which climbed further to 37,000ft. The pilots warned us about the thirty minutes rule every half an hour. I don’t see the effectiveness of this rule, but rules are rules. The captain kept on informing us about time before he turned on the seat belt sign.

Well, I did not have my usual aisle seat today, and only got a window seat. It is usually fine but today, I had some famous sports coach sitting next to me. He was constantly chatting with his friends in front of him and was the typical OBC type. But what can you do?

Seat belt sign was turned off at 2:02pm, and hot towels were passed out two minutes later. Mixed nuts and beverage was served shortly later. Once again, printed menus were not loaded… either cost cutting or mistakes by catering. Anyway, the meal itself is once again good –

To Begin
Mesclun Green Salad
Topped with Brie Cheese, Kiwi Slices, and toasted Almond Flakes
Accompanied by a Fat-Free Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing

Bread Basket
A slice of French bread and Olive bread

Main Courses
Beef fillet with red wine sauce, green beans, and a creamy risotto-potato cake
Or
Poached white fish with white rice and Asian vegetables

Dessert
Cheesecake with hot fudge sauce

Economy Class
A meal with a salad, desert, a roll, and a choice of Halibut with Asian soy sauce & gingered carrots or Hungarian Beef Stew with egg noodles and mixed vegetables

The salad was nice, but it will be better if the kiwi is actually sweet. The breads are the weakest links… I just don’t like the olive bread loaf. The beef was excellent once again and the risotto-potato cake is excellent. The sauce is good. The cheesecake is great too. DVD players were passed out after dinner. Last round of beverage was offered forty minutes prior to arrival with the typical black plastic bowl of warmed mixed nuts. Seat belt sign turned on at 5:40pm, and everyone took their seats. We landed on Runway 1 at 9:06pm (DCA was three hours ahead), and parked at gate 1 shortly. Another successful flight!

April 14, 2003
AA 4469 DCA-LGA Lv1300 Arr1410
EMB-135RJ N736DT Dedicated to Outstanding AA Employee 2001 “Susan Piper”
I arrived the airport at 12:15pm and used the check in kiosks again. Gate was 34 this afternoon and there was a jet bridge. Unfortunately, the load was pretty poor… 16 all together including a whole AA crew. Boarding began at 12:41pm, and door was closed at 12:53pm. We pushed back at 12:56pm and began taxing at 1pm. The plane took off from Runway 19 at 1:06pm. Flying time was forty-eight minutes, with a cruising attitude of 21,000ft. John, our sole F/A, reminded us that seat belt sign was on for the rest of the flight. He soon came out with the beverage cart – only a cup of beverage but there was a snack pack – once again presented by Oakridge Farm. It consists of a Le petit fromage cheese spread, Carr’s crackers, Oreo Cookies, a pack of Honey roasted almonds, a plastic knife, and a moist towelette. Well, the snack items are higher class than Jetblue, but it is not as good as the sandwiches served by DL or US Shuttle. There is a newspaper rack at the jetway, but only two copies of Financial times. I guess only for the morning… Soon we began our descent once passing Philadelphia and landed on R/W22 at 1:54pm. We parked at gate C3 at 2pm, but we had to use the stairs.

Well, Alaska remains a good airline and cutbacks are not evidenced as other US airlines. The F/As were great and it really gives a very causal environment. Horizon is the best regional airline in the US… no doubt. American Eagle is not bad, but the Shuttle service does not look good. It severely lacks behind DL and US Shuttle. The triple miles is a way to attract flyers, but the service is still not good enough. It needs better ground service, complimentary beverage stations, business centers, complimentary papers and magazines at all days (magazines… well not really necessary, but papers is a must). AA is charging the same as DL and US right now, but unless it is willing to be the underdog/lower the fare, I don’t see how this service can be sustained. That is my opinion.

Carfield
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
As always, I enjoyed reading your report.

It still seems to me that other than this "bread basket," AS is serving pretty much the same thing on its transcon flights as they would on a two-hour dinner flight up or down west coast. It seems like they could at least offer an appetizer or an additional choice of entrees up front like on CO.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:56 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Ahhhh - Carfield....I realize that work has got you busy, so I will wait with baited breath for another fabulous report.

Don't work too hard and forget us here @ FT...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Apr 16, 2003, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks, Carfield!

As always, an enjoyable read. I too think that the Chicken Wellington entree is wonderful, one of the best anywhere in the skies. However, I've only seen it offered out of IAD. Does Alaska offer it out of any other cities?
Old Apr 17, 2003, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments!

Yes, AS can perhaps use a bit more enhancement on the main meal services on these transcon flights. Well, you got a little larger salad and more choices on the breads and warmed mixed nuts on these long flights. I don't foresee AS doing it because of costs...

About the Chicken Wellington entree, I have seen it catered out of Boston once.

BTW, QX uses a Dash 8-Q200s, not Q100...

Carfield

Old Apr 20, 2003, 12:13 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Carfield,

Shame on you! You stopped overnight in my hometown and didn't e-mail me!! Tsk tsk.

Nice report, as always. Strange that the LH counter is clear on the other side of the concourse from UA. With only one flight a day you'd think check-in would be at the UA counters???
Old Apr 20, 2003, 7:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I find it odd that you did not recive a snack pack. I took AA's Shuttle to DCA twice on Saturdays and got the snack pack both times. On your ticket was it listed with a meal or just beverage service?

------------------
DC-10's Forever!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.