BA Concorde Trip Report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Concorde Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2003, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
BA Concorde Trip Report

I know that there has been a lot of Concorde trip reports posted here, but not too many with photos, so I thought I’d give it a go.

I had over 300000 miles in my QF account (all from hard flying, by the way), and I thought the old bird would not be flying for much longer, so I decided to treat my brother and myself to a trip to NY on Concorde, returning on BA First.

Flight BA001 21 March 2003

Left home in London at 7:30am from the 10:30am flight from Heathrow. Easy drive to Heathrow for that time of the morning, and checked straight in. At check-in I found out that Concorde was not only full for the day, but overbooked by seven seats, though they were not offering bumps. I guess that may have had something to do with the Oscars being on 23rd.

We headed straight to the lounge to see the bird parked outside:

http://www.wandersen.pwp.blueyonder....newyork003.jpg

The lounge was quite empty when we arrived, and I decided to have some breakfast washed down with some Krug 

The main purpose of the early arrival was to head to the Molton Brown Spa. Even though we arrived at 8:00am at the airport, all slots at the Spa were booked until 10:30  They really need to put a few more people on before Concorde departs !! I’ve sampled the Spa many times before myself, but my brother was sorely disappointed.

We met another couple of flyertalkers in the lounge who had taken advantage of the Inside Flyer offer last year….

About one hour before take-off, they made an announcement for everyone to bring their coats forward for loading on to the plane. As the plane was full, they also asked people to bring forward all hand baggage for checking. Checking baggage on the Concorde is never an issue as they guarantee that the luggage will be at the carousel in less than seven minutes after landing. At this time, the Captain made an announcement in the lounge (about flying time, etc), and then proceeded to greet all passengers in the lounge.

Just before boarding, the lounge was very full. So much so, I don’t think there were any seats left. The lounge suddenly was not so exclusive !!

They boarded the rear cabin first. We were one of the last to board into our seats at 4A & 4B:

http://www.wandersen.pwp.blueyonder....newyork005.jpg

The taxi seemed to take forever as the Concorde needed to take off on the landing runway at Heathrow as the runway then being used for take-offs is not smooth enough for the Concorde …. How to delay every other plane at Heathrow in one easy step 
Take off was amazing. Incredible acceleration and a very steep angle of descent. I honestly though that if I’d stood up, I’d soon have rolled down to the back of the plane.

The plane cruises at Mach 0.9 until it reaches the Bristol Channel where it has clearance to go supersonic. They turn on the afterburners again (or technically the reheats as the Captain put it) and the plane speeds up to Mach 2.

This is about when they started the brunch service. Brunch was as follows:

To start your day our “Speciality Smoothies” a chilled blend of fresh juice and juices.

Canapes

Appetiser

Carpichcio of pineapple with Greek yoghurt fresh berries and honeycomb

Entrees

Farmhouse brunch of scrambled eggs, pork sausage, grilled bacon, tomato and sautéed wild mushrooms

New season lamb with a thyme and herb pancake wrapped in brioche served with ginger and redcurrant compote

Four cheese ravioli with pesto sauce, parmesan and mozzarella

Lobster Salad with herb tabbouleh

Desert

Chocolate and caramel tart with early grey tea cream anglaise

Cheese

Old Gloucester, stilton and unpasteurised golden cross

Selection of bread rolls and breakfast pastries

Coffee, decaffeinated coffee, a selection of tea with chocolates

As an alternative to the full menu, we are pleased to offer a selection of freshly made sandwiches including prawns on malted bread, parma ham, mozzarella and rocket on softgrain, brie, celery and spinach on wholemeal bread.

The appetiser is here:

http://www.wandersen.pwp.blueyonder....newyork011.jpg

Note the caviar which was not listed on the menu, but was fantastic. You can see I ate the lot from the photo of the next course – I had the lamb:

http://www.wandersen.pwp.blueyonder....newyork013.jpg

And my brother had the farmhouse brunch:

http://www.wandersen.pwp.blueyonder....newyork014.jpg

The wines were as follows:

Champagne:

Alfred Gratien Cuvee Paradis

White:

Corton Charlemagne 1991 Bonneau du Martray

Red:

Chateau Petit Village 1994 Promerol

Port

Warre’s 1982 Colheita Port

The food is nothing special, though it is only a brunch service. Nothing close to the food that you would get in first class on BA. But then, there is only 6 cabin crew for 96 people, which allows a business class service at best.

Some photos inside – this one showing the screens on the other side of the plane, and the back of the girl in front’s head. She is a minor Hollywood celeb, and used to date Bruce Willis:

http://www.wandersen.pwp.blueyonder....newyork008.jpg

And this one, again of the mach metre at 58,000 feet. I’m not sure who that passenger is, but every one of the staff on the plane and in the lounge knew who he was:

http://www.wandersen.pwp.blueyonder....newyork015.jpg

And then at 58,000 feet (our highest point):

http://www.wandersen.pwp.blueyonder....newyork016.jpg

And out the window:

http://www.wandersen.pwp.blueyonder....newyork012.jpg

Landing on Concorde is just as amazing as takeoff. A very steep angle of decent, and the reverse thrusters are used to their fullest extent. It was like hitting a brick wall, but less messy.

We landed exactly on time in New York. There is no other international arrivals at that time into Terminal 7 at JFK, so there was no queue for immigration. Luggage was off by the time we got to the Carousel (if they can do this for Concorde, why not EVERY plane ?)

Headed off to our hotel – the Hudson. While I won’t go into the full detail of my stay, I’ve heard good things and bad things about the Hudson. I’ve got to say that the Hudson is staffed by the friendliest staff I’ve ever experienced in a hotel. We had a suite (so our room was not one of the small boxes), and it was amazing. Even the general manager of the hotel called me after we checked in to offer any assistance, and even gave us his cell-phone number !! The roof terrace (exclusive to guests) is also pretty amazing on a good New York spring day 

[This message has been edited by ozzie (edited 03-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by ozzie (edited 03-31-2003).]
Old Mar 29, 2003, 4:58 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for an excellent report. On your hotel notes, I am a great fan of Ian Schrager, and go to the Hudson quite a bit (and the other Manhattan hotels also). In London, I love the Sanderson.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 5:00 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Just an additional note, the links to the photos dont seem to work.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Photos are just being uploaded now ... you are way too quick for me :-)
Old Mar 29, 2003, 10:41 am

The person you have photographed looks just like Dr. Jürgen F. Strube, Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors of BASF Aktiengesellschaft http://www.basf.de/en/corporate/over...f2Mjr0**bsf100.

[This message has been edited by dave125 (edited 03-29-2003).]
Old Mar 29, 2003, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice report Ozzie!

I am on the rocket on Good Friday - can't wait. As I want to do the full tourist experience, I am very keen to get the flight certificate - did they get handed out on your flight?
Old Mar 29, 2003, 3:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Way to go Ozzie...

Are the photos supposed to be blury? Hmmmm

Blessings to you...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Mar 30, 2003, 9:30 am

Ozzie... enjoyed your report. I especially liked the photos of the food. Thanks for taking us along.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Out of curiosity did you have a FA with a great big emerald ring named Joanna or a cabin services director named Long-something (female) . I recognize the back of the FA's head from being on my JFK-LHR flight.

P.S. I sat in your seat only 2 days later
Old Mar 31, 2003, 2:26 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swanhunter:
Nice report Ozzie!

I am on the rocket on Good Friday - can't wait. As I want to do the full tourist experience, I am very keen to get the flight certificate - did they get handed out on your flight?
</font>
Yes - they handed out flight certificates at the end ... nothing else though.

Sorry a couple of the photos are a little blurry, but I didn't want to use my flash on the plane .... and while my camera is good in low light, it's not that good :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.