Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

JL 005 JFK-NRT NEW FIRST CLASS with pictures!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Well, I finally did it. I was able to grab an award seat using AA miles on the new Ross Lovegrove designed seats on the Japan Air Lines first class flight from JFK-NRT. For all pictures please refer to http://photos.yahoo.com/prostatehealth123 and then just click on the folder labelled JL 005.

Arrival
I had arrived at JFK for the 12 noon flight at 10AM. I was told in the check in line that the flithe was to be delayed due to the late arrival of the incoming flight JL 006 from NRT. I of course was disapointed, but I was virtually horrified when the first class ticketing agent told me that the first class section of this aircraft would not be the new FC! However, a supervisor quickly came over to me and then told me that the aircraft was equipped with the new first class seats. I was given a pass to the FIRST CLASS lounge. The Sakura lounge and the FC lounge at JFK are in the same area. The passengers in the FC lounge just are guided to a smaller section. The food selections included sushi, soba noodles, as well as udon. What was unique about the JAL lounge was that it had the best business center I have ever seen. Each person had their own table with internet connections as well as phone lines. Very private and very quiet. Made the time pass very quickly. I had a few pieces of the crab sushi rolls and a couple glasses of green tea. Sushi was great.

Boarding
Please see the pictures of the seats. It is hard to descibe. However, this is my FAVORITE layout of first class I have ever been on. It is better IMHO than CX, SQ, QF and BA. There are 11 seats with an incredible sense of privacy and room. There were 10 of us in the section on this flight. No sooner than I had put my briefcase down, than I was shown how the seat functioned. As the pictures will illustrate there were more gadgets and storage space than one could possibly imagine. The orange side table was very nice to have and the side and shoe storage compartments were just wonderful

FOOD and IFE
I had sat down and a trio of Foie Gras, salmon and crab appetizers were set down. Pictures really dont do the presentation justice. Menus were handed out and here is the transcript:

Appetizer
Ossetra Caviar
Maine Lobster with corn relish

Soup
Tomato Garden Soup

Salad
Fresh vegetable salad with balsamic vinegar dressing

Main dish
Fillet of Beef Cafe de Paris
Grilled chicken Americaine with Plum tomato chili sauce
Roasted Sea Bass with Beurr Blanc Sauce

Assorted Cheeses

Dessert
Fruit Tart
Mont-Blanc
Mango Mousse
Chocolate Cake
Cut fruits in season

Beverages

SPRING TASTE OF JAPAN
Japanese Appetizer
Grilled Conger Eel with Bracken
Prawn Sushi wrapped with Bamboo Leaf
Fillet of Beef Tataki Style
Grilled ****ake Mushroom

Wan
Japanese Clear soup with Turbot Fillet

Mukouzuke ( sashimi )
Fresh Soft Salmon, Tuna

Kobachi
Lobster and Cucumber in Egg Yolk vinegar sauce

Nimono
Deep- simmered bamboo shoots in light soy sauce

Main Dish
Grilled Tilefish in Sweet Soy Sauce

Rice

Japanese Sweets

SELECTIONS available anytime

WESTERN TRAY
Grilled Salmon with Lemon dill Sauce
Fresh Salad
Fruit Tart

JAPANESE TRAY
Boiled Spinach with Sun-dried Whitebait
Grilled Black Cod Miso flavor
Japanese Pickles
Japanese Miso Soup
Rice

RICE
Steamed Rice and vegetables with Japanese Tea
Chicken Curry Japanese Style
Simmered Eel in Sweet Soy Sauce
Braised Beef in Sweet Soy Sauce on Steamed Rice

NOODLES
Udon Noodles in Soup with Fried Bean curd
Ramen Noodles in Soup with Pork fillet

A LA CARTE
Grilled Lamb chops with Meaux Mustard Sauce
Seafood Congee
Beef Stew
Sandwiches

REFRESHMENTS
Prepared Fresh Fruits
Vanilla Ice cream or Green Tea Ice Cream

As you can see this menu is quite extensive. While the food was exquisite, the IFE was not. JAL needs to update their IFE. There was a 6.4 inch screen with AVOD. The movie selection was pitiful. For a thirteen and one half hour flight, the folks at JAL should really begin to offer more selections to their passengers. However, the seat comfort and ability to sleep really made up for this "defect". Unlike CX, QF, SQ, and BA, there were NO SLEEPER SUITS. However, the seats were so comfortable that I sleep was inevitable.

All in all this was a very wonderful flight. The JAL crew were all very friendly. They went out of their way to make sure that I was having a good flight. The food was outstanding as were the seats. I did not imbibe and therefore I did not include the champagne and wine selection. If it is requested, I will post the selections. Hope that you enjoyed this report.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
nice report... from what I see in the pictures, I think I would personally prefer the new ANA F class over the JAL one...
Old Mar 10, 2003, 5:45 am

Nice report. I'm on JAL005 on 12 March, also in F. Didn't they have the Eye-Trek system available? According to the web-ste this system is available on 005/006. Also, the web-site clearly states that leisurewear is available. I'll file a report after my flight.

Are you returning on 006? I am, I'm curious to see how the two compare especially in food.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 6:02 am

Great review thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2003, 6:30 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Very interesting report about the new JAL F class. Thanks RTW4, especially for the pictures.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 7:16 am

Very interesting report and great pics! Thanks

Tim
Old Mar 10, 2003, 8:18 am
Uli

Thank you for the report and the pics!
The colour scheme looks a bit odd to me ...

Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:16 pm

Yeah, very odd colour scheme. Are the seats flesh-toned? They look awful!

Good report though! Thanks
V.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:44 pm

Programs: CX DM, UA UGS, SQ PPS, AA EXP/1MM, SPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Centurion
Great Report Thanks ! I really think that ANA also needs an improvement on their IFE. The choices are just not good enough !
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report with photos for those of us who are visual! The seat looks very comfortable.
Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:06 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Great report. You mentioned that they did not have sleeper suits, did they have amentity kits of any kind?
Old Mar 11, 2003, 12:16 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Great report, thank you very much.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Yes there are amenity kits. However, there were NO sleeper suits even offered on this flight. Amenity kits were blue velvet lined pouches. However, I did not open as I save these for my girls who collect them
Old Mar 11, 2003, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Isn't it about time you became RTW5 or even RTW6 by now?

Thanks again for another fine photo report and, as always, for the inclusion of the menu transcript. I always enjoy your reports! Where to from NRT?

Old Mar 11, 2003, 4:20 pm

Programs: QF NS, UA 2P
Thanks for your great report RTW4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.