Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waivers and Favors live: standing by for JFK-xLAX-SFO on UA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2003, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Waivers and Favors live: standing by for JFK-xLAX-SFO on UA

I had a really nice experience on United yesterday, flying a route which I hadn't flown before so I thought I'd write it up for my first report:

I was scheduled to fly JFK-xLAX-OAK at 4:30pm on a ridiculously cheap fare, less than half the price of JFK-SFO direct. I finished up early in NYC so I went out to the airport to try and stand by on an earlier flight or maybe even get on the direct flight to SFO. No dice on the direct flight although there seemed to be some difference of opinion about whether this change would require a re-fare or just a $100 change fee. In the end, I could have done it for $100 but that would have added 40% to the ticket price so I passed.

After waiting for everyone to board flight 11 to LAX, the GA called me to the podium and assigned me the last seat available which happened to be in business; apparently someone on the waitlist had boarded before they called his name, oh well. It wasn't quite an op-up since I'd upgraded my regularly scheduled flight but still pretty good. I was the last (or maybe second to last) to board but still was served the pre departure drink (OJ or water). We pushed back and departed right on time. Channel 9 was left on the ground frequency long after takeoff. It was a bit odd to listen to planes requesting pushback when we were at 10,000 feet. The IFE on this flight (the DVD player on my laptop :-) was wonderful. I started watching a movie and the passenger next to me (one of you, perhaps?) lent me his Bose headset, the first time I've tried these. It was very quiet inside but I'm not (yet) sure it's worth the investment since the noise doesn't bother me that much to begin with. The flight attendants came around with drinks and nuts (not warm) and were quick to refill my drink before it was empty.

Since I've been asking about food service on this "premium transcon" route, It's only fair that I should post the menu:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
TO BEGIN

Chilled Antipasto plate
Prociutto, coppa ham with black pepper, mozzarella cheese, oven roasted beets, artichokes and Kalamata olives

Heartland field greens with carrots and yellow bell peppers
Balsamic vinaigrette or classic Caesar dressing

MAIN COURSE

Filet mignon with bourbon molasses barbecue sauce
Garlic basil mashed potatoes and a vegetable medley

Pecan-crusted breast of chicken with peach salsa
Horseradish whipped potatoes and asparagus with carrots

Broiled fillet of grouper with with tomato herb sauce
Dill gnocchi and grilled zucchini

DESSERT

Eli's Caramel Chocolate Mousse cake

FEATURED WINES
Your flight attendant will inform you of today's selections.

Sparkling Wine
Bouvet non-vintage, Loire

White Wine
Burgundy St.-Veran, Bouchard Pere et Fils Chardonnay
Alsace 2001, Dopoff & Irion Pinot Blanc
Argyle Winery Willamette Valley 1999 Chardonnay
Buena Vista Winery California 2001 Sauvignon Blanc

Red Wine
Cotes-du-Rhone 1998 Parallele 45, Paul Jaboulet Aine Grenache
Robert Mondavi-Costal Central Coast 2000 Merlot
Hogue Washington 2000 Cabernet Merlot

We apologize if occasionally your choice is not available
2/03
Premium Transcon
</font>
My seatmate had the antipasto plate and the grouper along with both the Argyle and Buena Vista wines. Both looked good and were well presented but not much consumed so either they weren't as good as they looked or he wasn't hungry.

I let the FA know that I don't eat meat, mostly hoping to score a grouper entree. It turns out that they had boarded an extra Asian Vegetarian business class meal. It was served on a tray and the first course consisted of a mushroom and cooked carrot appetizer with soy sauce dressing (very tasty), a tiny salad, and a delicious fresh fruit plate with kiwi, grapes, and pineapple. Those dishes were then cleared and replaced with a plate of vegetable lo mein which was edible at best, followed by the cheesecake (cherry) for dessert.

The rest of the flight was uneventful. I finished my movie and read a little but it feels like it's much shorter than the transcon from BOS. We had hot (and I mean really hot) towel service and we were on the ground about 15 minutes ahead of schedule.

Finding a flight at LAX
So there I was at LAX with 4 hours or so before my scheduled flight and the place was a zoo. They were taking volunteers to fly out the next morning on both the OAK and SJC flights, and the SFO flight had 200+ people standing by for ~20 seats. Fortunately, most of those 200 were NRSA and the GA at LAX went above and beyond to get me a seat on the plane. I do believe that "waivers and favors" are not completely dead since she was able to change my destination from OAK to SFO (and from a UAX to a UA flight as well) which I'm not sure she was supposed to do. I wish UA gave out those "good job" stickers like AA used to but I got her name and number and UA WHQ will be receiving a letter shortly. The flight, on an ex-shuttle 737, left completely full with ~190 people still standing by. I got where I was headed in time to have a nice dinner with my parents and avoided a CRJ in the process, not too shabby.

Details of the return flight, presumably in Y, will follow if anyone is interested...
Old Feb 24, 2003, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Sounds like you got a good bunch of folks who enjoy their jobs and understand what is needed to keep UA flying.

Please post the cattle class portion.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

My travel karma held up well for the return leg of this trip. I was awakened at 5:30 on Friday morning by the sound of EasyUpdate telling me that the first leg of my planned SJC-xLAX-JFK return had been canceled. I called up United reservations and, after 15 minutes on hold, was able to reschedule SFO-JFK direct instead of the SJC-IAD that they wanted to put me on (good travel Karma strikes). EasyUpdate really saved my bacon because without it, I would have gone to SJC and missed out on the direct flight.

Since I was already awake, I checked out of the hotel and headed off to the airport to see if I could stand by on the earlier JFK flight. Returning my car at SFO, I noticed that the escalator up to the new train station was running. I boarded the train with two other passengers and one of the train construction engineers. Apparently, 2/23 was the first week of passenger service on these trains and the grand opening is sometime this week (good travel Karma strikes again). The trains run smoothly and seem much quicker than the busses but the real bonus of the train ride is the view. At various points along the route, you are high above the fences and have a sweeping perspective of the gates, aprons, and runways. You enter the international terminal area literally on top of the A gates. There were no aircraft parked there when I went past but it should afford close-up views of big planes when the gates are full. I was told that the busses will continue to run for a month or so to give everyone time to transition to the trains.

The elite United lines at SFO were long but moving; both first/1K and business/1P lines had over 20 people in them when I arrived. I was too late to stand by but I did manage to score exit row seating. With about an hour until I needed to board, I headed over to the USAir counters to make some ticketing changes. Between terminal 3 (UA) and terminal 1 (US) is, quite logically, terminal 2, which is closed for renovations. It's eerie to walk through such a large space which is so quiet. The visible extent of the work in the passenger areas is limited to a few ripped out doorways. The ticketing podiums (podia?) are still intact and their orange and beige color scheme looks like it came straight out of the 1970's, which it probably did. The decor reminded me of the movie "Airplane". The only fully renovated area seems to be the a functioning concession area in the middle of T2. I didn't take too close a look, but it has at least a Starbucks and was bustling with airport employees.

I was able to make the necessary ticketing changes with US. In fact, since the agent was not familiar with shuttle flights and gave up reading the fare rules after three or four screens, the usual change fee was not imposed (good travel Karma yet again); who am I to argue? I continued around through the international terminal back to the UA gates. At the end of the walkway between the international terminal and T3, I discovered a small security checkpoint with almost no line and gladly waltzed through (good travel Karma). When I passed the main checkpoint in the center of the terminal, it looked from the far side like there was quite a wait.

After all this, how could my flight go wrong? With Jamba Juice in hand, I boarded flight 14. It was not, as I expected, one of the tired 767-200s which usually fly this route but rather a three class international 767-300 with E+ and PTVs, a nice upgrade (travel Karma)! There was no ATC on channel 9 even though I asked the flight attendants to request it from the captain; this is the first time in I can't remember how long that ch. 9 remained off after such a request. I wonder what the pilots are worried about? The flight itself was much less exciting than my time in the airport. Even though the PTVs weren't showing any movies I wanted to see, my own IFE (my laptop's DVD player) was first rate. No Bose headphones this time but I can't say I really missed them.

In coach, there was a choice of omelette with sausage, French toast with bacon, or fruit plate. I had the fruit plate which consisted of tasty and fresh grapes, melon, and pineapple along with a cup of yoghurt and a square cake-like thing whose 3 cu. in. contained at least 30% of my fat allowance for the day; I passed on the cakey object. About 1 hour from landing, we also received the best snack pack I've gotten with dried fruit, chips and tasty salsa, crackers and cheese-like substance, and a cookie. All in all, quite a nice flight. I took a business class menu on the way out of the plane and will post it if anyone is interested.

We arrived at T8 about 10 minutes early and ended up in the very confined domestic baggage claim area mostly used by America West. Bags with priority tags (not mine) generally came off quickly and the rest followed at a good pace.

It was in New York that all my travel Karma came together. Due to the cancellation of my original flight I arrived 2 hours ahead of schedule. Along with the fee free US ticketing changes, this allowed me to skip a planned overnight in NYC and head straight for LGA and then home. The JFK-LGA bus ($11) took about 20 minutes to show up and about 45 minutes in transit. In the future, I think would try to find one or two other people making the same trip and share a cab with them.

The US shuttle flight, LGA to BOS was short and, it being Friday afternoon, everyone at my end of the plane was in good spirits. One of the FAs forgot to secure a cart which came crashing against the bulkhead during takeoff. Luckily, I saw what had happened otherwise I think I would have been quite nervous. I chatted with my neighbor the rest of the flight and before I knew it, I was home a day early!

Mike
Old Mar 4, 2003, 10:43 am
Original Member

OAK and SFO are usually co-terminals so you should be able to stand by for a flight to one when you are booked on the other.

Nice you got the seat in business class. It could be the last straw for the guy who should have got it, though, since the GA was too lazy to go on board and move him up.

QL

[This message has been edited by QuietLion (edited 03-04-2003).]
Old Mar 9, 2003, 5:58 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Nice report. I would be careful in writing letters about agents who waived rules for you, in the era we are in, they actually may be reprimanded for doing so. Instead, write a general letter about how well the agent handled the check in line, customers, etc. Indicate the agent(s) were friendly and professional, but again I would not point out any waivers in letters to carriers.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:44 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Thank you WhoMe for the UA report...even though I made the switch to AA - I still enjoy reading about UA and how they are still trying to be good...

Welcome to our FT world too.

Blessings.

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:23 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
a Great Report both ways. I agree with you completely about the Coach trans-con snack pack. I have had them several times SEA-JFK and always enjoy them. I must say, however, that the "cheese" is a bit creepy and I do wish they'd rotate the contents every once in a while, just to make things interesting. I have been afraid that with cost cuts they'd cut these necessary snacks on eastbound am transcons and am glad to hear that they still exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.