Search

CO Mieage run EWR-IAH-SEA-IAH-EWR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2003, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

CO Mieage run EWR-IAH-SEA-IAH-EWR

Trip Report: First trip on Continental in March 2003

Hi folks,

Here is another of Carfield’s trip report! I finally flew a real Continental’s flight and had my first experience with the EUA system. I was upgraded on all four segments. Three of them were confirmed within the five days’ limit and I received an email automatically. Then one of them was confirmed 24 hour prior to departure. I hope you will enjoy this report!

March 1, 2003
CO 411 EWR-IAH Lv1355 Arr1635
Boeing 767-200ER N68155
Well, I did not talk to any check in agent or indeed any ground agent, except during boarding. Also as an AE Platinum cardholder, I was able to access the President’s Club, and all agents were friendly, especially the one in Seattle. The PC at Seattle was pretty small, but was very cozy and personal. Anyway, back to the flight, I used the self-checking machine and immediately proceeded to the gate, C-136 this afternoon. The flight was pretty full and boarding was slightly delayed to 1:32pm due to the late arrival of crews.

The brand new Boeing 767-200ER featured the classic Business First seats with 55 inches of legroom and a five abreast seating. I have 1D, the bulkhead middle seat, which was very nice, except that people like to use the bathroom on the opposite side. During boarding, I understood that we wanted to get things done quickly, but it will be nice if people are more considerate during flight. One good thing is that regardless of the boarding time, a full pre-takeoff beverage service was offered in all four segments. Flying time was three hours and twenty minutes with a relatively low cruising attitude of 26,000ft, and we lowered to 20,000ft during the last hour of the flight and we hit some really rough air. One of the flight attendants got really sick and most passengers stayed on the seat during the last hour of the flight. As I noticed, CO passengers were not good in following the seat belt signs and the F/As did not enforce any seat belt signs rule, until it was really rough. Our flight route took us towards Knoxville, Huntsville, Columbus, and then lowering to 20,000ft, and headed towards Alexandria, LA, and then towards Houston, TX.

We pushed back at 2:07pm and headed towards R/W22R. We took off at 2:16pm and seat belt sign was off in eleven minutes. Beverage order was taken and hot towels were passed out soon. Beverage was first handed off with almonds. Then a snack was passed out. No choice… The snack was a basic cold plate with 2 shrimps, half a piece of chicken breast, a wedge of cheddar cheese, 2 cucumbers, beans salad, marinated carrots, and grapes, accompanied by a warmed wheat roll and a piece of Almond Delight as dessert. It is pretty nice, considered it is during non-meal hours. We got the personal TV system too, and the map function was played on the small TV monitors throughout the aircraft the whole flight. Nevertheless, after the tea/coffee service, all flight attendants disappeared behind the curtains and they were more interested in collecting, than refilling glasses. Similar to my next segment onto SEA, beverage service seems to be lacking big times. I begin to wonder if one of Gordon’s cost-cutting efforts is not to serve too much beverage.

After passing though some rough patches of air during the last hour of the flight, we began to descent at 4:59pm, and landed on Runway 9 at 4:36pm IAH time (IAH is an hour behind from NYC). We parked at gate C-14 shortly and as I noticed from the board, this flight continued into Amsterdam.

CO 1275 IAH-SEA Lv1735 Arr2015
Boeing 757-200 Domestic N12125
The new gate is all the way to the end of Concourse D – D11. A pretty impressive walk from C-14! Nevertheless, I got to walk through the international terminal, but unfortunately, most European flights depart from IAH around 4pm. I only got to see the second daily BA flight from IAH to LHR via IAD. G-YMMM, Boeing 777 with the Union Flag livery, is in charge of the flight today. Then I saw an AVIASCA, a Classic Boeing 737-200, (XA-ABC), arrived from Mexico. By the time I got to D11, the agent notified us that the flight was delayed slightly due to “custom.” I guess the aircraft arrived from an international destination, so it was necessary for the custom to clear the aircraft. At 5:17pm, boarding began and it was a very full flight, but F class had 4 empty seats, including the one next to me. The F cabin was the classic one. Once again, a full beverage service was offered and CO used the second door for boarding, which allowed service to take place efficiently up front. Door was closed at 5:51pm and the pilot apologized for the delay, but due to weaker head wind, we would make it onto SEA within four hours and right on time or even a bit earlier than expected. BTW, this flight continued into Anchorage. We pushed back at 5:56pm, and headed towards R/W26 for takeoff. We passed by a Southwest’s Boeing 737 (I don’t know Southwest operates from IAH?), United, and US Airways’s Boeing 737. We took off after a Comair’s CRJ with the 25th anniversary livery landed, at 6:08pm.

In-flight entertainment was a full-length movie, “The Truth about Charlie,” and Continental Visions, with “Sports Night” shown. It was pretty impressive especially American only shows its “CBS Eyes on American” and “Everybody Loves Raymond” on similar length flights. Now let moves on to my favorite subject, food. The dinner was cut back from a decent dinner to a dinner snack in first class. Beverage and almonds served cold on a ramekin cups were served first. To be honest, the almonds were no different from the one served on the last sector on a bag. Then dinner was a choice of a roasted turkey sandwich or a shrimp salad, accompanied by an Italian Wedding Soup.
The shrimp salad sounded impressive, but in reality, was a decent bowl of mixed green salad (chopped lettuce, two tomato wedges, and 2 lemon wedges) topped with four pretty small shrimps and chopped mozzarella cheese. There was no bread roll served, despite the presence of a square of butter. The salad dressing was Cabernet Sauvignon/Red wine dressing. What’s wrong with Continental? I guess this four-hour flight can used a nicer dinner… like the IAH-EWR flight on my following day. I wonder how CO plans its meal services. Anyway, an ice-cream sundae was served after dinner. That was better. Once again, the flight attendants disappeared from the cabin after dinner. There was no second beverage service. My thought that Continental has asked the F/A to cutback its beverage service is becoming obvious. Anyway, I continued to read a bit. We began our descent at 9:45pm, and landed on Runway 34R at 8:06pm, Seattle local time (SEA is two hours behind from IAH). We parked at gate B11 at 8:10pm.

March 2, 2003
CO 1107 SEA-IAD Lv0810 Arr1420
Boeing 757-200 ETOPS 752 N29129
What a surprise! As I booked this flight, I did not realize that it was using the Boeing 757-200 with the Businessfirst equipment. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the seating assignment after my upgrade was cleared. I used the self-serving check in machines and was managed to get 1D for my second segment onto EWR. I went to the PC and had some juice and bagel. I love the view from the PC – overlooking the runways of SEA. Typical morning flights – many AS & QX flights, with the occasional WN, UA, and almost all major US airlines. Boarding began at 7:41am and an America West’s A320 (N664AW) was proudly parked next to us. F class was almost full with one empty F seat. Door was closed at 8:07am. Of course, pre-takeoff beverage was served. Water and orange juice were first passed out, but the flight attendant was more than happy to get you some other thing. We pushed back two minutes later and headed to R/W16L shortly. We took off at 8:18pm and the America West’s A320 was following us next. Seattle was cloudy as usual and soon we reached 37,000ft. Thank goodness that the sky map is available this morning, so I am able to trace the routing of the flight. First we were off towards Boise, and then Logan (between Ogden and Salt Lake City), and then Halsenburg (near Colorado Spring), and then Borger, TX, and climbed higher to 41,000ft, and then began our descent near Cleburne.

The service was much better this morning. Maybe it was due to the smaller first cabin or the crews were more experienced. A two-course breakfast was served. Here is my description of the menu

To Begin
Fresh fruit plate (three cantaloupe slices, 3 melon cubes, 2 orange slices and a grapefruit slice, with a strawberry)
Accompanied by a choice of warmed biscuits or cinnamon rolls
The fruit plate was good and I tried both breads, which were good, although I felt guilty after consuming the cinnamon roll.

Entrée
Plain Omelet with Sausage, bacon, and home-fried potatoes
Pretty decent omelete and nice home-fries
Or
Cereal with milk and banana

In-flight entertainment was personal television system in the business-first cabin and for the coach cabin, “Far From Heaven” was shown. I slept a bit after breakfast. About an hour prior to arrival, warmed dark chocolate white chocolate chip cookies were served with your choice of milk or water. What a nice way to end the flight!

Descent soon began at 11:20am and then we landed on R/W9 at 1:53pm IAH local time (IAH is two hours ahead of SEA). We parked at gate C-22 and the flight was continuing onto Lima, Peru. I headed to the food court to buy a bowl of Chicken Gumbo soup, and then headed to the North PC. I had a glass of coke and proceeded to my readings. In terms of plane-spotting, I got to see most of the afternoon European flights, including KLM Asia’s Boeing 747-400Combi (PH-BFD), an AF’s Boeing 777-200ER, Lufthansa’s A340, and BA’s Boeing 777-200 (G-YMMF) for the nonstop flight LGW.

CO 210 IAH-EWR Lv1550 (1610) Arr2023
Boeing 767-200ER N73152
Our flight was delayed to 4:10pm due to ATC, but boarding began at 3:20pm. I boarded around 3:35pm and my coat was hung immediately, and a pre-takeoff beverage was served. The F/A even came with a refill after the pilot announced our further delay. We pushed back at 4:11pm, and then taxied to Runway 15L for takeoff. However, we were further put on hold for another fifteen minutes. During the taxing, I can’t help to notice a white United Shuttle livery Boeing 737 was parked in the terminal, which brought back bad memories – it must be heading to Denver. Be ware UA flyer on the IAH-DEN routes! We finally took off at 4:39pm.

Flying time was two hours and twenty-six minutes, due to strong tail wind. Here is our routing – IAH-Lufkin-370-Shreveport-Ruston-Greenville-Columbia-Hazard,LX-Williamson,LX-Charlottesville-Fredericksburg-350-300-Annapolis-Wilmington-PHL-Newark.

After my rather disappointing experience previous night, I am not expecting much this afternoon. To my surprise, a three-course dinner was served. Sometimes, I really don’t know how CO determines types of meals serve onboard. Maybe the IAH-EWR is mostly an international connecting flight, so a better meal has to be served. Here is my description of the dinner

To Begin
Beverage with a pack of honey roasted peanuts

Caesar Salad, accompanied by two tomato wedges and egg wedges

Choice of
Chicken Sandwich
Or
Meat & Cheese Lasagna with a tasty tomato sauce and a warmed rye roll
The Lasagna was really good and much more filling than the shrimp salad from previous evening.

Dessert
Chocolate cake layered with mousse, cream, and a nice chocolate icing.

The service was really good for a short flight, and each course was presented separately. A tea and coffee service was served afterwards. We began our descent on a clear night at NYC around 6:28pm. We touched down on R/W4R at 8:05pm (EWR is an hour ahead of IAH), and parked at Gate C132. The flight was going to Sao Paulo later that night. Due to weekend, Air Train to NY Penn Station was pretty sparsely scheduled. Since the train was scheduled at :09 and :14 at each hour after six, I had to wait for the 9:09pm train. Anyway, it was a decent set of flight. Hopefully, my next report will be more exciting. It is on America West and Frontier. Before that, I am doing a comparison between DL and US Shuttles.

Carfield
Old Mar 3, 2003, 5:04 pm
Suspended

I flew the same SEA-IAH route a day earlier than you! You were served on menu on that flight? I wasn't very happy with that breakfast. The portions were too small, and usually the meal is bigger than that.

I think the BF seats made up for it though.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Carfield:
The dinner was cut back from a decent dinner to a dinner snack in First Class.</font>
The American flying public has consistently indicated that their primary concern in Business and First Class is more space. Practically every survey ever taken has shown they rank inflight meal service at or near the bottom of their priorities.

As US carriers continue to struggle through difficult economic times, expect to see further cuts in the quantity and quality of your inflight meals.

If domestic airlines were to totally abandon First Class inflight meal service tomorrow, the resulting outcry in America would be no different from a postage stamp price hike. Initially, there'd be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Nightline might do a segment on it and an editorial or two might appear in the Times, Herald or Tribune. After about a week, some new episode of Baywatch or one of those Reality TV programs would distract us and we'd go on about our lives no worse for the wear. Spring comes, people marry and die, Pinkerton does not return...
Old Mar 3, 2003, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

NWgoldelite, what a coincident! I guess I have lowered my expectation after the really disapointing meals the evening before. I actually think CO has much better breakfast than AA and UA. Their breakfasts went downhill, and they were served in one single tray, unless in two courses. The bread basket in UA is slightly better with bagel, croissant or muffin, but CO's cinnamon roll is pretty filling. Continental's fruit plate is better than AA. UA used to be good, but with the latest Ch 11 filing, it went worst. AS seems to have the best fruit plate for now.

After flying this trip, I feel that Alaska is really doing a good job in its first class cabin.

Seat 2A... I agree and that is the trend... but if F class meals are gone, I really don't feel any reason to fight for all these upgrades, flew that much to maintain my elite status, and will gradually fly more often with Jetblue and Frontier and other low fare airlines. The space is no enough to keep me... The major US airlines will lose in the end. Do you agree?

Carfield
Old Mar 3, 2003, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Carfield~

When it comes to appreciation of inflight services and amenities, you and I are birds of a feather. While I feel it's unlikely the airlines would ever totally abandon meal service in First Class, especially on longer flights, I do feel that very few of today's American fliers would leave an airline because they weren't getting fed properly or enough. And - as long as the upgrades are free (or paid for by their companies) they'll keep trying to get up into First Class. After all, meal or no meal, it is more comfortable. If it were me and I had to pay for upgrades, like you I'd have little interest in flying up front. I've always had excellent success in getting those exit row seats!

Now then - if the airlines were to start messing with their loyal flyer's miles or ability to earn them such as US Airways and Delta did a few months ago, watch those fliers flee like "fans" from a Cincinnati Bengals game at halftime!

P.S. I wonder how those survey respondants feel about flying on Alaska Airlines? AS offers the worst seat pitch of any of the trans-con carriers and their meal service, while decent, is hardly of a traditional trans-con standard. No appetizers, only two entree selections, no pre-departure drink service, no hot towels, only a tiny portable DVD for IFE...

[This message has been edited by Seat 2A (edited 03-03-2003).]
Old Mar 3, 2003, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Seat2A wrote:
"only a tiny portable DVD for IFE..."
-----------------------------------------
CO and NW don't offer DVD players up front. What's wrong with DVD players anyway?

When I was talking about the food portions I wasn't complaining, I was comparing. Comparing mostly to NW and other carriers that I've flowen up front on.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 3:12 am

Carfield, don't you dare mention JetBlue, Frontier, or their no-frill (no thrill) brethren! Just remember, they don't give you Vipows, ever. Ouch!
Old Mar 5, 2003, 8:56 pm

Carfield,
As my upcoming trip report will show, I was amazed that a transcon LAX-EWR had no menus and the breakfast was a joke. The past year has seen a remarkable decline of inflight foods. I am abolutely amazed that American Airlines has decreased quality of food so much.......
Old Mar 8, 2003, 9:31 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Carfield:

We pushed back at 5:56pm, and headed towards R/W26 for takeoff. We passed by a Southwest’s Boeing 737 (I don’t know Southwest operates from IAH?)</font>
Southwest flies IAH to DAL. As a result, you can't fly IAH to a non-Wright state; you have to fly out of HOU. You can fly IAH-DAL-OKC, IAH-DAL-TUL, etc.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 5:49 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Nice report. Glad the breakfast service is at least still in tact. I am looking forward to your report comparing the US and DL shuttles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.