British Airways - EDI-LGW-ANU-GND-LGW-EDI - J Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card

EDI-LGW-ANU-GND-LGW-EDI – British Airways J Class

For our annual holiday my wife and I decided on a week in Antigua and a week in Grenada, both in the Caribbean. BA operates 777s to Antigua (which then fly on to either Grenada, Tobago or St Lucia depending upon the day of the week) with a two-cabin layout – six rows of Club World Cradle seats with the rest being World Traveller (now the standard 9 abreast rather than the ultra-cramped 10 abreast they used to operate).

10th Feb EDI-LGW 18.50 B737-400 – Seats 7A and 7B

When we got to the Executive Lounge we were told that due to a change of aircraft there would be no catering on the flight other than drinks. We were presented with a voucher each for £3.50 to buy some sandwiches from the restaurant.

Flight boarded and left on time and arrived in LGW on time. One drinks round from the cabin crew who spent most of their time explaining to the passengers why there was no food and how they should have been told at check in and given a voucher.

11th February LGW-ANU 10.40 B777-200 – Seats 1A and 1B

Having read so much recently about the “sick 777s” at LGW, I was quite concerned that we were going to have poor service and no IFE on the 9-hour flight to Antigua. In fact everything was fine.

The reconfigured “tourist” 777s looked quite smart with the whole of the front cabin now devoted to Club World using the old cradle seats. Having got used to the flat beds it was quite a pleasant surprise to be in the cradle seats again. I personally think that in the upright position they are more comfortable than the flat beds.

We were given our newspapers, Molton Brown Kits and pre-takeoff drink of either orange or water. One passenger had a heated debate with the cabin crew about why they would not serve Champagne.

Took off on time, menus handed out and no problem with the choice of food. Three drinks rounds before lunch, so I took a couple of Kir Royales before settling on the Anubis Baruda red wine.

The menu was as follows:

Starters

Loch Fyne Bradan Rost salmon pate with toasted brioche slice
Or
Roasted baby peppers with Mediterranean vegetables and oregano dressing

Fresh salad and vinaigrette

Main courses

Grilled fillet of beef, tarragon butter, wilted spinach, sautéed mushrooms and potatoes fondants
Or
King prawn korma, rice and coriander naan bread
Or
Four cheese ravioli, pesto cream, wilted baby spinach and buffalo Mozzarella cheese
Or
Main course salad of Cajun chicken, sweet tomato, coriander and red onion

Dessert

Apple and sultana pie and custard
Or
Fountains Gold Brie and Stilton Cheese

Fresh Fruit

Wines

Champagne - Charles Heidsieck Mis en Cave 1997

White

Valentin Bianchi Chardonnay 2000 (Argentina)
Meursault 2000, Cottin Freres

Red

Anubis Bonarda 2000 (Argentina)
Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Trerose 1999 (Italy)

I have actually had this exact same menu on a couple of other recent flights. The food was fine however, hot, and quite tasty. The crew were very attentive, especially with the drinks. Being sat in 1A I found that they filled our glasses on the way out of the galley and on the way back in.

Coffee and liquors followed we then settled down to watch the films. The IFE system was working fine with none of the problems we had been dreading.

Raided the larder a few times – I can’t resist Walker’s Chicken Flavour crisps.

About an hour out from Antigua they served afternoon tea as follows:

Poached salmon bridge roll and Brie with cranberry on wholemeal
Or
Egg and sun blushed tomato bridge roll and chicken Caesar on wholemeal

Warm fruit scones

Opera Gateau

Arrived in Antigua 45 minutes early and first off the plane into the blazing sunshine.

18th February ANU-GND 16.40 DASH 8-100 – Seats 5C and 5D

Due to some bizarre rule known only to the travel industry we had to travel from Antigua to Grenada on LIAT, the local Caribbean Airline. This was despite the fact that the BA half empty 777 leaves at the same time to make its short hop to Grenada. The Dash 8 takes two hours instead of 1 hour. But apparently BA Holidays cannot book seats on the BA flight even though that would make more sense.

Seat pitch on the Dash 8 was surprisingly good. In-flight catering was either orange juice or water and a packet of Tortilla Chips. Beer and Wine cost extra. We touched down in St Vincent for 5 minutes to pick up more passengers and arrived in Grenada on time.

25th February GND-LGW 19.30 B777-200 – Seats 1J and 1K

The first hour of the flight is the short hop back to Antigua, so when we boarded the CSD said that we they would not be starting the Club service until departure from Antigua. So we got our newspapers, but no pre-takeoff drink or amenity kits.

Once we had departed the crew then served either orange juice or water. They showed a half hour comedy programme on one of the video channels and then we arrived in Antigua.

We sat around for about an hour whilst the ground crew brought on the catering, the plane was refuelled, and the cabin crew changed over. Finally the passengers joining from Antigua started to board and we then got our pre-takeoff drinks, Molton Brown kits and dinner menus.

Once again the service was excellent and the IFE worked fine. The dinner menu was as follows:

Menu.

Starters

Marinated king prawns with asparagus
Or
Slow roasted tomato and heart of palm salad

Fresh salad with vinaigrette

Main Course

Grilled lamb cutlets, bean confit and grilled polenta
Or
Pan-seared breast of chicken, red wine reduction, roasted vegetables and rosemary potatoes
Or
Spinach and ricotta cheese cannelloni with tomato and basil sauce
Or
Main course salmon Nicoise salad

Dessert

Lemon and lime mouse
Or
British and Continental Cheese and biscuits

Fruit

Same wine list as outbound.

After dinner, and after watching a particularly spooky film called “The Ring” I reclined the seat and went to sleep. The next thing I knew was that the crew had nearly finished serving the continental breakfast, and that we were 45 minutes from LGW. Quickly grabbing the last couple of breakfasts we enjoyed the following menu:

Orange juice or energising fruit smoothie

Yoghurt with seasonal fruit and granola
Or
Corn flakes and milk

Mushroom and tomato toasted sandwich

Warm bread and croissants

Landed at LGW ahead of schedule and headed straight to the EC Lounge for a welcome shower accompanied by another handful of Molton Brown products.

26th February LGW-EDI 11.25 B737-400 – Seats 7A and 7B

This was a fairly standard shuttle flight. Left on time. The Ham and Cheese Deli-bag sandwich was literally thrown at us, followed by one hurried drinks round.

Overall the flights on this holiday were excellent and the service in Cradle Seat J was excellent. I know that they are going to upgrade the LGW 777s with NCW, and though I prefer the flat bed I guess it was good to experience the cradle seat for perhaps the last time.

Incidentally even though this isn’t a resort review forum, I cannot recommend Galley Bay in Antigua and La Source in Grenada highly enough.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:04 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Exciting report Edi-traveller...

Love to read about BA's superb J class service...

Blessings...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:41 am

Programs: BA gold UA MM
Great trip report. Where did you stay in Grenada? I was at La Source from 10 - 19 Feb. Flew back VS via Barbados (also with island hopper LIAT flight)
Louise
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Stayed at La Source.

Our third visit - I think it is just superb.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:18 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
Stayed at La Source.

Our third visit - I think it is just superb.
</font>
I'm was in LeSport in early February. Absolutley superb! Do you mind me asking how much BA charged for the CW supplement?

Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

It was about £1500 each for the upgrade.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 1:06 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Not too bad considering full fare is around £3000 or £2800 for D bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.