Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

South Pacific Odyssey - Airline Reviews only on AA, QF, NZ - First & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Pacific Odyssey - Airline Reviews only on AA, QF, NZ - First & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2003, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

For those who just want hard core airline reviews, here is an organized and streamline version of the South Pacific Odyssey, straight to the point.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AMERICAN AIRLINES REVIEW

July 22, 2002
AA 4837 from YUL to JFK
American Eagle Commuter Class
Depart: 3:05 PM Arrive: 4:30 PM (On time)

Getting to the Montreal Dorval airport just before 2PM and used the First/Business Class check-in at AA - got a very friendly female agent, very smooth process. AA doesn't have a lounge in Montreal b/c not enough flights to support an Admiral Club. I think they could still have a contract with another carrier who has a lounge there for their premium pax, but I guess AA isn't in the mood of spending. There weren't that many people but a commuter flight like this with a small Embraer Jet is almost always close to full capacity. Carry-on cannot be stored in the plane b/c space is too small, but AA has a luggage trolley waiting just outside the plane for you to store your carry-on and will be given back to you once you step off the plane on the arrival.

The flight was short, but pleasant even in coach because the F/A (Boston based crew) is noticeably friendly and polite. Snacks and drinks were served and for a short commuter flight at 3PM, this is largely sufficient. The pleasant attitude of the F/A made a huge difference in the overall service of this flight despite the equipment is not the most comfortable. Overall, I really enjoyed this commuter flight, it couldn't have been better. Sure seats are small but if there is no one besides you, you actually have a fairly wide seat for yourself.

July 22, 2002
AA 17 from JFK to SFO
American Airlines Transcontinental First Class
Depart: 5PM Arrive: 8:15 PM (On time)

After getting off the Eagle flight, there was barely enough time for me to get to the gate of my next flight. For some reasons, AA thinks 30 minutes is enough to go from Terminal 9 to 8 - I was literally running! The security check point in terminal 8 is tedious to say the least - again!? I just went through security in Montreal (which took a long 30 minutes)! But according to AA, the connection is legal and given the flight before would result in a long layover, I took my chances. I made to the gate in one piece, that's the good part. Everyone else has boarded already. As I approach the gate, the AA agent immediately knows who I am by calling: "Mr.'Guava', we are waiting for you!" I replied: "I just got off an Eagle flight, only 30 minutes to connect." The other friendly agent who took my boarding pass said: "You did fairly well then." I don't know how the AA agents were able to recognize me and I wasn't the last pax to come on board, wow, that's something.

Once on board, I quickly get to my seat: 2A The First Class cabin was about half full. We are using a B767-300 Jet so, the First Class cabin is equipped with Int'l First Seats (coffin style). The seats are fairly new, but a bit narrow and the seat pitch is just O.K, maybe because this is a 767-300, not a B747 or A343. Drinks were offered before departure. The purser is male. Though overall, the service was a bit lukewarm or indifferent. He told the First pax (including the one sitting besides me) that he has to pick up the DVD Player one hour before landing - but as you know, that was unnecessary because he doesn't need an hour to put back the DVDs. So of course he didn't pick it up an hour before but he keeps looking at us as though he is doing us a favor for allowing us to use it 'longer than it should be'. Some fruits, snacks and drinks and reading materials were placed just below the main screen (which has a small table space) after take-off, just like Int'l premium cabins. Then, of course, it was dinner time so let's have a look here:

The AA Transcontinental First Class features the American Gallery Collection. In the month of July, "Little River Bridge" by Artist William Stallings was on the cover the First Class menu. A very tasteful piece I found, I like it.

Appetizer

To Start

Warm mixed nuts and/or fresh vegetables and dip to accompany your preferred cocktail or beverage

Salmon Appetizer

Smoked salmon accompanied by capers, red onion and sour cream garnished with lemon wedges and served with toast points

The Salad Cart

Seasonal mixed greens with simple red wine vinaigrette or creamy garlic with dill dressing

Lobster tail and claw with lemon wedges

Roasted Vegetable Salad

Bread Basket

Assorted warm breads

Entrees

Filet Mignon
"Filet of Beef enhanced by a smothered onion demi-glace, served with roasted root vegetables and spinach garlic mashed potatoes"

Vegetable Sacchetti
"Vegetable Sacchetti enhanced by a tomato cream sauce, roasted chicken can be added to the entree upon request"

Chicken Caesar Salad
"Oven-roasted chicken served hot over romaine lettuce accompanied by a creamy Caesar dressing and parmesan cheese"

Memphis Barbecue Chicken
"Grilled chicken flavored by a Memphis barbecue marinade served over a bed of wild rice, complemented by a sweet dipping sauce"

The Dessert Cart

Fresh seasonal berries with pound cake and whipped cream

Vanilla ice cream with a choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal fruit toppings and fresh whipped cream

cordials

Prior to Arrival

Freshly baked cookies

WINES

Sparkling Wine

Domaine Chandon Napa Valley Brut

White Wines

Rusca Gavi di Gavi 2000

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Chardonnay 2001

Santa Rita Valle de Lontue Sauvignon Blanc 2001

Red Wines

Villa Mt. Eden 'Old Vines' California Zinfandel 1997

Chateau Los Boldos Requinoa Cabernet Sauvignon 2000

Rosemount Diamond Estate Bottled Shiraz 2000

Dessert Wine

Graham's Six Grapes Port NV

Beverages

Spirits, Beers, Brandy, Liqueurs and others

The menu doesn't look impressive when you read it but the truth is, AA manages to turn simple items into a very delicious meal. The salad cart, especially, is of very high quality. While the entree is relatively simple, I had the Memphis BBQ chicken, it was interesting - not just any BBQ dish. The desserts were all right. Overall, it’s a very pleasant meal. Delicious is the word to describe it. I have no particular comment about the wines. On arrival, I quickly got my luggage and head for the exit to go the Park Hyatt. It was almost 8:30 PM local time.

July 23, 2002
AA 1943 from SFO to LAX
American Airlines Domestic First Class ~ MD80
Depart: 7:15 PM Arrive:8:36 PM (On time)

Got to SFO airport about an hour before my 7:15 PM connecting flight to LAX on AA, the female check-in agent was again, very friendly and she really knows what she is doing. I wanted to change my Qantas flight to the earlier one (from QF 108 to QF 12) and she knew exactly what to do and also called QF for me. However, the computer just wouldn’t issue the QF boarding pass so I had to get it in LAX. Head straight through the security, no hassle, no lines and then to Admiral Club. I am flying domestic First Class but have no Admiral membership because I usually fly Star Alliance carriers but I told the agent that I am flying QF internationally today in First class and she had no problem whatsoever to let me in and she even gave me a drink coupon and marked QF on it. This is reminiscent of the old CP/AA relationship where we would also get complimentary drink coupons, how nice to be back to Oneworld (I have always preferred Oneworld over Star-Alliance). Used the internet in the lounge before heading to the gate. The agents were trying to get the First class pax ahead of the long queue, which was a nice touch. But can’t say much about the old MD 80 plane.

Other than the plane and seats are quite old, this is an uneventful flight. The FAs are rather lukewarm. Sure a short flight, but attitude can make a huge difference. Because this flight is under 2 hours, no meal service but some beverages and snacks. Listen to the audio program and look out at the sunset over California’s Pacific coast is interesting. When we are about to reach LAX, there was a sudden turbulence during our descent and for a few seconds, it felt as though we were in a free fall and one of the female F/A screamed as though she just got out of a nightmare…of course the pilots managed to keep the plane floating and landed quite smoothly actually. I found the experience funny like in a roller-coaster ride actually, it was fun!

Evaluation
Scheme

A+: Highest Standard of the Industry, near Perfection
A: Excellent Standard, among the industry leaders
A-: Very good quality as you would expect from this service class
B+: Good quality with more than satisfying performance level
B: Satisfying and consistent with the industry’s average
B-: Product needs improvement in order to offer a competitive product
C+: Product is below standard but some basic elements are present
C: Mediocre product or performance that needs serious improvements
C-: Poor product or performance
D: Very bad product or performance
E: Junk

Departure’s Ground Services (including check-in, limousine/airport transfers, concierge greetings, lounge facilities and any other value-added services) = 10% of Final Score

On-board Seat Comfort and Cabin (the cabin and toilet maintenance, cabin facilities such as a bar, decoration, general comfort, quality of the seat such as recline, pitch and width and etc.) = 20 % of Final Score

On-board Catering (main meals, snacks/beverages, wine list) = 25% of Final Score

On-board Service and amenities (service of flight attendants, amenities provided such as slippers, pyjamas, amenities gifts to be taken off plane, pillow, duvets, turndown services and etc.) = 20% of Final Score

On-board Business facilities and Entertainment systems (reading materials, noise-cancelling headsets, audio and video systems, fax, e-mail, telephones, laptop plugs, games and etc.) = 15% of Final Score

Arrival’s Ground Services (express line, limousine/airport transfers, concierge greetings, arrival lounge facilities and any other value-added services and etc.) = 10% of Final Score

Type of Service Evaluated: Transcontinental Premium Class within the U.S.

Depart: New York (JFK), NY at 5:00PM
Arrive: San Francisco (SFO), CA at 8:15PM
Duration: 6 hours and 15 minutes

Departure’s Ground Services (excluding lounges b/c not used): 75% (B)
On-board Seat Comfort and Cabin: 77% (B)
On-board Catering: 83% (A-)
On-board Service and amenities: 68% (C+)
On-board Business facilities and Entertainment systems: 79% (B+)
Arrival’s Ground Services: 75% (B)

Overall Rating: 76.60% (B)

Comments: The overall rating B is defined as: “Satisfying and consistent with the industry’s average” is representative of this flight. While the catering was of fairly high standard in terms of attention to details and quality of food, AA needs to improve the overall cabin comfort and its service level for premium pax on this route if it wants to be more competitive. This flight lasts more than 6 hours – the longest transcontinental flight across North America (excluding Alaska and Hawaii), yet there was no amenities provided to make the travellers’ experience more comfortable. Other than the noise cancelling headsets, the amenities on this flight were not much different to other class of services. In such a long flight, pax have to deal with the issue of dehydration and jet lag (from East Coast to West). Moisturizer for face or hands would be greatly appreciated or simply eye shades for those pax who would need a nap due to time differences. While pyjama would be unnecessary, other amenities such as toothbrush, soxes or slippers would enhance the experience so that pax don’t have to wear their shoes during the whole 6+ hours. AA is capable of friendly and efficient service without a doubt as has been demonstrated by the Eagle flight earlier. But, the JFK-SFO segment failed to display the normal courtesy and enthusiasm that is expected at this level of service. Might be just the fault of that individual – the purser alone – but at this level, you can’t afford making mistakes like this. Last but not least – you can always forget about those lukewarm smiles and go for the DVDs! There are over 20 choices in the catalogue and for a 6 hours flight, this is sufficient. If they could install video games with a personal monitor, then it would be better still
Old Jan 18, 2003, 2:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
That's a great report Guava...

I have switched over to AA from UA. Sounds like AA will be more to my liking - once I accrue more AA miles and am able to upgrade. :-)

I appreciated your extensive detail in your report too.

Happy & as always - Safe travels to you.

:-)

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye
Old Jan 18, 2003, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

QANTAS AIRWAYS INT’L FIRST/BUSINESS + DOMESTIC BUSINESS REVIEWS

July 23, 2002
QF 12 from LAX to SYD
Qantas Airways International First Class ~ B747-400
Depart: 10:30 PM Arrive: 6:10 AM +2 (On time)

AA and QF are not in the same terminal at LAX. I had to walk a bit to get to the Int’l terminal. Once there, head straight to the QF First check-in, handled by QF’s own crew. The first question was: “Are you flying First Class.” I am used to being asked this question as I am only 20 something and people had a hard time imaging a young man of this age to be flying premium class all the time (this later gave me some nuisances when I go back to Australia after visiting the Pacific Islands, but we’ll save that for later). But the agent was friendly and efficient nonetheless. She also gave me a First Class Lounge pass as the QF/BA lounge in LAX is now exclusively for First Class pax only and QF Platinum. Business and Oneworld Emerald, Sapphire and Qantas Club all go to somewhere else. QF had 4 flights that day, two to Sydney, one to Auckland and Melbourne each. But the QF First lounge is rather empty, with mostly the people for QF 12 that I can see of. I imagine the other flights must be rather empty in First. The lounge is spacious enough, had several choices of salads and cold meats. Several drinks stored in the fridge but don’t interest me much. The lounge was also well stocked of reading materials. While seating there, I notice a teenage girl, I say no more than 16 travelling with, I presume, her parents, sitting in the First lounge. The girl seemed curious to see me there for some reasons. I however, wasn’t very comfortable being watched so I deliberately picked up an Australian newspaper and read the financial section.

When it’s time to board, I was in the toilet so an agent already accompanied the pax in the lounge to the gate. So I walked there myself. But while I was waiting in the ‘zoo’, yes there were so many people that it was really a zoo and the First/Business queue was not discernable. So I just waited in the queue that looks like the premium pax queue but the agent working at the lounge spotted me and came over and wanted to bring me to the front. At first I declined as I told her I can wait in the queue no problem but she insists politely and said it’s her job to make sure I got on board and after that, her day is finished (implying there is no First pax on QF 108 an hour later), so I accepted. I didn’t feel very comfortable cutting through the lines with so many people watching and the agent is being quite loud in her greetings, so I quickly sneaked on board!

Once on board, a similar scenario occurred, the F/A was surprised to see me settling at seat 3A but first came over to ask for my drink order and discreetly checked my boarding pass while I turned aside. Even though I always dress up nicely (no suits, not on plane anyway) and usually look more mature than my real age, a lot of people are just not used to see young pax in First. No wonder, everyone else in the cabin except that teenage girl were like 40 and 50 year old and up and mostly couples only. Feel very much like a classic but old style like the 19th century if you allow me the expression. QF 12 is not allowed for award, it’s black-out year round in First/Business class with good reasons because 10 out of the 14 First Class seats are occupied. When asked the F/A if Krug is available, he said yes but not before they escape U.S. air space (just like fellow Flyertalker, AshleyF told me!). We were a bit late however due to some delayed luggage or simply too many people. But the take-off was smooth and swift as I watched the continent and lights drifting further and further away from me. At that point I can’t believe I am leaving home for 5 weeks, seemed so long… Soon after take-off, the menu was distributed, here is a look:

Qantas features Neil Perry of Sydney’s renowned Rockpool Restaurant and their menus have a distinct Australian flavour. The cover is grey-black with a small notation of First near right-center while inside, you find several pages of full page (a bit larger than 8 X 11 inches) image of food and Neil Perry himself overlooking the Opera House and Sydney Harbor.

SUPPER

Canapé

Foie Gras on Sourdough

Entrées

Gazpacho

Smoked Trout, Potato and Asparagus Salad with Herb Dressing

Main Courses

Beef Fillet with Butternut Squash and Mushroom Sauce

Marinated Lime Chicken with Roasted Corn Polenta and Black Bean Salsa

Sea Bass with Potato Gratin and Roast Tomato Tarragon Sauce

Vegetable Ragout with Parmesan and Pine Nuts

Green Leaf Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette comes as a separate course with the choices above

A selection of mustards and condiments is available

Cheese

Hand selected blue, soft and hard cheese served with accompaniments

Dessert

Pistachio and Honey Semifreddo

Fresh Fruit

Petits Fours

Dark Chocolate Semi Dried Figs

Biscotti

REFRESHMENT
Available throughout the flight

Cauliflower, Gruyere and Mustard Soup

Toasted Chicken, Capsicum and Roast Tomato Focaccia

Walnut and Chocolate Chip Biscuits

Fresh Whole Fruit

Ice Cream Tubs

BREAKFAST

Orange, Apple Juice

‘Sunraysia Liquid Fruit’ Pear or Mango juice

Berry Energiser Drink (dairy based, with honey, fresh fruit and yoghurt)

Fruit Salad

Birchermuseli

Granola

Cereal

Yoghurt and honey
Warm baker items with conserves

Scrambled Eggs

Roast Vine Ripened Tomatoes

Bacon

Sautéed Portobello Mushrooms

Smoked Salmon

Sausages

Potato cakes

BEVERAGES

Include a variety of Aperitifs, Spirits, Beers, Liqueurs, Cognac, Non Alcoholic, hot drinks, coffees, teas, hot chocolate and hot mocha…many many of them.

AUSTRALIAN VINTAGES

Champagne

Cuvee Diamant Bleu Vintage 1995 Reims, France

White Wines

Mount Plesant – 2000 Maurice O’Shea Chardonnay Hunter Valley, NSW

Wolf Blass – 2001 Gold Label Riesling Eden & Clare Valleys, South Australia

Tower Estate – 1999 Sauvignon Blanc Adelaide Hills, South Australia

Red Wines

Mitchelton – 1995 Print Shiraz Tasmania

Corton Grand Cru 1996 – La Grande Famille des Domaines Burgundy, France

Wynns – 1997 Coonawarra John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon Coonawarra, South Australia

The catering was just fine, for a late night supper, the portions were made lightly. While the food are certainly exclusive, for example, the Gazpacho soup I had is a cold fruits liquid soup, very interesting, I can’t help but notice some downgrade such as the canapé of Foie Gras never happened – it was replaced by some kind of cheese/mushroom thing. I had the Sea Bass, delicious, I was hungry anyway so anything goes well I guess. The pistachio semifreddo tart was again, exclusive and delicious. I only had the champagne, nothing else – no Krug, only the Diamant Bleu, which was fine. When I woke up during the night, I order the Cauliflower, Gruyere and Mustard Soup + the Chicken Focaccia, the soup was warm and very tasty while the Focaccia was good too. The breakfast is self-explanatory just by looking at the menu, very complete breakfast only if the F/A would be more generous in the portions. Had several mango juices, love them.

The Suite is just a bit less than 2 meters long. While it’s fully flat, I wouldn’t say it’s the most comfortable First Suite I have been to. This model is about 4 years old now, one of the first to come out. The pillow is not soft enough and the head-rest is a bit hard when flat. Most importantly, the seat is a bit narrow. I am not fat by any means, about average build but not athletic but I still find the seat to be narrow – you can’t fully rest both of your arms in the seat, not wide enough. They don’t have the turn-down services like some other airlines so no covers for your bed, just plain seat. Pyjamas were offered however and almost everyone in First changed into them prior to take-off. I try to avoid the head-rest by sleeping just below it and I found my feet touching the seat in front of me and I am not giant by any standard. For those of you who are 6 feet or 1.9 m and up, you might have trouble settling fully into the Suite. In this respect, UA’s Suite seemed more advanced and more comfortable. While the control of the seat is electronic with a large table in the seat, the personal monitor is quite small and old showing its age. I understand Qantas is upgrading its entertainment including larger and newer monitor: Qantas Total Entertainment – the flights to/from USA don’t have them yet. So no video games on board and had to deal with that small monitor but was O.K. There were over 50 films to choose from in the catalogue – enough to kill this 14 hours flight. For some reasons, no noise-cancelling headsets on this flight but they were available on my other QF First flights later. The amenity box is relatively simple: eye shade, soxes, razor, toothbrush, Care products (moisturizer and cream) – nothing impressive but practical.

The service overall is quite professional, very old style I found – a la 19th century. Maybe it’s just that particular F/A. The younger F/A is more casual but still quite tense, not smooth enough. Service is attentive but they don’t try to anticipate your needs like the Asian carriers nor do they express the same type of enthusiasm as some other carriers. The service is just fine, no complaints (except – please be more generous in your food portions next time!) On arrival, I quickly got my luggage with no hassle.

July 25, 2002
QF 728 from SYD to AYQ (Ayers Rock)
Qantas Airways Domestic Business Class ~ B737-800
Depart: 9:15 AM Arrive: 12:15 PM (On time)

I already had my boarding pass from the QF desk located near the courtesy transfer, so we took the terminal courtesy bus and quickly got into the Qantas domestic building. At the Club desk, we showed our Business Class boarding passes to a friendly female agent. She immediately had a hesitant expression and asked: “Do you have a Qantas Club card?” I replied: “I just got off a QF First Class flight from USA…here is my boarding pass.” Her expression suddenly changed from hesitant to happy: “It must be great to fly First Class!” The lounge is very spacious, well stocked with lots of breakfast items. Overall, it’s quite furnished, just like the last time I was there but this time it feels even more spacious and comfortable for some reasons. Only had time for a morning drink so we quickly left the lounge and thanked that friendly agent and went straight to gate.

The flight is absolutely packed in both Business and Economy due to a Japanese JTB tour group also on the flight. The flight is actually 3 hours and half b/c there is a half hour time interval between SYD and AYQ. Audio system is all we had as entertainment and the F/A served breakfast with two cooked eggs, some sausage and potatoes + pastries and simple breakfast stuff in Business. For us, it was more like a brunch. The noticeable thing is the F/A are quite friendly and will come to serve you throughout the flight, even after the meal service. . The seats on this new 737-800 plane is quite spacious 2 and 2 seating but the pitch is just O.K. Overall, nothing impressive about this domestic sector. I wll do a evaluation of all Qantas domestic sectors taken once I have talked about all the sectors.

July 29, 2002
QF 1948 from ASP (Alice Springs) to CNS (Cairns)
Qantas Airways Domestic Business Class ~ BA 146-300 (by National Jet System for Qantas)
Depart: 2:15 PM Arrive: 5:15 PM (On time)

Alice Springs actually has a Qantas Club, not a bad one. Apparently, it is due to the presence of a U.S. military base here. One of the attendant is actually a Maori-Kiwi working in Australia, how interesting. The Club had some juices, cookies and spacious seats + a Internet connected computer. Once on board the flight, two friendly F/A served the Business cabin. The seats are comfortable and spacious but this time, no entertainment system available but there are some reading materials. The flight is actually 2 hours and half but there is a lunch service so the flight seemed short. I remember the meal was a green leaf salad with dressing and the main course is lamb and potato, which was quite tasty actually. Chocolate was offered as dessert and of course, various drinks. My companion said the meal service is nice and better than Air Canada because on AC, instead of making things simple but nice, they try to make things elaborate but instead, created a mess that is not palatable. The service is quite attentive and friendly. Once in Cairns, the priority tags worked and our bags are out among the first.

August 03, 2002
QF 60 from CNS to BNE (Brisbane)
Qantas Airways International Business Class’ Domestic Sector ~ B767-300
Depart: 7:50 AM Arrive: 9:55 AM (On time)

This is our connecting flight to Auckland but we exited Australia from Cairns so this sector is really an International flight. The Qantas Club in Cairns used to have a First Class section but not anymore. Had some breakfast items and drinks and nuts, very average stuff. The seats are new but I must say I found the pitch to be a bit short compared to many other carriers’ Int’l Business cabin. The pitch needs to improve. Breakfast was served, pretty much like Sydney to Ayers Rock. Service was average, two male F/As who are no better than most F/As on American Airlines. Due to new seats, we got everything for entertainment but it’s such a short flight that I only watched airshow and spent most of time looking out the window to watch over the Great Barrier Reef. On arrival, since we already had our connecting boarding pass to Auckland, we head straight to the QF First Class lounge in Brisbane as we have a 3 hours layover.

August 03, 2002
QF 25 from BNE (Brisbane, AUS) to AKL (Auckland, NZL)
Depart: 12:50 PM Arrive: 5:45 PM (On time)

This is a very interesting segment and deserve a special name: "How about Flying British Airways First accross the Tasman"
Well, before getting to that, we spent some time in the QF First lounge in Brisbane, nothing to write home about other than it's a separate section with automatic sliding door adjacent to the Qantas Club. The food isn't that much superior, some cold cuts of meats and vegetables + some finger sandwiches. You would have expect more from a First Class lounge food wise. But it does have some comfortable shower facilities + one computer terminal and spacious seatings. Decoration is just like a regualr Qantas Club. By comparison, an Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge is better equipped in terms of entertainment and business functions (more complete business services including fax services to anywhere in the world, more computers) - I had to fight with a large woman for the computer in QF First lounge as she eats, reads and surfs all at the same time. It was a long wait as the schedule changed from an original depature at 11:25 AM to almost 1PM.

As we approached the gate, we first notice lots of 'Kiwis' around due to their accents (e.g. finishing a setence with the sound 'eh'). Then, my eyes immediately spoted something strange with the 'Kangaroo' parking right outside the gate - it's rather white-ish for a 'Red Rat'. My view was obstructed so could only saw the tail and parts of the body. I noted to my companion that this looked more like BA plane to me. Then, we were just about to board, I asked the gate agent if this plane is a BA plane, she assured me it's QF metal. Well, once on board, guess what, the First Class cabin looked 'odd' as I was expecting the QF First as per gate agent. It doesn't take long for me to find out what happened as the dedicated First Class Flight Attendant, Arturo, was standing right in the cabin ready to greet and welcome us. My question for him was regarding the plane - his reply, this is leased from BA, voila! I was right after all. Just a note, Arturo is a Hispano-Filipino, very interesting mix and speaks good Spanish and we conversed a little bit in Spanish just for the fun of it. He told me he used to fly the AKL-EZE (Buenos Aires) route in the past every week when QF still flew there, but not anymore. He is sad about what's happening in Argentina as he still has relatives there.

Drinks and snacks were offered prior to take-off. For Julia Roberts or Hollywood fans, you might be interested in reading the following. Julia Robers' ex-boyfriend, himself a Hollywood actor but I really can't recall his name but would recognize if see a picture, was also in the First cabin along with a female Super Model. They were the last to board but Arturo already informed us they were to be expected to come and form the only 4 pax in the First cabin today. I don't follow Hollywood that much so could be careless about any movie stars. I notice they try to keep it low key and we intentionally spread out to give them and us each more privacy - I think they may be more curious about us than us curious about them, how ironic (I guess it's b/c we know who they are already but not the other way around.) Anyway, for only 4 pax in First Class, we were served by 3 flight attendants, Arturo, one female F/A and another male F/A who is originally from Sweden. But 3 F/A for 4 pax ~ that's very personnalized service indeed. The BA equipment is slightly different, for one thing, the tape player seemed to be better designed or easier to use than QF. Other than that, I found the seat control is also easier on BA and overall, a bit more comfortable than pure QF metal. When I asked Arturo if he thinks QF or BA metal is better, well stupid question, of course he would said QF is better... Anyway, here is the lunch menu:

Main Courses

Beef Fillet with Stir Fried Asian Vegetables and Black Bean Chilli Sauce

Penne with Zucchini and Goats Cheese

Tuna and Rocket Salad with Roasted Capsicum Salsa

Salad

Green Leaf Salad with Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

Cheese

Blue, soft and others...hand selected by Will Studd, Maitre Fromager

Dessert

Mediterranean Orange Cake with Cardamom Crème Anglaise

Fresh Fruit

Petits Fours

Macadamia and Caramel Shortbread

'Kennedy & Wilson' Chocolates

You will notice there is no appetizer nor canape, this is because the flight is less than 3 hours and the flight will continue on to L.A. from AKL. Personally, I don't think this is a reason why to skip 2 courses despite the short time because this is nonetheless a First Class cabin. However, the Swedish-Australian F/A was smart in suggesting having the Tuna and Rocket Salad as an appetizer anyway and choose another main course as the real entrée (main dish) given that they have loaded plainty of food. For my companion, first time ever on First Class - so very impressed. To me though, service is excellent but catering is one level behind the Asian carriers. A similar flight between TPE and NRT on CX would yield a complete Japanese-Kaiseki style of meal with traditional porcelains and exquisite food. The foods aren't bad on this QF First flight, but definitely lack refinement for a First Class cabin regardless of the duration. Some of you have e-mailed me and said you are not impressed with the catering on QF First as described here so far, well, I guess you are right. But to QF's defense, the Trans-Tasman market might not be able to support a real 3 class service flight given the size of New Zealand economy wouldn't even ranked among the Top 4 provinces of Canada and you know intra-Canada flights are not easily sustainable in 2 class services, let alone 3 class of service.

August 27, 2002
From CHC (Christchurch, New Zealand) to AKL (Auckland, New Zealand)
Qantas New Zealand Domestic Business Class ~ B737-300

On my way back to Auckland, decided to fly Qantas instead of NZ just to see how QF served the NZ market. Qantas has a lounge in Christchurch with shower and computer facilities. The attendant was very friendly and I used the shower but the computer was out. Had some snacks before boarding as I was expecting a dinner onboard as per ITN. But to my surprise, there was no meal, only a plate of cheese and crackers. The FA apologized for the lack of meal and wanted to try to offer something else but I thanked them and kindly declined. It’s interesting to note the crew isn’t the regular Qantas staff – they are Kiwis based in Auckland so the service was more Kiwi than Aussie. Ironically, the plane were ex-Ansett planes that Qantas bought over. The seat pitch and width are comparable to Air New Zealand but service wise, not the same level. The FA are all Kiwi, but it seems Air NZ crew are better trained and more professional.

August 28, 2002
From AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) to SYD (Sydney, Australia)
Qantas International Business Class ~ B747-300

Originally planned to leave on the 12PM flight to get into Sydney earlier but changed it to the 5PM flight instead as I figured out that after a night with barely any sleep at all, I probably had a chance to miss my flight if it’s at 12PM so was wise to change it to 5PM. Qantas has their own International terminal in Auckland with a separate corner for First/Business Class check-in. It’s good that both NZ and QF offered Express-Out allowing you to by pass long queues at the immigration. The lounge had a separate First and Business Class section. Was able to use the First Class lounge even though my flight is on Business class but I must say, there is not much difference between the two. The First class section is more spacious, less crowded, a bit more food choices but everything else is largely the same.

Once on board, there were FA providing pre-flight drinks but right away a noticeable difference in service level was observed. The crew appeared more careless, uninterested and less energetic – a very obvious contrast for someone who just completed the Coral Route on Air New Zealand Business Class. Smile is barely present for one. It has been a while since I fly QF Int’l Business as I have been flying QF First lately so there is also the shock effect of a more crowded cabin and less personalized service. Seat wise, they are spacious enough, good recline and standard 55” of pitch. Once airborne, I quickly realized my entertainment system is broken so the FA suggested that I move upstairs as there are more space open up there which I complied. Dinner was then served and here is the menu:

ENTRÉE

Antipasto

MAIN COURSE

Chicken Korma with Biryani Rice

Marinated Lamb Loin with Pink Eye Potatoes, Roasted Capsicum, Zucchini, and Rosemary Jus

Salad of Smoked Salmon Fillet with Asparagus, cherry Tomatoes and Red Wine Vinaigrette

CHEESE

Seasonal Cheese, Dried Fruit and Water Crackers

DESSERT

Ice cream

PETIT FOUR

Chocolate

Champagne: Charles Heidsieck Mis En Cave 1997

The menu again featured Neil Perry and his Rockpool Restaurant in Sydney. Food for food, Qantas and Air New Zealand are pretty much on par with each other when it comes to Int’l Business Class. The difference however, is in the delivery not the product. For example, I found my salad doesn’t much dressing if at all on this flight so I asked a FA for additional dressing, while the male FA is still thinking about how to attend my need the female FA besides him quickly replied the dressing is already in the salad. Did that answer my need? You bet not, but that’s the type of carelessness you get on Qantas Business Int’l. Entertainment wise, it’s the usual personal video with several channels to choose from, mostly movies. But it’s not video on demand. There is no amenity kit distributed unlike on Air New Zealand for this flight.

August 30, 2002
QF 107 from Sydney (SYD), Australia to New York (JFK), NY. USA
Depart: 10:45 AM Arrive: 5:15 PM +2 (On time)

This is a 20.5 hours flight including a stop in Los Angeles back home. To some, it might be the ultimate Qantas First Class experience but I’ll tell you, no matter how good it is, you wouldn’t want to fly for so long.

After taking the high speed sub-way to reach the Int’l terminal of Sydney from the city, it wasn’t too difficult to find the Qantas First check-in area in the ‘zoo’ area of the airport. The Qantas international terminal looks really messy. There are dedicated areas for premium pax but not separated from the rest so you still feel like you are lost in a crowd. Other Flyertalkers have suggested the QF ground crew in Sydney are particularly bad even those who handle First Class check-in. I concur. While I did not have luggage or any major attitude problem from the agents, the service provided was definitely 2nd class at best, not professional at all. I remember Ansett Business had better staff than Qantas’ First class crew on the ground. The Qantas First Class lounge is new, it has a distinct bright and white décor and is very modern in design and stylish. Personally, it really suits my style and my aesthetic ideal. The attendants are again, nothing to write home about. The only times I received service from Qantas staff that I would call good or above is only by First Class onboard attendants or some [not all] Business class flights, far too little for a great airline known for superior service. I don’t remember if there was anything in particular worth writing from the QF First Class lounge in Sydney. While it’s a beautiful place, the food choice was basic in the morning. There are not much else, I didn’t thoroughly explore the environment but I think it’s a place that you can get bored pretty quickly if you got nothing to do but waiting.

Boarding was again a zoo but at least they try to maintain a priority order. Qantas made sure only premium pax and elite members are boarded first after people with young children or need assistance. Other economy pax who tried to board first were being denied. By the way, Qantas Boarding passes are very distinct from each other and Qantas is very strict in using the right boarding pass for the right class. As of 2002, First Class pax use a distinct blue upper corner boarding pass with a beautiful picture of the Great Barrier Reef with Qantas First Class clearly marked. Int’l Business class boarding pass has a distinct red upper corner with picture of Australian red sand desert, quite enjoyable to watch. Domestic Business class has a red bar on top with no picture. Economy class, I believe has a green bar on it but I am not sure because I didn’t fly this class. So it was pretty easy for the QF staff to pick up the premium pax from the crowd but I still don’t understand why they denied early boarding to that man and his daughter given his Oneworld Sapphire status.

We were experiencing some delays that day. Furthermore, in the First Class cabin, the air-conditioning kept dropping water into the cabin, literally raining on half of the cabin. The two male dedicated First Class FA were running around to correct the problem but assure us it will stop dropping once airborne. I had my single window seat but had to temporarily take refuge in the front. Nevertheless, the pre-flight formality was taken care or, drinks, amenities, menu and etc. Is it just coincidence but so far I have only seen one female FA ever on all those QF flights in First Class? And again, maybe just pure coincidence, there has been at least one gay male FA per First Class cabin, why? How do I know, just trust my words because I was there. This would seem to be an interesting ‘demographic study’. Just kidding… We were finally airborne after quite a wait. The Sydney view is still impressive.

The menu today is as follows:

Qantas and Neil Perry of Sydney’s renowned Rockpool Restaurant have worked together to provide menus reflecting the Spirit of Australia

LUNCH - Sydney ~ Los Angeles

Canapé

Tartlet of Smoked Chicken and Dill
Entrées

Cannellini, Leek and Pesto Soup

Tuna and Rocket Salad with Roasted Capsicum Salsa

Main Courses

Beef Fillet with Pea and Prosciutto Puree and Red Wine Jus

Snapper with Stir Fried Asian Vegetables and Black Bean Chilli Sauce

Herb and Spice Crusted Spatchcock with Mint Couscous and Coriander Yoghurt

Spinach, Pine Nut and Feta Cannelloni with Roast Tomato and Herb Ragu

Green Leaf Salad with Palm Sugar Vinaigrette comes as a separate course with the choices above

Cheese

Hand selected blue, soft and hard cheese selected by Will Studd, Maitre Fromager ‘Calendar Cheese Company’

Dessert

Mediterranean Orange Cake with Cardamom Crème Anglaise

Fresh Fruit

Petits Fours

Chocolate Crunch

‘Kennedy & Wilson’ Chocolates

REFRESHMENT
Available throughout the flight

Chicken, Noodle and Chinese Broccoli Soup

Caramelised Onion and Sage Quiche

Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

‘Bowan Island Bakery’ Berry and Coconut Cake

Pistachio and Almond Biscuits

Fresh Whole Fruit

Chocolate Coated Vanilla Ice Creams

BREAKFAST - Sydney ~ Los Angeles

Orange, Apple Juice
‘Sunraysia Liquid Fruit’ Pear or Mango juice
Guava and Apple Energiser Drink (dairy based, with honey, fresh fruit and yoghurt)
Fruit Salad
Birchermuseli
Toasted Muesli
Cereal
Yoghurt and honey

Warm baker items with conserves (‘Bowan Island Bakery’ Cheese muffin, Croissant, Toast)
Scrambled Eggs
Roast Vine Ripened Tomatoes
Bacon
Sautéed Field Mushrooms
Smoked Salmon
Sausages
Potato cakes

BEVERAGES
Include a variety of Aperitifs, Spirits, Beers, Liqueurs, Cognac, Non Alcoholic, hot drinks, coffees, teas, hot chocolate and hot mocha…many many of them.

AUSTRALIAN VINTAGES

Champagne

Cuvee Diamant Bleu Vintage 1995 Reims, France

White Wines
Mount Plesant – 2000 Maurice O’Shea Chardonnay ~ Hunter Valley, NSW
Orlando – 1999 Steingarten Riesling ~ Eden Valley, South Australia
Pipers Brook – 2001 Pinot Gris ~ Pipers Brook, Tasmania

Red Wines
Wynns – 1997 Coonawarra Estate Michael Shiraz ~ Coonawarra, South Australia
Gembrook Hill – 1998 Pinot Noir ~ Yarra Valley, Victoria
Moss Wood – 1999 Cabernet Sauvignon ~ Margaret River, Western Australia

Dessert Wine
Miranda – 1997 Botrytis Semillon ~ Riverina, New South Wales

Port
Para – Liqueur Port ~ Barossa Valley, South Australia

Yep, it’s long I know. So is the flight. The leek and pesto soup was excellent, it had a white-grey colour to it and I am a soup lover so it was just great. I had the Spatchcock for main course, always happy to try more unusual dishes. We actually have spatchcock [as a gourmet dish] once in a while but trying it on plane with different spices is a whole new experience. I think a First Class cabin should have exotic food like this, otherwise, what difference is there between First and Business? I am not the first one to recommend but the Steak Sandwich from the Refreshment à la Carte menu should not be missed if you have the chance to fly QF First. This is from someone who rarely eats Steak. I also had the chicken, noodle and Chinese broccoli soup as my ‘supper’ <- I call it a supper when it really is refreshment as per the menu but most pax got hungry 7~8 hours into the flight as it was dinner time in Sydney already so the FA, without asking, would come around to ask if you want a supper. They call it refreshment but since they got everything from appetizer to dessert type of food so you can basically create your own meal if you want. The problem is you barely had any space left for breakfast coming in just 3~4 hours after. It feels bad to be stuffed with food on a long flight.

The service on this flight is up to First Class standard. The funny thing is one FA at first is very tense, the other is like almost expressionless at times. But I notice most QF FAs are a bit tense, should I say, too polite around First class pax. I was buying a duty free onboard to get rid of my foreign changes and the in-charge is a lady from the back cabin. I notice when she speaks, she had the same ‘tension’ with slight nervosity as though she is speaking to a VIP. I wish that Qantas Business class FA have half of this carefulness of First Class FA. One thing though, QF FA no matter what just don’t seem to have the natural friendliness of NZ FA no matter which class you fly. I wonder if it’s because the older First Class pax expect to be treated so but for a younger generation like me, I find that at times, cumbersome.

Comfort wise, it’s still a flat bed but limited width make it almost impossible to sleep very comfortably. Number_6 suggested earlier that the arm rests can be dropped but I was surprised after spending like 40+ hours on that plane in both directions, I didn’t’ notice. Entertainment equipment is about the same, a 40+ videocassette library and a personal video screen with movies running continuously. My plane wasn’t equipped with the new IFE, so the screen is smaller. I remember suggesting QF to upgrade their IFE, at least they are doing it now. Sadly, their First Class product will become a rarity in the future but at least they still fly them to North America, I might be interested in travelling transcontinentally just on QF in connection to other Int’l destination instead of flying AA or UA. So to reiterate the comment I had before, the QF Suite isn’t as comfortable as the UA suite for instance, the design of UA is smarter and better controlled nevertheless, it’s fully reclined. If you are big and tall, QF Suite might be too small or too tight for you. Entertainment system will be upgraded to include AVOD so should be competitive with other airlines.

U.S. Transcontinental on Qantas First

Once landed in LAX, had to go through the U.S. immigration though technically Canadians enjoy the same benefits as American citizens in this regard with no extra paper to fill, the INS people on the ground are loud and rude and speak poor English [with heavy Spanish accent] and insist on chasing any non-Americans to the foreign visitor queue. As an unwritten rule, Canadians do use the same lane as Americans but somehow in LAX, since 9-11 I guess, they decide we are just as aliens as others. I had no problem using the lane for Americans as it has always been like that and the officer didn’t say a thing but it’s annoying the way other INS officers are basically yelling at pax as though they are kids. Qantas First Class lounge is closed during daytime so everyone used the Business class lounge. Half of the First Class pax from my flight in Sydney end up keep going to JFK and we pick up a young Rock start and his female companion from another arriving Qantas flight though. One of the FA, an apparent fan, asked for his signature. They changed the cabin crew in LAX. Well, this 2nd leg is served by one female and one male FA, I say a rare combo on Qantas. The Air Show map [interactive map showing the location of the plane on a map] was interesting to look at on this particular leg because we are on an Australian aircraft flying a U.S. Transcontinental to JFK, guess this would easily win the best U.S. Transcontinental premium cabin award.

So here is the menu for the 2nd leg:

2nd LUNCH - Los Angeles ~ New York

Canapé

Tartlet of Smoked Salmon and Horseradish

Entrées

Minestrone with Salsa Verde

Lime Marinated Prawn Salad with Spicy Caesar Dressing

Main Courses

Provençal Chicken with Thyme, Olives and Potato Gratin

Penne with Bacon, Leek and Mushroom Sauce

Toasted Panini with Roast Tomato, Fontina and Basil

Green Leaf Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette comes as a separate course with the choices above

Cheese

Hand selected blue, soft and hard cheese served with accompaniments

Dessert

Banana Bread with Maple Syrup Ricotta and Berries

Fresh Fruit

Petits Fours

Chocolates

Panforte

Suffice to say by this time, I have become like Zombie with little sleep since leaving Sydney, trying to fight jet lag but I lost I guess as during the meal service, I just wanted half of a glass wine yet I said: “half a bottle…” I guess I was still in Sydney time but the FA knew I meant a glass, not bottle. Can’t believe I had space for the banana bread but after that I lost conscious until we are just above New York. Unfortunately, QF does not have arrival lounge facilities. The BA crew in JFK said QF First can only use their lounge for departure only.

EVALUATION

Scheme

Departure’s Ground Services (including check-in, limousine/airport transfers, concierge greetings, lounge facilities and any other value-added services) = 7.5% of Final Score

On-board Seat Comfort and Cabin (the cabin and toilet maintenance, cabin facilities such as a bar, decoration, general comfort, quality of the seat such as recline, pitch and width and etc.) = 30 % of Final Score

On-board Catering (main meals, snacks/beverages, wine list) = 20% of Final Score

On-board Service and amenities (service of flight attendants, amenities provided such as slippers, pyjamas, amenities gifts to be taken off plane, pillow, duvets, turndown services and etc.) = 20% of Final Score

On-board Business facilities and Entertainment systems (reading materials, noise-cancelling headsets, audio and video systems, fax, e-mail, telephones, laptop plugs, games and etc.) = 15% of Final Score

Arrival’s Ground Services (express line, limousine/airport transfers, concierge greetings, arrival lounge facilities and any other value-added services and etc.) = 7.5% of Final Score

Type of Service Evaluated: International Long-Haul First Class

Depart: Los Angeles (LAX), CA at 10:30PM
Arrive: Sydney (SYD), Australia at 6:15PM
Duration: 14 hours and 40 minutes

Departure’s Ground Services: 80% (A-)
On-board Seat Comfort and Cabin: 75% (B)
On-board Catering: 83.5% (A-)
On-board Service and amenities: 80.5% (A-)
On-board Business facilities and Entertainment systems: 72.5% (B-)
Arrival’s Ground Services: 80% (A-)

Overall Rating: 78.175% (B+)

Comments: About 3 years ago, Skytrax survey ranked QF First product as being #1 in the world. I wouldn’t have disagreed with Skytrax if we are in 1999 but no, we are now in the 21st century. You would expect a higher score for a renown airline like Qantas but looking at the score given above, it’s not difficult to see the age of the equipment and seat is the main reason QF First is unable to get an A grade and above this time. Particularly when most airlines have developed more areas for their premium pax to socialize such as bar table facilities or in-flight business centers, all QF have is seats and small/crampy toilets. Pax don’t have much option but sit and watch movies and only movies using screens that are often older and smaller than some Business class products. While the upgrade is coming, in the meanwhile, the mark will reflect what is available between USA and Australia at this time. Omitting the noise-cancelling headsets is those small details that could make a difference – for first timers, they might just assume QF don’t offer those headsets. Some people have found QF First to be a bit open or not private enough, that was true – there was very little privacy as the screens between seats were non-existant, something you wouldn’t see on BA flights. Seat comfort, more advance communication and electronic facilities are crucial to make QF more competitive not just to Europe and Asia but don’t take North American clientele for granted because a damaged reputation is difficult to build back. Nonetheless, as the grade of B+ implies, this flight was more than satisfying.

Type of Service Evaluated: Qantas Australia Domestic Business Class

Itinerary: SYD-AYQ, ASP-CNS-BNE
Total Duration: About 8 hours of flying time

Departure’s Ground Services: 83% (A-)
On-board Seat Comfort and Cabin: 76% (B)
On-board Catering: 76.5% (B)
On-board Service and amenities: 81% (A-)
On-board Business facilities and Entertainment systems: 70% (B-)

Overall Rating: 77.325% (B)

Comments: The average of these 3 domestic sectors show one thing about Qantas: QF flights within Australia are pretty average against other nations’ domestic service. Consistent with Skytrax’s survey, QF’s on board entertainment is lacking and merits no more than 3 stars, in my case, a B-. In many countries where the strength of domestic Premium cabin is on the catering, QF domestic catering is still not worth the value of the money paid. While the ground service is noticeably good, the service in the air can be inconsistent, ranging from lukewarm to very good. Overall, flying QF Domestic Business is definitely not luxury in the air but given that it’s the only full-service carrier within Australia, QF might get away with it. On a positive note, QF offers pre-flight drinks and hot towels even in on domestic sectors, something that is well appreciated and hence reflect the high marks for services despite inconsistency.

Type of Service Evaluated: International Short/Medium-Haul First Class

Depart: Brisbane (BNE), Australia at 12:55PM
Arrive: Auckland (AKL), New Zealand at 5:55PM
Duration: 3 hours

Departure’s Ground Services: 72% (B-)
On-board Seat Comfort and Cabin: 85% (A)
On-board Catering: 76% (B)
On-board Service and amenities: 86% (A)
On-board Business facilities and Entertainment systems: 83.5% (A-)

Overall Rating: 80.925% (A-)

Comments: Finally, a A grade flight but please note that the category of this flight is short/medium - haul Int'l First Class, not exactly the same as the grading of some previous flights which were long-haul flights but similar to the grading of AA's Transcontinental First Class. An interesting note between the two is that while AA has better catering, QF has much better service and better product overall in terms of the seats and facilities. The weakest links are obviously catering and depature lounge services. Many carriers in the world offer much superior catering and lounge facilities for a First Class flight of similar length. However, QF's product is well balanced and given this plane is designed for long-haul First Class, when used for short-haul, the utility usually exceeds expectations.

Type of Service Evaluated: Qantas International Business Class

Itinerary: Auckland (AKL) – Sydney (SYD)
Total Duration: About 3 hours and 30 minutes of flying time

Departure’s Ground Services: 83% (A-)
On-board Seat Comfort and Cabin: 83% (A-)
On-board Catering: 81% (A-)
On-board Service and amenities: 74% (B)
On-board Business facilities and Entertainment systems: 80.5% (A-)

Overall Rating: 80.03% (A-)

Comment: Qantas offers great amenities to make the start of the journey easy and comfortable such as the Express-Out of NZ is well appreciated and as well as dedicated lounge facilities. Seat wise, the equipment is a bit old [the QF Dream Time seat] but still adequate for a flight of this length. While catering on international routes continue to be strong, service is nonetheless inconsistent at times. Certainly, in business class, one cannot expect the same personalized service as in First Class but lukewarm attitude is not expected either. The entertainment equipment is composed of the audio and video system [not on demand] which is adequate for a flight of this length but can be upgraded. An international flight should have some additional amenity such as products that help pax fighting dehydration in the air or catching up a sleep with eye shades and sox – this should be standard but not offered even though this flight is short. Overall, Qantas International Business still deserved an A grade but give or take the service level received due to the inconsistencies, QF Business experience may not always be of A standard.

Type of Service Evaluated: International Long-Haul First Class

Depart: Sydney (SYD), Australia at 10:45 AM
Arrive: New York (JFK), NY. USA at 5:15 PM
Duration: 20 hours and 30 minutes

Departure’s Ground Services: 76% (B)
On-board Seat Comfort and Cabin: 75% (B)
On-board Catering: 84% (A-)
On-board Service and amenities: 83% (A-)
On-board Business facilities and Entertainment systems: 72.5% (B-)
Arrival’s Ground Services: 78% (B+)

Overall Rating: 78.33% (B+)

Comments: Once the new IFE is introduced across the fleet, it should help QF elevate its standard quite a bit given the low score for the outdated equipment. The termination of a flight isn’t the end of service. Qantas is lacking in arrival services other than accurate luggage handling. If QF is to be competitive with BA for example or CX for the same matter, the arrival services can make a difference. I think I have been generous in giving a B+ for the arrival ground services here. As the departure service, until they correct the attitude problem of SYD staff, which apparently, QF is aware and is attempting to correct the problem, it will cast a black cloud over the greatness of this premium product. As for cabin comfort, I’ll reserve further judgement until when I had the chance to fly QF First cabin again in the near future. Creative cuisine continues to be a strength of QF First. I think this partnership with Neil Perry is working well and I’ll make I drop by the Rockpool restaurant next time I go to Sydney. Finally, in terms of service, may I suggest them to catch some Kiwis to teach them how to smile? A natural and sincere smile goes a long way in making the ambience comfortable for the pax and the QF FA don’t have it and even when they do, I wouldn’t call it natural. The amenities given are not very creative or especially renowned so this can still be enhanced. For a good service model, follow the Kiwi way is highly recommended.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AIR NEW ZEALAND INT’L + DOMESTIC BUSINESS CLASS REVIEWS

August 09, 2002
NZ 16 from AKL (Auckland, NZ) to PPT (Papeete, French Polynesia)
Air New Zealand International Business Class ~ B767-300
Scheduled Depart: 6:00 PM Arrive: 12:30 AM
Actual Depart: 12:30 AM

The check-in at AKL International terminal was smooth, was there before when my companion went home a few days ago. NZ staff at the Int'l Business/First area are super nice and courteous. Earlier, we had problems with some domestic tickets that we bought before coming to NZ. Due to ticketing errors in Vancouver by NZ, our tickets were never issued! But with the help of NZ Business class check-in staff, it was solved quickly. Note however, NZ domestic staff at the domestic terminal in AKL and as well as in other small airports throughout NZ offered a rather lukewarm to bad services with the exception of Koru Club staff. NZ domestic terminal in AKL is old and torn with rude agents, very surprised. International terminal is a different story, like flying two different airlines. I actually used the First Class check-in for my flight to Papeete b/c the Business Class line is busy, there is no First Class to Papeete unfortunately. Received an Express-Out of NZ pass from the First Class agent and quickly cleared the immigration and headed for the lounge.

The Int'l lounge is big, spacious and apperantly is run jointly with UA. Lots of sitting space, some selections of snacks and drinks as well as a few computer terminals with Internet. Overall, the facility is good by Int'l standard for Business pax, including shower facilities. I think they could eliminate some of the space and use it for more facilities such as a movie theatre, entertainment center or massage room or even a spa. When it's time to board, I made my way to the gate. We were boarded quickly. I notice the Business Class cabin is almost exclusively of French speaking pax or French from France/Polynesia. I have no problem with that, as French is one of my mother tongues even though I am Canadian. Anyway, we had a delay for 30 minutes then the captain announced we will on our way soon. As we get ready to leave the ground by moving around the runway, the Captain announced a problem with air condition. He apologized sincerly and said it's fine to go to Tahiti with one of the two A/C working but this flight will have to continue towards LAX, Los Angeles so they need both A/C. We returned to the terminal and waited another 1 hour and 30 minutes or so and every attempt to repair the A/C failed. The funny thing as we made our way back to the terminal, the com said: "Flight attendants, prepare for arrival." Most pax had a laugh about that. In the meanwhile, the French on board in Business class started to get impatient but NZ had an efficient crew and they took care of premium pax by constantly serving drink services and even come around to apologize to each Business pax.

Then, the Captain was so ashamed that he has abandonned repeating himself due to the delay, now about 3 hours from the original time of departure. Now, we are asked to deplane so everyone left the plane. Due to some confusion, some FA asked Business pax to go back to the Business Class lounge and wait there but it was beyond 9PM and the lounge has closed. NZ said they are calling catering to bring in sandwiches and drinks to pax but it never happened, only some juices were distributed about 1 hour after we deplaned. Naturally, you would expect angry pax - some fat, big Tahitian women who probably hasn't eat a thing since lunch just couldn't stand it anymore and took their angers to the poor NZ staff at the gate who got nobody else to help them as the terminal is virtually deserted by this time. To the credit of the NZ staff, they handled it well during a rather difficult time, manage to keep the smile even though it was somewhat forceful.

The one-time only experience happened next, due to the growing anger among hungry pax and NZ's inability to repair the plane, they have decided to fly in a new plane but it will take some time. Interestingly, I was just reading an article about NZ vs. QF where the paper said one of the edge of NZ is they have one of the world's best maintenance crew - now tonight's incident showed none of that. So the NZ agents asked us to reboard the old plane so that the dinner can be served on the original plane, while taxing on the ground at the terminal! Yes, we were served dinner while stationning outside the gate terminal - making the usual food in sky into a virtual 'Air New Zealand Restaurant. ' I'll post the menu another time. But they skip the Cheese service due to the lack of time as the crew claimed but the French weren't happy (don't ever stand between the French and their cheese!).

We boarded the new plane and quickly took off. Poor crew who were supposed to work only 6 hours are now working for 12 hours. As we went to sleep, I don't think the crew did. By the time we reach Tahiti, it was already morning as opposed to midnight. The crew served a morning coffee service and I saw their eyes were so tired, well, enough said.

Here is the menu for NZ 16 from Auckland to Papeete:

APPETISER

Bocconcini, pesto and tomato salad with kalamata olives

MAIN COURSE

New Zealand lamb casserole with gratinated potato bake and seasonal vegetables

Pan seared chicken supreme with chicken jus, new potatoes, parsnips with garlic and aspargaus

Salmon and spinach lasagne Baked layers of salmon, spinach and pasta on tomato basil sauce

DESSERT

Ice cream dessert selection of manuka honey and hokey pokey ice cream with spiced passion fruit syrup

Peach and pecan frangipane torte with praline anglaise sauce

CHEESE AND FRUIT

A selection of fine cheese and seasonal fruit

BEVERAGES

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea and hot chocolate

It has been a while and due to the awkward circumstances, I really don't remember much how good/bad the meal was. I mean we had the dinner while parking outside the gate, not in the air around midnight. One thing I remember is that the main course is still served using casserole style type of plating, not fine china or real plate - a sign of inferior product if you ask me. The dessert was probably the highlight of the flight - I love manuka honey, one more reason why I hate New Zealand is so far out of the way!

August 15, 2002
NZ 45 from PPT (Papeete, French Polynesia) to NAN (Nandi, Fiji) via Rarontonga (RAR), Cook Islands
Scheduled Depart: 3:50 AM
Arrive: 8:30 AM

Papeete Airport has strict regulations on check-in time that is if you arrive too early, you won't be able to check in. In part, this is because many airlines have no more than one flight a day, sometimes less. So beware of that. There is only one airline premium lounge and is run by Air New Zealand. NZ also have signed contracts with many other airlines such that these airlines' premium pax may also use the lounge. Because this is a NZ operated facility, Star-Alliance Gold have access as well even flying in economy.

I haven't slept all night due to the akward timing of this flight. No delay this time, the flight quickly took off. A hot sandwich was served on this 1 hour 30 minutes segment. It was a nice snack, the sandwich was big in portion and well made. What is very evident in the flight is how awake the Flight Attendants are - I guess they have adapted to the schedule and because this flight had no delay, the graciousness of NZ FAs are very clear. Their smiles are genuine, natural and warm. Everything was done with a lot of professionalism, attention to details and smile.

The plane landed in Rarontonga, Cook Islands. Everybody deplaned with a lot of pax staying here. NZ has a lounge here as well but no one is attending it. It's well stocked and basically open for anyone who wants to enter. I stayed outside to watch the sunrise over Cook Islands and spend time stargazing. Maybe I'll come back here for honeymoon. I boarded the plane again and the crew has changed. This is now a 3 hours flight to Fiji and a full breakfast was served. There is no menu for this flight so I don't remember what exactly was being served but I can say it was pretty decent breakfast service with maybe an omelette and the usual breakfast items such as sausage and breads. Again, the service level is very high - the FAs, all female, offered a very friendly service with a lot of attention to details. NZ trully excels in their service and after flying with them just confirms what everyone else has been saying. This is unmatched by most other carriers that I have flown before. There is a difference between one great flight due to some exceptional staff and an airline where the culture is such that the staff have a high minimum standard.

Catch some needed sleep on the flight. BTW, in every single segment, NZ offered a new pack of Business Class amenties offering some interesting lotion and travel products such as moisturizer and eye shades. That's very generous I think. Once the plane landed in Fiji, I head for the immigration and say "Bula" to Fiji, the islands which used to be inhabitated by the most fearful cannibals on the planet.

August 21, 2002
NZ 67 from NAN (Nandi, Fiji) to AKL (Auckland, New Zealand)
Scheduled Depart: 2:00 PM
Arrive: 6:00 PM

i managed to get to the airport just some 45 minutes before our flight is due to depart due to traffic. If I had any worry about losing my seat, it was not necessary – Air New Zealand is very good at protecting J pax, especially when you are also a Star Gold. No time for lounge, went straight pass the immigration to the gate and boarded the flight. Once onboard, there were pre-flight drinks. The cabins filled up very quickly, this flight was full. The J cabin today is literally filled by diplomatic members of the Commonwealth, just finished a meeting in Nandi.

The lunch had no menu because this flight is shorter than 2 hours. Nevertheless, it was a 4 course meal, appetizer, main meal, cheese and dessert. For a short flight, it was a excellent meal. I think the meal is actually better than from Auckland to Papeete. I think the main dish I ordered was something like NZ South Island Blue Cod. The purser then came along to greet NZ’s frequent flyers. We talked about how good the meal and service are on NZ, but the seats are tight and old. 6 seats per row for Business is too tight on a 767-300. Nevertheless, everything else is pretty good, including a personal video screen to watch several channels of movies. This flight felt very short and it concluded the International portion of Kiwi national carrier.

August 21, 2002
From AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) to CHC (Christchurch, New Zealand)
Air New Zealand Domestic Business Class ~ B737-300

The Koru Club Auckland is a lounge of very good standards for a small country like New Zealand. I have been here earlier when travelling wholly within the North Island before leaving for Tahiti so I know the lounge. What’s interesting to note is since my first time there, the lounge staff remembered my name already maybe because back then there was a delay and I had the chance to speak to them more than once. Nevertheless, it only showcased the strength of NZ in personalized service. This time around, it’s in the evening and the lounge is very crowded and there was even a queue at the entry. Getting impatient after 5 minutes of wait, I got my Star Gold card out, and show it to the attendant and just went straight in and the reaction of the attendant was a friendly welcome and acknowledgement [that he saw my credentials]. Had this been on an airline [which we shall not name here], I could be called back to the queue and asked to wait. In the evening, the Koru Club is stocked with light meals, salad, soup and many other goodies for you to choose. You could have a light dinner if you want, there are both hot and cold items. There are a couple of computers connected with Internet and more for to connect your own laptop. I had the chance to use the phone and other business facilities earlier and found it to be very reliable and easy to operate. There is also a shower and some well decorated seating areas. Not as spacious as some other lounges but I would go back there anytime.

The boarding was right outside of the lounge for some reasons, maybe because there are so few flights with Business class within NZ. Once on board, was quickly greeted by two very friendly female FA. The seat pitch is superior to most North American domestic First (2 class) or Business class seats and offered good recline and space as well. The J cabin is about half full whereas the economy is filled up with a rugby team of some kind. I said to myself, finally a NZ domestic flight with any reasonable sense of comfort as my latest experience with NZ domestic Link flights were on some very small, small planes where you can barely stand up.

A hot dinner was offered once airborne, it was some hot chicken dish with vegetables. I remembered that the meal, although simple, was very tasty like a quality meal from restaurant. It was in maybe 2 or 3 courses no more but a fine service for a domestic flight of 90 minutes. You will not get this standard of service for travel within North America for a flight of similar length. If I have any doubts about the friendliness of NZ flight attendants, by now, they are gone. Maybe they are specially trained, I don’t know but a simple domestic flight served by this female FA was particularly memorable: sincere smile, careful attitude, good choice of words when speaking, demonstrating a strong willingness to serve as far as anticipating your needs, present yet not intrusive. Once in a while on Air Canada, we would get a friendly FA like this but none come across as being so naturally friendly. It’s one thing when someone smiles from training but it’s another when it comes from your nature. I can’t stress enough how good services are onboard Air New Zealand, it’s truly one of their core competences.

On arrival in Christchurch, I quickly got my luggage and headed for the exit. Overall, this is what I would call a high standard domestic flight. On Air Canada, it’s easier to have better planes and equipment because AC flies their Int’l standard planes on transcontinentals of 4~5 hours. So you usually have a more complete meal service with several courses, better entertainment system and friendly + efficient attendants. However, apple against apple, a short-haul flight on a 737 on AC or any other North American carriers don’t come close to match NZ because:
1) Probably no meal at all
2) Occasionally, lousy if not invisible FA
3) Inferior seat pitch and width

EVALUATION

Scheme

Departure’s Ground Services (including check-in, limousine/airport transfers, concierge greetings, lounge facilities and any other value-added services) = 10% of Final Score

On-board Seat Comfort and Cabin (the cabin and toilet maintenance, cabin facilities such as a bar, decoration, general comfort, quality of the seat such as recline, pitch and width and etc.) = 20 % of Final Score

On-board Catering (main meals, snacks/beverages, wine list) = 25% of Final Score

Arrival’s Ground Services (express line, limousine/airport transfers, concierge greetings, arrival lounge facilities and any other value-added services and etc.) = 10% of Final Score

Type of Service Evaluated: International Short/Medium-Haul Business Class

Itinerary: AKL-PPT-RAR-NAN-AKL
Total Duration: About 13 hours of flying time

Departure’s Ground Services: 80% (A-)
On-board Seat Comfort and Cabin: 72% (B-)
On-board Catering: 82% (A-)
On-board Service and amenities: 88% (A)
On-board Business facilities and Entertainment systems: 83.5% (A-)
Overall Rating: 81.025% (A-)

Comments: Despite early misses when the horrible delay occurred in Auckland, it didn’t affect much of the rating here as accidents can happen and those are usually isolated incidents. Nevertheless, it did test the crisis management skills of the ground staff. The lounge facilities are well stocked and staffed, not just in Auckland in their home hub but throughout the South Pacific as well. But NZ’s awkward flight schedule such as a 3:55 AM flight could have been met with a more accommodating lounge schedule so that premium pax don’t have to wait in the uncomfortable environment of the airport at 1AM. Equipment wise, the cabin is old and outdated, the greatest weakness of this carrier. Tight seat and lack of adequate recline will make flying long-haul painful to bear. So no recommendation can be issued to fly NZ on anything longer than 6 hours if comfort is important. Hopefully this will change soon. Catering is adequate for the short-haul nature of these flights, usually with complete meal service even on short flights. Though the service is still using trays so it’s not as refined nor personalized as it could have been. Nor the use of casserole style of dishware through pre-packed meals a sign of high quality either. Nevertheless, the quality and quantity of the food for these relatively short flights are adequate. Service wise, the question is not whether NZ is good not but rather whether this airline is actually among the best in the world or not. It’s rare to see FA excel in servicing pax so completely and friendly. It’s very refreshing to receive such warm and sincere service even during crisis moment as on the Papeete flight. A well stocked and interesting amenity kit is distributed on every single Int’l flight is well noted. Air New Zealand is not extremely business oriented maybe because the tempo in this area of the world is slower as well but as a North American, maybe being more stressed, we would usually like to have business facilities available on flight if needed and NZ doesn’t provide that. Of course, you are flying between those islands, you probably wouldn’t need a fax machine but you never know. They can also upgrade the entertainment system to have video and audio on demand which is now the high standard of Int’l travel. On arrival, priority tags work well [unlike a major airline from Canada which we shall not name here] and the luggages are delivered quickly with no incidents. Staff are not specifically available to assist on connecting flights but personnel are usually visible and willing to help if asked.

Type of Service Evaluated: Air New Zealand Domestic Business Class

Itinerary: Auckland (AKL) – Christchurch (CHC)

Total Duration: About 90 minutes of flying time

Departure’s Ground Services: 85% (A)
On-board Seat Comfort and Cabin: 80% (A-)
On-board Catering: 84% (A-)
On-board Service and amenities: 86% (A)
On-board Business facilities and Entertainment systems: 78% (B+)

Overall Rating: 82.4% (A-)

Comments: Air New Zealand has what it takes to be the best carrier in the world. I continue to be impressed by this carrier, the Kiwi bird. What I mean is considering the small size of this country, around 3.8 million people only, that’s barely the size of a big city worldwide yet the service and amenities offered consistently surpassed what its size would normally suggest. For example, this small country is not vast enough to offer a long transcontinental allowing it to serve full meal service domestically yet despite this obstacle, the quality of meal served was of high standard and appropriate for the duration of the flight – achieving almost the maximum possible satisfaction from a traveler’s point of view. Anything more or less would probably be inadequate. Like the Kiwi bird, while small, is laying the biggest egg in the world per proportion to the body size of the bird. For a woman to give birth like a Kiwi bird laying a huge egg, the baby would have to weight 30 pounds at birth! If you compare this score and the one obtained by Qantas domestics, you will notice a significant difference.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 9:27 am

I cant imagine trip reports getting any better than this. Your intuitive reports have made me reevaluate long trips I have planned on QF!! ( SYD-JFK in May, 2003 ) Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Having now had a chance to more thoroughly peruse this report, (Which I quite enjoyed, by the way) I am curious on a couple of points...

As you say, it is rare for someone of your comparative youth to be flying in International First Class. What is your overall experience in First Class? That is to say, how much have you actually flown and on how many different airlines?

When you make these recommendations on service, are they based upon your personal experience with many other airlines OR are you studying in-flight service at the University?
Old Jan 30, 2003, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
What a wonderfully thorough, informative and entertaining trip report! Thank you.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Seat 2A:
Having now had a chance to more thoroughly peruse this report, (Which I quite enjoyed, by the way) I am curious on a couple of points...

As you say, it is rare for someone of your comparative youth to be flying in International First Class. What is your overall experience in First Class? That is to say, how much have you actually flown and on how many different airlines?

When you make these recommendations on service, are they based upon your personal experience with many other airlines OR are you studying in-flight service at the University?
</font>
I apologize for this very late response. This is not my most frequented forum and if you have a question, it's usually better to e-mail me.

How many carriers have I flown - many, let's just say enough for me to compare between different styles. If you want to put a number to it, I say 6, maybe 7 in First Class. Some of it however dated back to when I was teenager/kid travelling with my parents so the experience was very different when you are an adult. Business Class, too many to be counted... More than 12~15 airlines for sure. I am an Air Canada Super Elite, the equivalent of 1K with UA so it gives you an idea how much I fly.

My evaluation is based on my personal experiences, from the system that I create using my knowledge and experience + common sense. It's a system that I create myself, has nothing to do with any academic work - not my field anyway. Though, I must say back to the days when I was in University, flying was a topic that I used quite often. Unfortunately, nobody seemed to be able to match my level of knowledge to have a trully interesting discussion back then. Some professors were great but they barely fly and talking to them is like talking to a book that talks.

Old Mar 4, 2003, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Ah - I suspected as much. Well, here's wishing you further experience in First Class and I will certainly look forward to your next adventure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.