Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore to New Orleans and Montreal on UA and AA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2003, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Singapore to New Orleans and Montreal on UA and AA

We’re off to New Orleans, to spend a week pre Mardi Gras. This is a week of parades (several a day), throws and general fun!

We booked back in January at American Airlines in Singapore, and the first leg, the AA codeshare with JAL to Narita, was already full in AA, so we opted for United.

We didn’t try to upgrade from Y to C, but we got E+ seating with no problem. We were up early, and made it to Changi around 6:15am. After a quick visit to the lounge we boarded United’s 747-400 service to Tokyo. Seats 40B and C had plenty of legroom, but no individual IFE. We took off on time at 7:30, after a warm and friendly welcome from the cockpit. Channel 9 was on, and I listened to the Singapore controllers direct us on our way,

The FAs were young, smiling, Japanese and Japanese-American ladies. No “prison-matrons” to be seen! The breakfast offering was a choice of French Toast with chicken sausage or noodles with chicken and shrimp. MariefromMontreal declared the toast to be soggy, but I had the noodles, which were actually delicious.

I read, and listened to Ch 9 as extensive, routine, communications with Manila occurred mid-flight, then handing off to Narita control. About 90 minutes out of NRT, a tuna sandwich plus M&Ms was offered, and we made a slightly early arrival. Again, the Captains comments prior to descent were very friendly, with a number of “we thank you for your business”.

This was actually a very enjoyable flight, made so by the friendliness of the entire crew.

In Narita we headed straight for the Admirals Club, but after check-in and handover of my VIPOWs, we were asked to head for the adjacent BA lounge, since the AC was crowded.

This lounge looked quite new with plenty of armchairs, a sofa or two, and excellent airport viewing from the broad expanse of windows. There was a decent drink selection, but very little food (chips and nuts only). MariefromMontreal snagged a nice leather sofa for a lie down nap while I read from the good variety of British newspapers.

The time for boarding soon rolled around, and we headed for AA 154, 777 service to ORD. We had pre-reserved aisle and window bulkhead seats 9H and 9J, which proved to be a good choice. The crew on this flight was quite senior, but again I was pleased to see smiles accompanying the welcomes.

We took off on time, and the drink cart soon arrived, followed by dinner.

Here’s the Dinner Menu:

- Warm roasted nuts
- Selection of Sushi
- Selection of Salad Greens
- Bread Basket

- Filet Mignon with an onion demi-glace, sautéed yellow bell peppers, zucchini,
Roma tomatoes and Scallions and a Parmesan Potato Diamond

- Grilled Chicken with Chive Mashed Potatoes, Tomato and Crispy Bacon

- Grilled Shrimp and Creole Couscous, with Yellow and Red Bell Peppers,
Zucchini and a Scallion and Apple Coulis

- Fresh Fruit Medley
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake

There was also an extensive Japanese Dinner Menu.

There’s been a lot of discussion about cutbacks on American, and maybe the Western menu features cheaper ingredients than before, but our choices of Grilled Chicken and Grilled Shrimp were both of acceptable portion size, and were both delicious.

The wine list featured American red and white wines from California and Oregon, as well as Heidsieck Monopole Champagne.

I managed a good sleep on this flight, and woke about two hours out of Chicago. The Breakfast menu was then offered:

- Fresh Seasonal Fruit
- Cheese Omelet, Canadian Bacon and Potato Wedges
- Or, Cereal and Yogurt
- Croissants, hot Cinnamon Rolls and Crusty French Rolls

The Omelet was the best I’ve had on a plane, and as good as I can make at home; the bacon and potatoes were also excellent.

Again, a basic menu, but very well prepared and presented.

The FAs maintained their excellent and friendly service throughout the flight.

We made a slightly early arrival in Chicago, and headed for the AC, to ask directions to the Flagship Lounge. We headed down to K19, and entered this rather crowded lounge. Apparently the ORD – NRT service, scheduled for 11am, had suffered a mechanical, and was delayed to around 5pm.

We found a couple of seats, and inspected the extensive range of drinks, hot snacks and sushi, and fresh fruit, including raspberries, blackberries, as well as a hot chocolate dipping sauce.

I was able to make a Negroni (equal parts gin, Campari and sweet vermouth), and MfromM had champagne (Piper Heidsieck).

The hot snacks were Polish sausage chunks, bacon-wrapped scallops, chicken satay and spring rolls.

We had a three hour layover before our flight to MSY, and the FL was a very nice place to wait!

Our M80 flight down to New Orleans was routine. Just 3 FAs serviced this fairly full flight. The meal “choice” was Filet Mignon or Chicken Parmigiana, but because we were in row 4 on this odd-numbered flight, my choice was restricted to the chicken. That turned out to be good, since the Filet was tough and basically inedible!

We made it through some bumps and lightning close to MSY, but landed shortly after 9:00pm. We found a taxi, and were soon at our hotel in the French Quarter, just 30 hours or so since leaving our place in SIN.

More to come...
Old Feb 23, 2003, 10:30 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Refreshing trip report VanMan...

Thanks for your contribution to Trip Reports.

I guess UA international has been okay for alot of travellers lately. I think it's the domestic flights where a considerable service standard is noticeable.

Blessings...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Feb 24, 2003, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA,DL,UA,US
Very nice report VanMan. Sounds like you enjoyed the oneworld experience.

Is the Flagship Lounge in ORD roomy? What are the pros/cons of the lounge. Better than UA's in ORD?
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
This was my first visit to the Flagship Lounge in ORD, and I don't know any other lounge there, except NW's.

The FL was quite large, but was fairly full when I visited due to the delayed NRT flight. I thought the range of snacks and self-serve drinks to be exceptionally good, and certainly world-class. However, if you're looking for internet access, you will probably be disappointed.

Also, there was very limited reading material - just the WSJ and the Chicago papers (plus, of course, the AA magazines).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.