Wiki Posts
Search

ATL-SJD: DL Business Class and the Meliá Cabo Real

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2003, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold & Avis First
ATL-SJD: DL Business Class and the Meliá Cabo Real

This trip report is a little different from the norm b/c its from the prespective of an airline employee; nonetheless, I wanted to share my trip. Also, its a little long, I tend to ramble.

Sunday, Feb 16, 2003
I'm off for 4 days...where should I go? I'm bummed b/c an interview I had the prior Monday (w/ a Delta Marketing Research position) didn't conclude with me getting the job, and many of my friends at work are having to txfr to the ramp to keep their jobs (the CRC bar is going to a contact company), so needless to say I need to get away.

When checking the loads I see that many destinations are full b/c of the President's Day Holiday and b/c of the NE winter wx, so its between Madrid, Spain or Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Big difference huh? The MAD flt was wide o-p-e-n in J, so I'd go just for the flt. The wx there was only reaching the 40s in the day, so I decided sun and sand were better suited to lift my spirits.

I spent a w-h-i-l-e online looking through sites and search engines for a cheap rate and finally decided to go with Priceline. Most of the resorts were coming up min. $150/night and eventhough I had gotten my tax refund last Friday, I didn't want to spend it all on the room.

Thanks to FT, I'm Hilton Gold, and their new property looked appealing, but again the price was like $162/night. So I took a chance w/ Priceline.

To my surprise, I submitted a bid for $85/night and got the Meliá Cabo Real which is right next door to the Hilton; they actually share an entrance.

Monday, Feb 17, 2003
After all the reading on FT and eOpinions etc, I decide instead of paying $50 RT for a cab, that I'd just rent a car. Hey, I'm 24 and bold, and it'll be fun right? Well, I went to Avis and plugged in my Delta Corporate Wizard No. and got a Ford Ikon for two days for $89USD. I thought that'd be OK (as long as it had cold A/C- which it did), and I could drive around at my liesure if I wanted to. I literally print the confirmation as I'm walking out the door for the airport.

DL 745 ATL-SJD B737-800, Ship 3705
The plane had the 1997 paint job, and interior was OK. The flight left w/ 2 seats in C empty and about 50 in Y empty too. I got 1B, w/ 1A open. We pushed back on-time, and for once in my life we were #1 for take-off, so we were in the air very quickly. Also, the ground crew as well as the in-flt crew made sure to mention the codeshare w/ SkyTeam partner AM. Every PA announcement was very professional and thorough.

Flying time was a little under 4 hours and I was on my way. According to Sky Magazine the in-flight movie was going to be The Banger Sisters. I hadn't seen it, so I thought I'd watch it. They did have the correct tape for the flt, so I watched it. It wasn't half bad. As for the menu:

Salad:
Romaine Lettuce w/ julienned dried Apricots, dried Cherries & totasted Almond Slices, offered w/ Parmesan Peppercorn Dressing

Assorted Breads and Butter

Entrees:

A Choice between:
Tender Filet Mignon w/ Ancho Chile Sauce, accompanied by roasted Gold and Sweet Potatoes, Zucchini Coins and Roma Tomatoes

or

Grilled Breast of Chicken complemented by roasted Tomato Sauce, served w/ creamy Polenta and an Eggplant, Zucchini and Red Bell Pepper Medley

Dessert:
Bourbon Pecan Pie

I chose the chicken dish. Drink orders were taken and linen was placed on the tray tables. The f/a even served bags of snack mix too. The tray was served w/ the salad to start. A basket of bread was offered with 2 choices. After everyone was finished w/ the salad, the main dishes were distibuted. The chicken portion was small (or at least to me (a 6'1", 165# 24 y/o guy)- my mother would of been full) but it was good, not dry. The "creamy Polenta" was strange. I guess b/c it was my first time eating it, but it was a cube of strange corn bread type stuff. I ate it, but it wasn't a fav or mine. I finished lunch and had a couple more rum & diet cokes w/ lime and watched the movie.

We arrive @ SJD a few minutes ahead of schedule. We deplaned onto the ramp via stairs at both doors. I was sure to be the first one off to get through Customs etc. I followed the uniformed DL agt and was cleared through both processes in under 3 mins.

I walked outside and pushed my way through all the taxi guys and found the Avis van. Their building was off-site, but it took no less than a few mins to get there.

I got the car and started driving to the resort. I've heard stories, or seen movies where driving in Mexico is a big ordeal, but this wasn't. The main road Hwy 1 or something was a 4 lane divided highway. It was like a highway at home. Within 25 mins I was at the resort.

I was given a third floor partial ocean view room. Check-in was quick and the bellman took me to my room. It was a large property and on the way he explained the property etc. From landing, to getting in the pool, it was about an hour and 15 mins.

The place was great, very bright modern rooms and all marble bathrooms. Room service prices were standard hotel higher than normal rates (and included tax) and they added a 10% service chrg, which I assume served as the tip.

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003

I wake up and drive into town. I parked on the street near a new mall and checked it out. There was a Johnny Rockets, Ruth Steakhouse and other local stores. I walked down to the Hard Rock Cafe and just took in the sights and people-watched. You could buy silver anything almost anywhere, but that's not really my cup of tea. I just got a Hard Rock guitar pin for my mother and a shot glass for my sister-in-law (they both collect these items, and I somehow remember this where ever I may be in the world).

Back to the hotel and more sun to be had. Something about just doing nothing and listening to your cd player and drinking a mixed drink- makes you forget about all the stress back home. Most of the people there were older couples and a few newly weds. I guess young twenty somethings don't get to jet off to resorts in Cabo whenever they like unless they work for an airline and just got their tax refund.

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003
Last day here. 3 days/2 nights isn't enough. I go buy a disposable camera (I burn my own mp3s, yet still don't own a digital camera) so I gather some shots of the sea and the property and take a drive to get some scenic shots too.

I get changed into non-rev business attire (slacks/dress shoes and a nice shirt) and check-out and drive back towards the airport. BTW, the final bill was lower than I had expected- I thought the room service charges were higher on the individual receipts- but oh well. Oh, and I wasn't given copies each time I ordered something either, but 3 full meals and some drinks at the pool bar came only to @ $60USD, so I was happy.

I wasn't going to get gas, but it was hovering just under full, so I decided not to chance a surcharge. There was a modern gas station near the Avis site, so I pulled in there. The shop attendants fill it up for you, and I was in and out in no time and it was like $4USD. I drove 120km, so I assumed that was probably close to correct.

Returned the car, dropped off at the airport and proceeded to the DL counter. I got the counter at 12N for the 2:15p flt (as instructed by the DL agt on Monday's arrival). They hand inspected my bag then I got my seat request card and went upstairs. I went through x-ray and they wanted to hand search my bag again. OK- they did, and my cd player I guess looked suspicious. A few moments later I was on my way.

The airport is modern and clean and looked as any other airport in the U.S. The bathrooms were nicer than some U.S. bathrooms. Oh, I grabed some alcohol from the Duty Free shop before going upstairs too. The Bacardi was cheaper there than at the Duty Free near the departure gate, but the vodka was more expensive at the lower level one- go figure! You may want to price compare before making your final purchase.

There are two gates in the terminal. #1 was for an Alaska flt to SFO, and #2 was for DL 202, and for SkyService's charter flt to YYC.

The YYC pax were all lined up waiting to board and I hear them announcing stdby pax to come to the gate for the DL flt. I wasn't expecting to get buiness b/c there were (at last check on Monday) 12 seats out of 16 open in C and like 70 in Y; even w/ my 6 yrs w/ DL, I was #19 out of 22 of the non-revs. I had some vacation passes left (we get X number of S2s to use in addition to our unlimited S3s) so it paid off. She called my name, I got through the crowd, and 3A was my seat!

They started boarding the charter to YYC and by the time we were ready, they were clear of the area. It was funny they paged the DL crew 4 times before they came back to the gate. They were caught up in the line at Duty Free.

At 1:50p we started boarding. You walk down a two level ramp behind the gate podium and onto the ramp where TSA-like people watch you to make sure you walk straight to your plane. I'm #2 to get on, and as luck would have it, the #1 person is in 3B, so that was funny. He was a nice older guy (a FC) and conversation was kept to a minimum (I think my newly grown beard throws people to think I'm not nice or something).

DL 202 SJD-ATL B737-800, Ship XXXX
I didn't catch the ship number, but it was newly painted w/ the flowing fabric etc.

We're offered OJ and/or champange. OK, at 2p in the afternoon!? They were served in the smallest plastic glasses I've ever seen. I got two swallows from it. We were ready for take-off at little ahead of schedule and we were pushed back. We had one small plane in front of us, and then a Mexicana B727 landed, then it was us. As I'm watching the 727 land and turn back around, this guys comes up from coach and says something to the f/a. He leaves the F-class cabin, then comes back w/ his young (6-ish) son. Seems that junior couldn't hold it, so take off is delayed 30 seconds so he could go. I guess when mother nature calls, you answer her, no matter where you are.

We're in the air, and its another beautiful day. Just looking down at that blue water makes me dread going to work tomorrow (but I'll be at the CRC bar w/ a smile on my face!).

The flying time home was only 3 hrs; I guess the winds and route makeup for that extra hour on the way there? Again, all the PA announcements were professional and they again mentioned SkyTeam and AM and did all remarks in English and Spanish.

As for the menu:
Salad:
Fresh mixed Garden Salad w/ julienned Tomatoes and Pine Nuts, offered w/ creamy Parmesan Peppercorn Dressing.

Assorted Breads and Butter

Entrees:

A Choice between:
Pan-roasted Tenderloin complemented by Mushroom Sauce, presented w/ Herb Mashed Patatoes, Green Beans & julienned Carrots

or

Saffron Risotto tossed w/ a Tomato, Zucchini and Green Bell Pepper Medley, offered w/ grilled Chicken

Dessert:
Pineapple Sponge Cake

I choose the tenderloin. Drink orders were taken and linen distributed. Oh, hot towels were given out too (on both flts). The tray was presented w/ salad first. The bread was already on the tray, but the salad dressing was already poured into the little china cup; on the flt out there I had to open the little plastic container of salad dressing, so the little china bowl went unused (a war in Iraq may start soon, and I'm discussing salad dressing)...

The beef was GREAT and the sponge cake was GREAT. I really enjoyed the meal. I had one rum & diet coke w/ dinner but it wasn't topped off w/ diet coke, making it really strong, so I decided to just get diet coke for the remainder of the flt (I had to drive myself home anyway).

I noticed every new drink had fewer and fewer ice cubes in it. I guess they were running low? I watched Simone and was surprised. I didn't think I'd like it, but I did. Oh, and I thought this was new. I haven't been on an int'l flt in a while, but they showed an ATL specific video about clearing Customs and reclaiming your bags etc. It was an informative little piece. The graphics looked new and the DL agt towards the end were dressed in current attire, but the baggage rechk agts looked to be from file footage taken in the late 90s. Oh well, nice video to help the ATL newbies.

We had a great landing and arrived into E-16. It took 15 mins to get to the gate (we waited a little, but just the drive alone took 10 mins), then we had to wait 7 mins for an agt to move the jetway (I guess the cutbacks are starting to show in all depts now). I was through Customs and Immigration in no time. From deplaning to pulling into my parking deck= 40 mins (there was an employee bus @ E-Concourse right when I got to the employee stop).

So...there ya go. My little stress free trip to Cabo. I hope I met all the guidelines and requirements for "FT Trip Reports."

[This message has been edited by Russ21Atl (edited 02-19-2003).]
Old Feb 19, 2003, 11:13 pm

Bravo Russ! A real pleasure to see a report from you on this board. I see that you have the same attention to detail here that you have shown us at the various Atlanta CRCs over the years!
Old Feb 20, 2003, 6:13 am

Great trip report. Thanks for the in depth menu descriptions. Seemed as though you had a great time
Old Feb 20, 2003, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Nice report Russ, good to see you posting.

Are you going to be working tonight? I'm rolling through ATL on my way to IAD.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 8:16 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Mahalo for your post Russ -

Truly enjoyed reading your fine details about your trip.

I appreciate your Trip reports contribution.

Blessings...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Feb 20, 2003, 5:54 pm

Thanks for the report.
I've been to the Westin in Cabo many times.

I assume you were in the new terminal at Cabo (where Alaska parks)? I have yet to use that one... did the older terminal's renovations appeard to be completed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.