Search

SYD-MEL-PER-SYD on Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2003, 9:28 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci
SYD-MEL-PER-SYD on Qantas

Sunday 26 January - Australia Day - rolls around, and after being awake for 27 hours I show up at the Sydney Qantas Club lounge, and proceed to the QuickCheck machine to check myself in. Outrageously early, and unable to change flights (fare rules), I nevertheless got to the lounge 3 hours early. If I went home I would fall asleep and miss the flights.

After looking at the seating plans, I select 25B on QF443 and seat 1A on QF481 (previously upgraded on the MEL-PER sector), with both sectors being operated by 767's.

After showering, I give my boarding pass to the service desk staff and promptly find a quiet corner to curl up in for a few hours nap (after telling them where I was).

Awoke at 1410 for my 1500 flight, so informed staff I was awake, collected BP and made my way to the bar after checking monitors and seeing that I was departing from gate 8. After collecting drink from the bar, proceed to window, where to my sheer delight (and abject horror) I saw "Yananyi Dreaming" parked at gate 8.

Sheer delight? I had not flown on this "dreaming" aircraft, and I had been chasing it around. Abject horror? 25B on a 737 is a very different seat compared to the 25B I had selected on a 767.

Proceed back to service desk, and get reallocated to 18D.

Anyway, enough of that.

Sydney-Melbourne
QF 443, Sun 26 January, 2003
Boeing 737-838 VH-VXB Yananyi Dreaming

Scheduled departure was 1500, but boarding did not commence until 1455, so pushback was delayed until 1510. Nothing major to report, allocated runway was 34R, so we had to taxi.... and taxi.... and taxi even more, before we eventually got to the end of the runway. Take-off smooth and uneventful.

This aircraft has been recently reconfigured, and now has 12 J seats. The Y seats are Qantas slimline seats, fitted with the same material as the A330's (blue with a green tinge to it).

Refreshments were the usual box, this time it came with a chocolate and apricot cookie and a small packet of Kettle chips, so not too bad (better than the dreaded breadsticks).

I tried to convince the flight attendant that this was actually a 1630 departure, and it was really a Monday afternoon, but she would have none of it, and insisted that I pay for my beer! The cheek of her.

(For Third World readers - you know who you are, usually fly on AA, UA, CO, DL, etc. - Qantas provides free beer and wine in Y after 1600 on weekdays).

Entertainment was "Kath and Kim", an episode I had seen about five or six times (all on QF flights) - about time for a change, Qantas.

Flight uneventful, apart from some mild CAT on descent into Melbourne. On the ground at 1635, at the gate at 1640, 15 minutes late. Not a bad effort, considering the original aircraft had gone U/S and they had to do a switch.

Melbourne-Perth
QF 481, Sun 26 January, 2003
Boeing 767-336 VH-ZXG

This flight was scheduled to depart at 1810, and boarding commenced at 1750. Upon reaching my seat (1A) the flight attendant took my coat and boarding pass and hung it up for me (I was just going to leave it slumped on the empty seat next to me).

When we were all on and doors were closed, the FA came around with pre-takeoff drinks. The "wider selection" means that in addition to water there is now orange juice.

Take off smooth, can't remember which runway was used, but was uneventful.

Once in the air, the service started. Qantas have recently revamped services between Perth and Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Not having previously flown on this secor in J, I have nothing to compare it with, but it was slightly below international J, which is not bad I suppose for a domestic product (albeit a four hour sector).

Pre dinner drinks orders were taken, with passengers being addressed by name (not new, had this a month or so ago on ADL-SYD on a 737). Mine was a bourbon and dry, and fortunately they were a little strong on the bourbon.

Menu's were then distributed, which makes a change from my experiences of QF J.

Dinner was as follows:

Entree

Antipasto with Balsamic Dressing

Main Course

Roast Chicken with Potato Gratin, Green Beans and Mushroom Sauce

(This is what I had, it was superb).

Green Curry of Blue Eye Cod with Jasmine Rice

Salad of Beef Fillet with Asian Coleslaw and Wasabi Mayonnaise

Green Leaf Salas with Red Wine Vinaigrette

Dessert

Seasonal Cheese, Dried Fruit and Water Crackers

Ice Cream with Almond Biscuits

Alas, the menu is rather bland when it comes to the wine list, merely "A variety of premium Australian sparkling, white and red wines is available today for your enjoyment. Your Flight Attendant will advise you of the selection."

I had a very pleasant chardonnay, can't recall the name off hand. I did note it, but after five or six glasses, I forgot.

Dinner was polished off with a very pleasant port and coffee, along with after dinner mints.

A further drinks order was taken prior to arrival into Perth, along with a supper consisting of chocolate fudge (which I passed on, although it looked very nice).

Arrival in Perth was 2 minutes late (I want my money back) and luggage was on the carousel when I got there (first off). All in all, an exceptional flight, considering it only cost me $253 and 8000 points.

Dave

(To be continued.....)

(editted to correct typos, as well as to include obligatory dig at North Americans! )

[This message has been edited by thadocta (edited 01-27-2003).]
Old Jan 27, 2003, 9:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Thanks for the 2nd installment thadocta...

The menu seemed yummy...nice choices.

How far is it between Melbourne & Perth?

I could find out myself, but I am too lazy to look right now...lol

Keep the reports coming. :-)

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Jan 27, 2003, 9:33 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Stupid computer.

[This message has been edited by thadocta (edited 01-27-2003).]
Old Jan 27, 2003, 9:37 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pallensf:
Thanks for the 2nd installment thadocta...</font>
Stupid computer - must be the operator.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The menu seemed yummy...nice choices.

How far is it between Melbourne & Perth?
</font>
According to my frequent flyer statement, it is 1682 miles, but takes so long because of prevailing winds. My return flight last night - PER-SYD - also took 4 hours, but is 2041 miles.

Dave
Old Jan 27, 2003, 9:51 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Thanks for the speedy reply...

I love Australia - I spent 2 weeks in Brisbane years ago with some friends who live in Nerang...

I very much enjoyed your report. :-)

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:48 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Part 2 - PER-SYD

Check in is completed at the Qantas Club lounge at 2055 - a colleague is arriving on the flight from SYD at 2105 (same aircraft, in fact) and we need to conduct some negotiations in the lounge (pretty delicate negotiations they are too, things like "Who's turn is it to go to the bar?" )

Once he arrives, I leave him to it and disappear for a shower - the temperature in Perth was 36º and I was feeling it!

Some people have been saying that the PER lounge is desperately in need of an upgrade - I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. Certainly not quite there with the upgraded SYD and MEL lounges, but there are some lounges that look a lot tireder than this one does (a certain lounge located in the NSW/Queensland border springs to mind).

Perth-Sydney
QF 581, Mon 27 January, 2003
Boeing 747-338 VH-EBX

This flight is a dreaded "red-eye" flight, of which Qantas has three, one each to Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. PER-SYD is a four hour flight, departing PER at 2340, arriving SYD at 0640. So, if your body clock is on PER time, you are getting in just before 4am, if it is on SYD time, you are leaving just before 3am. And with the four flight, there is little time to get any decent sleep. Best to just write the day off totally. At least it is a 747.

My original intention was to remain in steerage, as I would not be getting much sleep anyway.

A few Crownies soon changed that, and I was up at the service desk parting with 8,000 points, and receiving a new boarding pass for 11A (front row window, upper deck).

Boarding commenced at 2310 - as you would expect with a 747 - and pushback was on time at 2340. Usual drinks - juice/water - were offered, prior to the safety demonstration.

After departure, pre-supper drinks were offered (the usual, bourbon and dry) and then the supper menus were handed out. I kept mine, but dozed off before they came around, so cannot comment on how good they were.

Entree

Antipasto with Balsamic Dressing

Main Course

Lamb Navabi with Chickpea Salad and Rice

Roast Salmon Fillet with Pink Eye Potatoes and Tomato Sauce

Salad of Chicken with Asparagus, Cucumber, Cherry Tomatoes and Mustard Dressing

Morning Refreshment

Orange Juice

Berry Energiser

Spiced Apple Muffin

The muffin was very nice, freshly warmed as it was.

Arrival into Sydney was early, touching down on runway 07 at 0615, disembarking at 0630.

All in all, a very cheap trip.

Dave
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:06 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Thanks for the report Dave. That's my kind of trip. A pure mileage run where the destination is governed only by the opening hours of the Club Bar.

The problem as you mention with going to Perth is te time diference, otherwise I'd jump at it for that sort of price.

------------------
Old Jan 28, 2003, 1:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:

Perth-Sydney
QF 581, Mon 27 January, 2003
Boeing 747-338 VH-EBX

This flight is a dreaded "red-eye" flight, of which Qantas has three, one each to Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. PER-SYD is a four hour flight, departing PER at 2340, arriving SYD at 0640. So, if your body clock is on PER time, you are getting in just before 4am, if it is on SYD time, you are leaving just before 3am. And with the four flight, there is little time to get any decent sleep. Best to just write the day off totally. At least it is a 747.

My original intention was to remain in steerage, as I would not be getting much sleep anyway.

A few Crownies soon changed that, and I was up at the service desk parting with 8,000 points, and receiving a new boarding pass for 11A (front row window, upper deck).
</font>
Cool, I was on this flight too. Decided against upgrading and scored a whole row to myself. Took a 90 minute nap after arriving, and I have just managed a full day's work.

Thought the Per QF Club was quite nice. Can't say anything else about the flight as I was asleep as soon as the fasten seat belt sign was off.

The main bummer was that the flight was supposed to be 4:00 hrs but took only 3:20. One of the few times I wished the plane would go *slower*.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 2:16 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aura:
Cool, I was on this flight too. Decided against upgrading and scored a whole row to myself. Took a 90 minute nap after arriving, and I have just managed a full day's work.

(...snipped...)

The main bummer was that the flight was supposed to be 4:00 hrs but took only 3:20. One of the few times I wished the plane would go *slower*.
</font>
Pity we did not get together beforehand - oh well, **it happens.

Dave
Old Jan 28, 2003, 2:20 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pallensf:
Thanks for the speedy reply...

I love Australia - I spent 2 weeks in Brisbane years ago with some friends who live in Nerang...
</font>
You should pop out again, as a country, we welcome with open arms those who seek to visit and not abuse our hospitality. (Sorry, cheap political dig there! )

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I very much enjoyed your report. :-)</font>
Why thank you - I just wish that some other countries were as easy to enjoy - a country located above Mexico and below Canada springs to mind.

Dave
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Dave

Your disdain for America and all things American is so ostentatious that I can't help but wonder what brought it about. I mean, in so many of your posts you seem to enjoy going out of your way to getting a jab in at our "Third World" here so I can't help but wonder - Were you beaten and abused by our police or involuntarily downgraded on one of our "Third World" airlines? Did you come across a few so called "Ugly Americans" either at home or abroad? All of the above?

Mind you, I'm not blindly patriotic or anything - I'm the first to admit that America has plenty of room for improvement - but I am curious simply because I've noticed you will cast dispersions at America and/or its airlines often when it has nothing to do with the subject matter of your report or response. What's up?

[This message has been edited by Seat 2A (edited 01-28-2003).]
Old Jan 28, 2003, 1:43 pm

2A well put. When I read the post I thought I was dreaming. I had to read it three times and check out my geography.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 5:05 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Seat 2A:
Your disdain for America and all things American is so ostentatious that I can't help but wonder what brought it about. I mean, in so many of your posts you seem to enjoy going out of your way to getting a jab in at our "Third World" here so I can't help but wonder - Were you beaten and abused by our police or involuntarily downgraded on one of our "Third World" airlines? Did you come across a few so called "Ugly Americans" either at home or abroad? All of the above?

Mind you, I'm not blindly patriotic or anything - I'm the first to admit that America has plenty of room for improvement - but I am curious simply because I've noticed you will cast dispersions at America and/or its airlines often when it has nothing to do with the subject matter of your report or response. What's up?
</font>
The attitude is directed ONLY at your airline industry, with a bit of an off-shoot towards the TSA and perhaps the NRA. The rest of the country is fine.

Dave
Old Jan 29, 2003, 12:59 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:
The attitude is directed ONLY at your airline industry, with a bit of an off-shoot towards the TSA and perhaps the NRA. The rest of the country is fine.

Dave
</font>
Dave, allow me to fill in the blanks ....

Flying in the US is like travelling in a third world contry compared to the pleasures of air travel in Australia. Some observations (most of my travel in the US has been with AA, so may differ with some other airlines, but from what I read here, not much):

* Even the highest status FF has to pay for club/lounge membership rather than having it provided complementary.

* After paying an annual fee for club/lounge membership, you still have to pay for drinks at the bar (and a tip for the bar tender).

* Even for a 3.5 hour flight you have carry your own food onto the aircraft.

* The front cabin of aircraft like MD80's is called "first class"! Come now, this is a business class product, not first class.

* Family and friends cannot go to the gate to meet and greet arriving passangers, nor to farewell departing passengers.

* Checkin queues can be horrendous, with the constant calling for passengers on soon-to-depart flights to come to the front, delaying further those who arrived the advised 2 hours early for their domestic flight.

* Poor baggage handling has led people to avoid checking-in anything and carrying on large cases, resulting in a fight to get onto the aircraft first to get to overhead locker space. With decent baggage handling, people would not have the need to carry everyting onto the plane and shared locker space would be plentiful! Travel on a domestic service in Australia to see how well this can work.

* Overgenerous upgrade schemes have led to some people believing they "deserve" to be upgraded and being agro about their position on the upgrade queue. This has also led to few people actually paying for seats in the premium cabins (being upgraded from discount fares) which has contributed to the financial difficulties of some airlines.

So this is not a reflection on Americans or America in general. But just the experience of flying domestically in the US when compared with the experience of domestic airline travel in places like Australia, New Zealand, and most of Europe and Asia.

Cheers,
NM - ducking for cover
Old Jan 29, 2003, 2:13 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
Dave, allow me to fill in the blanks ....

Flying in the US is like travelling in a third world contry compared to the pleasures of air travel in Australia.

* Poor baggage handling has led people to avoid checking-in anything and carrying on large cases, resulting in a fight to get onto the aircraft first to get to overhead locker space. With decent baggage handling, people would not have the need to carry everyting onto the plane and shared locker space would be plentiful! Travel on a domestic service in Australia to see how well this can work.

* Overgenerous upgrade schemes have led to some people believing they "deserve" to be upgraded and being agro about their position on the upgrade queue. This has also led to few people actually paying for seats in the premium cabins (being upgraded from discount fares) which has contributed to the financial difficulties of some airlines.

</font>
BRAVO NM. These 2 points irk me the most about travelling within the US. The overgenerous upgrade schemes havee led to the huge outcry on the United board about the devaluatuion of SWUs...there is no such thing on QF, SQ which IIRC are still doing OK in these tough aviation times.

------------------
kpc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.