Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2003, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

MH (Malaysian) business class, PVG-KUL

28 Jan 2003
MH 389, Shanghai-Kuala Lumpur
B747-400
Golden Club Class, 7A

This was my first time checking in at Shanghai Pudong airport. The taxi dropped me at the terminal at 1445 for my 1610 departure. Check-in was well underway with long lines at each of the 5 Y class counters. There was one counter each for J & F classes, and I waited no more than 2 minutes to reach the J counter. Seat 7A on the upper deck had been pre-assigned and my bag was checked thru to SIN with the blue Golden Club tag.

I then bought the departure tax ticket for 90 CNY and proceeded thru to immigration and the departure concourse. MH uses the shared lounge in front of Gate 18 which was really nothing to shout about. Basic seating and drinks selection. It reminded me of a cleaner, newer version of the horrible Oberoi lounge at BOM airport……

After a while I got real bored and left the lounge for a stroll up and down the concourse. Returned to the gate around 30 mins before departure and two long lines had already formed. I asked the gate agent if First and Business class would be given pre-boarding and she said Yes, and motioned me to the head of one of the lines. Quite embarrassing actually.

Anyway, I was first onto the plane through Door B. A steward was waiting at the top of the stairs and took my roller bag (which never fits in an upper deck overhead bin). As took my seat in the second row from the front, a stewardess came by to ask what drink I wanted, and I asked for Veuve Cliquot. For subsequent passengers that came on board I noticed that they brought round a tray filled with orange and guava juices, no champagne (unlike SQ).

The upper deck turned out to be just 50% full, compared with Y class which was just about 100% packed – mostly Malaysian expats heading home for the Chinese New Year, I gathered. The seat next to me was thankfully empty. The captain came on the speaker soon after doors closed and announced a delay due to heavy ATC. In the end, we took off at 1645 after taxiing out behind scores of mostly domestic jets.

Food service started a short 20 mins after take-off with the famous MH lamb and chicken satay.

The menu:

Malaysian Satay (very tasty)
Appetiser: Salmon and Dory Fish Roll, Jelly Fish Salad, Chinese Pickle, Deep-fried Lotus Root and Beancurd, Complemented with Sesame Soy Sauce (not good)
Grilled Salmon in Wasabi Cream Sauce (it looked very dry)
or
Red Curry of Duck and Pumpkin (my choice, average for a J class meal)
or
Deep-fried Vegetable Wonton flavoured with Sweet & Sour Sauce (didn’t look or sound at all appetising)
Vegetables & Accompaniments
Apple Strudel (dry)
Bread Selection (only had the garlic bread which was better than SQ’s)

All-in-all the meal was average, although I did like that they laid out all the food on an open trolley for viewing and selection.

The cabin lights were dimmed after the meal. After downing a few more glasses of Veuve Cliquot, I dozed comfortably for the rest of the journey. The seat was of acceptable quality. Recline was not as good as the SQ Ultimo seat or UA C+, but quite acceptable. Far better than TG’s business class seats (yes even the newer ones!).

On the downside, the maintenance of the seats left something to be desired. The tray table in my seat (7A) was very loose so it dipped in the middle, forcing me to have my meal in 7C. However, 7C was missing the fold-out flap at the bottom of the footrest, so I switched back to 7A after the meal. All this didn’t bother me this time round, but it sure would have if the flight had been full.

The service on the upper deck was good. All the crew were personable and relaxed. More friendly than the average SQ crew, but perhaps a tad less efficient.

This flight was a leg of a extremely well priced discounted business (D) ticket purchased ex-SIN. As a happy and loyal SQ customer, MH was a pleasant surprise. I found the overall experience (check-in, lounges, seats, service & food) to be perhaps 80% as good as SQ. But with the ticket cost this time round something in the region of 40% of price of an SQ J ticket, I was smiling all the way!

Over and out.

[This message has been edited by milehighj (edited 01-28-2003).]
Old Jan 29, 2003, 1:14 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
I also flew MH this week (26th) HKT-KUL-JHB. However, my experience was in Y on a Y ticket. As a NW gold, I checked in via their business class line. The security person tagged the bags with a priority tag and a business class tag. Fast check-in, but when the agent noticed that I was not flying business, she removed the tags. So much for partner airlines. (Note: although this was an international flight with a KUL connection, my bag directly transfered to the JHB flight. Only my carry on and I cleared immigration and customs). So, don't panic when on a connection and the bag does not show up on the carousel at KUL.

I asked for and was assigned exit row aisles on both segments. Just like on TG, exits are controlled by another agent who releases them to the check-in agent. Seats were comfortable and leg room was adequate on the 737's used.

Lunch, curried lamb with rice and desert was served on first segment. OK only. Second short segment had beverage service of chocolate-flavored drink only.

Anoather noteworthy observation was that Malaysian Airlines has not joined into the American notion of supposed political correctness. Annoncements specifically called stewardesses -"stewardesses". My flights did not have flight attendants.

KUL is one of the nicest airports I have been in. It sure beats BKK and NRT. IMO it is better than SIN. Great architecture.

I would fly MH again given the opportunity.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 6:40 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by opushomes:
KUL is one of the nicest airports I have been in. It sure beats BKK and NRT. IMO it is better than SIN. Great architecture.

</font>
KUL definitely beats BKK and NRT, but it's not that great.

1. Lounge access is indirect and poorly sign-posted. For example, to get to the MH lounge from the skytrain, you have to find the hidden escalator and then backtrack.

2. One of the great benefits of flying F or J is getting thru immigration and baggage claim ahead of the pack. Having to wait for the Skytrain negates all that as it allows Y pax to catch up!!

SIN Changi is definitely less architecturally impressive, but it's just so darned efficient. 9 times out of 10, it's literally 5 minutes from aircraft door to the cab line. That's what really matters.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 11:45 pm

Programs: JL-Diamond/JGC, NH-Platinum/SFC
Thanks for your report!

I am going to be flying MH C class between NRT and KUL in March, when they have F1 in KL. This will be my first MH experience, as I usually fly JL wherever I go. But JL only have overnight flight from KUL to NRT, so I chose MH this time.

My travel agent booked me seat 4A on B772. According to the seating chart on the MH website, 4A is the first row behind the F cabin. Does anyone know if I still have enough legroom at 4A?

Old Jan 30, 2003, 1:29 am
Original Poster

congrats on your first FT posting, gothrough! this was my first longhaul MH trip too so can't help with 777 seating.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Interesting thing about the menu. MH does not serve satay in BC KUL-TPE-LAX.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
FYI - For mileage opportunities, don't use ENRICH. Instead, go for SWISS TravelClub, or Northwest.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 4:55 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
FYI - For mileage opportunities, don't use ENRICH. Instead, go for SWISS TravelClub, or Northwest.</font>
thanks to recommendations by other FTers, i used KLM FD which should earn both miles AND status for my MH flights.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:09 am
Suspended

Malaysia Airlines

HR-KUL-LHR in business class, using Enrich points for an upgrade on both sectors. Golden Lounge in LHR pleasant enough, but beginning to look a little old, and could do with some sprucing up. FAs very good - greeted by title at all times. Very regular rounds of the cabin. Food good, and nicely presented. Drinks topped up regularly. Good range of teas and coffees. Ran out of one of the main courses on return journey. IFE not working on the return journey - FAs very apologetic, and offered move to another seat on the upper deck. Check in, boarding, disembarkation and baggage collection all quick and efficient at KUL and LHR. Overall a very good experience, as have not travelled with MH in the last couple of years, choosing QR instead because of more reasonable fares.
------------------
Nikimathew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.