Original Poster

LAX-MEX-ORD-EWR in UA First

United 1003
Depart: 11:15AM
LAX-MEX
A320
Seat 2C
New Years Day

I got to LAX about 2 hours before my flight. The lines were ridiculously long. I waited about 30 minutes to check in, in the first class line. They didn’t attach a priority tag to my bag for some reason. Then there was no separate security line for first class so I waited about another 30-45 minutes. I got my boarding pass and it said United First instead of Business which my ticket when I purchased it said. I upgraded this flight with an HK49. Due to time constraints, I didn’t make my way to the First Class lounge in LAX, only the RCC. The RCC was packed. I spent all of 5 minutes there before leaving and making my way to my gate. Boarding was on time and we pushed back on schedule. Before push back we got our choice of drinks and meal choices were taken in order of status I think. The first cabin was full and even though I only used HK49’s to upgrade my order was taken second. Service was already excellent. We left the gate and were cleared for take off when a man ran up the aisle yelling someone had a seizure. We immediately went back to the gate and the man was okay. We left about 45 minutes later into a smooth LA sky. The seats were so much more comfortable than NW’s first class seats. Channel 9 was on for this flight. Hot scented towels were passed out for this flight. We got our menus before we boarded and they included the following:

Warmed mixed nuts

To Begin:
Garden Fresh Salad – Classis Caesar Dressing

Main Course:
Filet mignon with apple wood smoked bacon demi-glace – Roasted red potatoes and green beans with yellow pepper

Or

Red roasted breast of chicken with piquant tomato sauce
Poblano mashed potatoes and green beans

Dessert:

Eli’s Apple Crunch Pie

The lunch service was excellent with fresh food and great cake.

I was amazed how the flight attendant called me by my name. There was excellent service all around. Unfortunately the movie screens were not working today but since channel 9 was on I didn’t care. We cruised along at 37,000 feet for most of the flight in smooth air. We made up a lot of time and arrived in Mexico City only about 15 minutes late. The landing was buttery smooth. Descent was bumpy of course, being Mexico City is surrounded by mountains. I was extremely impressed with United first service and would recommend it over NW any time. Unfortunately due to my bags not having the priority label it took them a while to come out.

United 1012
MEX-ORD
Departs 11:20AM
A320
Seat 1B
1/15/03

I got to Mexico City airport 3 hours early to check out the lounges. I checked in in the first class line and once again received a first class boarding pass for my business class ticket. Oh well, good news. Anyway I then made my way to the sorry excuse for a first class lounge UA has in Mexico City. The RCC in MEX is better then this lounge. There were no computers and the food was terrible. I had an old bagel, cookies, and foul cheese. I didn’t stay too long and then made my way up to beautiful, modern Mexicana Lounge. I couldn’t believe what I saw. It was gorgeous! There were maybe 5 computers with fast internet connections all with flat LCD monitors. Many tvs and even a gym. Both lounges said they’d announce when my flight would be boarding. I then scoped out the enormous food selection. Fresh pastries were all over the place. Fruit, yogurts, bagels, and more. Excellent job Mexicana! I was very impressed to say the least. Excellent variety of juices as well.

Boarding started 10 minutes late due to the late arrival of the crew. We an all female flight attendants for today flight. BONUS. Haha. There were preflight beverages offered and pushback was on time. We taxied over to the runway and took off into a surprisingly smooth Mexico City sky. After takeoff hot towels and warmed mixed nuts were passed around and surprisingly no menus. We were offered chicken empanadas or a skirt steak. I had the steak which was okay and it came with amazing mashed potatoes which were quite spicy with poblano peppers. For dessert there was a chocolate muse kind of cake. It was okay. Most of the first class on this flight were non-revs. After the lunch service on this flight the service was over. It sucked compared to the flight down and since I wasn’t expecting anything on my connecting ORD-EWR flight I thought I would go hungry. I was wrong! Anyway we watched Simone which was quite good and I listened to channel 9 the rest of the way. We made a smooth landing in ORD on time and made the loooooong walk to customs to connect to my next flight.

UA Flight 656
ORD-EWR
B737-300
Seat 1B

I boarded seat 1B and was not offered a pre flight drink. Anyway the service on this flight was amazing. Some of the best I’ve seen. The flight took off on time and about 10 minues after departure our dinner orders were taken. DINNER? Did I hear that correctly? I thought United stopped serving meals on flights 2-3 hours and this was 1 ½ hours. I wasn’t going to argue. We were offered short ribs or chicken lasagna. I ordered the lasagna and was not disappointed. It was HUGE! I’ve never had such a big portion in my life. With it was salad, grilled vegetables, and of course, raspberry cheesecake. All the food was amazing. Great service and a pretty smooth flight. Listened to channel 9 the whole way again of course and made a smooth touchdown in Newark 30 minutes early. Great flights UA!
Old Jan 28, 2003, 6:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Reldude - nice to know that UA outdid themselves on your trip.

I was not aware that UA flew from LAX-MEX...hmmmm

Maybe it's just not from SFO - I'll have to bone up on my UA routes - LOL.

Well written report. ;-)

Aloha & Mahalo to you...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:07 pm

Thanks for the report!

Yes, United maintains a meal service during traditional meal times on certain business markets, like Chicago to New York, and Chicago to Boston... Not DC though! Only apply to first class!

Carfield
Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:18 pm

Thanks for the report!

Yes, United maintains a meal service during traditional meal times on certain business markets, like Chicago to New York, and Chicago to Boston... Not DC though! Only apply to first class!

Carfield
Old Jan 29, 2003, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Thanks for the report! Odd that you could buy a Business Class ticket on a 2-Class aircraft.

I would think you could only buy Business on a trip with at least one segment on a 3-class aircraft. In such cases, you are booked in First on the 2-class legs (admittedly "if available", so I suppose if you did it at the last minute, you might miss out).

Might want to check about getting that HK49 back, as you should have been in First automatically (as you were on the MEX-ORD-EWR leg).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.