Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai "F" SYD-AKL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2003, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Thai "F" SYD-AKL

Some people might find it silly to pay for 1st class tickets on a 3 hour trip but due to peak season the cost of a full Y ticket on QF was very close to the price of what I paid on TG in 1st.

I was scheduled to leave Sydney on a Sunday morning at 7.55am. Despite such an early hour (for a Sunday) there were quite a few pax at the airport. Check-in was a breeze and I got my favourite seat - 4K. After immigration I proceeded to the Air New Zealand lounge upstairs which was very nice. There were only 3 other people in the 1st class section of the lounge and there was an abundance of snacks and drinks. I should add that in comparison to QF international lounge in MEL ANZ lounge in SYD had a lot more breakfast food and snacks.

After finishing my 3rd beer an announcement was made for boarding. Gate 60 was a zoo with no priority/elite boarding, so I just sat down and waited over 20 minutes for the queues to shorten and was one of the last pax to board. A warm welcome and smiling FA's was a good sign to me. My jacket was placed in the closet and I was offered Dom Perignon as a pre-flight drink. There were 8 other pax in the 1st cabin. Take-off was late by about 25 minutes but as soon as we got up in the air FA's got busy serving the breakfast which consisted of the following:

1) Fresh fruit, fruit yoghurt and cereals.

2) Omlet, boiled eggs, smoked salmon, tuna quiche, grilled bacon, grilled chicken sausages, grilled tomato, mushrooms, roast potatoes with herbs.

3) Roll, crossaint, Danish pastry, butter, asoorted preserves and honey.

Tea or coffee.

Instant noodle soup with Chinese roast pork which was available on request.

There are no PTV's on TG on this route, so the movie was shown on the main screen. The tape was of very poor quality and impossible to view towards the end. Had I not seen Men in Black 2 a number of times before I would have been reasonably upset.

After finishing my meal and tasting all the beers and most wines available I decided to get some sleep and found that seats on Thai 744 are very comfortable despite them not being flat.

We arrived in AKL 20 minutes late and due to delayed luggage I was able to leave the terminal 40 minutes after the scheduled arrival.

Overall, I would rate this flight highly with excellent service and good food with the only downsides being lousy entertainment system and no priority boarding.

My flight back was a lot worse but this will be in another trip report.
Old Jan 1, 2003, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Short but sweet. Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2003, 8:49 am

Good Report, Thanks for sharing with us.
Old Jan 1, 2003, 10:54 am
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spider:
After immigration I proceeded to the Air New Zealand lounge upstairs which was very nice. There were only 3 other people in the 1st class section of the lounge and there was an abundance of snacks and drinks. I should add that in comparison to QF international lounge in MEL ANZ lounge in SYD had a lot more breakfast food and snacks.
</font>
I was also really impressed by the food spread at the Air NZ lounge in SYD -- I was there in late afternoon and there were sandwiches, quiches, desserts, etc. I stuffed myself trying everything. :-)

But the Air NZ lounge (intl. side) in AKL was a complete contrast -- just cheese, crackers, and cookies. THey must be trying extra hard in SYD.
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Three tinnies before 8am! G'd on ya'...
Old Jan 1, 2003, 11:11 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by das:
I was also really impressed by the food spread at the Air NZ lounge in SYD -- I was there in late afternoon and there were sandwiches, quiches, desserts, etc.</font>
Sometime you should try the Qantas F lounge at SYD ... then you will be really impressed. Quite a bit more and better selections than sandwiches and quiche for QF. In fact their prawns are better than most restaurants have.
Old Jan 1, 2003, 4:35 pm

The food in the QF lounges in SYD, MEL, and Brisbane is fantastic. I agree with the above post
Old Jan 2, 2003, 2:50 am

what aircraft type is this again?
Old Jan 2, 2003, 3:45 am
Uli

Hi Spider!

Was nice meeting you again in Sydney before your flight to AKL.
The flight to AKL is a continued flight of BKK_SYD service on 747-400. I took the BKK_SYD leg on the same aircraft config some days before.
as there are no PTVs they gave us some DVD-players ... those cannot really replace an SQ screen
also I contradict if you say one can sleep well in those seats ...
Old Jan 4, 2003, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments!

Shareholder, it was a very hot day in Sydney - 36C/98F, so I was a bit thirsty.

number_6, I have been to the QF 1st lounge in SYD but never for an early morning flight. I have to agree that their afternoon food selection is great.

ual744777sta, it was a 744.

Uli, after all that wine and beer I probably would have slept comfortably even in the last cabin of the plane.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 3:48 pm

spider, great trip report!! the nz lounge is nice in syd, and agree re AKL. in the WLG nz lounge they offer sushi at lunch which includes prawns, salmon, etc. not sure if they do the same in AKL.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 6:30 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks for the report, Spider. I'm flying the same route in F on an award ticket in a few weeks so this has given me some idea of what to expect. Did they hand out personal video / DVD players in addition to the film on the main screen?

Most importantly, was there plenty of Dom? I'm looking forward to drinking at least the value of my ticket taxes in Dom on that sector...!

Edited to add:
What was the rest of the alcoholic selection like, since you clearly sampled extensively?

And dare we ask what happened on the return trip? Or should I just be patient?

[This message has been edited by mad_atta (edited 01-05-2003).]
Old Jan 6, 2003, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Mad-atta,

1) No video or dvd players between Oz and NZ.

2) Dom was plentyful!

3) Wine selections:
a) White:

Rully La Bergerie 2000 which is a chardonnay from burgundy.

Domaines SchlumbergerPinot Gris 1998 which is a fruity wine.

b) Red:

Chateau Desmirail Margaux 1999.

Beaune Champs Pimont 1998.

c) Champagne:

Dom Perignon.

Dom Perignon Vintage 1995. (I don't think they had this since they kept pouring me the standard Dom.)

Cuvee Des Roys 1991.

The return trip report will be posted shortly.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:47 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks for the replies, Spider, and for typing out the wine list. AFAIK, all Dom Perignon is vintage - the only variations are rose or regular - so it probably was the '95 they were serving you. Being the easy-to-please chap that I am, I'll humbly be happy with any Dom! Did you sample the Cuvee Des Roys?

Looking forward to your return report...
Old Jan 6, 2003, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Joh and I did the same Thai 747 flights SYD-AKL-SYD as Spider on nearly the same days, and only due to cell phone glitches we would have caught up for a beer in AKL.

We continued on to The Kingdom Of Tonga on our journey - on Air NZ ... a trip report on that is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/003329.html

(And I too had 3 beers in SYD lounge before the early morning flight took off .. but I'd been up working all night!)

We were in "Business" not "First" on TG 747/400.

What Spider has not really mentioned yet is the 1980s era cabin and facilities for both classes in the TG 747.

This shocked us as we are booked to Madrid via Rome and BKK and back in March on TG biz class, and for 30 hours of that each way, I am not looking forward to it. At all.

The First seats looked to have pretty limited recline, and total lack of headrest adjustment, in addition to no personal videos. Spider might elaborate on that? The "Business" class cabin upstairs was a culture shock. There were TWENTY seats up there. Now maybe several dozen trips on United upstairs on 747's have spoiled us, but that is "high density housing" to us.

To put that into perspective, United has THREE rows from the exit row back to the magazine stand/stairs on the A/B side. Thai has FIVE. So clearly nearly twice as much space between rows on UA, same plane.

No PTV's upstairs. Only the 1980s pull down movie screen in front of loo showing something dreary. To get to loo for entire trip one needed to literally do a limbo dance as it was only a couple feet off the floor. Insane. Only VERY limited recline in Biz seats. NO headrest adjustment whatever ...... up, forward or with "wings" at sides. No snake lights. Hopeless footrest not worth calling one to be honest.

Flying over to NZ there were no amenity packs of any kind offered. Did not bother then, as I dislike carrying stuff on holiday. On flight BACK yesterday they gave us both a pair of socks in a plastic bag. (Mid afternoon flight.) I asked could they please find me an amenity pack, as I collect them as souvenirs. Assumed this was a simple request.

First FA I asked said he'd need to ask "the boss" and disappeared for 15 mins. Asked another FA, and got same answer. She too vanished never to be seen again, and that was pretty annoying as it was a most simple request. (Remember they ARE loaded on board ex BKK ... plane flies SYD-BKK same day.)

Ask first guy again 30 mins later when he re-appears. He says can't be done. Ask politely to see Purser. He says 'OK', and nothing happens. Getting pretty peeved by this stage so ask AGAIN to see Purser. Flight Service Director finally arrives in red coat. Says it is impossible. Amenity kits are loaded but are only for "International" flights. Mention that Aust and NZ seemed pretty different countries last time I checked, separated by a large sea.

Asked to see Purser, thinking he still might be able to salvage this Monty Python scene. He arrives, and parrots same deal. They were not going to offer an amenity pack no matter WHAT. Asked by two FA's vanished and did not respond, and he looks perplexed and says: "that is not right - sorry for that".

Only a small thing, but one I will remember a lonnnnnng time. And with those dreadful upstairs (and J downstairs) seats, am NOT looking forward to flying 30 hours each way with TG in March.

Have flown TG a LOT to and from and within Asia and Indo-China. Often in coach, where food and service was BETTER than these flights. MASSIVE disappointment. Looking forward to our next 747 and 777 flights in United C, which frankly kills most other product in the air seating wise, but had not realised how DATED some other planes were.

TG did NOT use Star Priority tags on bags out of AKL. Asked why and they said the circular violet TG 'Royal Orchid' ones would do the trick. They did not - and our bags arrived way after most non J/F did. All in all a very disappointing couple of flights on an airline I always liked before.

------------------
~ Glen ~

"Did you know that the word Saadam when spelt backwards becomes Madaas?" ------ ® ... Alfred. E. Neuman Esq ... © ------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.