Search

NZ LAX-LHR in F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2003, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
NZ LAX-LHR in F

This was first leg of a *A F award. I already posted my RG LHR-CPH report. Here it goes for NZ.

I flew NZ to AKL in F a couple of years ago and really, really enjoyed it. Not as great as LH's service, but still quite nice. This trip reconfirmed my memory!

Check in:
One agent was serving both the F and C lines. She was heling a family of four. We waited paitiently in the F line for about 5 minutes. In the meantime, a passenger appears at the C line. Another minute goes by, and a new agent comes forward. The passenger at the C line barged forward with the infamous lines, "I just have a simple question." (Ever notice how simple questions often involve complex answers?). The agent helped her for about three minutes. Then it was our turn. Check in was easy. We were given a lounge pass and proceded to security. We bypassed the long line with our F boarding passes and proceded to the lounge.

Reception was warm in the lounge, but, as memory served, it was crowed and an bit dowdy. So we went next door to the AC lounge which was much more comfortable.

Boarding and Flight:
We got to the gate just as F and C were asked to board. No check of passports. Once on board, we headed to our large and luxurious seats. Now I have experienced the suites on SQ, LH, BA, and UA, which are all very nice. But the NZ seat is truly comfortable as a seat itself.

A nice pouch amenity kit was already in place. It consists of various gels (for the eyes, for the face, etc). They really made a difference during the flight. There was also a brush/ mirror thingy and a World'c Cup pin. The kit is not as fancy as BA's, not as "neato" as VS's, but much nicer than SK, UA, DL, AA, etc.

The FA's were superb, introducing themselves by name, and making sure that our every need was in place. They got us a drink, and served it with nuts before take off.

Meal service began soon. Here is the transcript:

Appetiser:
Baby arugula Maui salad with pate de foie gras and orange warm tarragon walnut sherry wine vinaigrette.

Smoked haddock tart with oyster mushroom, leek, and tomato.

Soup:
Sweet corn ginger chestnut soup with pasta fritto.

Main selections:
1) Seared New Zealand Lamb cutlets with provincial white bean ragout red wine garlic gine herb sauce.

2) Sauteed fillet of blue cod with artichoke, shrimp, and celery root. Balsamic caper oregano butter.

3) Roast breast of duckling with pear dry fruit compote/ Port wine lime sause.

4) Vegetarian Choice

Salad...

Desserts:
1) Orange currant bread
2) Almond Tuille

Cheese and Fruit

I had the soup and lamp. Both were outstanding. Cheese plate was phenominal. Hot chocolate to top it off! (Served with boxed chololates).

Fruit and snack were available entire flight.

For breakfast, I had a delicious scrambled agg and apple chicken saugage with a warm croissant. I could have had belgian waffles instaed.

In all, the meal service was an A+++++++++++. (Didn't even dawn on me at the time that there was no caviar!)

Movie selection was so-so. I watched "It's a Wonderful Life" and then tried to sleep.

I always have a hard time sleeping on planes. I didn't find this much different than trying to sleep in a full suite.

Arrival was easy, as we had fast track cards.

Consensus: Prob the best F service to LHR from LAX. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

ZRS
Old Jan 4, 2003, 8:31 pm

Thanks for the first report on NZ from LAX-LHR that I have seen on this board
Old Jan 4, 2003, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I concur on NZ's catering... Last year I flew LAX-RAR-AKL-LAX in J and all segments had a nice selection of food. Not Caviar or other over the top creations, just good quality close to fresh food.

[This message has been edited by NickP 1K (edited 01-04-2003).]
Old Jan 5, 2003, 3:17 am

Are the seats full flat? How are they arranged? Any single seats?
Old Jan 5, 2003, 8:45 am

Thanks for an interesting report. This F trip description comes in very handy for making a choice between UA and NZ on this route.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 6:12 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks for the report, zrs70 - NZ F reports are few and far between. Glad to hear you enjoyed your flight - I hope the rest of your RTW is as enjoyable!
Old Jan 5, 2003, 7:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chuck1:
Are the seats full flat? How are they arranged? Any single seats?</font>
No, 2 by 2, and no. There is one "experimental" 744 from years ago that has almost-flat seats, the rest are about 160 degree (not quite as good as the old CX A340 seats for example, which are now mostly gone, replaced with flat suites). AirNZ is not competitive in F seat comfort for sleeping, but has a nice day seat. So fly them only on day flights, if you care about such things.

Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:00 am
Uli

zrs70, thanks for the report.

i try to always sleep on planes as long as there is no internet installed ... even on day flights. so i am very happy that flat beds seem to be the industry-standard now. i am sure also NZ will follow this some time, as most big carriers start to offer beds even in C now.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 5:40 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
A quick question for you, zrs70 - do you remember what the wine choices were, in particular the champagne?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.