Wiki Posts
Search

My Most Extreme MR Yet: 40K+ Miles and 23 Flights on CO/UA

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Flight III: LAX-SAN

United Airlines UA6229 Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to San Diego, CA (SAN) operated by Skywest Airlines
Scheduled Departure: 7:05 PM
Actual Departure: 7:03 PM
Scheduled Arrival: 7:51 PM
Actual Arrival: 7:51 PM
Equipment: CRJ-200
Class of Service: Economy

I tried to snap a few photos while running between terminals. I was more focused on catching an earlier flight so they didn't turn out well at all!

NZ, VS, WN, and US tails in the distance

A quick look at the departure monitors let me know that the 4:00 PM flight was delayed to 4:20 PM! I ran to the gate, flashed my shiny new 1K card, and was given a new BP. And then I saw the prop...

United Airlines UA6338 Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to San Diego, CA (SAN) operated by Skywest Airlines
Scheduled Departure: 4:00 PM
Actual Departure: 4:15 PM
Scheduled Arrival: 4:50 PM
Actual Arrival: 5:04 PM
Equipment: EMB-120

Yeah, I had to suffer a 109-mile flight on a prop. On the plus side, I get to spend 4 hours in a new airport with free wifi instead of LAX. I'll call this a win!

During our takeoff from LAX I spotted the QF 747-400 with the special red livery (I forget the exact name for this particular paint scheme). This was my first time to see it in person but unfortunately we turned before I could snap a photo.

The flight to SAN took just over 30 minutes from takeoff to touchdown.

N288SW in SAN

The UA flight arrived at the commuter terminal so I had to take a bus to Terminal 2 for my next CO flight. This taxes place outside of the secure area.

The interior of SAN Terminal 2 - Very nice!

Security was deserted. Unfortunately, they had the WTMD roped off and directed me to the Backscatter machine. I opted out, of course. This was the most "professional" patdown that I ever received and it didn't take more than 60 seconds.

With just over 4 hours before my SAN-EWR red-eye I decided to find some power outlets and browse the Interwebs. SAN has several spots with a nice view!

Tonight I will take the SAN-EWR red-eye. In the morning I will fly EWR-BOS-EWR-SAN if the NYC weather advisory doesn't cause any delays. I'm scheduled to arrive back in SAN at about 2:00 PM tomorrow afternoon so I probably won't be able to post any updates until that time.

Until tomorrow...

Last edited by BryanIAH; May 19, 2011 at 1:47 am
Old May 17, 2011, 10:42 pm
`X'

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
The Red QF744ER is VH-OEJ - Wunala Dreaming
Old May 18, 2011, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wow dude, you are insane. In a mad way I am impressed that (1) you found this permitted routing, and (2) that you are willing to put yourself through it.

I suspect the stopover is not permitted, and it is obviously too late now, but would it not have made sense to wash all that airplane crap that gets into your skin on some lovely Brazilian or Hawaiian beach?
Old May 18, 2011, 1:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Very much enjoying this so far. Though I can't believe you said you had to "suffer" on a prop. The EM2 is a fun aircraft and increasingly rare. Plus Seats 9B and C offer amazing legroom. Looking forward to the rest!
Old May 18, 2011, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Hello again from SAN! I'll post more details about my SAN-EWR-BOS-EWR-SAN flights later. All of my upgrades cleared except BOS-EWR and I was lucky enough to meet two FTers on the flights!

The next portion of my itinerary was SAN-SFO-IAH-ABQ after a 9-hour stop in SAN. I wanted to get back as soon as possible so I used SDC to rebook SAN-DEN-IAH-ABQ (in full Y). However, we were just deplaned from SAN-DEN because DEN is under a full ground stop. I don't know what will happen next.

Originally Posted by `X'
The Red QF744ER is VH-OEJ - Wunala Dreaming
Thanks!

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Wow dude, you are insane. In a mad way I am impressed that (1) you found this permitted routing, and (2) that you are willing to put yourself through it.

I suspect the stopover is not permitted, and it is obviously too late now, but would it not have made sense to wash all that airplane crap that gets into your skin on some lovely Brazilian or Hawaiian beach?
All connections must be under 24 hours but I'll still have 9 hours in HNL and 2 separate 9 hour stays in GRU. Others have mentioned using SDC to extend their stay but I don't know if I'll be able to take advantage.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Very much enjoying this so far. Though I can't believe you said you had to "suffer" on a prop. The EM2 is a fun aircraft and increasingly rare. Plus Seats 9B and C offer amazing legroom. Looking forward to the rest!
I used SDC to get this flight so row 9 wasn't available.

My dislike of props is due to the number of times I've hit my head on the door. It happens every time. But yes, I agree that it is a very rare bird and I love flying just to say I've been on one.
Old May 18, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA CK
Wow

Wow, that's one insane itinerary. Thanks for sharing and I really look forward to your updates!
Old May 19, 2011, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by byroshi
Wow, that's one insane itinerary. Thanks for sharing and I really look forward to your updates!
Thanks! I'm working on the next update now.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Flight IV: SAN-EWR

Continental Airlines CO327 San Diego, CA (SAN) to Newark, NJ (EWR)
Scheduled Departure: 9:35 PM
Actual Departure: 9:32 PM
Scheduled Arrival: 5:34 AM
Actual Arrival: 5:34 AM
Equipment: Boeing 737-900ER
Class of Service: First

SAN is a great airport. CO uses T2 which is the newest terminal equipped with free wifi, lots of seats, and plenty of outlets. UA uses T1 and UAEX uses the commuter terminal but I hope the combined carrier will move to T2 if there is enough space. My only complaints involve the lack of connectivity between terminals and the lack of food options within T2, which has a Starbucks, a McDonald's, and an extremely overpriced California Pizza Kitchen.

The CO gate agents started boarding early and used the recently announced boarding process for the new UA. I have been on 9 CO/UA flights in the past few days and I have seen 9 different boarding processes. It is a real mess.

For this flight, boarding started with active military and then proceeded to First/PPlat/Plat/1K, then Gold/Silver/1P/2P/*G, then rows back to front. GS and special needs/young children weren't mentioned.

Once on board the flight attendants offered pre-departure drinks and offered to hang coats. The F cabin was completely full.

The eastbound SAN-EWR flight is just under 5 hours so I planned to get some sleep but unfortunately/fortunately the DirecTV provided an entertaining distraction.

The F meal for this red-eye was a grilled chicken sandwich. It wasn't very good.

I was able to get about 3 hours of sleep. There was a full moon, which looked beautiful, but someone didn't want to close their window so light filled the cabin.

We knew before takeoff that EWR was experiencing some weather issues (UA even issued a waiver) so I was worried about missing the tight connections. Did I make it? Stay tuned.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Flight V: EWR-BOS

Continental Airlines CO502 Newark, NJ (EWR) to Boston, MA (BOS)
Scheduled Departure: 6:45 AM
Actual Departure: 6:38 AM
Scheduled Arrival: 7:52 AM
Actual Arrival: 8:06 AM
Equipment: Boeing 737-500

Where can a plane leave 7 minutes early yet arrive 14 minutes late? Newark.

The flight from SAN arrived at one of the really remote gates (C98 or C99 I can't remember) where the gate is ground-level and pax must go up an escalator to reach the terminal. I still had enough time to run to Starbucks before going to the gate for BOS.

My upgrade cleared while I was flying SAN-EWR but it wasn't really important for such a short flight. Or so I thought...

Since joining FT just over a year ago I have participated in a few "group" mileage runs but I haven't met more than 10 or 15 fellow FTers.

After the gate agents invented a new boarding order I boarded through the blue carpet lane and sat down in 1A. The FA team was very awake for such an early flight and immediately offered pre-departure drinks. A few minutes later my seatmate arrived and asked if I was an FTer. I said yes and he introduced himself as usa18dca! We discovered that we were on the same SAN-EWR-BOS-EWR-SAN run but we didn't see each other on SAN-EWR because we were in different rows. There was at least one more FTer on our run as well.

The rain continued to slam EWR but we were able to push back early. After taxiing for a few minutes the captain announced that we were being held and he decided to shut down engine 1 to save fuel. Other planes continued to pass us and take off.

Our 735 was being used for BOS-EWR so we wouldn't miss that flight. The only problem was that a moderate/significant delay could cause us to miss our upgraded EWR-SAN flight.

After what seemed like hours we took off and only landed a few minutes late in BOS where we quickly deplaned.
Old May 20, 2011, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Meal pictures??

Enjoying your report.
Old May 20, 2011, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Well everyone, my first flight to GRU leaves tomorrow night and my visa still isn't ready. I'll make a phone call in the next few minutes but I don't know if this trip will happen. Don't worry though, I have a backup plan.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Meal pictures??

Enjoying your report.
Thanks! The meal pics are on my camera but I can't find the cable. That's on my to-do list for today so I'll just edit the pics in once I find it. The other photos are from my iPhone.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: UA
Creativity and Survivability

Having just completed a BOS-SAN [w/ multiple stops] this week, the key to a successful run is being flexible and creative.

Outside events impacting travel:
1) The weather across the USA has been poor - low ceilings with rain and wind. Flights in EWR, BOS, ORD, DEN have been especially hard hit. The DEN ground stop you and I experienced was due to hail and a tornado within 15 miles of DIA.
2) Air Force One caused an additional long delay in BOS Wednesday as the President flew into foggy BOS for an evening fund raising dinner. Air Force Two is in DEN today - with the required traffic hold.
3) Mechanical delays - 1 hour turned into 6 hours. "Know when to hold em and when to fold them" to give up on a flight and get an alternative routing. This past week was tough due to almost no extra capacity in the UA system. I offered a creative routing [with extra miles]to the agent and they took it to get me on my way. The prop Brazilia 120s are ok for flights up to 30 minutes.
4) Plan for survival: Drink plenty of liquids. Get up and walk around and get a pair of compression socks [even Walmart has them] to keep you from getting clots in your legs. And always remind yourself: "You are having fun!"
Old May 20, 2011, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

5:02 PM: Visa in hand exactly 17 hours and 50 minutes before departure. Talk about a close call!

Originally Posted by Thor3
Having just completed a BOS-SAN [w/ multiple stops] this week, the key to a successful run is being flexible and creative.

Outside events impacting travel:
1) The weather across the USA has been poor - low ceilings with rain and wind. Flights in EWR, BOS, ORD, DEN have been especially hard hit. The DEN ground stop you and I experienced was due to hail and a tornado within 15 miles of DIA.
2) Air Force One caused an additional long delay in BOS Wednesday as the President flew into foggy BOS for an evening fund raising dinner. Air Force Two is in DEN today - with the required traffic hold.
3) Mechanical delays - 1 hour turned into 6 hours. "Know when to hold em and when to fold them" to give up on a flight and get an alternative routing. This past week was tough due to almost no extra capacity in the UA system. I offered a creative routing [with extra miles]to the agent and they took it to get me on my way. The prop Brazilia 120s are ok for flights up to 30 minutes.
4) Plan for survival: Drink plenty of liquids. Get up and walk around and get a pair of compression socks [even Walmart has them] to keep you from getting clots in your legs. And always remind yourself: "You are having fun!"
Thanks for the tips! EWR looks nasty tomorrow but I have a 3 hour connection between IAH-EWR and EWR-GRU. My backup plans involve ORD and IAD.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Flight VI: BOS-EWR

Continental Airlines CO515 Boston, MA (BOS) to Newark, NJ (EWR)
Scheduled Departure: 8:45 AM
Actual Departure: ??? AM
Scheduled Arrival: 10:01 AM
Actual Arrival: ??? AM
Equipment: Boeing 737-500

The FTers from EWR-BOS were also flying on this BOS-EWR leg using the same plane. Our upgrades didn't clear and I didn't expect them to since F was showing full before the EUA window even opened.

We only spent about 20-30 minutes in Logan before they GA called boarding. Again, they invented a completely new boarding procedure while butchering the names of elite levels. Whoever decided to make GAs list 13 different categories (Military, BusinessFirst, First, PPlat, Plat, Gold, Silver, GS, 1K, 1P, 2P, *G, *S) was an idiot.

It continued to rain but we were able to depart close enough to our scheduled departure time. Once airborne the FAs had time to serve drinks and pick up trash before landing back in EWR. We had the same set of FAs as the EWR-BOS flight who were surprised to see us board and move back to coach!

Our connection in EWR was under an hour. I was in row 21 and the other guys were in row 7 so I had to hurry to the gate.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Flight VII: EWR-SAN

Continental Airlines CO1726 Newark, NJ (EWR) to San Diego, CA (SAN)
Scheduled Departure: 10:50 AM
Actual Departure: ??? AM
Scheduled Arrival: 1:47 PM
Actual Arrival: ??? PM
Equipment: Boeing 737-800ER

All 3 upgrades cleared for this segment.

I'm sick of traveling through Newark. CO really needs to update the older parts of Terminal C! It continued to rain and I heard several delay/cancellation announcements as I walked between gates. Our flight was not affected.

The flight attendants offered pre-departure drinks and distributed lunch menus. Flight time for the westbound EWR-SAN would be just under 6 hours.

EWR-LAX/PDX/SAN/SEA/SFO/SNA 5/11

TO BEGIN

Roasted nuts with your preferred cocktail or beverage

APPETIZER

Smoked salmon, black halibut and sesame coated tuna pastrami with Wasabi mayonnaise sauce

SALAD AND WARM BREAD

Hearts of romaine with cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives and croutons

Offered with Classic Caesar dressing

Freshly baked garlic bread and assorted rolls with butter

MAIN COURSES

THE CHEF'S SELECTION

Grilled Sterling Silver sirloin steak with garlic and herb butter, Delmonico's Original steak sauce and creamed spinach, onion hash brown potatoes and fresh green asparagus spears

CAJUN-STYLE BREAST OF CHICKEN

Herbed chicken with spicy Cajun cream sauce, white beans with chicken andouille sausage, mustard greens and grilled cipollini onions

PASTA BOWL

Wild mushroom and squash filled spinach roulade served with roasted tomatoes, sauteed red bell peppers, kalamata olives, four cheese bechamel sauce and grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese

DESSERT

Vanilla ice cream with choice of toppings

Fresh Brew gourmet roasted regular and decaffeinated coffee made exclusively for Continental Airlines or tea with your choice of milk or lemon
I decided to try the Chef's Selection. The steak was a little too fatty for my taste but it was still above average for airline food. The ice cream service included toppings but it was not as elaborate as the BusinessFirst offering on international flights. Economy passengers were offered buy on board options.

The flight seemed to pass very quickly. We landed in SAN from the east and almost immediately parked at the gate without waiting on the ground crew's arrival.

I had a 9 hour break before SAN-SFO-IAH-ABQ but I didn't want to wait. This is where everything would go wrong...

One final look at our plane from EWR-SAN

Last edited by BryanIAH; May 22, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.