Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A First Experience in *A First - LH/TG/LX F to Asia

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
This an excellent report.

I'm looking forward to future installments.
Old May 3, 2011, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Visiting Stockholm

I met up with a friend who was also coming from the States, but he was taking BA so I had a few hours to kill before his arrival. It was his first time traveling on a plane, so it was quite an experience for him and included one particularly noteworthy story. FA’s always make that announcement to let them know if there’s anything you need to make your flight more enjoyable. My friend took that to heart and during the overnight flight, he made use of the FA call button 5 times to ask for more wine to accompany him during the redeye. He had been assigned an aisle seat so I asked him why he didn’t just get up and walk to the galley. His response: “They said to ask if they could help me with anything, so I just pushed the button, I mean I only pushed it 5 times. That’s what it is there for, right?”

Here are some photos from the nearly 5 days I spent in Stockholm and the surrounding area. I had a great time, some real friendly folks up there and it is a gorgeous city. I highly recommend visiting - that is if you can stomach the prices.

Old May 3, 2011, 9:03 pm

Great report! Thanks for sharing. What is going on in the second photo of your most recent post? Is it some sort of reveille or retreat?
Old May 4, 2011, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

ARN-MUC in LH C

After a quick 20 minute ride on the Arlanda Express I was back at the airport. I quickly checked in at the empty SAS Business Check-In counter and my bag was priority tagged all the way to Kuala Lumpur. There was no line in the priority security line so it didn’t take any time at all to get airside.

Busy check in lines for Thai Airways

Ethiopian at Stockholm, how are the loads on this flight?

Some food at the SAS Scandinavian Lounge

The offerings in the SAS Scandinavian Lounge were pretty simple - though the chocolate muffins were too tempting so I took one of those, and another, and another. The photo above pretty much covers the non-snack related food items offered at the time I was there.

Busy gate area

ARN-MUC
LH2417
A320
Business

Lufthansa A320 preparing to return to Munich

SAS 737 parked next to us

Beef Goulash for lunch

In contrast to the flight to Stockholm, the FA’s on this flight came to check on me every 10 or 15 minutes to make sure all was well. Kudos to them for the attentive service. The meal wasn't great, but it did fill me up. Since there was no in flight entertainment, I brought out my laptop and saw an episode of Community (what a great show!) to pass the rest of the time.

After touchdown, we again parked at a remote stand where I was met planeside and driven to the lounge. I could get used to this kind of service!

Just able to photograph my ride as our plane moved in between the two staircases
Old May 4, 2011, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Great report! Thanks for sharing. What is going on in the second photo of your most recent post? Is it some sort of reveille or retreat?
It's the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace. It is done daily - though the "fanfare" type of event (i.e. with a band and marching group) is not done daily in the non summer months. Though it wasn't the full blown summer event, I did join in on a day when there was some fanfare.
Old May 5, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: A/C SE 100K(*G), WS Gold, marriott gold, Fairmont Plat, Hilton gold,starwood plat
Originally Posted by Pingtung
BOS-MUC
LH416
A340-600
First

LH F Seat

Some champagne and macadamia nuts pre-departure

I was warmly greeted and my coat was quickly taken. I was given the amenity kit and PJ’s (thankfully a fitting S/M one) and took a seat just soaking it all in. I began to explore all the storage space the LH F seat offers and boy is it a lot. The storage space is much appreciated and I think a great aspect of the seat.

Hot towel with a classy rose petal

I didn't bother posting drinks other than wine for any of my flights, if anyone is interested I can send it over to you.

I always chuckle a bit at how quickly pilots for non US carriers turn off the seatbelt sign. It had to have been no longer than 10 minutes after takeoff that the seatbelt sign was turned off and the FA’s began dinner preparations. This near 10 minute wait would pale in comparison to SQ on a future SIN-KUL flight in this report where the seatbelt sign was turned off about 3 minutes after takeoff.

The meal service was fun for a first timer and was carried out professionally and at a nice pace. The load was 4/8 with one skipping meal service and another having a small appetizer before calling it a night so the service was attentive. The flight was rather bumpy during meal service so attempts at pouring wine at the seat did not turn out well so the FA apologized for having to skip the elegance of seat pouring, no big deal to me though. Oddly enough, even with the turbulence the seatbelt sign remained off and it took a brief bout of moderate turbulence at the end of dinner service for the sign to come on.

On a different note, during dinner service I watched the film Little Fockers. While a good distraction during dinner service, it was a clear dud and had few if any comedic moments. Oh how the franchise has fallen since that great Meet the Parents film.

Amuse bouche was roasted vegetables

Table setup

Seared Tuna appetizer

Chicken thigh with sausage and tomato

Flan and some fruit to finish it off

Some nice amenities in the bathroom

I found the food to be decent, obviously better than anything I’ve ever had back in Y class, but I especially enjoyed the presentation, it is half the fun in eating.

After dinner service, the FA placed a water bottle in the compartment behind the seat arm and gave me some good night chocolates, nice touch. I quickly turned in for the night or at least tried too. While the seat is comfortable to sit in, I am a fairly light sleeper and found the seat “ok” as a bed. I actually prefer the top half of the seat in bed mode to be slightly elevated as I can feel the blood rushing to my head when in the fully flat mode. I found the slight crease between the seat back and the seat bottom to be a slight nuisance to my lower back and that coupled with the on and off again moderate turbulence led to a tumultuous few hours of rest.

I probably got no more than an hour of shuteye before I decided to call it quits and elected to stay awake for the remaining 2 hours of the flight.

The American Breakfast

Breakfast was ok, but I do find the freshly squeezed orange juice to be an excellent component of their breakfast service. There’s just nothing quite like waking up to a glass of fresh OJ and Lufthansa does this right.

Preparing for Landing

Arrival in Munich

We parked at a remote stand so I was looking forward to the car service I had read about here. Upon disembarkment, there were four drivers ready to take the F passengers to the terminal and I was quickly whisked away and taken to the terminal. There, I was sent through a security checkpoint with no line and was told, in German, to take my bag out of the bin. I don’t understand German so another F passenger passing through the checkpoint had to inform me of the request. Each airport has a different policy on whether bags should be in bins and I just wish they would agree on one. I usually just listen to what they tell those in front of me, but that tactic falls apart when you go through security checkpoints that have no line! After going through the checkpoint and getting a patdown (no groping here in Germany) for setting off the metal detector, I was taken to the F lounge where I went through passport control and was warmly greeted into the F lounge. It was a quick and painless 10 minutes from disembarkment to sitting in the lounge, well done Lufthansa and Munich.

Being driven to the terminal
Old May 5, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: A/C SE 100K(*G), WS Gold, marriott gold, Fairmont Plat, Hilton gold,starwood plat
bos-muc

I will be on the same flight BOS-MUC in a few days can you post the drink/champagne list if you have it?
Old May 5, 2011, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

MUC-SIN in LH F

I spent some more time in the Munich FCL and before my flight, I decided to take a shower, but this time I requested the room with a bathtub. I am now a proud owner of a Munich FCL rubber duckie.

Bathtub with changing mood lighting

Easter themed rubber duckie (an egg is on its back)

MUC-SIN
LH790
A340-300
First

[url=http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b449/Protean23/F%20Trip%202011/65.jpg]

Ready for the flight to Singapore

I really enjoy the glass jetways

I left the lounge early again to stretch my legs as my layover was over 3 hours. Boarding began a few minutes after I arrived and I quickly boarded when First/Business was called.

The soon (or not so soon) to be replaced F seats

Pre-departure beverage - champagne of course

Menu and Wine List for the flight

Boston to Munich April 2011 Menu

Dreamer's Delight

Cold Gourmet Plate

Crabmeat Salad with Curry Yogurt Cream, Salmon Pastrami and grilled Watermelon with Goat Cream Cheese and Balsamic Vinaigrette

OR

Hot Specialty

Fried Breast of Guinea Fowl with Barbecue Sauce, Swiss Chard Stew and Cheese Polenta

Cheese and Dessert

Pont-l'Eveque, Bleu de Gex and Apeenzell Cheese
Fresh Fruit

Choice of Hors d'oeuvres

Caviar with the traditional Garnishes
Smoked Tuna with Citrus Salad and Watercress
Pastrami and Sauerkraut presented with Russian Mustard Sauce
Rice Paper Wrap with Asian Vegetables, Angel Hair Noodles, Mango and Soy Sauce with toasted Sesame

Salad

Caesar Salad Classic
with your Choice of Macadamia Nut Oil or Caesar Dressing

Choice of Main Courses

Pepper crusted Swordfish an light Bell Pepper Sauce presented with Potato and Mushroom Stew

Ravioli filled with Mozzarella Cheese and Basil, stewed Rucola and Tomatoes,
Butter and Lemon Sauce

Duck, Duck, Duck
Trilogy of Duck: Breast, Meat Loaf and Ravioli served with Cranberry Relish, Leaf Spinach, Sweet Potato and Vanilla Mash

Lufthansa Classics

In April: Marinated Spare Ribs with Corn-on-the-Cob and Oven-baked Potatoes with Creme Fraiche

Selection of Cheese and Dessert

Pont-l'Eveque, Bleu de Gex, Sainte Maure Goat Cheese, Apeenzell Cheese and Brie presented with Rhubarb and Curry Chutney, Grapes and Pecan Nuts

Cheesecake Lollipop Tree, Cheesecake with white Chocolate, Coconut
and Chocolate Chips, Lemon Thype with Raspberries and Bubblegum whipped Cream

Apple and Blueberry Crumble with Whiskey Ice Cream
Wines were the same as on my earlier BOS-MUC flight.

Appetizer stand along with some caviar

Caesar Salad

Trilogy of Duck

Apple and Blueberry crumble with Whiskey Ice Cream

Dinner service was slightly different than on the BOS-MUC, for example wines were not poured at the seat, but the service was slightly more personable and attentive. The food was again, decent and I would rate the meal as a slight improvement over the BOS-MUC meal. The trilogy of duck was pretty good, but the meat inside the ravioli tasted more like corned beef hash then duck. Two notable dishes were the Asian wrap appetizer and the dessert. I even thought about asking for more of the dessert before thinking better of it. One thing I forgot to mention on the first flight was that Lufthansa does appetizers and cheese/dessert on a trolley. This is a great way to display the different options and it is always much easier to make selections when you are able to take a look at them.

As I prepared to turn in for the night, I went to the bathroom to change into the LH Pajamas. When I returned, the FA asked if I would prefer to have a blanket on top of the “bed” in addition to the blanket provided. I accepted and she helped me to get settled in. That additional sheet did help to make the bed more comfortable and I was able to get about 4-5 hours of sleep in. I’ve never actually gotten real sleep on a plane since I was like 10 so I felt rather refreshed when I woke up, ah the joys of F travel!

MUC-SIN Breakfast

Freshly squeezed Orange Juice

Fresh Fruit

Mango and Passion Fruit Curd with Passion Fruit Seed, Yogurt and Smacks with Milk

Sliced Wellfit Gouda Cheese, Cream Cheese with Vegetables, Yogurt cheese, fresh Figs

Serrano Ham, smoked Turkey Breast, Milan Salami, Cornichon

Smoked Filet of Salmon Trout, marinated King Prawns, Herb Sour Cream

Scrambled Egg freshly prepared upon your Request
with your Choice of Bacon or Chives

Breakfast service about to begin - again with the trolley

My selection from the trolley

Some cappuccino in the morning

Freshly prepared scrambled eggs

This breakfast was just great, everything was just spot on and the freshly prepared scrambled eggs were just what I needed.

Earlier in the flight, the purser had stopped by and asked if I would be willing to fill out a survey and I agreed to do so. As we began to descend I began to fill out the survey, in general giving the crew top or near top marks in almost all categories. They did a wonderful job and overall I felt it was an improvement over the BOS-MUC crew who were decent, but were missing those slight intangibles.

After landing, there would sadly be no one to greet me when I arrived, but I felt refreshed and relaxed after a 12 hour flight and ready to make that last connection.
Old May 5, 2011, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meetingup
I will be on the same flight BOS-MUC in a few days can you post the drink/champagne list if you have it?
I don't seem to have the champagne, but here was the rest of it:

Mineral Water

Appollinaris, sparkling natural mineral water
Vio, natural mineral water

Fruit Juices
Apple
Tomato
Orange

Soft Drinks
Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, Kinley Tonic Water, Kinley Bitter Lemon, Kinley Ginger Ale

German Beers

Warsteiner Premium Verum
Warsteiner Premium alkoholfrel
Erdinger Weibbier

Hot Beverages

Jacobs Kaffee
Royal Diplomat 100% Arabica Coffee from the Highlands

Nespresso
Ristretto, Volluto, Decaffeinato

Darjeeling Royal First Flush Blatt
Earl Grey Premium Blatt
Yogi Tee Grune Harmonie Bio
Pfefferminz Tee
Rooibos Lemon Fresh
Yogi Tee Himmlischer Gluckstee Bio

Spirits

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey Old No. 7
Johnnie Walker Blue Label
Bushmills Malt 10 Years old
Smirnoff Red Vodka
Bombay Sapphire Distilled London Dry Gin
Cognac Lheraud Cuvee 30
Calvados Pays d'Auge AC, Daron
Fernet Branca
Walcher Williams Exclusiv
Etter Kirsch

Liqueur and Port
Baileys Irish Cream
Late Bottled Vintage Port, Niepoort
Old May 5, 2011, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

SIN-KUL in SQ C

I had two and a half hours to kill in this airport so I decided to make the trek over to T3 to checkout the newer SilverKris Lounge.

Garden in T2

Quiet T3 around 5PM local time

SilverKris Lounge in T3

Warm dishes and snacks

Something to nibble on – some curry chicken and rice with apple juice

Skytrain

I had heard great things about the Singapore Airport and I agree that it is absolutely fantastic. I was especially impressed with the use of the Skytrain and how one train car was designated for those that were in Singapore and one for those in transit or those that had gone through passport control to exit the country). Clever, clever, design.

T2 SilverKris entrance

Older decor in the T2 lounge

The lounges were vastly different in their appearance, but I found the offerings to be essentially the same. Unless you’re obsessed with visiting lounges, it probably isn’t worth the trek to the T3 terminal just for the aesthetics of that SilverKris Lounge.

It was finally time to head to the gate and I was selected for a secondary pat down even though I did not alarm the metal detector. It was again a quick pat down and I entered into the holding area.

SIN-KUL
SQ118
A330-300
Business

A330 to KUL

View across the aisle before the seats were filled

View of the C class seat on the A330

Nice large screen

Boarding was quick as I boarded when Business class was called and there were no more than 5 of us in the holding area at the time. Upon arriving at my seat I was welcomed and offered newspapers and a choice of champagne, water, or orange juice. I was quite fascinated with the screen as it was by far the largest personal screen I had ever flown with. It will be great when LH gets those replacement seats in and does away with those tiny personal TV’s.

Turning onto the runway just as the light is fading

As I mentioned earlier in my report, 3 minutes after takeoff the seatbelt sign was turned off and the FA’s began preparations for the meal service. I let out a slight chuckle when I saw an FA stumble a bit while grabbing a seat when the plane made a sharp turn. Watching the FA’s execute a meal service to what was essentially a full business cabin was a sight to see. I do believe that they also performed a drink service in Y and that is just amazing when you consider that the flight time is about 35-40 minutes. Like clockwork meals and drinks were distributed. They had this down to a T and it was just great to see them working so quickly and efficiently.

Cold sandwich served on a 35 minute flight

As it took about 10 minutes to distribute all the meals, it was a bit odd to see a situation in which some were receiving their meals while others were having their tray collected. Just like that, the meal service was complete and the cabin was prepared for landing. We arrived on time and I was sad that my only SQ experience ended so quickly. I hope to experience their C or F product on a long haul one day.

AL 767 in “new” colors, I wished it had a bit more color, but it is nice to see the crane back

The tram back to the main terminal was packed, but thankfully it was a quick ride and I hustled quickly and joined the line when it was only 10 deep. Thankfully I beat out the tour group from China (boy are those people traveling everywhere now) and made it through immigration in under 10 minutes.

Baggage claim area at KUL

The priority tags did work well here at KUL. There were quite a few bags tagged priority, but mine was in this group. I quickly headed out, a little over 20 minutes after landing.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! You are fabulous jobs the TR & photos, too. I'm glad you are so enjoyed the flight from IAD-BOS-MUC-ARN-MUC-SIN-KUL. I'm glad you are so successful the entire trip. Surely, if you likes to eat a good foods. I wasn't sure that you like a German foods. You will get too extremely tired for flying over the world. You need try to do stretched the legs.
Old May 6, 2011, 4:08 am

Programs: LX M&M
what a fantastic trip report..thank you
Old May 6, 2011, 4:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Really enjoying your trip report!^
Old May 6, 2011, 5:18 am

Good trip report! You should do this more often while you are young. I've got million ff points but have a wife and two young children and can't leave the business so can't go anywhere anyway
Old May 6, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: SQ, BA, 9W
Good TR. What were the loads like on the MUC-SIN flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.