Moomba's Addiction Continues RTW One World in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moomba's Addiction Continues RTW One World in J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You do like to punish yourself don't you?

Great landscape pictures...makes flying far more enjoyable when it's a clear day. Trouble is, I always wish I could get off and explore when overflying such wonderful scenery.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Moomba
Here I leave this journey until next year when my RTW adventure continues.

Thanks for reading I hope you enjoyed it.
I have and look forward to the trip resuming.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
You do like to punish yourself don't you?

Great landscape pictures...makes flying far more enjoyable when it's a clear day. Trouble is, I always wish I could get off and explore when overflying such wonderful scenery.
I agree with you. Every time I fly over that part of the US I remember a couple of trips I made when I was living in SAT. One was to LAS where I rented a car and drove up through Zion to Bryce NP and did a drive along route 12 (IIRC) which was most spectacular.
Another was a weekend in ABQ where I drove up into the mountains towards Santa Fe. I remember coming across a high plain nestled up in the mountains. I could just imagine a herd of buffalo coming charing across the plain. It was very memorable.

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
I have and look forward to the trip resuming.
Thanks baggageinhall.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Part 7 LHR-LAX-JFK

The Photos

Once again it is time to pick up sticks and continue with this RTW report. I have not travelled much since my last missive here except for a trip home to Oz (which prompted the trip report that wasn’t going to happen) two domestic trips to EDI for the weekend and a MR to ATH via ZRH on Swiss; oh dear I am addicted.

I decided to stay at the Sheraton Skyline at LHR once again so I didn’t need to arise at the crack of dawn and tackle underground commuter crush with a suitcase. This meant a leisurely start and the local bus to T3.

I checked in at the Flagship Check-in desks after answering the security questions and a short wait for a free agent. He was able to check my bag through to JFK on the two PNRs I would be travelling on today.
He sent me on my way with directions to the lounge.
Fast track was what it said on the tin. No wait at all and I was able to walk straight up to a belt and start dismantling my person and my belongings. Through with no beeps and no fuss it was time to be-line for BA F lounge.

The agent welcomed me inside and I found a position near the window. First up was the obligatory glass of bubbly. I was most disappointed to see that the Taittinger Comtes de Champagne was no longer available and I had to make do with a choice of either Cattier Clos du Moulin or the Bruno Paillard Rose. The first is a rough experiment in how to make champagne taste like cat urine, so I went for the ever reliable Paillard Rose.

I grabbed a half healthy start to breakfast in the form of a bowl of fruit salad with some natural yoghurt. Once I polished this off I requested a bacon baguette from one of the staff. What? It has to be done. It is unwritten law that in a BA lounge for a morning flight it is mandatory to have a glass of bubbly and a bacon baguette.

I then fired up my laptop and connected to the interweb thingy to check my emails. Oh look is that an email from Mindperl. Ah yes my next RTW was ticketed this morning. Repeat after me. Moomba has a serious addiction. Moomba needs help.

I had intended to drop in to the AA lounge en-route the gate but left it too late and just powerwalked up to the gate 44 lounge where the flight was leaving. There was a separate line for priority access and my passport was checked by a queue dragon. A short wait and my BP was swiped just as they started to board the aircraft. I walked on down the ramp and on board to my seat.

Flight AA0137 LHR-LAX Seat 12A
Aircraft: 777-200
Departure time: 11:50

Once on board my jacket was taken and I settled in to my seat. My seat mate joined me and we started to chat and chat and chat. She had been to convention in Germany that dealt with all things aircraft interiors. She works for a company that deals with IFE content. I was so engrossed in conversation with this lovely lady that my note taking skills and photography took a tumble. I hardly ever chat to people on a plane but it was so pleasant to spend the first couple of hours talking about planes, IFE, food and cooking.

Menus were handed out on the ground but no orders were taken at this time. We were also offered champagne, orange juice or water as a pre take-off bevvie.

We pushed back on time and taxied to the end of the runway and took off sometime mid conversation. I think the captain announced a flying time of 10 hours and 39 minutes.

After the belt sign was extinguished the crew got to work and took our lunch orders.

Here is what was on offer:

Dining Service
To Start:

Warmed mixed nuts

Appetiser:
Grilled shrimp, sesame smoked tuna and seaweed wrapped halibut and salmon

Salad:
Fresh seasonal greens and an assortment of fresh vegetables offered with a blue cheese dressing or premium extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Bread Basket:
Assorted gourmet breads

Main Course:
Peppercorn Beef Fillet

Grilled fillet of beef topped with green peppercorn sauce, offered with potatoes au gratin and sautéed mushrooms, leeks and onions.

Rosemary Cumin Chicken
Grilled breast of chicken flavoured with rosemary and cumin, served spinach orechiette pasta topped with creamy tomato sauce

Shrimp and Scallops Sambal
Lime-marinated shrimp and scallops served with sambal sauce, accompanied by jasmine rice with almonds, sautéed onions and leeks

Cheese Tortelloni
Delicate cheese filled tortelloni in a rich mascarpone sauce

Dessert:
Ice Cream

A scoop of Mint Chocolate Chunk ice cream

Fruit and Cheese
A selection of gourmet cheeses offered with fresh seasonal fruit and assorted crackers

Mid Flight Snack:
Fruit and Cheese
A selection of gourmet cheeses offered with fresh seasonal fruit and assorted crackers

Snacks
Assorted snack items are also available

Wine List:
Champagne:
Pommery Brut Champagne

Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier Grapes
It was in 1858 that Madame Louise Pommery took over the reins of the newly formed Champagne house and began the arduous task of building the historic estate that one sees today. This lively fresh champagne is remarkably smooth with a soft and delightful ‘mousse’ that never wanes on the palate. Very versatile wine that pairs well with many light dishes.

White Wines:
Willm Pinot Blanc Reserve

Pinot Blanc Grapes
The Willm family traces its roots back ro Alsace in 1896 where it was both a grape grower an a restauranteur. After prohibition in the U.S., the Willm vineyard was the first winery from Alsace to enter the U.S. market and has been there ever since. Willm’s reputation spans the globe and is recognised as a beacon for the wines of Alsace. Its classic wines include the regal and beloved Pinot Blanc. It is fresh, well-balanced wine with subtle fruit flavours.

Seven Sisters “Vivian” Sauvignon Blanc
Sauvignon Blanc Grapes
The Seven Sisters wine brand evolved from its association with seven Brutus sisters of Paternoster. The Brutus family lived in a small village on the western coast of South Africa, and created fine wines that reflect the personalities of the seven sisters. Vivian’s wine delivers spice, tropical fruit and floral tones on the nose, which is typical of Sauvignon Blanc from this area.

Red Wines:
Arrowood Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon

Cabernet Sauvignon Grapes
Arrowood produces classic varietal wines using grapes exclusively from Sonoma County’s diverse viticulture areas, such as Russian River Valley, Alexander and Dry Creek Valleys or Sonoma-Carneros. This Cabernet Sauvignon is layered and complex. From deep, dark colour to the intense aromas of black cherry and cassis, to the mouthwatering flavours of dark berries, each layer unfolds slowly and deliberately.

Chateau Teyssier Saint-Emilion Grand Cru
Chateau Teyssier has been home to the Maltus family since 1994. This glorious chateau sits in the heart of St. Emillion, one of the world’s oldest wine towns. Maltus is considered a rebel in Bordeaux as he always faces a very traditional trade, so trying to find new ways to improve the wines and viticulture is continually met with suspicion. Maltus pushes on, and his winemaking skills are evident upon the first sip of this wine. Red meat dishes and wild game are perfect matches.

Sherry:
Emilio Lustau Sherry

Palomino Fino Grapes
Phoenician traders founded a frontier settlement called Shera on the Mediterranean coast. Following Roman and Moorish occupation it became the Spanish Jerez de la Frontera, now know as the Sherry region. Lustau medium Sherry is a hearty aperitif wine, amber in colour, specially fermented and continually blended through the decades of aging to achieve the nutty caramel flavours.

Dessert Wine:
Graham’s Vintage Port

Touriga Nacional Grapes
Founded in 1820, W. & J. Graham & Co. maintains its place as one of the most prestigious names in fine Port wines. Careful decanting results in a brilliantly clear and sweet ruby red dessert wine of unequalled charm. Graham’s Vintage Port fulfils its rich heritage with bold brambleberry and plum flavours slowly mellowed to a satin texture.

Beverages:
Spirits:

Absolut Vodka
Beefeater Dry Gin
Bacardi Rum

Whiskeys:
Canadian Club Reserve Blended Whisky
Dewar’s White Label Scotch Whisky
Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch
Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey
Jim Beam Black Bourbon

Beers:
Heineken, Amstel Light and select U.S. Beers

Brandy and Liqueurs:
Disaronno Amaretto
Baileys Irish Cream
Kahlua
Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Fine Champagne Cognac

Other Beverages:
Carbonated Beverages
Still and Sparkling Water
American Airlines Premium Blend regular and decaffeinated coffee
Tea
Fruit Juices
Milk

Hot towels and bose headsets were handed out before the lunch service started with the warm nuts and a drink. I decided to forego the strong spirit or champagne and asked for some of the Arrowood Cab Sav. Nice stuff. There was a time when I wouldn’t touch U.S. red wines but they seem to have improved of the last 10 years or so.
Re-fills of both the nuts and the wine were offered before the main service started.

The starter and salad were delivered on the trays and brown or white rolls were offered. As usual I opted for the balsamic vinegar dressing for my salad.
Once my salad and starter were demolished the main came out. I kinda sorta forgot to photograph this course as I was too busy in conversation with my seat mate.

My wine glass was never empty throughout the meal. More bread was also offered through the meal. Next up was the ice cream or cheese option. Ok ice cream and coffee were the decisions made this time.

For a nice change the ice cream was ready to eat and was not a rock of ice.
Finally after a long leisurely conversation filled lunch it was time to kick back a watch some of the inflight entertainment.

Wow Black Swan is an intense film. The King’s Speech was interesting especially as it was an Australian playing Edward. Made in Dagenham was a surprise inclusion on the American playlist and was a very insightful movie.

During the movie run the crew came around with plates of fruit and cheese that I did not partake of.

Around 2.5 hours out of LAX the second meal service started. I opted for more of the Arrowood and the pizza offering. Both went down well at this point during the flight.

LIGHT MEAL:
Uno’s Four Cheese and Pesto Pizza

A traditional deep dish pizza with a mozzarella, Muenster, Romano and feta cheese blend, basil pesto and plum tomatoes accompanied by a green salad

Grilled Chicken Cold Plate
Grilled chicken served with curry zucchini pasta salad and fresh red grapes

I think I dozed after this as the next thing I knew the headsets were being collected and we had just over 30 minutes left in the flight.

We landed at around 14:25 and taxied a mile around the building works to our gate and had to be towed the last few metres. I disembarked and said goodbye to my new friend at the top of the ramp.

I walked quickly to the immigrations desks where I had to wait a couple of minutes for an agent. Once processed into the United States I needed to wait 5 minutes or so for the bags to appear. Mine was out pretty quickly and I cleared customs before handing my case back to a re-check agent. I made my way upstairs and to the fast track security where there was again no wait at all. Through the nudoscope and out the other end and into the Flagship lounge by 14:54. How nice it is not to have to use TBIT immigrations!!

After a juice in the lounge and a bit of surfing it was time to head down to the gate. I arrived at the gate around 5 minutes before boarding was due to commence. Just as I got there the agent called First to board. I walked up to the scanner was processed and walked on down to the old 767 bucket.

Flight AA0180 LAX-JFK Seat 2A
Aircraft: 767-200
Departure time: 16:15

On board I turned a hard right and stowed my bag and took my window seat in the front row.
My jacket was immediately taken and stowed in the closet.

Boarding continued and the first cabin filled with 3 free seats including the two captain Kirk seats in the middle.
My seat mate was a TV chef I recognised, the griller master Bobby Flay. OJ, Sparkling Wine or Water were offered prior to take-off and refills offered. A flight time of 4 hours and 46 minutes was announced.

Menus were handed out on the ground and the first purser came around and asked my first name and took a drink order. He used my first name for the remainder of the flight when addressing me.

We pushed back on time and taxied out to the take off runway. Once in the air and the belt sign was extinguished a hot towel was handed out and the purser handed out personal entertainment units to those that wanted them. The drink round was then made with the offer or warm nuts and/or antipasto.
A refill of my nuts and scotch and dry was offered but I declined both.

Dining Service:
To Start:

Warm mixed nuts
or
Marinated cheese antipasto

Appetizer:
Prosciutto garnished with Parmesan cheese, served with cantaloupe puree

The Salad Cart:
Fresh seasonal greens offered with sour cream and herb dressing or premium extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
Mozzarella, cherry tomato and fresh basil salad
Sliced onion garlic chicken breast

Bread Basket:
Assorted gourmet breads

Main Course:
Beef Fillet with Foyot Sauce
Grilled beef fillet served with béarnaise-style glace de viande and celery chive potato puree

Salmon with Cranberry Pecan Butter
Salmon served with cranberry pecan butter and orange marmalade, accompanied by sweet potato timbale with Boursin cheese crust and mixed vegetables.

Cheese Tortellini with Romano Sauce
Homemade tortellini stuffed with three cheeses, topped with tomato, mushroom and mozzarella sauce, Parmesan cheese and parsley

WINE LIST:
Sparkling Wine:
Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Carneros Brut

Chardonnay, Pinot Noir Grapes
This selection is estate harvested and carefully produced. Delicate pear and floral notes backed by toasty almond present themselves upfront. On the palate, one finds lively citrus, toast and apple flavours with a creamy mid-palate and soft finish.

White Wines:
Olivet Lane Chardonnay

Chardonnay Grapes
The Olivet Lane Estate was established in the Russian River valley with a focus on growing Chardonnay and Pinot Noir in the much-envied climate of the Russian River Valley. This Chardonnay exhibits beautiful mineral tones with tasty Golden Delicious apple flavours. The wine is well balanced, making it a great compliment to many types of food. A clean finish on the palate makes you want to take just one more sip.

Line 39 Sauvignon Blanc
Sauvignon Blanc Grapes
Lake County, California is famous for growing Sauvignon Blanc grapes, and Line 39 does a wonderful job expressing this varietal. This wine does not disappoint, with its grassy characters on the nose and vibrant aromas of grapefruit and lemon. On the palate, flavours of grapefruit, lime and lemon are balanced by bright, crisp acidity on the finish.

Red Wines:
181 Merlot

Merlot Grapes
The red soils of Clay Station Vineyard in Lodi, California, are similar to the red soils of Pemerol, Bordeaux, and provide a perfect environment in which to grow the 181 Merlot grape clone. This particular grape clone created wines with concentrated flavours and subtle tannins. This wine is a classic Bordeaux-style Merlot, elegantly opening with aromas of black cherry, vanilla and toasty spice. The palate offers fresh fruit flavours of currant and cherry that gently complement the spicy cedar and vanilla.

Pellegrini Family Blend Red
Zinfandel, Merlot, Carignan Grapes
The Pellegrini “Family Blend” was created with the intent of offering a great bottle of wine that could be enjoyed every day. To accomplish this task they eliminated two important barriers: restrictions on blending and restrictions on vintage. This wine is a vibrant and deeply coloured black cherry red. The nose exhibits an abundance of red fruit characters layered beneath fall spices and lively toasted oak. The palate is richly textured with fine tannins for structure and weight. There are hints of Cabernet-like current flavours, ripe strawberries, and a long finish reminiscent of cherry pie.

Dessert Wine:
Graham’s Six Grapes Port NV
Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Amarela and Tinta Cao Grapes
Six Grapes is one of Graham’s original trademarks, symbolizing the careful selection of grapes from which this eloquent Port is made. Mellowed by several years of aging in wood, it remains heavy, sweet, ruby-red wine of rich texture, with blackberries and plum flavours, Fine Port is the quintessential dessert wine.

Beverages:
Spirits:

Absolut Vodka
Beefeater Dry Gin
Bacardi Rum

Whiskeys:
Canadian Club Reserve Blended Whisky
Dewar’s White Label Scotch Whisky
Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch
Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey
Jim Beam Black Bourbon

Beers:
Heineken, Amstel Light and select U.S. Beers

Brandy and Liqueurs:
Disaronno Amaretto
Baileys Irish Cream
Kahlua
Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Fine Champagne Cognac

Other Beverages:
Carbonated Beverages
Still and Sparkling Water
Java City 100% Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee
Nescafe decaffeinated coffee
Tea
Fruit Juices
Milk

The dinner service started a little later with the crew member setting the
table with a blue cloth and then the tray was laid out with just a butter plate and charger on it.
Then the starter was presented. I opted for more US red wine in the form of the Merlot but it was not up to the standard of the Arrowood I had been drinking earlier.
Bread was offered and refills of wine and more bread offered throughout the meal. After the start plate was removed I was offered the salad prepared at my seat from the cart. I went with the mozzarella and tomato accompaniments but declined the chicken. Of course the balsamic dressing was the order of the day.
Salad gone it was time for the putrid muck that I chose for the main course. The vegetables and mash were quite edible but the steak, albeit tender, tasted like stewed meat that had painted grill marks on it. Not at all the same standard as the beef dish I had earlier in the day.

Finally after the tray was removed it was time for the Sundae ritual on AA First. I chose the butterscotch with no added fat i.e. whip and no nuts.
When I was done with the dinner it was getting close to 5am local London time so I was kinda sorta stuffed. I dozed for most of the rest of the flight whilst listening to my ipod.

Later in the flight amongst my nodding off I smelt the sweet aroma of freshly baked cookies. A while later almond or chocolate chip cookies were offered along with milk. I went with a choc chip sans milk.

We hit some quite severe turbulence on approach to JFK as a thunderstorm raged about us. This sort of woke me up somewhat. I noticed Mr Flay gripping the seat arm on my side of the seat, so I guess it took him by surprise as well.
I have never encountered such bumpy conditions for such a long time as I did this flight. The captain eventually came and on announced that ATC had closed JFK whilst the storm cell passed and had us in a holding pattern in the middle of it. Joy!

We finally touched down at 00:35 and taxied to our gate. The pilot missed the gate and we had to be connected to the tug, pushed back and towed forward until we reached the gate properly. I was first off the plane and made my down to the baggage area where I needed to wait around 10 minutes for the bags to appear. Mine was the first bag down the chute. I said ‘I win’ in my head, grabbed my bag and made it up to the airtrain to Federal Circle.

I called the Sheraton JFK and asked for a shuttle to be sent. I went down to the waiting area and stood in the freezing cold bitter wind. After about 10 minutes a Courtyard van appeared and collected some people. He asked where I was headed and said he couldn’t help me. Half an hour later he showed up again with no one to pick up he took pity on me and dropped me off at the Sheraton who still hadn’t bothered to send the bus. Last time you do that to me.

Next up New CX J.

The Photos

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm
Old Apr 13, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Yes! I've been waiting for your New CX J review Moomba. Please upload it soon! Looking forward to it!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: FT
mee too....
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
So, did Bobby Flay partake of the meal and, if so, what did he eat?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
It's good to see you're still addicted Moomba.

The only help you need it seems is shouting at the Mac In which case, get hold of a new card reader.

Great writing as usual.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b-kpf
Yes! I've been waiting for your New CX J review Moomba. Please upload it soon! Looking forward to it!
Originally Posted by mkjr
mee too....
On its way soon.

Originally Posted by PresRDC
So, did Bobby Flay partake of the meal and, if so, what did he eat?
Didn't even accept the menu. Drank Sparkling wine the whole way and surfed using gogo

Originally Posted by Kevincm
It's good to see you're still addicted Moomba.

The only help you need it seems is shouting at the Mac In which case, get hold of a new card reader.

Great writing as usual.
Thanks Kevin.

Not sure if you were hinting at how I should upload files but you triggered my synapses enough to figure out another way how to this. Photos now available.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Part 8 JFK-HKG

The Photos

I managed to sleep until 08:00 when I got up and pottered about my room checking emails etc. I grabbed some breakie in the form of a couple of Nature Valley bars and a banana from the lounge. I checked out just before noon and caught the shuttle to T7 at JFK.

Check-in at the premium desks was a barren wasteland and I was dealt with in double time. The agent informed me of an hour delay due to late incoming.
The short cut security queue was not open and I was forced to mix with the civilians. The wait was short and no beeps or farts occurred in the process and I was soon heading upstairs to the BA Gold Card holder lounge.

The lounge had the usual perfunctory excuse of food in the form of some dried out sandwich fingers, fruit, crisps and alcohol. The bubbly was Verve but I decided against this and went with the Laughing Magpie.

Oh what joy another 3 hour wait in a lounge in some airport lounge. Am I finally getting tired of this? Nah.

Eventually it was time to head out to the gate with a bit of a wander around the terminal to stretch my legs. At the gate another 15 minute delay was posted. Eventually they started boarding the wheelchair set followed by young’uns. They then started with the F, J and OW elites.

As there was only one jet bridge the benefit of priority boarding was all but negated with having to queue in the bridge whilst the myriad of chillen’ were boarded.

Flight CX0831 JFK-HKG Seat 11A
Aircraft: 777-300
Departure time: 14:55

I was escorted to my seat and took the opportunity to take a few snaps before the front mini cabin filled up. The crewmember took my jacket and then offered OJ, Water or Bubbly.

A CX tech guy was observing the cabin as we loaded and said to me you are probably only the 4th person to sit in that seat, as this is a brand new aircraft.

The new CX seat is much roomier around the shoulders and there is much more legroom and feet space. The seat is angled towards the window so you get to look out two windows now. The armrest at the aisle retracts to give even extra space. There is a nifty storage cupboard that contains the headset and enough room for other items such as book, wallet, camera, notebook etc. There is a shoe locker at the foot of the armrest on the aisle side.
I was very impressed with the increased sense of space that this new seat had. It is still very private as it is angled away from the middle seats and the wing at head level blocks any view to your seat neighbour. I could only see his feet when I turned my head in that direction. The side table at the seat is huge and has plenty of room to rest a laptop and any other articles you may wish to take out during the flight.

Sitting in the seat was very reminiscent of the BA or QF older F seats. The only thing that is different is that the seat well of the seat behind eats into your elbow room on the window side. The seat controls and IFE controller are in this section beside and forward of your shoulder. There are lot of fine little finish items that most people wouldn’t notice.
The different patterns of material are all quite subtle and even the panel on the bulkhead in front of me was reflected on the crockery during the dinner service. Also some of the materials had a padded backing which made them quite soft to the touch. This was evident on the material around the edge of the seat on the ‘wings’ and also the foot well.
Although the seat was made mostly of plastic there was abundant use of material coverings to take the clinical edge off, something the BA’s new J fails to do. Ok enough about the seat. On with the report.

A hot towel was handed out on the ground and the ISM announced a flight time of 15 hours and 30 minutes.
We pushed back at 16:20 and taxied down to the end of the runway. The captain did his announcements and confirmed the flight time and a take off time of around 10 minutes given the queue ahead. We took off at 16:50.

Once airborne a while the crew were out distributing amenity kits along with menus and a survey form about the new J seat. Along with this was a 5USD duty free discount coupon.

The ISM made a visit to my seat and welcomed me back to CX. A drinks round commenced the meal service along with a small bowl of nuts. The meal service then commenced. The whole CX J experience has changed with this new re-fit. New tablecloths, new crockery and cutlery and new glassware.
On offer for lunch today was:

Lunch
Starters:

Balik style salmon with nori, miso mayonnaise and marinated fennel

Caesar Salad

Main Courses:
Chicken with chilli vinegar sauce, egg fried rice with kalian

Grilled beef tenderloin with chanterelle mushroom demi glace, chateau potatoes, green bean with carrot roll

Pan-seared sea bass with lemon oil, roasted rosemary new potatoes and sautéed spinach with onion

Rigatoni with gorgonzola cheese sauce and mixed vegetables

Cheese and Dessert:
Cambozola, Cheddar, Chaumes

Fresh seasonal fruit

White chocolate mousse cake with black berry coulis

Tea and Coffee

Praline

Wine List:
Champagne:
Champagne Deutz, Brut Classic

This award winning champagne features lovely aromas and flavours of pear and citrus fruit. Layered with toasted hazelnut, honey and sweet vanilla notes, the wine is balanced by refreshing acidity with a long, lingering finish. It is a perfect aperitif and goes well with delicate dishes.

White Wines:
Geyser Peak Alexander Valley Chardonnay 2008

The Chardonnay grapes for this wine were carefully selected form the cooler regions of the Alexander Valley, California. The aromas of tropical fruit, baked apple notes and undertones of butterscotch and toast on the nose follow through beautifully to the palate. The crisp finish makes it a perfect match for a wide variety of dishes.

Drouet Freres Le Mont Fleuri Sancerre 2009
The Sancerre region of France is located in the Loire Valley. White Sancerre wine is made from the Sauvignon Blanc grape. This ‘Le Mont Fleuri’ offers vibrant green apple, stone fruits and citrus notes with hints of mineral and spice. The palate displays well crafted fruit flavours. It is refined and elegant. Enjoy this wine with appetizers or fish dishes.

Red Wines:
Estancia Paso Robles Meritage Reserve 2007

Estancia’s vineyards are located in the acclaimed appellation of Paso Robles, California. The 2007 Meritage is a rich and complex wine. It offers intense flavours of black cherries, framed by dusty tannins providing an elegant lingering finish. This wine would perfectly complement any beef or lamb dish.

Chateau Rocher Corbin Montagne-Saint-Emilion 2004
Montagne-Saint-Emilion (AOC) is situated in the right bank of the Dordogne River. The 2004 Chateau Rocher Corbin is a blend of 85% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Cabernet Franc grapes. It is well structured, with flavours of black fruits and mocha. It goes very well with red meat dishes.

Port:
Dow’s Late Bottled Vintage Port 2005

This wine is sourced from the same vineyards that in exceptional years product Dow’s renowned Vintage Ports. It is aged solely in oak casks and bottled 5 to 6 years after the harvest. It is a full rich Port with spicy fruit flavours and an elegant aromatic nose, well rounded on the palate and has the traditional Dow’s drier finish. This makes it one of the finest Late Bottled Vintage Ports available.

Aperitifs and Cocktails:
Gin, Rum, Vodka, Martini Rosso, Martini Extra Dry, Campari, Sweet and Dry Sherry, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver

Whiskies:
Chivas Regal 12 Years Old, Johnnie Walker Gold Label, Jack Daniel’s, Canadian Club

Cognac:
Hine ‘Rare and Delicate’ Fine Champagne

Liqueurs:
Drambuie, Cointreau, Bailey’s Irish Cream

Beer:
International selection

CX Signature Drinks:
Cathay Delight

A kiwifruit based non-alcoholic drink with coconut juice and a touch of fresh mint

Pacific Sunrise
A refreshing combination of champagne and Drambuie with the zest of orange and lemon.

Drink List:
Juices:

orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks:
Coke Zero, Coke, Coke Light, Sprite, Perrier water, tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coffees:
freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte regular or decaffeinated

Teas:
Hong Kong style milk tea
Ceylon, Japanese, jasmine
organic selection: camomile, earl grey and peppermint

Hot Chocolate

The meal tray was delivered with the salad and starter on board already. Wine was offered shortly afterwards. I started with the Sancerre. When it was time for the main I decided to try the beef to see how CX would handle this choice of meal. With this I went with the US red that again was quite a nice drop.

The meal was excellent with the steak being tender and flavourful although rather meagre in proportions. This was followed by the offer of fruit and cheese of which I sampled the cheddar and blue and was talked into a glass or Port as well.

Finally dessert came around on the trolley and it looked too good to pass up. I finished the meal with a glass of Cointreau. A small hazelnut chocolate was delivered to my seat after the meal. A hot towel was passed out at the conclusion of the service.

The lights were turned out in the cabin; it was only 20:15 NYC time. It was the equivalent am time in HKG though.

I watched a couple of episodes of family guy and then succumbed to sleep.
I set the seat into full flat mode and snuggled down under the duvet for one of the best sleeps I have had on a plane. The seat is very long and I had ample room to turn over without getting tied in knots. I slept for a good six hours before waking. I was able to sleep on my back and on my side in the semi foetal position and had no trouble with the seat accommodating my legs (I am 6’ 2” tall).

I set the IFE to display the flight path and continued to listen to the playlist I had stored earlier. This has to be one of the best features of the newer IFE systems where you can still listen to your favourite music whilst watching the flight path. It really annoys me with systems such as BA’s where as soon as you switch to the map mode the music reverts to one of the radio channels.

I was feeling peckish about 4.5 hours out and decided to grab a bite.

On offer for snacks was:
Snacks:
Barbecued duck in noodle soup

Shrimp salad in mini baguette

Vegetable samosa with mint cucumber yoghurt sauce

Hagen-Daaz Ice Cream

I couldn’t resist the bowl of the noodles with duck. It did not come with the usual killer sauce though, which was a little disappointing.
I listened to more music and watched the seat map gradually show us flying over Russia, Mongolia and on over China. At 2 hours and 45 minutes out the lights gradually came up and a hot towel service was made.

Dinner:
Starter:

Fresh seasonal fruit

Main Courses:
Stir-fried beef in oyster sauce, steamed jasmine rice and choy sum with carrot

Grilled jumbo tiger prawns with saffron sauce, linguine with carrots and grilled peppers

Gnocchi with semi-dried tomato sauce, sautéed mushroom and Parmesan cheese

Cheese and Dessert:
Brie, Manchego, Taleggio

Mixed berry mascarpone cake with raspberry coulis

Tea and Coffee

My table was set for the second meal.
The food on this flight has been really rather good. It has been my experience that CX food had gone the way of other airlines and was slowly creeping downhill. I hope this flight is sign of things to come.

The linguine was delicious although it only had 2 jumbo prawns in it I was still sated after the meal. The mascarpone cake for dessert was wickedly delicious.

After the meal was cleared another hot towel was handed out.

I listened to my music and watched the flight map until it was time to get ready for landing. I packed up my gear and stowed it in the overhead making sure I checked the new storage area for any items.

We touched down at 20:00 and it was a short taxi to the gate. This meant a long walk to the immigrations counters though. The queues were long but not massive and I cleared in around 15 minutes. My bag was already doing the rounds on the belt. I headed on out through customs and walked down on to a waiting airport express train. At 21:15 I was checking in at the Sheraton HKG.

I just checked my FlightMemory and it seems this has been my longest ever flight in terms of time in the air. I am not complaining.

After this long flight in this seat I think I can honestly say that if CX flew every route I ever took, with this seat, I would never choose to fly with anyone else. My only minor complaint, if I had to make one, would be that my left wing felt a little restricted but hey it is not First is it!

My next three flights will be with CX but the old coffin configuration which will be a great let down after this experience.

I’ll be back soon…

The Photos

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Awesome Moomba! Is this the first TR featuring the new CX J on FT? I don't remember seeing one on A.net either. Well done!

The new cabin looks great in the flesh, a huge step up from the old one (which I actually quite like).

It will be interesting to see how the new compares with the old on your next flights.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Awesome Moomba! Congrats on being the first to post on FT and a.net! The new J looks great. Now I'm tempted to book a ticket to try it out!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan, UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles
The chocolate mouse cake was light enough to enjoy after such a hefty meal and the wine unctuous and sweet.
I'm really nitpicking here, and honestly it doesn't bother me, but I sincerely hope you didn't eat chocolate mouse cake
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthandy
Awesome Moomba! Is this the first TR featuring the new CX J on FT? I don't remember seeing one on A.net either. Well done!

The new cabin looks great in the flesh, a huge step up from the old one (which I actually quite like).

It will be interesting to see how the new compares with the old on your next flights.
Originally Posted by b-kpf
Awesome Moomba! Congrats on being the first to post on FT and a.net! The new J looks great. Now I'm tempted to book a ticket to try it out!
Thanks guys. I didn't realise this was the first. Someone posted pictures of the cutlery and crockery in the CX forum already.

Originally Posted by wbasc
I'm really nitpicking here, and honestly it doesn't bother me, but I sincerely hope you didn't eat chocolate mouse cake
Ah yes unless it was shaped like a mouse and made of chocolate I wouldn't be too impressed with getting that set before me. Thanks for the correction I have rectified the post. That is the problem with auto spell checkers they can sometimes choose the wrong word with unfortunate consequences.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:39 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
The agent welcomed me inside and I found a position near the window. First up was the obligatory glass of bubbly. I was most disappointed to see that the Taittinger Comtes de Champagne was no longer available and I had to make do with a choice of either Cattier Clos du Moulin or the Bruno Paillard Rose. The first is a rough experiment in how to make champagne taste like cat urine, so I went for the ever reliable Paillard Rose.

CCR was serving the same cat urine option last week as the only champagne... I sincerely hope BA is running their supplies out before investing in something more suitable - couldn't agree with you more on both - the BP Rose is a trusty horse in the BA lounges to pleasantly elevate the spirits

I then fired up my laptop and connected to the interweb thingy to check my emails. Oh look is that an email from Mindperl. Ah yes my next RTW was ticketed this morning. Repeat after me. Moomba has a serious addiction. Moomba needs help.
And thank god for that! I am addicted to Moomba's TR's and have been going through withdrawal for a while now...

I had intended to drop in to the AA lounge en-route the gate but left it too late and just powerwalked up to the gate 44 lounge where the flight was leaving.
That's not so bad - AAFL is pretty horrendous and just involves consumption of more wasted calories...

Flying LHR-LAX-JFK - the good old days when I had time to do that... I miss flying for the sake of flying, no better way to spend the hours...

glad to have you back in the skies Moomba!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.