Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some observations flying LX F ZRH-JFK/LH F JFK-FRA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Some observations flying LX F ZRH-JFK/LH F JFK-FRA

I flew ARN-NYC last week and managed to grab a seat in F on both LX and LH using US Dividend miles. Those of you who follow the discussion about redeeming Dividend miles on LX/LH TATL will know it has become something of a sport finding either US sales agents and/or US computers able to find F inventory. However, I was lucky.

I chose to fly ARN-ZRH via FRA in order to maximize value and start the F experience nicely in the FCT in FRA. On the return journey I chose the late-night service out of JFK so I could eat dinner in the F class part of the Senator lounge there.

The FCT and FCLs in FRA have been described at lengths before, not least by fellow Swedish traveller jacob_m, so I will not go into detail about that here. Other than saying that it is (still) a superb facility with unusual folksy attitude from some of the LH staff and great food even for breakfast. The seating is starting to see some wear and tear, but hopefully LH will take care of that in good German manner.

The FCL in ZRH is not on par with the FCT/FCLs in FRA in many respects, most notably when it comes to food and drink offerings. Beforehand I had read that there would be an a la carte lunch menu in the lounge, but was disappointed to hear that they only had the usual hot buffet items.
Usually there are La Praire products in the restrooms, but not this time. Hopefully this is not a permanent issue.

Some buffet offerings

After spending a couple of hours in the lounge, myself and two other F passengers were taken to the E terminal by car 40 minutes before departure. Being driven to the E terminal currently implies two security checks, but we were told that from December this year there will only be one security check .

A nice way to leave the main terminal at Kloten...

ZRH-JFK LX014
A/C: A330-300, HB-JNJ "Appenzell"
STD: 1:00PM
ATD: 2:00PM

For some reason door 1L was not used for F class...

This A330 is Swiss' newest aircraft and had been in operation for less than a month. When I entered door 2L I was greeted by a cheerful Maitre de Cabine who, when he saw my BP, blinked and said "I guess you know the way!" . I was seated in 2A while the other two passengers were in 1A and 1K. After settling in I was offered the first (of many) glasses of the excellent Laurent-Perrier "Grand Siecle" (this champagne retails for a hefty SEK 1445 (USD 215) in Sweden). This was followed by an amuse bouche, the usual Bally amenity bag, menu, slippers, pyjamas and head phones.

With champagne in hand, I took in the new cabin. The most striking feature is the screen which measures an impressive 23''. The seat itself has a nice upholstery and cushion, but I would consider the old seat to be equally comfortable.

Before take-off the Maitre de Cabine announced that they needed to reset the whole IFE system and that it would not be up and running until 40 minutes (!) after take-off. I entertained myself by deciding what to eat - there were four main courses and one off-the-menu item (Swiss Alpine stuff that I don't recall). Here is the menu...

LUNCH
SWITZERLAND-NORTH AMERICA (LX14/16/22/52/86, Dec10-Feb11)

First Courses
Selection of appetisers:
Tomato tartelette, crayfish coctail with aspargus tips
Smoked halibut and herb crepe roulade
Triangle of mountain lamb and ratatouille
Goat's cheese in marinated pumpkin
-
Fillet of Balik salmon
-
Carrot and orange soup

Salad
Selection from the salad trolley

Main courses
Fillet of beef with sauteed wild mushrooms, cream sauce
Lye bread dumpling and carrots
-
Supreme of poussin with walnut pesto
Potato and kohlrabi ragout, baby carrots
-
Open John Dory and king prawn raviolo with leek
Lobster sauce
-
Mushroom stroganoff with fresh rösti and broccoli
Sour cream
-
Choice of vegetables

Cheese
Selection of Swiss artisan cheese

Desserts
Bündner mountain honey parfait on pistachio cake
Blueberry compote
-
Pineapple tiramisu with sliced pineapple and grenadine seeds
-
Sprüngli chocolates and pralines
Espresso and a selection of coffees and teas

BEFORE LANDING
High tea

A selection of fine teas accompanied by light, sweet and savoury favourites

...and the wines

WINE LIST

SPARKLING WINE/CHAMPAGNE
Laurent-Perrier Grand Siècle

WHITE WINE
Fläscher Riesling Sylvaner, Weingut Davaz, 2009
Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons, Domaine Servin, 2007
Chardonnay Red Label, Newton Vineyard, 2008

RED WINE
Pinot Noir Selection, Weinbau Manfred Meier, 2009
La Chapelle de la Mission Haut-Brion, 2005
Allomi Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Hess Collection Winery, 2007

DESSERT WINE
Sauternes Cru Barréjats, SCEA Barréjats, 2004

PORT
Grahams Tawny, Symington Family Estates, 20 years

The usual slow Airbus climb out of Kloten was nice as it was all clear skies. As soon as the seat belt sign was switched off one of FAs came by to take food orders. She started talking in a very unsturdy English, so when I replied in German, she went all "das ist WUNDERBAR!" She went on to say that as of March there would be a new service concept with new tableware matching the wooden sideboards. I wonder if this will mean some kind of wooden underplates replacing the Swissair-era doilies...

The starters were as usual very nice and I had extra helpings of Balik salmon. To go with the starters I had more champagne after having tasted the Chablis.

The salad trolley then followed, and soon also the fillet of beef. Not an original choice, but I was not very keen on the other items. The beef was what most people will call rare, and I simply had to hand it back and ask for it to be adjusted to a medium. I found the whole thing strange - firstly I had not been asked how I wanted it to be prepared, and secondly it seemed the steward was unsure in what state the steak was in when she handed it to me. Anyway, some ten minutes later it came back and was reasonable but far from excellent. To go with the beef I tasted all three red wines, but ended up with the Cabernet Sauvignon.

A simple but nice sallad

The beef was first served rare, then medium to well done

Then the cheese cart was rolled out - I had the Gruyere, Brie and some really fabulous Andeerer Traum. To go with that I had a glass of Sauternes. The desserts were then presented to me, and I chose the one with pistachio parfait and blueberry compote. It was ok - nothing more. The FA must have sensed my thoughts and soon presented me with the box of Sprüngli pralines. "I leave it here so you can the choose the ones you like". How nice of her. I had three...then one more...and then some haha. The small beauties were washed down with Macallan Fine Oak single malt 18 years and a much needed espresso.

I should have had more of the Andeerer Traum...

A somewhat underwhelming dessert

A cup of hot tea and the final batch of Sprüngli pralines

All in all the meal service was enjoyable, but maybe not top-notch.

I went to the tiny restroom to freshen up - how come LX haven't found a little more space for a bigger restroom in First?? It is about half the size of the rather wonderful SK C restroom that I am used to. The LX restroom comes with some nice wooden panelling, good lighting, polished surfaces and La Praire hand creme and face spray, but the remaining impression is that it is too small for being First.

Back in my seat the FA came and suggested she turn down the neighbouring seat in case I wanted some sleep. Ja, danke schön. The seat went flat. Or did it? When lying down it did not feel very comfortable and I actually chose to raise the back seat somewhat in order to find a good sleeping position.

I managed to get about an hour or so of sleep, but then thought it would be good to snuggle up in bed testing the IFE with some champagne. The FA also handed me some heated (!) strawberry Mövenpick. The ice cream was all sloppy, but I did not bother asking for a new. I half-watched some films and played around with the screen's different features. I thought it was brilliant. Easy to use, clear LED-like picture and sufficient size.

Some 90 minutes before landing it was time for a snack - or "high tea" as it is called by LX. On offer were some small sandwiches, a truffle cream quiche, leftover soups/salads and some sweet bites. Plus tea of course. I had secretly hoped for some warm scones with clotted cream, but guess I will have to fly out of London to get that. I had soup, grapes, some petit fours, the peppermint tea and two more glasses of the "Grand Siecle". I also tasted the quiche but IMO the truffle cream was too overwhelming. Or maybe the champagne was having its effect on me...

The arrival at JFK T4 was smooth, but unlike one HON passenger in F I had to stand in line for passport control. I was explained that US authorities only can/will make exceptions for HON. Oh well, the experience in LX new F could have ended better, but I was nonetheless satisfied.

Last edited by SthlmFlyer; Mar 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:17 pm

Thanks for the report thus far!
Well done.

I will guess that you prefer LX over LH, but I'll see in your next portion.....................
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:38 am
Original Poster

JFK-FRA LH405
A/C: B747-400
STD: 9:45PM
ATD: 9:40PM

I arrived at JFK some three hours before departure as I wanted to have drinks and proper dinner in the F class part of the Senator lounge. Check-in and security were done in a matter of minutes as JFK T1 was very quiet this Monday evening. The LH lounges at JFK are situated straight after security, and I was soon in the elevator up to the F class mezzanine overlooking the Senator lounge.

Entrance

Overlooking the Senator lounge

This is not a FCL allá FRA or MUC, neither in scale nor facilities, but rather a cosy retreat with plenty of drinks and food. Showers and restrooms are found downstairs in the Senator lounge. There are 8-10 armchairs and a self-service bar in on end of the mezzanine, and a buffet and some ten tables in the other end. During my stay only one other passenger joined me, so the atmosphere felt genuinely exclusive. The catering is taken care of by Do&Co as in FRA, and with an extensive drinks menu, there is every bit of chance having a nice dining experience. I enjoyed a champagne coctail, some hot and cold appetizers from the buffet, a made-to-order steak with truffle oil sprinkled sallad, Apfelstrudel with thick (!) custard, fruit, and a glass of Shiraz. It was in fact very tasty.

View of the buffet area

After dinner I moved to one of the armchairs in the lounge area and made myself a g&t. The reading material in the lounge consisted of German newspapers only. I was explained they had not received any newspapers in English that day... No big deal - I had my new Macbook Air to play with, and the free WiFi was quick enough for some e-mailing and browsing. The lounge offers some nice panoramic views of the tarmac and I could therefore follow the preparations for LH405 at gate 4. At 9:15 the flight was called and I left the lounge once again impressed by the LH F class on-ground product.

Small lounge area with self service bar in the background

Last edited by SthlmFlyer; Mar 3, 2011 at 1:58 pm
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

This was my first time on the upper deck - on my previous travels in LH F I have only flown A340s. Although the current atmosphere is nice, at least when the cabin is not full, I believe LH will have a fantastic product once the new seating and beds are rolled out. The load was light with six out of 16 seats occupied. I had in fact row 83 all to myself.

I was greeted by a very service-minded FA and served a glass of Devaux champagne. This was a mild disappointment as I had anticipated the Charles Heidsieck "Rare". Then one of the two pursers came by to say hello and present tonight's menu. I had eaten in the lounge some three hours earlier, so I was starting to feel peckish. There were indeed some items on the menu that sounded tasty.

DREAMER'S DELIGHT

Cold Gourmet Plate
Roasted Corn Flan, Mushroom Escabeche, Herb Chicken Breast with Frisée Salad

or

Hot Specialty
Parsnip and Chestnut Soup with crispy Chorizo

Cheese and Dessert
Camembert, Manchego and Gorgonzola Cheese

Panna Cotta served with Vanilla roasted Pineapple and Rum Jus

MENU

Choice of Hors d'oeuvres
Caviar with the traditional Garnishes

Salmon with Bulgur Wheat, Avocado and Pomegranate Salad

Soy glazed New York Strip Steak with green Onion Skewers

Roasted Corn Flan, Mushroom Escabeche and Frisée Salad

Salad
Seasonal Salad with red Cherry Tomatoes and Parmesan Cheese presented with Dressing

Choice of Main Courses
Tenderloin of Beef, Asparagus, Polonaise Mix and Cabbage Potato Croquet

Seared Cod Fillet, Curry Lentils, wilted Sherry Spinach

Mustard rubbed Chicken with Sage Beurre Blanc, Mushroom and Cauliflower Hash

Spinach and Ricotta Canneloni with roasted Bell Pepper Coulis

Selection of Cheese and Dessert
Humboldt Fog, Camembert, Manchego, Gorgonzola, and Vella Jack Cheese

Cinnamon Plum Crumble with Ice Cream

Panna Cotta, Vanilla roasted Pineapple, Rum Jus and brown Sugar Sable Cookie

VINOTHEK

Champagne
"D" de Delvaux Brut, Champagne Veuve Devaux

Monthly Proposal
2006 Dao Reserva, Casa de Santar, Portugal

White wine
2009 "Semper Vivum" Riesling Spätlese trocken, Weingut Motzenbäcker, Germany
2007 Chateau de Rully, Rully Premier Cru, Antonin Rodet, France
2009 Rueda Verdejo, Bodegas Aura, Spain

Red wine
2003 Chateau Belgrave, Cru Classé, Haut-Médoc, France
2005 "Spiga" Ribera del Duero, Bodegas O. Fournier, Spain

Dessert wine
2008 Huxelrebe Beerenauslese, Bioweingut Lorenz, Germany

I chose to have all appetizers including the caviar, then some chicken and finally the cinnamon crumble. I was impressed by the appetizers while the main course and crumble were far from spectacular. The wine list was as usual on LH a mix of interesting and utterly boring - I tend to choose the riesling, the monthly proposal and the dessert wine on LH as I find these offer the best value. The riesling was both crispy and juicy and went well with the appetizers. My steward suggested I have the "Spiga" to go with the chicken as the monthly proposal would be too heavy. I tasted both and he was absolutely right. I really appreciated his way of serving me and could only say yes when he offered the dessert wine, which was excellent. After the meal I ordered some peppermint tea which was served together with three "Good Night" truffles. This made me wonder if the pralines are served on day/early evening flights and/or out of Germany only.

It was time to get some sleep and I reclined my seat to almost fully flat - I actually find that a small recline is more comfortable in these seats. I slept for some three hours and was woken up by the steward some 45 minutes before landing. I had pre-ordered the "fitness breakfast" consisting of fruit, müsli, fresh orange juice and an espresso. It was served within minutes. I was also offered pastries and preserves, but instead opted to have extra fruit. I also knew that there would a nice lunch in the FCT later.

Last edited by SthlmFlyer; Mar 4, 2011 at 1:17 am
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Selection of Cheese and Dessert
Humboldt Fog, Camembert, Manchego, Gorgonzola, and Vella Jack Cheese

super impressed that they had humboldt fog - its not cheap and one of my favorite cheeses - almost non-traditional for lufti ...
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SthlmFlyer
This was my first time on the upper deck - on my previous travels in LH F I have only flown A340s. Although the current atmosphere is nice, at least when the cabin is not full,
You hit the nail on the head with that comment.....my LH F flight was on a busy 747. It was not a premium experience. The cabin was full, service slow but thankfully I had the wife sitting inches away from me as a seat neighbour and not a complete stranger.

I won't be back until they get the new seating installed....what they have now is a disgrace.
Great report. ^
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: SK *B (?)
Originally Posted by SthlmFlyer
Each passenger get their own personal microwave oven?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by lnixon
Each passenger get their own personal microwave oven?
LOL
Old May 1, 2011, 2:52 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan, UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles
SthlmFlyer, are you planning on finishing this? I'm really curious to know how your FCT experience was! Cheers.
Old May 1, 2011, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
thanks for the tr! I am hoping to snag a seat in LX F on an upcoming trip, so this really helped me see what I should expect

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.