Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One night in Bangkok and, ay, a flight to HEL in biz

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jacob_m
Many thanks for the report of an airline that has been very little covered here! ^

A bit of a shame we never got to see the main meal after the departure.
Any idea of the quality of the food in Finnair longhaul C? (breakfast is pretty much the same everywhere)
I have generally been pleased with the meals served in J on Finnair long hauls. Especially fish tend to be pretty tasty ex-Helsinki. I also like to soup which is served before the main course. I usually fly long haul either Finnair or British Airways and in my opinion Finnair has better food offerings in business class. I have posted a few Finnair long haul menus in Finnair Plus forum.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Many thanks for the report of an airline that has been very little covered here! ^

A bit of a shame we never got to see the main meal after the departure.
Any idea of the quality of the food in Finnair longhaul C? (breakfast is pretty much the same everywhere)
Thanks and I'm sorry I missed the meal! Hope you get some idea about it from the menu.

Ps. As said, I have really enjoyed your trip reports, jacob_m! I wish I could fly in premium cabins as often.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Menu

Here is a retype of the Dinner menu as it as a bit hard to read from the picture:

Dinner
Chicken breast salad
Creamy vegetable soup
Seasonal salad
Grilled beef tenderloin with
paprika butter sauce
or
Stir-fried shrimps and scallops with
oyster sauce and fried egg rice
or
Penne pasta with pesto and tomato sauces
Emmenthal and Danish blue cheese
Brioche pudding
Ice cream selection
Fazer Nordic Gourmet chocolates
Fresh fruit

Yumm, could have some of that now!
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for a very nice report, tsastor. Like many here who view meal service as a form of inflight entertainment, we'll miss those pictures and descriptions of the main meal and portions. Then again, with the possible exception of Argentines and Spaniards, who wants to eat dinner at 1:00am?

I look forward to your next report!
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks for a very nice report, tsastor. Like many here who view meal service as a form of inflight entertainment, we'll miss those pictures and descriptions of the main meal and portions. Then again, with the possible exception of Argentines and Spaniards, who wants to eat dinner at 1:00am?
Hey, thanks a lot Seat 2A! I certainly don't normally overlook the meal service in business class, however with the delays the dinner was more like 2:00am + there were some reasons I really wasn't hungry. So now I will be remembered as the guy who in his first trip report cared neither about the IFE nor the meals in biz!
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I look forward to your next report!
Thanks, I promise that in my next trip report I will include meal pictures and moreover I will use a proper camera as well!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Thanks for the TR, interesting reading! Probably we'll see more about the meals and IFE next time The new full flat seat looks good, hopefully all their widebodies get those soon...

Any idea of the quality of the food in Finnair longhaul C?
I took the liberty to add a few photos of AY Business Class meals, on NRT-HEL Nov 2009, a great japanese style lunch, very tasty:

http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/25...600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/46...600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/44...600x600Q85.jpg
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andaman
Thanks for the TR, interesting reading! Probably we'll see more about the meals and IFE next time
He-he, don't expect any reviews of blockbuster movies. But thanks, and I already promised to add some meal pictures the next time I have something to report. Seems that these pictures have been missed by many. And thanks Andaman for adding your own ones! Based on your handle maybe you've been to Thailand a lot?

Last edited by tsastor; Feb 13, 2011 at 1:24 pm
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by tsastor
Based on your handle maybe you've been to Thailand a lot?
Yes Thailand is the favourite for me & family. And so many wonderful flight options to BKK, if only the family and friends could see the joy of multiple flight legs
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by tsastor
Hi, the name of the lounge is the "Louis Tavern CIP First Class Lounge". No reason to get excited though, it is just a name they have chosen to use. There is no resemblance to a first class lounge of say Lufthansa in Frankfurt or BA in London, as you can probably see from my description. It most probably is the same lounge you used if you used the one closest to the Finnair gate.
Yes of course you are right, but how many really want to eat dinner at 1:00 or 2:00 am anyway? As you noticed from my report I didn't. I should have done the same the Thai lady on the other side of the aisle did who went to sleep immediately after the seatbelt signs were turned off. That said I must admit that the meal service was delayed in J and it may not feel right that the Y cabin was served first.The J crew spoke with us who personally and the PA announcements were made only regarding service in Y. Of course I was only one row in front of the Y cabin, but there is also a galley in between. So I assume that the Y announcements were heard in the entire J cabin.
Of course things could vary on different flights, so here are a few reflections on our experiences:
There are two Louis Tavern Lounges in BKK, one First Class Lounge and one Business Class Lounge. After I was redirected from the BA lounge I tried the LT First class Lounge, but was there directed to the Business Lounge.
Its drink table looked very much the same as on the picture in your TR, but it wasnŽt really close to the AY gate.

I also have a memory of that there were fewer staff attending the J cabin for a period after seatbelt sign was switched off.(But I seriously doubt they would leave a J cabin completely unattended for more than a few minutes.)

And from what I see most pax have meals also on night flights. This has a flight time of just over 11 h IIRC. Normally they switch on the lights about 2 h prior to landing. If you want to sleep 7- 8 h that leaves you with 1-2 hours to kill. Using that time for food and wine is ideal, as this makes you sleepy.

Also remember that far from all J pax are typical 2 week tourists. Many are business people thats been in Asia for short assignments, thus still being very much in European timing, giving those perfect dinner time.

And on my flight there were definetely different PA systems for J and Y. Only the pilots announcements were the same.

But IŽll probably fly this route in March again, and will comeback with my observations after that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.