Wiki Posts
Search

The TR that wasn't going to happen... QF F LHR-MEL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
The TR that wasn't going to happen... QF F LHR-MEL

The trip report that wasn’t going to happen.

As (in my opinion) my TR have become boring of late I decided I wasn’t going to write about this flight back to my home town. But after eating dinner on the plane I decided I needed to once again put pen to paper. So to speak.

As a result of this late decision there are no pictures to accompany this report. So look away now if that is what you venture into the TR forum for.

This flight was for my bi or tri annual trip back to the land of my birth to visit the folks after deserting that country 11 years ago.

As the distance between my new home and my old home is over 12,000 miles it has been prudent of me to burn miles to fly home in J or F. This time it was scheduled to be F on QF my home carrier.

I was able to plan sufficiently far in advance to secure a seat in F on a flight to MEL from LHR in the days leading up to Christmas.

I was even more excited to find that about a month and half out the flight changed from a 747 to a 388. But then the big bang happened and the flight returned to a 747. Oh well, easy come easy go. At least it was still QF First.

Then the big chill occurred in London and LHR proved itself to be the most useless of all Europe’s airports in being incapable of dealing with a few inches of snow.

A friend of a friend got caught up in the brunt of the mess and ending up fly in in Y to Oz instead of the original F booking he had for a few days ago. Needless to say I was eagerly watching the movement of QF aircraft in and out of LHR.
This flight last night was cancelled, as was the night before last. But I did see that the in bound had left Oz yesterday that did bode well for me.

The day of departure arrived and I was able to track progress of the inbound and was very pleased to see it land at LHR that afternoon.
After work I went back home to gather my things and head out to LHR for my 22:00 flight to MEL.

I managed to catch a very empty HEX train at 18:55 which had me rocking up to the check-in desks around 19:20 at terminal 3 at Heathrow.
Outside T3 there were rows of tensile barriers and marquees set up which were relics of the previous few days. However none of these were in use this evening, as it seems they had gotten the pax numbers down to a reasonable number.

The queue for F was longer than the Biz queue. I stood for a few minutes before joining the J queue. Before I made it to the front a QF attired person called me over to the F side where I was checked in before some of the people in the First queue. The check-in agent did the deed and then called over the agent that had pulled me over and said this is Mr Moomba. She looked at me and said you were in the wrong queue. I said but the Biz queue was shorter. She said she had been trolling the queue and bringing the QF pax forward. It seems you only have to queue if you are BA pax!

I made my way up through to Fast track (which should be renamed fast every 10th time you visit, if you are lucky track). It wasn’t too bad but did take over 10 minutes to clear. T3 had instituted the passport controls again so the new FT exit was closed. That lasted a long time!

The duty free store you are forced to go through seems to have gotten bigger but I managed to negotiate my way out the other end and on towards the BA lounge.

In the lounge the BA agent dealt with me perfunctorily and then a QF agent, who spotted the BP welcomed me properly into the lounge and asked if I received an invite to dine there, which I hadn’t. I said I didn’t need one as I presume I would be fed on the plane. She said of course and the food will probably be superior on board. ;-)

Inside I found a seat and grabbed a glass of the Bruno Paillard Pink bubbles and a couple of steak and ale mini pies with some salad.

I pottered around the lounge for a couple of hours and caught up with some work emails.

Around 21:20 I headed up to Gate 1 where my bird was due to fly from.

I waited in the gate lounge for about 5 minutes before boarding of chillen started. Soon after a call was made for First, Bus and OW Emerald to board.
I made my way down to the plane and was directed to my seat in 2K.

QF10
LHR-SIN
747-400
22:00

My coat was taken and I settled in to my seat. I was offered PJs and then given an amenity kit. I was then offered a drink and of course asked for Champagne. I was pleasantly surprised to see a bottle of Taittinger Comtes de Champagne presented before me. I said I had died and gone to heaven, as I love it.

The drinks were delivered with some marinated olives and some cheddar biscuits with artichoke dip.

The flight continued to board and my plate and glass were taken away as departure time neared. The captain came on the horn and stated that we had to wait for the baggage loading to be completed as they were running behind due to the extra load now that the airport was back in full stream. One of the other crew came around offering more bubbles to other pax that still had glasses. I got miffed until my lovely crewmember came along and asked if I would like another glass. Sweet. Never say no to good Champagne that is my motto.

Menus were given out on the ground and when the delay was announced they came around to take orders.
We eventually pushed back around 35 minutes late and taxied out past T5 to the take off runway.
After the belt sign went off I changed into the new QF 90th anniversary PJs before settling in for the flight.

The crew came around and readied my table for dinner including a welcome return of the long overdue metal knives.

As always with Qantas the decision of what to eat is always a tough one. I notice that the menu has changed over the last year. Where one used to choose a protein and then mix and match with an array of accompaniments they have reverted to the more traditional protein with accompaniments all in one on the menu now. I wanted to try everything but had to make a decision. Likewise with the wine I know they will all be good and want to sample the complete set.

LONDON TO SINGAPORE
SUPPER

Our extensive Rockpool designed menu allows you the flexibility to choose from our full menu after take-off or at any time throughout your flight. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to assist you with your selection.

OUR PRODUCE
Tonight’s menu includes Chantenay Carrots originating from France, a delicious heirloom variety now making a resurgence throughout Europe, and ice cream made from organic milk on the renowned biodynamic Laverstoke Park farm in Hampshire, England.

CANAPÉS
Cheddar Biscuits with Artichoke Puree and Marinated Black Olives

ENTRÉES
Parsnip Soup with Mustard and Gruyere
Szechuan Chicken Salad with Celery and Black Fungus

LIGHT MEALS
Lamb, Mint and Pea Pot Pie

Big bowl of Minestrone Soup with Garlic Toasts

Our signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

MAIN COURSES
Seared Stone Bass with Lemon and Thyme Butter, Roast Salsify and Steamed Spinach

Slow Cooked Duck with Prunes, Chantenay Carrots and Creamed Celeriac

SIDE SALAD
Salad of Rocket, Radicchio, Mizuna and Baby Gem with your choice of dressing
Aged Balsamic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Lemon Juice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

CHEESE
Hand selected blue, soft and hard cheese served with accompaniments

DESSERT
St Clements Tart with Double Cream

Classic Rum Baba with Martinique Rum Syrup and Chantilly Cream

Whole or Sliced Fresh Fruit

Laverstoke Park Organic Ice Cream Tubs

PETITS FOURS
A selection of Amedei dark chocolates

Chocolate and Sour Cherry Cookies

Hazelnut and Raspberry Friands

WINE LIST
WHITE WINES

Penfolds Reserve Bin 06A Chardonnay
Adelaide Hills, South Australia
One of Australia’s most famous vineyards produce another great wine. It smells of lemon, nuts, white peach, yeast and clove spice oak – a paradox of wildness and refinement. The palate is incredibly complex, a soft entry followed by spicy French oak and tight grapefruit/sweet lime, finishing long and slightly nutty.

Peter Lehmann Wigan Riesling 2004
Eden Valley, South Australia
The 2004 vintage is held in high regard in the Barossa, giving white wines of excellent regional and varietal character. Named the Wigan, after Chief Winemaker Andrew Wigan, the Wigan Riesling is a testament to his international success. This multiple gold medal winner has the classical Eden Valley lime bouquet and is showing the first hints of toastiness, the result of time in the bottle. The palate is remarkably youthful with fresh racy acidity and a honeyed deepening on the middle palate. Eden Valley Riesling at its finest.

Grosset Semillon Sauvignon Blanc 2010
Clare Valley, South Australia
You’re not going to see many of these blends offered, particularly from Australian wineries. But every once in a while a wine like this comes along and it’s just so good it commands everyone’s attention. The blend is Clare Semillon and Adelaide Hills Sauvignon Blanc and it has always been highly rated by critics and drinkers alike. The 2010 moves it into another class altogether. It displays pure lemon and lime with hints of peach blossom. There’s a textural design element that suggests some time on lees, although it could equally be the understated richness coming through.

RED WINE
John Duval ‘Entity’ Shiraz 2005

Barossa Valley, South Australia
The aim of Entity is to produce a wine true to the Barossa Valley. The John Duval Shiraz is sourced from old vineyards that bare ruddy fruit in the north and eastern districts of the Barossa Valley. The more subtle French oak was chosen to compliment the ripe blackberry, blueberry fruit.

Yabby Lake Vineyard Pinot Noir 2008
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
Inspired by the classic wines of Burgundy, Yabby Lake Vineyard wines are a tribute to the unique Mornington Peninsula terroir, and the skills and experience of the winemaker Tom Carson. This wine exhibits great depth of colour. The bouquet is of ripe black cherry, dark forest berries and Asian spice with perfumed oak aromas. The palate displays a complex array of ripe small berry characters and spicy oak.

Cullen Diana Madeline Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2007
Margaret River, Western Australia
Arguably one of Australia’s top Cabertnets. Cullen’s top Cabernet named in honour of family matriarch Diana Cullen. The vines planted in 1971 are almost 40 years old, giving great concentration to the wine. This wine is typically a blend of Cabernet, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. The result is a deeply coloured wine with great depth of flavour, fine grain tannins and outstanding cellaring potential.

DESSERT WINE
Brown Brothers ‘Patricia’ Noble Riesling 2006
King Valley, Victoria
One of Australia’s most consistent dessert wines. Bright gold, it has an intensity of flavour that explains the plethora of gold medals and trophies; its low alcohol and citrusy acidity are the keys to this wonderful wine.

HOT BEVERAGES
GIANCARLO COFFEE

Caffe Latte
Cappuccino
Grinders Decaffeinated
Espresso
Flat White
Long Black
Mocha
Liqueur Coffee

T2 TEA
Experience the range of beautiful, fragrant loos leaf tea bags from around the world supplied by T2.
English Breakfast – A bland of the finest Sri Lankan full-bodied teas producing a rich well-rounded flavour.
Peppermint – A well-rounded peppermint flavour captures the sweet essence of all things ‘minty’ with a sweet cool, lingering aroma.
Chamomile – Relax and unwind with the fragrant infusion of sweet, golden chamomile flowers.
Sencha – A classic green tea grown in Japan. These beautiful, emerald green leaves produce a sweet, smooth, grassy flavour.
Lemongrass and Ginger – Zesty and bright lemongrass contrasts the spicy flavour of ginger to create a refreshing and wild taste sensation.

Other teas available on request.

HOT CHOCOLATE

BEVERAGES
APERITIFS

Bloody Mary
Campari
Noilly Prat French Dry Vermouth

SPIRITS
Bacardi White Rum
Bundaberg Dark Rum
Bombay Sapphire London Dry Gin
Chivas Regal 18yo Scotch Whisky
The Gelnlivet 18yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108° Bourbon
Wyborowa Single Estate Polish Vodka

BEERS
Hahn Premium Light
Crown Lager
Heineken
James Squire Golden Ale
Little Creatures Pale Ale

LIQUEURS
Baileys Irish Cream
Cointreau

FORTIFIEDS
Penfolds Grandfather Fine Old Liqueur Tawny
Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Tokay
Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Muscat

COGNAC
Martell Cordon Bleu

NON ALCOHOLIC
Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Five Star Sunraysia Mango Juice
Five Star Sunraysia Pear Juice
Spicy Tomato Juice
Tomato Juice
Sparkling Mineral Water
Still Mineral Water
Soda Water
Tonic Water
Bundaberg Ginger Beer
Coca-Cola
Coke Zero
Diet Coke
Ginger Ale
Lemonade
Solo – Lemon Squash

The CSM dropped by to welcome all the passengers in First. She welcomed me back to QF which surprised me as I didn’t think they kept track of non QF FF people. She may of course have just been surmising that I had flown with them before.

Back to the dinner, I started with the parsnip soup accompanied by a lovely Semillon Sauvignon Blanc. After this the main course of duck with prunes, carrots and celeriac puree was served. I switched to a divine Shiraz. After the main I was offered dessert. I asked what the St Clements Tart was and as soon as the crewmember said like a lemon tart I said sold.

With this I decided to try the BB Patricia Noble wine. It was proffered before me and then poured into the glass. It was golden in colour and when I put it to my nose I knew I was in for something special. I don’t know if many of you are into dessert wines but some of the botrytis wines are simply superb. The aroma in itself was luscious and butterscotch like. I just knew this was going to a wine to savour. I was not wrong. Unctuous and luscious and sweet and oh so delectable and the lemon tart (Oranges and Lemons the bells of St Clements) was delicious and went down a treat with the wine.

After I was finished I accepted more dessert wine and the more wine and started to write this report and accepted a little more as it would be a shame to waste it. After finishing a good ¾ of the bottle it was time to shut down and try to get some shuteye.

I asked the crewmember to make up my bed that consisted of a lamb’s wool under blanket covered with a fitted sheet and then a lightweight duvet to sleep under.
I slept quite well for probably around 5 hours with a bit of tossing and turning going on.

About two hours out of Singapore I decided to get up. My bed was cleared away and I was given a menu to peruse the breakfast list.

BREAKFAST
Create your favourite Breakfast from our extensive Rockpool designed menu. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to assist you with your selection.

Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Sunraysia Pear Liquid Fruit
Sunraysia Mango Liquid Fruit
Vanilla and Honey Energizer Drink

Fresh Fruit Salad
Bircher Muesli
Cereal Selection
Yoghurt and Honey

Toast
Croissant
Feta and Sun Dried Tomato Muffin
Strawberry Jam, Orange Marmalade, Honey, Vegemite

Free Range Scrambled Eggs
Laverstoke Park Farm Organic Sausages
Organic Dry Cured Smoked Bacon
H Forman Smoked Salmon
Sweet Onion Relish
Slow Roasted Tomatoes
Potato Cakes
Braised Beans

Hotcakes with Maple Syrup Apples and Clotted Cream

I started with an energizer drink and some fresh fruit salad. This was followed by scrambled eggs and bacon with tomato and the most delicious thing in the air Qantas’ potato cakes, full of flavour and gooey with cheese with a light toastiness to the outside. They really are superb. Coffee was the order of the day this morning and lots of water to ward off the effects of the alcohol excesses from the night before.

We readied for landing and settled down on to Singaporean soil around 19:00 local time.

I made a beeline for the lounge in order to secure a shower before the rush. T1 at Singapore is undergoing refurbishment and my familiar path to the lounge was not so familiar today. I did find the escalator to the lounges and walked in. I was welcomed inside and headed straight for the shower, were I was able to secure one of the two remaining vacant ones.

After freshening up I went into the lounge to sit out the wait. I grabbed a glass of Moss Wood red wine and some nuts whilst attempting, unsuccessfully, to connect to the Internet.

Boarding was called soon enough and I made my way back to the gate. There was a short queue for security where I beeped and needed the hand scanner treatment. Boarding had already commenced and I was able to walk straight on board. I was directed to my seat and my coat and jacket were taken and hung. I was then offered a drink and of course I opted for more of the delicious Comtes de Champagne. I was offered PJs and the crewmember said that he would be back with an amenity kit.

My champagne glass was delivered to the seat along with some almonds. The bottle of nectar of the gods was then presented before me. I said to the crewmember that this has to be my most favourite champagne. He agreed it was indeed a rather quite nice.

My glass was refilled a couple of times before push back.

We made a long taxi and took off to the North before banking around to head to Oz.
After the seat belt sign went off I changed into my PJs and when back at my seat the crew asked what I would like to drink with my canapés. I said I would like some more champagne please. He came back with the canapés and then presented the bottle again. He said I suppose I don’t really need to present this to you do I? I said I had drunk a couple of couples during the preceding flight.

The CSM stopped by for a chat and said we were all lucky to be making it home in time for Christmas. The menus were handed out; more decisions to be made on what to eat. Life is such a chore sometimes.

SINGAPORE TO MELBOURNE
LIGHT DINNER

Our extensive Rockpool designed menu allows you flexibility to choose from our full menu after take-off or at any time throughout the flight. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to assist you with your selection.

OUR PRODUCE
Tonight’s menu includes free range chicken and ice cream from organic milk on the renowned biodynamic Laverstoke Park fram in Hampshire, England.

CANAPÉS
Mozzarella Arancini with Pesto
Chicken Satay with Accompaniments

ENTRÉES
Indonesian Oxtail Broth with Fried Eschallots
Salad of Prawn and Asparagus with Cocktail Dressing

LIGHT MEALS
Big bowl of Chinese Style Barbecue Duck Soup with Shitakes
Penne with Zucchini, Goats Cheese and Basil
Our signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

MAIN COURSES
Seared Salmon with Ginger Sauce, Jasmine Rice and Pak Choy
Roast Free Range Chicken with Sage and Onion, Fondant Potatoes and Green Beans

SIDE SALAD
Salad of Baby Leaves with your choice of dressing
Aged Balsamic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Lemon Juice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Red Wine Vinaigrette

CHEESE
Hand selected blue, soft and hard cheese served with accompaniments

DESSERT
Spiced Date Cake with Poached Pears and Crème Anglaise
Mocha Tart with Almond Praline and Crème Fraiche
Laverstoke Park Organic Ice Cream Tubs
Whole or Sliced Fresh Fruit

PETITS FOURS
A selection of Amedei dark chocolates
Miniature Lime Syrup Cakes
Fig and Nut Biscotti

The crew took my meal order and then proceeded to make ready for the meal. I started with the Prawn and Asparagus salad with which I stayed with the lovely bubbly.
As my glass was re-filled I noticed it had not gone down since the new bottle was last presented before me. I said am I on the only one drinking this and he said “Yes and you know what that means” with a cheeky grin.

After the salad he asked if I would like to wait a bit before starting with my main. I said yes I would wait a bit, after which my champagne glass was filled again.

A small side salad was later placed before me that I nibbled at for a while. The crewmember then asked if I was ready for my sandwich. I said yes and he went away to prepare, after filling up my glass one more time.

He came along shortly after with the QF signature steak sandwich and I said I know I have the bubbly but I would like to try the Cabernet. He said not a problem and came back with a glass and the bottle. It was quite a nice drop but I think preferred the Shiraz I had on the LHR-SIN flight.
After the steak sandwich was done for and my red finished the crew came back with the bottle of red again and I said no thanks but looked longingly in the direction of the champagne glass. He took the hint and came back with the bottle.
He asked if I would like some cheese or dessert and I said I would have some cheese please. He asked if I would like some dessert wine with it and I said I would like some of the Muscat. The cheese platter was soon before me along with the bottle of Muscat.
I ate most of the cheese but the excesses of the meal and lack of sleep started to catch up with me and I started nodding off.

A crewmember asked if she could clear the table and I said yes but I would finish my glass of champagne.
After that was done I went to the bathroom and on exiting my crewmember asked if he could make up my bed. I agreed and he set to doing just that. During this process I said I had failed my duty in not finishing off the bottle of champagne. He said don’t worry I’ll wash my hands in it later.

I settled in for some sleep but woke up not long afterwards and needed to go to the bathroom again. On exiting the loo one of the crew was talking to the CSM and said can I get you anything. I said a bigger bladder. I said I don’t know you guys serve me all this delicious champagne and I have to keep going to the toilet. The CSM said ‘That’s our fault is it?” I said of course it is. He said we would like to join you but we have to live vicariously through you. I said you’re not the only ones.

Back to my cosy bed and sleep.

I woke about an hour before landing and went and changed back into my civvies.

A crewmember removed the bedding and asked if I would like something to eat or drink. I said a coffee would be nice please, well I really said I would kill for a coffee.

CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST
Create your favourite Breakfast from our extensive Rockpool designed menu. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to assist you with your selection.

Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Sunraysia Pear Liquid Fruit
Sunraysia Mango Liquid Fruit
Vanilla and Honey Energizer Drink

Fresh Fruit Salad
Bircher Muesli
Cereal Selection
Yoghurt and Honey

Toast
Croissant
Pineapple and Coconut Muffin
Strawberry Jam, Orange Marmalade, Honey, Vegemite

I also decided to go with a bowl of yoghurt to top of my morning feast. I was still stuffed from all the food from the previous flight and the meal on this sector that was really only a few hours previous.

The cabin was prepared for landing and we flew in down over Mt Gambier before flying across Southern Victoria and on into MEL.

We taxied to the gate but had to wait for a tug to attach and pull us the last few metres.

The door was opened and I walked up the long ramp to the terminal. I used the biometric facility to get through immigrations, first stopping to pick up a little duty free.

In the baggage reclaim we were the only flight arriving at that time so the bags started to appear rather swiftly, especially for MEL.

Of course being a two sector the SIN bags seemed to come off first before the LHR loaded bags. The yellow First label seemed to do little to expedite the process. Mine did come out in the first hundred or so.

I then went out through customs who had everyone line up whilst a beagle did his sniffer action on all our bags. We were then free to leave the area and I walked outside to be greeted by my folks.

I don’t know why I decided to write this up, probably because I am never bored of flying QF First and wanted to let you all know.

I have a really hard time deciding what to eat on QF F flights and with the odd exception am not disappointed. As to the wine list I just want to try it all but love the Taittinger Comtes de Champagne it is hard to tear myself away from it. I really wish I could just keep flying and try every meal option and sample every wine. That would be the life!!

Happy Travels to you All

And to all a good Flight!

Last edited by Moomba; Jan 1, 2011 at 7:00 am
Old Jan 1, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, VS, SQ, AS
Great post -- I am salivating at the wine and food descriptions. The infamous QF steak sandwich many have mentioned -- is it a snack item that's not mentioned on the menus?

Looking forward to living this exact experience some day soon on QF!

p
Old Jan 1, 2011, 2:43 am

Great TR, thanks for sharing.
In your experience, how does QF F compare with that of BA? Which would you prefer if given the option on the same route?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 3:58 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Great report. I do prefer written descriptive reports without photos.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Nice trip report ^ It would have been nice to see some photos, but your description of the service filled that void.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by putongo
Great post -- I am salivating at the wine and food descriptions. The infamous QF steak sandwich many have mentioned -- is it a snack item that's not mentioned on the menus?

Looking forward to living this exact experience some day soon on QF!

p
The steak sandwich is on the menu posted in the Light Meals section. It was the food on the flight that made me write the TR so I suppose that is why the descriptions are so detailed.

Originally Posted by AlaskaAir738
Great TR, thanks for sharing.
In your experience, how does QF F compare with that of BA? Which would you prefer if given the option on the same route?
I would go with QF over BA any day. If you head over to the BA forum there is a debate about this in one thread at the moment.

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Thanks roadwarriorafrica

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Nice trip report ^ It would have been nice to see some photos, but your description of the service filled that void.
Thanks. Glad my descriptions worked for you.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
^Nice assortment of drink!

Great report!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Moomba
As (in my opinion) my TR have become boring of late I decided I wasn’t going to write about this flight back to my home town. But after eating dinner on the plane I decided I needed to once again put pen to paper. So to speak.
Well I for one am glad it did happen. As far as I am concerned, any 10000+ mile trip in international First Class is always worth writing and/or reading about, so thank you Moomba for yet another fine effort!

A friend of a friend got caught up in the brunt of the mess and ending up having to fly in in Y to Oz instead of the original F booking he had for a few days ago.
This sounds like something out of a Stephen King movie

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Given the well documented diminished quality of reading and writing skills amongst many of today's high skool and colledge gradjuats, I suspect pure photo reports will become all the rage, if they haven't already .
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Is it sad to admit that I knew Moomba was on this flight, was worried he might not get out due to the disruption, so I watched it depart and fly over Europe until it reached the Ukraine, at which point I had to depart for my bed?

If only I'd known which champagne he was on, I could have done sympathetic drinking!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: Ex-HHonors Diamond (now nothing), former AA EXP
Great report....will we get one with pictures for the return?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sobore
^Nice assortment of drink!

Great report!
Thanks sobore

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well I for one am glad it did happen. As far as I am concerned, any 10000+ mile trip in international First Class is always worth writing and/or reading about, so thank you Moomba for yet another fine effort!
Thanks Seat 2A I am glad some people still appreciate the power of words.

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Is it sad to admit that I knew Moomba was on this flight, was worried he might not get out due to the disruption, so I watched it depart and fly over Europe until it reached the Ukraine, at which point I had to depart for my bed?

If only I'd known which champagne he was on, I could have done sympathetic drinking!
Yes it is very sad to admit this but I am touched. I saw the champagne I was drinking in my parents local bottlo and it was $335 AUD a pop! The red wine was $135 a bottle as well. My I do have expensive tastes.

Originally Posted by stu52
Great report....will we get one with pictures for the return?
Fraid not. I was being very 'FT' on the return utilising 3 separate tickets flying MEL-HKG-TPE then TPE-BKK-LAX then LAX-LHR all in J on CX, TG and AA respectively. No pictures or report for those flights though.

Thanks for the feedback.

Moomba
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice report. Your written description made it very easy to visualize the trip without the photos. ^
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Oh you're back...I was beginning to wonder where you'd got to so was about to PM Jenbel as to your whereabouts.

I didn't miss the pictures at all to be honest....you have the knack of describing a boozing session very well without them....I mean a flight in F.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Nice report. Your written description made it very easy to visualize the trip without the photos. ^
Thanks Rejuvenated

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Oh you're back...I was beginning to wonder where you'd got to so was about to PM Jenbel as to your whereabouts.

I didn't miss the pictures at all to be honest....you have the knack of describing a boozing session very well without them....I mean a flight in F.
Thanks HIDDY- I think
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Moomba,

I logged on and scanned the TR forum, I see a TR from Moomba - QF F LHR MEL - my heart starts racing.....

Yes we live vocariously through yours (and others) TR.

Keep writing them - and yes I prefer the descriptions but some pics are great also.

Glad you made it home for a family Christmas, although the weather has not been the best.

I would love to read your TR on your trip home - I will wait with baited breath in case you change your mind.

Adam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.