Reload this Page >

From Africa to Asia via Paris: Flying AF A380

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From Africa to Asia via Paris: Flying AF A380

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Excellent report....fun to read.

Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Excellent

Very good reporting on this TR. I like the amount of text and photos that you have. Thank you!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, HiltonHon Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, One World Silver, Eurobonus Silver
Thanks for comments. Glad to see that what I write is being read.
I will leave for Dakar today. Report from the last leg will only be published when I return to Johannesburg 11 October.

Btw: I will fly South African to Dakar, Senegal, the A340-300 is bound for Washington and make a stop for refueling in Dakar. The flight is approx 8 h.

Last edited by kimbb; Oct 8, 2010 at 5:18 am
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qantas FF
Thanks for posting , your words are indeed being read

EK's A380 is still my favourite
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Great TR!
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:39 am

Nice TR, glad you did that for me, no way I'm doing any IC trips with AF in the near future, and not a chance to see me in transit in CDG ... Thanks for suffering for us!
Old Oct 3, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum
deleted.

Last edited by JohnDP; Nov 30, 2013 at 3:44 am
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, HiltonHon Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, One World Silver, Eurobonus Silver
Originally Posted by JohnDP
what was the room rate for the Ryokan?
The room rate was 65 000 yen.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBond_ppk
Nice TR, glad you did that for me, no way I'm doing any IC trips with AF in the near future, and not a chance to see me in transit in CDG ... Thanks for suffering for us!
Well, i did not suffer, but the product could and should have been better.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Part 4: AF990 – Affaires – 23:20 – CDG-JNB – Airbus A380 – Duration 10h25

Finally, here is the last leg of my trip:

I had an overnight stay in Paris. A city I keep coming back to, and never get tired of visiting. Had lovely weather. But there was a general strike that day (the second of a row of strikes which have received so much media attention lately). The strike did not affect me much, except that I had to take taxis rather than public transportation. Stayed at the Radisson Blu in the Lafayette Street, a nice centrally located hotel. Small rooms though. Since I did not want to drag my suitcase around I left it at a luggage storage service at the airport. The guys working there were fantastic. Informed me about the strike and how to best avoid being affected.

The last flight of the trip, from Paris CDG to Johannesburg was due late evening, which suited me nicely as I could have dinner in Paris before heading to the airport and checking in my luggage. I timed it perfectly. Check in as well as immigration and security all went really smooth. I had a quick drink in the lounge before heading to the gate. There was however a 30 min delay which was only informed about when I was at the gate, but I was OK with that. Quite like observing the airport life. And the new terminal E is anyway very comfortable.

I boarded and found my seat. The business class section was only half full, but with my bad luck I did not have a free seat next to me. I had seat 61L, window seat in the forward business class section on the top deck. We were offered drinks and were getting ready to tax out from the bridge when the guy next to me left his seat, headed towards what I thought would be the toilets. When he had still not returned to his seat after safety demonstration I notified a flight attendant. She and the other FA’s seemed a bit worried with that, as was I. What if he had an indisposition while at the toilet? But turned out he was not there. Eventually the FA notified the pilots, only to find out the passenger was with them. Turned out the brother of the guy was an AF pilot and had arranged for him to join the pilots in cockpit for takeoff and landing. I was actually quite envious of him for that. It was probably a nice experience, especially on this new A380. After takeoff he came back to his seat and we laughed about the situation and asked if I thought he looked like a terrorist. He eventually took another seat so we both had more elbow room.

The meals were served. Nice but not impressive. Why can’t they serve warm rolls with the meals on AF?

Menu:
DINNER

GOURMET APPETIZER AND SEASONAL SALAD
Lentil and scallop timbale,
Chanterelle mushroom and beaufort cheese salad,
Smoked breast of duck, sun-dried tomato

MAIN COURSE
Please choose among today’s suggestions

OUR SPECIAL SELECTION OF CHEESE
Camembert, Comté

DESSERTS
Our dessert trio:
Caramelized apple tart, dark chocolate and milk chocolate puff pastry,
Brochette of pistachio biscuit with rasperry jelly and chantilly
Sorbet and ice cream, choice of fresh fruit
Espresso is served at the bar

Sur le pouce:
Would you like more time to work and relax?
We recommend an express meal composed of our gourmet appetizer,
cheese and desserts.

BREAKFAST
Fruit juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate
Fresh fruit
Cereal yogurt
Croissant, butter and preserves

MAIN COURSE
Omelette, ricotta cream sauce with chives,
cherry tomato

Grilled chicken, ham with ricotta, cucumber roulade with Boursin cheese,
gouda, sun-dried tomato and lamb’s lettuce

TODAY’S SUGGESTION:

PAN-SEARED HANGER STEAK
onion cream sauce, vegetable sauté with pesto,
sautéed chanterelle mushrooms

FILLET OF GUINEA HEN WITH HONEY
sautéed fingerling potatoes with fines herbes,
sautéed green and yellow zucchini

SCALLOPS SAUTÈED IN OLIVE OIL
spiced cream sauce with cashews, carrot and watercress purée,
basmati rice with almonds

PAELLA-STYLE RICE
tomato sauce with fennel seeds, sauteed baby spinach,
mozzarella and carrot bâtonnets

WINE LIST:

Champagne: Lanson Black Label Brut
Bourgogne Blanc: Rully 2006 ou 2007 Joseph Drouhin
Languedoc rouge: Château L’hospitalet la reserve 2007 Gérard Bertrand
Bordeaux rouge: Haut-Médoc Château de Villambis 2006 ou 2007 Cru Bourgeois

I had the Fillet of guinea hen with honey. Skipped desert, as I wanted to sleep. Having walked the streets of Paris all day I fell asleep quite fast. Slept well. Again I must say that I am really impressed with the low noise level on the A380’s. Makes such a difference. I always bring my private Bose noise-cancelling headset, but don’t like using it when sleeping as I usually sleep on the side.

Again I found the seat OK, but wish it was fully flat.

I woke up when they carefully dimmed up the light in the cabin, about an hour before landing. Had a quick breakfast (and again wish they had warm rolls…). Had the selection of cold meat and cheese. The plane landed and taxied in to the terminal, parking next to another A380, from Lufthansa.

As there were relatively few passengers in business class, the FA’s were more attentive than normal, which contributed in making this the best flight of the four.

In conclusion I would say that AF has a OK business class product. But, only when flying the A380. The B777 flight was terrible. I will probably fly with them again, but must admit that when flying to South Africa I will probably choose South African Airways more often. BA has received high ratings lately and I might be tempted to try them as well. But flying between Johannesburg and Europe you have all options. Most European airliners fly to Johannesburg. And when going to Norway I need to connect somewhere anyway. Whether connecting in Paris, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt or elsewhere does not matter. Total flying time is more or less the same anyway. I do hold gold card with both AF/KLM and Star Alliance, which means that I am probably better off flying with someone within one of these alliances. I think South African might have the better business class within Star Alliance and compared to AF/KLM.

A week after this trip I travelled to Dakar with South African Airways. Under are a few photos of the business class seat. So much more legroom compared to AF. Incredible. Service is more or less the same though.

Thanks for reading my report. Don’t hesitate to ask questions if you have any.

Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:32 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Thanks for these nice TRs : the AF wine list is really poor
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AA GLD, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by kimbb
Finally, here is the last leg of my trip:

I had an overnight stay in Paris. A city I keep coming back to, and never get tired of visiting. Had lovely weather. But there was a general strike that day (the second of a row of strikes which have received so much media attention lately). The strike did not affect me much, except that I had to take taxis rather than public transportation. Stayed at the Radisson Blu in the Lafayette Street, a nice centrally located hotel. Small rooms though. Since I did not want to drag my suitcase around I left it at a luggage storage service at the airport. The guys working there were fantastic. Informed me about the strike and how to best avoid being affected.

The last flight of the trip, from Paris CDG to Johannesburg was due late evening, which suited me nicely as I could have dinner in Paris before heading to the airport and checking in my luggage. I timed it perfectly. Check in as well as immigration and security all went really smooth. I had a quick drink in the lounge before heading to the gate. There was however a 30 min delay which was only informed about when I was at the gate, but I was OK with that. Quite like observing the airport life. And the new terminal E is anyway very comfortable.

I boarded and found my seat. The business class section was only half full, but with my bad luck I did not have a free seat next to me. I had seat 61L, window seat in the forward business class section on the top deck. We were offered drinks and were getting ready to tax out from the bridge when the guy next to me left his seat, headed towards what I thought would be the toilets. When he had still not returned to his seat after safety demonstration I notified a flight attendant. She and the other FA’s seemed a bit worried with that, as was I. What if he had an indisposition while at the toilet? But turned out he was not there. Eventually the FA notified the pilots, only to find out the passenger was with them. Turned out the brother of the guy was an AF pilot and had arranged for him to join the pilots in cockpit for takeoff and landing. I was actually quite envious of him for that. It was probably a nice experience, especially on this new A380. After takeoff he came back to his seat and we laughed about the situation and asked if I thought he looked like a terrorist. He eventually took another seat so we both had more elbow room.

The meals were served. Nice but not impressive. Why can’t they serve warm rolls with the meals on AF?

Menu:
DINNER

GOURMET APPETIZER AND SEASONAL SALAD
Lentil and scallop timbale,
Chanterelle mushroom and beaufort cheese salad,
Smoked breast of duck, sun-dried tomato

MAIN COURSE
Please choose among today’s suggestions

OUR SPECIAL SELECTION OF CHEESE
Camembert, Comté

DESSERTS
Our dessert trio:
Caramelized apple tart, dark chocolate and milk chocolate puff pastry,
Brochette of pistachio biscuit with rasperry jelly and chantilly
Sorbet and ice cream, choice of fresh fruit
Espresso is served at the bar

Sur le pouce:
Would you like more time to work and relax?
We recommend an express meal composed of our gourmet appetizer,
cheese and desserts.

BREAKFAST
Fruit juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate
Fresh fruit
Cereal yogurt
Croissant, butter and preserves

MAIN COURSE
Omelette, ricotta cream sauce with chives,
cherry tomato

Grilled chicken, ham with ricotta, cucumber roulade with Boursin cheese,
gouda, sun-dried tomato and lamb’s lettuce

TODAY’S SUGGESTION:

PAN-SEARED HANGER STEAK
onion cream sauce, vegetable sauté with pesto,
sautéed chanterelle mushrooms

FILLET OF GUINEA HEN WITH HONEY
sautéed fingerling potatoes with fines herbes,
sautéed green and yellow zucchini

SCALLOPS SAUTÈED IN OLIVE OIL
spiced cream sauce with cashews, carrot and watercress purée,
basmati rice with almonds

PAELLA-STYLE RICE
tomato sauce with fennel seeds, sauteed baby spinach,
mozzarella and carrot bâtonnets

WINE LIST:

Champagne: Lanson Black Label Brut
Bourgogne Blanc: Rully 2006 ou 2007 Joseph Drouhin
Languedoc rouge: Château L’hospitalet la reserve 2007 Gérard Bertrand
Bordeaux rouge: Haut-Médoc Château de Villambis 2006 ou 2007 Cru Bourgeois

I had the Fillet of guinea hen with honey. Skipped desert, as I wanted to sleep. Having walked the streets of Paris all day I fell asleep quite fast. Slept well. Again I must say that I am really impressed with the low noise level on the A380’s. Makes such a difference. I always bring my private Bose noise-cancelling headset, but don’t like using it when sleeping as I usually sleep on the side.

Again I found the seat OK, but wish it was fully flat.

I woke up when they carefully dimmed up the light in the cabin, about an hour before landing. Had a quick breakfast (and again wish they had warm rolls…). Had the selection of cold meat and cheese. The plane landed and taxied in to the terminal, parking next to another A380, from Lufthansa.

As there were relatively few passengers in business class, the FA’s were more attentive than normal, which contributed in making this the best flight of the four.

In conclusion I would say that AF has a OK business class product. But, only when flying the A380. The B777 flight was terrible. I will probably fly with them again, but must admit that when flying to South Africa I will probably choose South African Airways more often. BA has received high ratings lately and I might be tempted to try them as well. But flying between Johannesburg and Europe you have all options. Most European airliners fly to Johannesburg. And when going to Norway I need to connect somewhere anyway. Whether connecting in Paris, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt or elsewhere does not matter. Total flying time is more or less the same anyway. I do hold gold card with both AF/KLM and Star Alliance, which means that I am probably better off flying with someone within one of these alliances. I think South African might have the better business class within Star Alliance and compared to AF/KLM.

A week after this trip I travelled to Dakar with South African Airways. Under are a few photos of the business class seat. So much more legroom compared to AF. Incredible. Service is more or less the same though.

Thanks for reading my report. Don’t hesitate to ask questions if you have any.

Hi Kimbb,

I have my first trip to Johannesburg coming up and was wondering if you could provide some advice. I'm flying from NY and can fly either South African Airways direct or connect on Delta in Atlanta, KLM in Amsterdam, Lufthansa in Munich, British Airways in London, Emirates in Dubai, and Air France in Paris. I know that both Lufthansa and AF are the A380 but I don't believe either of them has a truly lie flat seat yet. What are your experiences with the flights to J'berg and what airline do you think provides the best seats, quality and entertainment? Any advice on hotels in Sandton? Debating between the Radisson Blu, Radisson Blu Gautrain, the Intercontinental, and the Hilton. I've heard the Gautrain Radisson is the newest but that the Intercontinental is still the nicest??

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Adam
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Lufthansa Silver, BA Amex, Starwood Platinum
Great report, still not a massive fane of AF though!
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Adam,

As far as I know Delta is the only airline with direct flights from US (Atlanta) to JNB. SAA has flights from Washington and NY to JNB but with a short stop in Dakar. Both of these airlines have lie flat seats in C. BA via London is also a good option. Their C-class is very good. Even though the A380 is a nice plane, the C-class of Air France and Lufthansa is not as good as SAA, BA and Delta. Same with KLM. For such a long trip I would go for an airline with lie flat beds. I recently did a return trip with Lufthansa in F-class (on the A380) which was fantastic (and far better than Air France and Swiss F). But F might not be an option? I would go for either Delta or SAA.

Hotel: In general Radisson is my fovorite chain. Hilton second. But I have not stayed at either of their Sandton hotels.

Safe trip - and enjoy JNB!

K
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: Ryanair PLATINUM : ) TK GOLD, AZ Gold, Radisson - gold,Marriott - gold
Smile

you should take emirates via dubai - ek is the best choice

seat
service
food
ambiance

all of these are great on ek

enjoy it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.