Reload this Page >

Moomba's Addiction Continues RTW One World in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moomba's Addiction Continues RTW One World in J

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Originally Posted by sobore
Great Report Moomba ! Outstanding photos!
+1 ^
Must try that photoshop trick...
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sobore
Great Report Moomba ! Outstanding photos!
Originally Posted by flyphilrun
+1 ^
Must try that photoshop trick...
Thank you both.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Another great update ^

I must try LX some day, they really do look good, especially in F and their new seat.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Yes, great pics to add to a great report. ^ But I must warn that Moomba is being way too bashful: "auto correct" can bring up the detail nicely but you need a decent photo to start with. As I can attest.

Perhaps I shouldn't draw attention to it, but there seem to be some interesting options on the menu in LX F! (You did that on puprose, didn't you, Moomba? )
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
Another great update ^

I must try LX some day, they really do look good, especially in F and their new seat.
Thanks Genius1

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Yes, great pics to add to a great report. ^ But I must warn that Moomba is being way too bashful: "auto correct" can bring up the detail nicely but you need a decent photo to start with. As I can attest.
I just point and shoot. But I do look at what I am pointing at first.

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Perhaps I shouldn't draw attention to it, but there seem to be some interesting options on the menu in LX F! (You did that on puprose, didn't you, Moomba? )
Ooops - we won't tell anyone what it was shall we?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Moomba
I just point and shoot. But I do look at what I am pointing at first.
So do I - but my hands shake too much!

Ooops - we won't tell anyone what it was shall we?
Mumm's the word! That is, if you ply me with champagne I won't tell.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, JAL, Asia Miles American LAN Emirates, All the major hotel chains
"I endured another tediously long tube journey to London Heathrow’s Terminal 5. On the way I was reminded why I hate taking this form of transport to the airport. Cramped, crowded, hot and way too long"
Too true. I travelled to London in Nov 2008 and caught the tube from Victoria to Heathrow - crowded into the end of a carriage with luggage - hot, standing up nearly the whole way, moving out the way of the door at stops. yuck.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Part 4 - LHR-MCT-LHR

The Photos

Well it is time for the mileage run portion of this trip. Originally it wasn’t going to be a mileage run but thanks to BA strikes I decided to switch things around a bit. As my new dates would require two stopovers in London that meant my MCT stop now had to be a transit. Oh well it ain’t the first time I have done a turn around in MCT.

I stayed at the Skyline the previous night and just as I checked out the T5 hoppa bus drove in so I decided to make my way on that instead of the free bus to Heathrow Central and the HEX to T5.

The bus takes a route that to my mind goes the ‘long way round’ the airport to get to T5 via another hotel and T4 before arriving at T5 20 minutes after the Sheraton stop.

As per every other time I tried this routing I was unable to check in online, nor was I able to do so at the airport self service machines. I had rung BA the day before to ask if they could see why I could not check-in online. I was told it was because it was oversold and had gone to airport control.

This, yet again was a pack of lies from the BA reps on the phone. The flight was nowhere near full in any cabin. At least it was a little more believable a lie than the last time when I was told I could not check-in online if there were more than 9 sectors on the PNR. What a load of tosh.

I wandered up to the F desks and the agent was able to check me in without a problem. I asked is she knew why I couldn’t do online of self serve and she said she could see nothing in the booking that should have prevented me. She also didn’t understand why the system didn’t spit out my return BP as this was a turnaround. She offered no assistance with this though and just
sent me on my way. Customer service don’t you just love it?

I went to fast track security which although quick was still slower than slow track as usual. My liquid baggie was selected to be checked as usual and I had to wait until my toothpaste was proven to not to be a lethal bomb. I am surprised they didn’t confiscate my Listerine as that causes an explosion in your mouth; well according to the ads anyway.

I did the stupid arse walk around the airport to end up back where I started but one floor below before heading up to the F lounge. It was quite humid in the airport this particular morning so I didn’t venture out onto the terrace which is usually stickier than inside. Besides it was more fun sitting just inside eating my fruit and supping on a Bucks Fizz and watching a guy out on the terrace having a very animated conversation on his mobile phone. He was waiving his arms around so much I though he was going to fly himself to his destination.

After this amusement I wandered down to the other end which is usually quieter and, although decidedly early, opted for a wee glass of white wine. The champagne was LP 2000 or Lanson Pink and they weren’t much to my liking.

Those who know me will be aware that I am a particularly observant person and what I observed next was beyond belief. An elderly gentleman went to the bar section and grabbed about 5 packets of crisps (chips) and went back to his seat. I thought that is a bit of a cheek. I have been known to grab one but not five to take away with me.
A few minutes later he went for a wander around and back to the bowl and grabbed another two handfuls and went back to his seat. Not long after this he went to the wine bar to grab a juice and stood there for a while before going back to his seat. Yep you guessed it via the crisp bowl again.
This went on for several passes and I was wondering where the heck he was stuffing them all.

Finally he walked away with a big paper bag with string handles, probably a bit bigger than a ‘Big Brown Bag’ from Bloomies. I was then floored to see him go through the same process from another section but this time with the biscuits from the Coffee Bar.
In the end I estimated he had taken at least 20 packets of crisps and half as much in biscuits. Unbelievable!

After this entertainment I noticed my flight had posted as a B gate so I got my stuff together and moseyed on down to the train that whisked me away to the mid field B terminal.

I went up to the Galleries lounge and realised that it must have been school holidays. The place was full of families all about to go on holiday to Miami.

I had a juice and read the paper before making my way down to the gate at 09:00.

Just as I arrived they announced boarding and I was first in the queue for the fast track line.

Flight BA0073 LHR - MCT Seat 10A
Aircraft: 777-200
Departure time: 09:40

On board I settled in to my seat making full use of the little drawer storage offered on BA’s J seat.

The crew stood and watched whilst short people struggled to get their bags in the lockers and in one case watched on as one woman couldn’t even get the locker opened.

Drinks of water, orange juice and champagne were offered whilst on the ground. The bubbly tasted better than the vintage served in the F lounge.
We pushed back at 09:51 and had to taxi right down to the other end of Bath road before taking off at 10:15. The flight time was announced as 06:25 to AUH, which was the first leg of this flight.

After the seat belt sign was switched off the crew came around with a hot rag followed by the amenity kits and menus for the flight. A little while later the orders for lunch were taken.

A drinks round from the trolley was made and I opted for a Kir Royale which was served with some cashews. The crew dropped the divider between my seat mate and I to serve the drink and didn’t bother to put it back up afterwards. Maybe she hoped I wouldn’t bother either? Wrong dear.

Another drink was offered as the crew made their way back up the cabin.

The Menu:
Lunch:

Starters:

Devon potted crab with spelt bread
or
Trio of tomatoes with basil pesto
Salad:
Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

Main:
Berbere lamb with green beans and vermicelli rice
The meat used in preparation for this dish is certified Halal

Haddock and salmon fishcakes with dill and lemon cream sauce

Vegetable moussaka

Chilled main course salad of chicken with Caesar dressing and anchovies

Dessert:
Peach Melba delice

Ice Cream

Blue d’Auvergne and Barber’s 1833 with savoury biscuits

A selection of fruit

Chocolates

Wines:
White:

Lovivalo 2009, Rueda, Spain
A bright, fresh, zingy, Spanish white from near Valladolid, an area that has made wine since the 11th century. New technology makes a world of difference, and this is typical of the best new waver wineries. The main grape if the indigenous Verdejo, which has been blended sublimely with Sauvignon Blanc to give a crisp, lemony white with hints of grapefruit and flowers and a beautifully round palate.

Le Meridiane Pinot Grigio 2008, Valdadige, Italy
From the hillside vineyards above the town of Trento in northern Italy, this is a very superior Pinot Grigio. The ultra-modern winery of Le Meridiane produces elegant, fresh wines with floral notes and subtle flavours of small yellow plums, balanced by pineapple and citrus. A fashionable and beautifully made Italian, new to Club World.

Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run Reisling 2008, Clare Valley, South Australia
Winemaker Kevin Mitchell wins plaudits for all his wines at Kilikanoon, and this Riesling has the steely, lemon and floral flavours of the best Australian examples. Dry, crisp and invigorating, the wine shows mineral notes and is a great contrast to our other Club World wines. Mr. Killlermanis truth, not legend: a Clare Valley local character known to Kevin’s father, he lived as a hermit and trapped rabbits for food.

De Westhof Lesca Chardonnay 2008, Robertson, South Africa
A bright lemony Chardonnay, aged on the lees to give a rounded, classical yeasty style, dry, and medium to full-bodied. Danie de Wet’s highly regarded estate in the beautiful region of Robertson combines a classic 18th century Cape Dutch farmstead with a modern winery.

Red:
Saint-Joseph 2006, Cave Saint-Desirat, Rhone, France

Ruby in colour, this is a true gem from the northern Rhone. It is made exclusively from the Syrah grape, here in its heartland. Fresh blackberry and black cherry fruit combine with some light savoury meaty flavours with a pinch of sweet spices and white pepper notes. This wine is only medium weight and lower in alcohol than some, but rounded, elegant and well balanced.

Ermita de San Felices, 2007 Crianza, Rioja, Spain
Roberto and Santiago Ijalba craft this delicious red from their best Tempranillo grapes. Their Bodega, established in Haro only 12 years ago, is a rising star in the Rioja firmament. Aged for 14 months in American oak barrels, this Crianza shows the cherry and strawberry fruit with vanilla overtones for which Rioja is famous.

La Puerta Malec Reserva 2008, Famatina Valley, Argentina
The Malbec grape may be unloved in its native France but is emerging as the star of Argentina. This is a deep, rich and meaty red, all black cherry jam, cloves, currants, vanilla and spice, with lashings of sweet fruit. The Famatina Valley lies at 1000m in the foothills of the Andes, home originally to the Diaguita tribe whose intricate artwork that survives on the remnants of pottery is commemorated on the label.

Glaetzer Wallace Shiraz/Grenache 2006, Barossa Valley, Australia
Big rich and ripe, this well-rounded monster has tons of sweet, juicy berry fruit with some spicy notes from its time in oak barrels. The Glaetzer family trace back their roots in the Barossa to the 1880’s, and Glaetzer Wines, established in 1995, has rapidly eared an enviable reputation for the quality of its reds.

Champagne:
Cattier Brut NV Champagne

The Cattier family traces its origins in the Champagne region back to 1764 but the real growth and fame of the Cattier brand dates from 1918. Cattier is based in the small village of Chigny les Roses on the northern slopes of the Montagne de Reims with stunning views across its vineyards to the city of Reims.
Champagne is one of the very few white wines to be made using black grapes. This non-vintage cuvee is a blend of 75% of the black grapes Pinot Meunier and Pinot Noir, and 25% of the white Chardonnay. It shows appealing floral notes, flavours of white fruit such as white peach and pear with overtones of brioche and dried fruit. It is long and lingering on the palate.

Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve NV Champagne
Charles Heidsieck was founded in 1851 by Charles-Camille Heidsieck – the original “Champagne Charlie”. Nowadays it is recognised as one of Champagne’s star performers and regularly wins awards for the quality of its wines. Bright and golden in colour the persistent mini bubbles in the glass are indicative of the quality. There are classic toasty, ripe fruit aromas with complex, mouth-filling flavours followed by a crisp finish. It is long and rich but also beautifully refreshing.
Wine maker Regis Camus continues the traditions of excellence set by the late, almost legendary, Daniel Thibaut. Few non-vintage wines have won more critical acclaim in the last fifteen years, and here at British Airways we have long recognised its merits.

The meal trays were next to make an appearance and contained the starter and salad. Bread and wine were then presented. The crew member apologised that the bread was not warm as their warming oven was broken. The crab starter was nice and the spelt bread, although served in it’s plastic wrapper (tacky BA, tacky), was very tasty. After I had finished the starter and salad my dished were removed and more wine offered. I was drinking the Lovivalo which was quite fruity but still dry. The other white was the Riesling. I don't know which of the reds were on board.
The main course was then given to me through the divider again. I opted for the lamb dish which was deliciously spicy and moist and was actually edible, unlike my most recent BA CW experience earlier this year.
Cheese or dessert plus a small ice cream tub were then offered. I accepted the cheese and a tub of ice cream.

After devouring these I asked for a cup of coffee and ate the Lily O’briens chocolate that was sitting on the tray when first presented.

After the lunch remains were done with I settled back and watched a couple of movies on the antiquated IFE offering BA have on these planes. This consists of the now old fashioned loop type arrangement with no AVOD. If you miss the start – tough!

About 1 hour out of AUH the crew appeared again with the afternoon tea repast.

Sandwiches were delivered in their plastic wrappers along with an offer of a fruit or plain scone. The scones were not warm again and the sandwich was a sandwich. Nothing much more can be said about it. Coffee and tea were offered with this ‘meal’.

We landed in AUH at 19:36 and taxied to our gate. Passengers heading to MCT were asked to stay onboard during the transit. A crew member came around to check that only our bags were still on the plane. Apart from that we didn’t see the crew for the next hour and no offer of a drink was made, even after the AUH-MCT passengers boarded.

We pushed back at 20:36 and took off for the short 40 minutes flight to MCT at 20:50.

In the air we were offered a drink and small plate of canapés.
We landed exactly 40 minutes after take off at 21:30 and I could see the fleet of busses making their way towards the plane.

Only the First and Business passengers were allowed on the first bus which sped off to the terminal whilst another two started to collect the other passengers.
I made my way straight up to the transit desks and approached the gentleman. I said I was going to London on BA. He asked where I had come from and I sheepishly said London. He smiled and said ‘Ah for the miles’. I nodded and he proceeded to type away and had no issued getting a boarding pass to spit out. He then wrote out an invite for the Oman air lounge that BA J & F passengers can use at MCT.

I made my way through the security check point without issued and down to the Oman air lounge. I had some dates, pastries and some Arabic coffee spiced with cardamom. MMMM lovely. The lounge also had other food offerings including sandwiches, lamb kofta, seafood pastries and a tomato soup.

I sat in the lounge and read or listened to my iPod and waited out the two hours until my London flight was called at 23:25. I went to the gate and had to pass through another security check which was much stricter. Belts off, watches off, shoes off etc. I passed through unscathed and sat down to await the boarding of the busses. This started a few minutes later with First and Business being loaded on one bus and the rest on another. See BA at LHR it ain’t that hard!

My bus pulled up at the plane and I climbed the stairs to the same plane I came out on and in the same seat.

Flight BA0072 MCT-LHR Seat 10A
Aircraft: 777-200
Departure time: 00:01

We pushed back at 00:06 and took off 10 minutes later at 00:16 for our 45 minute flight back to AUH.

Drinks from the bar were served again along with the same canapés that I had enjoyed on the flight inbound.

We touched down at 00:57 and taxied back to the same gate. The same routine again with the bags. Drinks were offered on the ground this time by the particularly chipper crew.

We pushed back at 01:55 and the captain announced a flight time of 7 hours to London. We took off at 02:08 into the night sky over AUH and swung back around to head North West to London.
Hot rags were handed out after take off and the menus delivered along with amenity kits for the flight.

Menu:
Night Cap:

Mixed salad and baba ghanoush in tomato cup with sumac dressing
or
Roast beef sandwich with mustard, cheese and pickle
or
Hot Chocolate with warm chocolate chip cookies

A selection of fruit

The crew offered drinks from the bar first along with some cashews and then served the night cap. I opted for the sandwich which was a sandwich. Nuff said. After I finished the meal I laid my seat flat, got out the duvet and hunkered down for some kip.

I slept on and off through the flight and didn’t bother stirring when the breakfast service was started. For those that did wake for breakfast this is what was on offer.

Breakfast in Bed:
Chiled fruit juice
An energising fruit smoothie of skim milk, raspberries, banana, orange, honey and yoghurt
Fresh seasonal fruit
or
Muesli with milk and mango fan
Scrambled eggs, beef sausage, paprika potato cubes and grilled tomato
or
Herb omelette served with chicken sausage, rosti potato and grilled tomato
or
Waffles with caramelised banana

Selection of warm bread and breakfast pastries

Your choice of tea of coffee

I did eventually come out from under the covers and an observant member of the crew asked me if I would like a coffee or tea. I opted for a wake me up coffee. It was about this time the captain announced 40 minutes to landing in London.

We touched down at 06:18 and taxied to a bus gate further away from T5 than I have ever been. It was right out beyond T5C adjacent to an outbuilding that was closer to the T3 gates than T5. The immigrations centre for T3 was actually closer, as the crow flies, than the T5 immigrations. There were no busses waiting and the captain apologised for the wait whilst he got someone to send them. I am now, never surprised when BA don’t have busses waiting, cause you know they have no idea when planes land at LHR it is all guess work.

Busses eventually did arrive and drove us the three miles to the T5A terminal building. IRIS was not functional and I was forced to use Fast Track immigrations. This turned out to be the farce of the century as there was one agent working the fast track queue. The normal foreign nationals’ line moved far quicker and I am sure half of the people on my flight from the Y cabin made it through immigrations quicker than I did. BA & T5 are completely useless on the ground. Full stop.

Eventually I was let through and made my way up to the arrivals lounge which was surprisingly quiet given the 6am rush of flights would all have just landed.

I was able to grab a shower straight away and then settled down to a leisurely breakfast of fruit followed by bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and toast.

A HEX and tube journey had me back home in an hour and a half.

Next stop the land of 127lb cabbages.

The Photos

Last edited by Moomba; Aug 7, 2010 at 6:28 am
Old Aug 7, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I've enjoyed the TR so far and look forward to the next part

BA & T5 are completely useless on the ground. Full stop.
+100
Old Aug 7, 2010, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Another well-written addition to your TR ^

I agree that there are many ways in which BA could improve ground handling at T5, although the lounges are amongst the best in the world (especially the CCR), and the terminal itself is designed well (aside from the no direct lounge access for non-F pax, but that is a BAA issue).

The CW food appears to have improved slightly from other recent reports.

Shame about the not-so on the ball crew on the outbound sector.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA
Top notch TR; as always.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good stuff Moomba. ^

Travelling in J no matter which airline you're on is no great shakes nowadays apart from the very odd exception. I got the feeling you didn't really want to be there to be honest.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I've enjoyed the TR so far and look forward to the next part

+100
Originally Posted by Genius1
Another well-written addition to your TR ^

I agree that there are many ways in which BA could improve ground handling at T5, although the lounges are amongst the best in the world (especially the CCR), and the terminal itself is designed well (aside from the no direct lounge access for non-F pax, but that is a BAA issue).

The CW food appears to have improved slightly from other recent reports.

Shame about the not-so on the ball crew on the outbound sector.
Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Top notch TR; as always.
Thanks for to the kind comments.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Good stuff Moomba. ^

Travelling in J no matter which airline you're on is no great shakes nowadays apart from the very odd exception. I got the feeling you didn't really want to be there to be honest.
Well it was BA - Where other airlines started a gradual decline somewhat earlier BA just seemed to have take a nose dive in the last year or so which probably make it more of a pronounced change.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Part 5 LHR-ORD-ANC

The Photos

It is now time to go onward and Westward to Alaska for a Cabbage Do.
I didn’t need to stay at an airport hotel as my flight wasn’t due to depart until 12:50 but I did anyway as I am a Starwood whore and it is going to be touch and go this year.

After a lazy morning I checked out and caught the free local bus to Heathrow Central and then took the long walk to T3. I dispensed with the option of walking up to the Flagship check-in as it was a whole terminal forecourt walk away whilst the other AA desks were 30 seconds ahead of me.
A security agent nabbed me before I got the desk and asked a million pointless questions and then sent me over to the desk. The agent checked me in without any further questioning and issued me with a boarding pass. She asked if I knew where the new Flagship lounge was and I said I did. I had other plans though!

Upstairs and through fast track security I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to walk straight up to the tables and start unpacking. No queue at all. I made it through security unscathed and walked out the new fast track exit which is immediately in front of the fast track scanning machines.

I popped out into the T3 shopping mall and proceeded to locate my destination; the sparkly new CX lounge.

The lounge is located amongst the other lounges at gate side now rather than upstairs near the transfer desks where it used to reside. Once through the exit of the shopping mall I turned left and the entrance was a few paces down the hall. To get to the lounge one needs to arise in an elevator to the floor above. Once upstairs there was a desk immediately in front of the elevator. The agent saw my AA BP and my AA EXP card and enquired if I knew there was an AA lounge. I said I did but I wanted to check out the new CX lounge as I had been to the old one many a time.
He swiped my BP and informed me no calls would be made for the AA flights and invited to enjoy the new CX F lounge which was behind me to the left. Inside the F lounge there are windows along two walls with great views over the apron.

There was a lot of nice seating by the windows and a TV on a non-window wall. There was a row of cubicles with computer facilities available. The food on offer included congee, noodle stir fry, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked bean and sausage. Other cold foods, pastries, sandwiches, and of course drinks of both alcoholic and non variety. The champagne on ice was Veuve Clicquot.
I went in search of the business lounge which runs parallel to the F lounge and only has windows at one end. Inside there was the usual assortment along with a noodle section ala the Wing and Pier in HKG. Today they had Dan Dan, Shrimp Rice Cake and Won Ton Noodles.
Outside of the lounges in a communal area there were restrooms and show facilities that served both lounges.

Back in the F lounge I grabbed a glass of bubbly and some grub and sat and watched the activity outside the windows.

After an hour and a half in the lounge I checked the monitors too see if my flight had been allocated a gate. It was just before the published boarding time printed on my BP. There was still no gate shown. I decided to go down to the AA lounge to see what the story was. I thanked the CX agent on the way out and went down stairs and along the hall to the AA lounge.
Inside I asked the agent if there was a delay to my flight he said a 10 minute delay was posted and they should start boarding in 10 minutes. I was then escorted into the Flagship lounge and found myself a seat.

Inside there was hot food in the form of a soup, a chicken dish with sautéed potatoes and a couscous dish with vegetables. On offer there was also salads, veggies, dips, cracker and cheese along with an assortment of desserts. The usual mix of alcoholic and non were available. The champagne was ‘real’ i.e. from France but I didn’t write down the name and it was not one I had heard of.

No sooner as I had settled in when there was an announcement that my flight was delayed by an hour. As I only had a two hour connection I started to get a little nervous so I proceeded out to the desk. The agent said there was one other option for me that evening if I did misconnect. It was via DEN on AA then to ANC on AS.
She said that if it looked likely I would not make the ANC flight they would re-route me whilst I was in the air on this flight. I went back to the lounge and waited out the next hour sipping on a glass of red wine.

The flight was finally called and I proceeded down to a gate on the T section where AA used to gate their planes at LHR. I was accosted again by security people at the gate prior to entering the lounge asking more stupid questions and finally was able to enter. My BP was scanned and I entered the lounge just as wheel chair and extra assistance passengers were boarding.

A few minutes later First and Business and OW elites were invited to board. I managed to work my way through the scrum and on board the aircraft.

Flight AA0047 LHR-ORD Seat 3A
Aircraft: 777
Departure time: 12:50

Once on board I headed for my seat at which there was already placed a pillow, blanket, amenity kit and menu for the flight.

I was offered OJ water or bubbly and then a newspaper. On the ground the
lunch orders were taken in a FEBOesque fashion starting at the back of the J side working forward and the moving to the back of the A side. No fear though as my choice was available when the purser reached my seat.
We pushed back at 13:59 for the 8 hour and 5 minute flight. Before we got anywhere the captain announced a problem with the fuel pump gauge and we would have to go back to a gate and get an engineer to look at it. There goes my ANC flight.

We eventually started moving and pulled into a bus stand off the side of T3 at 14:20 and waited for stairs, an engineer and a repair job. The crew came around and offered non-alcoholic drinks only and served the cheese antipasto portion of the starters.

The captain did not turn off the seat belt signs for the entire time we were on the ground.

Eventually service personnel came on board and were able to correct the problem, sign off the plane for flight and we were ready to roll again. We pushed back at 15:05 and finally made it into the air at 15:25 only 2 hours and 35 minutes behind schedule. Seems to be becoming the norm for my AA flights of late.

After the crew finally roused themselves from their slumber they got about offering the lunch service for the flight.

LUNCH
To Start:

Warmed mixed nuts
Or
Marinated cheese antipasto

Appetiser:
Smoked salmon and tarragon shrimp accompanied by capers, red onion and sour cream

The Salad Cart:
Fresh seasonal greens with pickled carrots, plum tomatoes, broccoli and scallions offered with roasted red pepper dressing or Sappori d’Arte olive oil and balsamic vinegar
Sliced herbes de provence chicken breast

Bread Basket:
Assorted gourmet breads

Main Course:
Chateaubriand with Mushroom Sauce
Seared fillet of beef served with porcini mushroom sauce, grilled vegetables and potatoes au gratin

Rack of Lamb with Merlot Sauce
Gralic rack of lamb served with rosemary Merlot sauce, haricots verts, tomatoes and a rosti potato cake

Foie Gras Stuffed Chicken
Breast of chicken stuffed with duck foie gras, offered with black mushroom peppercorn sauce, buttered haricots verts and wild ride with pecans

Pecorino Gnocchi
Gnocchi stuffed with rich pecorino cream filling

Dessert:
Ice Cream Sundae
Vanilla ice cream with a choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and pecans

Fruit and Cheese
A selection of gourmet cheeses offered with a flavourful dried fruit and assorted crackers

Mid Flight Snack:
Fruit and Cheese
A selection of gourmet cheeses offered with a flavourful dried fruit and assorted crackers

Snacks
Assorted snack items are also available

Wine List:
Champagne:
Nicholas Feuillatte Brut Reserve Particuliere

Nicholas Feuillatte is relatively new in Champagne, at least when it comes to the company name. The owners have been there for hundreds of years! In 1972, a group of growers and producers banded together to create a worldwide brand for themselves. After all, they had been selling their grapes to luxury houses for years. Our Nicholas Feuillatte selection is toasty on the nose with good peach flavour.

White Wines:
Joseph Drouhin Rully Chardonnay

In the southern part of the Cote d;Or lie the vineyards of Rully. As in the rest of the Burgundy, the continental climate, with its warm summer and mid fall, is very favourable to the good maturity of grapes. Rully is a delicious white Burgundy wine which resembles the whites from the Cote de Beaune: a luminous, golden green colour, a toasty, fruity nose, a refined, elegant body with floral and cinnamon notes.

Groom Lenswood Sauvignon Blanc, Adelaide Hills, Australia
The cool temperatures of Australia’s Adelaide Hills produce Sauvignon Blancs that are versatile with food, primarily because of the appealing citrus tones and crisp acidity. In particular, the Groom family creates excellent Sauvignon Blancs that pair delightfully with fish, crustaceans and poultry. Groom is a well-known winemaker both in Australia and the United States.

Red Wines:
Chateau Teyssier Saint-Emilion Grand Cru

Chateau Teyssier has been home to the Maltus family since 1994. This glorious chateau sits in the heart of St. Emillion, one of the world’s oldest wine towns. Maltus is considered a rebel in Bordeaux as he always faces a very traditional trade, so trying to find new ways to improve the wines and viticulture is continually met with suspicion. Maltus pushes on, and his winemaking skills are evident upon the first sip of this wine. Red meat dishes and wild game are perfect matches.

Fabre Montmayou Malbec Reserva
Herve Joyaux Fabre, owner and director of Fabre Montmayou, was born in Bordeaux, France. When he arrived in Argentina in the early 90s looking for opportunities to invest in vineyards and start a winery, he was impressed by the potential for Malbec in Mendoza. He bought very old Malbec vineyards planted in 1908, and built the Fabre Montmayou winery in the purest Chateau style fro Bordeaux. His Malbecs are considered to be some of Argentina’s finest. This particular Malbec has beautiful aromas of violets, spices and dark cherries. It is a perfectly balanced wine with a good structure and a round elegant finish.

Sherry:
Emilio Lustau Sherry

Phoenician traders founded a frontier settlement called Shera on the Mediterranean coast. Following Roman and Moorish occupation it became the Spanish Jerez de la Frontera, now know as the Sherry region. Lustau medium Sherry is a hearty aperitif wine, amber in colour, specially fermented and continually blended through the decades of aging to achieve the nutty caramel flavours.

Dessert Wine:
Graham’s Vintage Port

Founded in 1820, W. & J. Graham & Co. maintains its place as one of the most prestigious names in fine Port wines. Careful decanting results in a brilliantly clear and sweet ruby red dessert wine of unequalled charm. Graham’s Vintage Port fulfils its rich heritage with bold brambleberry and plum flavours slowly mellowed to a satin texture.

Beverages:
Cocktails and Aperitifs:

Bloody Mary
Screwdriver

Spirits:
SKYY Vodka
Beefeater Dry Gin
Bacardi Rum
Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch
Jim Beam Black Bourbon
Canadian Club Reserve Blended Whisky
Dewar’s White Label Scotch Whisky
Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whisky

Beers:
Heineken, Amstel Light and select U.S. Beers

Brandy and Liqueurs:
Disaronno Amaretto
Baileys Irish Cream
Kahlua
Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Fine Champagne Cognac

Other Beverages:
Carbonated Beverages
Still and Sparkling Water
American Airlines Premium Blend regular and decaffeinated coffee
Tea
Fruit Juices
Milk

The service started with a round of drinks served with the warm nuts portion of the starter. This was quickly followed by the main lunch service. My table was laid with a charger plate, bread and butter plate and cutlery etc. The service started with the trolley service of the salmon or shrimp appetiser.

This was followed by the salad cart ritual. After these two courses I was already quite sated but the main was yet to come. If there is one thing I will say about AA flights it is that, when you are fed you are well fed.

My main course Chateaubriand was delivered up next and was lovely and juicy. Not a patch on the Wagyu beef in F on JAL but tasty I managed to pack it away.

I was asked if I could be tempted by a sundae and of course I was. Butterscotch mmmm.

I listened to music and watched a video and slept for a while on the spacious bed provided in AA first.
About 1 hour 45 minutes out of Chicago the second meal was served. The choices were:

LIGHT MEAL:
Uno’s Farmer’s Market Pizza

A Chicago-style deep dish pizza topped with mixed vegetables and a three cheese blend, served with basil pesto and a fresh green salad

Gourmet Salad
Fresh seasonal greens topped with grilled chicken and sliced beef, asparagus, tomatoes and Brie, offered with balsamic tomato vinaigrette.
I opted for the salad which was lovely with great fresh tastes provided by the asparagus and semi-dried tomatoes.

Soon the cabin filled with the smell of the fresh baked cookies which were the next offering on the fuel filled flight.

We had some minor delays due to ATC restrictions but eventually landed at ORD without having to fly over and double back the airfield like I have done many times before. We touched down at 17:25 and taxied to a gate at the international terminal.

The crew on this flight only used my name once when taking the meal orders but notheless they were very attentive and was not left wanting for anything during the flight. A crew member did make regular visits during the flight to ensure I didn't need to drink or whatever.

At the gate an agent announced that anyone with connecting flights should see her at the top of the ramp. As one of the first people off the plane I caught up to her on the way up the ramp and she handed me my new BPs that showed the aforementioned connection via DEN to get me to ANC 5.5 hours late at 01:35 the following morning. I was pleased to see they had me in First on both flights.

I proceeded up to the immigrations to be confronted with a huge queue in the alien’s lanes. I joined and the queue and waited and crawled along at a snails pace. One bloody tediously long hour later I was finally ushered over to an agent who processed me into the country.

I quickly made my way out and on the train to the AA terminal and to security. The queue was not too bad and once through I was less than pleased to see my DEN gate was right at the end of the H Pier. What fun. I rushed down to the gate and boarding was just calling group 5.

Flight AA0867 ORD-DEN Seat 3E
Aircraft: 737-800
Departure time: 19:25

On board I was surprised to find room for my baggage and I sat down at my bulkhead aisle seat. Not my usual choice but hey at least I was protected by AA. I had a 1 hour connection in DEN so I could now relax a little.

For five minutes that is until the captain announced that the baggage handlers had found a ‘ding’ in the cargo door and we needed to get engineering to inspect and sign off the damage. Only problem was an hour earlier a flight from Reno had burst two tyres on landing and all the available engineers were out at the plane trying to sort out how they could get it and its passengers to the terminal.

I was offered a drink and went for a welcomed scotch and ginger ale.
The purser said if anyone needed to speak to the ground agent about connections etc she would be at the door. I sat for a while and heard someone mention a delay of up to an hour from the galley. I stood up and went off the plane to speak to the agent about other options stating that I only had a hour to connect in ANC. She asked me to wait whilst she went to investigate.
I went back on board and took another sip of my drink. The purser asked me if all was OK I said it was not my day. I explained I was already on a re-route due to fault AA equipment and had an hour to connect to and ANC flight. She said as it was a mechanical issue that AA would put me up at a hotel if necessary.

The gate agent came back and explained my options were to stay in ORD over night but the only direct flight would be the 17:25 again the next day or indirect would get me to ANC at 14:xx. She suggested I stick with this flight and if I misconnect in DEN there is an option to fly via SEA the following day on AS to get to ANC at 13:xx.

I decided to stay with this flight and take my chances. I said to the purser ‘Looks like I am travelling with you tonight’. She came up to me later and said she asked the agent to ensure that AA would sort out a hotel in DEN if I did not make the ANC flight. ^

The aircraft was eventually signed off and we pushed back at 20:10 for the 2 hour 2 minute flight to DEN.

Once in the air the signature warm nuts were handed out with another scotch for me.
After the drinks the dinner service began from the back following the FEBO rules. Of course by the time the trolley got to row 1 there was on the pasta option left.
It didn’t taste too bad and was filling and was served along with a salad and a bread roll.

The flight was mostly uneventful but very comfortable in the new 737-800 plane.

We touched down at 21:20, 40 minutes before my AS flight was due to depart. I hoped the gate wouldn’t be too far away and it was not.

The purser wished me luck on the way out and I made a quick walk down 10 or so gates to where the AS flight was already boarding. On the walk up I noticed my BP stated ‘Ticket Required’ at the bottom. I looked through the other docs I was handed and the only other item I had was a passenger itinerary. Oh dear please do not let me falter at the final hurdle.

I walked straight up to the boarding agent and the machine beeped and she sent me over to the desk agent. She did some typing and said to the other agent ‘It is OK I have printed the coupon’ and sent me back. My BP was scanned again and I was on my way down the ramp.

Flight AA6884 / AS0147 DEN-ANC Seat 1C – 1A
Departure time: 22:00

Once I board I was welcomed by the friendly crew and sat down in 1C. There was no one in 1A so I sat and hoped that no one would be. Sure enough the doors closed and I asked if I could switch seats to 1A. The FA said I could but only after take off and the belt sign was switched off. We hadn’t even started to push back at this point which I thought was a bit tough. A glass of water was offered pre-takeoff.

We pushed back at 21:50 and soon after, as we were moving, the FA dropped by my seat on the way back up front and said I could move to the window if I was quick and kept down low. After all that is why you want the window – to look out of on take off isn’t it? I said thanks and quickly settled in to seat 1A.

Our take off was delayed by a debris from a airport vehicle that was blowing all over the tarmac in front of us. People quickly got to action outside collecting what looked like some sort of cardboard containers blowing all over the place. Once this was cleared we continued our taxi and eventually took off at 22:10.

After take off I was offered a drink and asked for the Amber ale only to be told there was none!
I went with a glass of white wine proved to be hideous. Next time I will stick with sprits me thinks.

The portable IFE units were handed out which I declined as I was going to at least attempt some shut eye on this flight. A snack service of carrot, celery and sugar snap peas served with a warm spinach dip were offered for this 5 hour flight.

After the meal I did attempt some sleep and I think I managed a little before we were preparing for landing. We touched down at 01:35 into a busy ANC airport.

There were 747 cargo plane all over the place and one inside the terminal there was a lot of activity as the red-eyes were preparing to depart.
I made may way to the taxi rank and grabbed a cab to the Sheraton. I checked in and made my way to my room by 02:00. What a room. It was a huge two room suite with lounge, TV, bar area and a 6 dining room table with seats for 6 in one room and a four poster king bed, work desk in another. The bathroom had a separate shower and Jacuzzi bath.

I crashed until my un-requested 06:00 wake up call from the hotel. After 22 hours of travelling and less than 4 hours sleep it was time to do the do Urggh.

The Photos

Last edited by Moomba; Sep 11, 2010 at 3:55 am
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Part 6 ANC-ORD-LAX-ORD-LHR

The Photos

After a great few days doin’ the do it was time to make the long trek home to London. Of course it was made longer by my addiction and a little help from AA’s inability to fly an on time airline.

As the final part of the Cabbage DO was a BBQ at BOB W’s abode lili and I, who were both on the same flight, caught a cab to the airport together.

Check-in at ANC was quick and easy although I needed to collect extra BPs due to my two ticket routing home. My ANC-ORD-LAX flights were all part of the ongoing RTW ticket whilst the LAX-ORD-LHR was the second half of the LHR-ORD-LAX I wrote about earlier in this report.

Having been issued with 4 BPs I was on my way to security which was a breeze courtesy of the fast track line and ANC having sufficient scanners open.

We made our way to the gate and 5 minutes or so later pre-boarding began followed by First class and OW elites.

Flight AA0290 ANC-ORD Seat 5F
Aircraft: 757
Departure time: 22:05

We boarded through door two and turned left to locate our seats. As chance had it lili ended up in the seat beside me. We were offered OJ, Sparkling Wine or Mimosa prior to take off.

We pushed back a little early and were number 1 for take off. We were soon in the air flying out over the mountains to the south east of Anchorage.

After the belt sign was switched off a round of hot towels were delivered and then a drinks order was taken. These were served with the famous warm nuts. Lili didn’t want hers so I got to be a greedy guts and ate hers as well with my scotch and dry ginger ale.

The snack service on this late evening flight was a choice of salmon salad or chicken parmigiana. I opted for the chicken and immediately noticed that the serviettes were paper and not cloth. On the tray with the parmigiana was a salad with Italian dressing and some pita chips with humus dip. I was drinking a white wine of some description with the meal that was a little less than good so I switched over to some of the red after the meal which was far more palatable.

The chicken was not too bad as airline food goes although a tad dry, but not overly so. After the mains were taken away that all too familiar smell of fresh baked cookies permeated the cabin and soon the crew were out offering warm cranberry oatmeal cookies for our enjoyment.

Once the cookies were dispensed with it was time to attempt some shut eye. This was not an easy task on the hopelessly outdated excuse for first class seats on AA’s 757 domestic fleet. I have never really been able to get comfortable on those seats and this flight was no exception.

Prior to landing the crew came around with a drinks tray offering juice.
We touched down at Chicago at 06:36 the following morning and taxied to our gate.

As I was technically flying international on the same day (and had my ORD-LHR BP to prove it) I decided to see if the Flagship angels would let me in and lili as my guest.

We made our way up to the lounge through a very empty ORD terminal. It was the emptiest I have ever seen it. Once in the lounge the Angel was able to use the ORD-LHR BP to secure us both entry to the lounge. She warned us that domestic flights would not be called in the lounge and checked what time we should both be at our respective gates for our flights.
For breakfast in the lounge there was cereal, yoghurt, bagels, English muffins, toast, fruit etc. and there was even some Piper Sanoma Sparkling wine chilling in an ice bucket.

We settled in the lounge for an hour or so before it was time for lili to depart.
I bade lili farewell as she went off to catch her connection and waited another 15 minutes in the lounge before it was time for me to make my way to the gate.

I made my way to the gate and waited until boarding was announced.
Soon enough we were invited to board and I made my down the ramp on the nice new 737-800 aircraft.

Flight AA1063 ORD-LAX Seat 5A
Departure time: 09:00

I made my way to my seat and stowed my bags and settled in. The captain announced a flight time of 3 hours and 55 minutes to LAX.
We pushed back at 09:00 and taxied out for a take off time of 09:17.

Once the belt sign was off hot towels were handed out followed by a drinks service. A while later the breakfast service began with a choice of cereal or chicken quesadilla. The meal was served with a plate of fruit on the side and offered with bagel or the lovely flaky American biscuit.

The meal was edible and I always find it to be fun to see what AA has for breakfast on their flights. It makes a change from the boring full English supplied on BA that never, ever changes.

The movie The Ghost Writer was played on the overhead projectors but I had already seen this so spent my time catching up on sleep and listening to my iPod. The seat on the 737-800 is infinitely more comfortable than the crappy old 757.

A tray of orange juice and water made the rounds prior to landing.
Once off the aircraft I made a beeline for the AC complex and was issued a card to gain entry to the Flagship lounge to wait out my time until the flight back to ORD.

I grabbed a much needed shower in the lounge and settled in for a couple of hours. Whilst there Jimmy Fallon and entourage entered the lounge on his way back to NYC from the Emmy awards.

Around the time boarding was due to commence on my flight I made my way back out and down to the gate. Boarding started a little late with pre-boarding done first then the First class cabin was asked to board.

Flight AA2218 LAX-ORD Seat 4A
Departure time: 13:15

On board I found my seat and settled in. The captain announced a flight time of 3 hours and 23 minutes. There were no drinks offered on the ground prior to push back which was at 13:40. We took off at 13:52 and once the seat belt sign was off the purser came around and introduced herself and asked for drinks orders. I ordered a scotch and ginger ale and she seemed surprised and said ‘oh that is my favourite drink too’.

My drink soon arrived with some more of those delightful warm nuts. After the drinks the snack service commenced. This was the exact same offering as the ANC-ORD flight with the only difference being the cookies which were chocolate chip.

I again went for the chicken dish which, funnily enough, was much the same as the one I had eaten several hours earlier.
The very friendly flight attendant was in the cabin quite a bit checking if anyone needed anything. I can’t remember what movie was shown on this flight.

We landed at 19:00 and taxied to the gate.

I then made my way to the Flagship lounge for what I thought was going to be a 2.5 hour wait.

In the lounge I settled in with a drink and some nibbles and checked my emails etc. using the free wifi.

An announcement was made that the flight would be delayed and we should stay in the lounge. The aircraft was not yet at the gate as it was having some maintenance done at the hangar. Around half an hour later we were told that they expect to be finished soon but if they can not get the aircraft to the gate by 23:00 we would all be spending the night in ORD and flying out in the morning.

A half hour or so after this we were given the good news that they had posted a flight time for the flight and expected to depart at 23:15. Boarding was called at 23:05 and I walked down to the gate. Boarding had not yet commenced although around 5 minutes later the pre-boarding began.
Finally First and Business were allowed to board and I made my way down to the aircraft.

Flight AA0098 ORD-LHR Seat 9J
Aircraft: 777
Departure time: 21:50

Once on board I stowed my bags and settled in whilst the rest of the aircraft boarded.
I heard an announcement that the boarding had completed and we were just waiting on some paper work. I asked one of the crew if I could move to row 8 which was empty. He said he would check and came back a while later and said it was OK. Just as I moved in another crew member came from down the back with a passenger and seated him next to me in 8H. So much for that idea of securing a seat with no one next to me.
The crew member who had re-seated my said something to the other crew member and then gave me a sympathetic look. A little while later he came and asked the guy next to me if he wouldn’t mind moving back to another aisle seat in Business.

Menus and landing cards with fast track invites were given out on the ground before we pushed back at 23:45. My very nice crew member came and informed me he had been told these seats in 8 were not working. He pushed the buttons to make the seat move up and down and said ‘look at me playing with you like a toy’.
He said if I had any trouble with the seat I could just move back to my original seat.

We took off at 00:01 and the flight time was expected to be 7 hours and 5 minutes.

A drinks round was made served with yet another bowl of warmed nuts. The crew member offered to give me another bowl on his return up the cabin but I refused stating I had already had 4 bowls in the last 24 hours.

After the drinks the dinner service began without orders being taken. As this was a late night supper flight the meal is served all at once.
On offer this evening, or should I say morning, were following:

Late Night Supper
To Start

Warm mixed nuts

Dining Service
Please customise your meal from the following options:

Soup
A delicious lemon grass consommé garnished with shiitake mushrooms and green onions.

Salad
Fresh seasonal greens with tomatoes, yellow peppers, cucumbers and sliced Cajun-style chicken breast offered with Sapori d’Arte olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Bread Basket
Assorted gourmet breads

Main Course
Carribbean Crusted Beef

Grilled fillet of beed with Caribbean-style crust, offered with garlic butter and French potato salad

Curried Shrimp and Scallops
Seared shrimp and scallops accompanied by an East Indian curry sauce, served with aromatic jasmine rice and vegetable ratatouille

Garden Lasagne
Lasagne served with a blend of cheeses, complemented by diced zucchini, carrots, and broccoli topped with a tomato basil sauce

Fruit and Cheese Plate
A gourmet cheese plate featuring basil caciotta, white cheddar and cambozola presented with strawberries, grapes, walnuts and dried apricots.

Dessert
Ice Cream
Fair Trade chocolate ice cream topped with marshmallows and chopped walnuts

Fruit and Cheese
Garlic and black pepper caciotta and manchego cheese with fresh grapes and pecans.

Wine List:
Champagne:
Pommery Brut Champagne

It was in 1858 that Madame Louise Pommery took over the reigns of the newly formed Champagne house and began the arduous task of building the historic estate that one sees today. Chardonnay grapes from the Cote des Blancs are the primary contributors to this lively and fresh Champagne that is remarkably smooth with a soft and delightful “mousse” that never wanes on the palate. Very versatile, pairing well with many light dishes.

White Wines:
Wegeler Estate Riesling

A melody of citrus notes – orange, grapefruit and lime – combines with apricot and minerals to form this crisp, sweet wine. Riesling is incredibly food flexible and will enhance a variety of pasta, fish and white meat entrees.

Scarbolo Chardonnay
Azienda Agricola Valter Scarbolo is a family-operated winery with twenty—five hectares of land located on the right bank of the Torre River in the northeast region of Italy. The dry climate with cooling winds from the eats and warm sea air from the south yield warm days and cool nights, which allow the grapes to ripen and produce elegant wines with good structure and balance. The Scarbolo Chardonnay exhibits aromas of Golden Delicious apples, vanilla and freshly baked bread.

Red Wines
Freemark Abbey Napa Valley Merlot

Freemark Abbey is one of Napa’s historic wineries dating back to the 1880s. Much has changed since then, except for the passionate commitment to making wines of great value. Its wines give a true expression of the varieties frown and are designed for a culinary adventure. The Merlot is rich with blackberry and cherry aromas. This wine leaps to life when served with red meats, grilled meaty fish, medium-strength cheeses and pasta.

Santa Ema Barrel Select Carmenere Reserve
In 1917, a young Pedro Pavone-Voglino left his homeland in Italy’s Piedmont wine region and embarked upon a long journey. His pioneering spirit led him to Chile and allowed him to come to know the beauty and benefits of the Maipo Valley, where this Carmenere was produced. Enjoy this well-rounded, full-bodied wine with aromas reminiscent of black cherries, fines herbes, black pepper, and a bit of chocolate.

Sherry:
Emilio Lustau Sherry

Phoenician traders founded a frontier settlement called Shera on the Mediterranean coast. Following Roman and Moorish occupation it became the Spanish Jerez de la Frontera, now know as the Sherry region. Lustau medium Sherry is a hearty aperitif wine, amber in colour, specially fermented and continually blended through the decades of aging to achieve the nutty caramel flavours.

Dessert Wine:
Graham’s Vintage Port

Founded in 1820, W. & J. Graham & Co. maintains its place as one of the most prestigious names in fine Port wines. Careful decanting results in a brilliantly clear and sweet ruby red dessert wine of unequalled charm. Graham’s Vintage Port fulfils its rich heritage with bold brambleberry and plum flavours slowly mellowed to a satin texture.

Beverages:
Cocktails and Aperitifs:

Bloody Mary
Screwdriver

Spirits:
SKYY Vodka
Beefeater Dry Gin
Bacardi Rum
Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch
Jim Beam Black Bourbon
Canadian Club Reserve Blended Whisky
Dewar’s White Label Scotch Whisky
Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whisky

Beers:
Heineken, Amstel Light and select U.S. Beers

Brandy and Liqueurs:
Disaronno Amaretto
Baileys Irish Cream
Kahlua
Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Fine Champagne Cognac

Other Beverages:
Carbonated Beverages
Still and Sparkling Water
American Airlines Premium Blend regular and decaffeinated coffee
Tea
Fruit Juices
Milk

My crew member asked which main I wanted and I said the beef. He then prepared the tray with all the items on the menu and presented it to me. I decided to go with the Chilean red wine which was quite nice.
It seemed to me, and felt like, I had been eating constantly for the last 24 hours and I didn’t really make much of a dent in my dinner.
The crew member asked me if I was done and I said to take it away. He then came back and offered me the ice cream saying ‘you can always make room for ice cream’.
It was rock hard so I had time to let the meal settle before I was able to attack the ice cream.

After I had finished up I set me seat to bed mode and settled in for a few hours sleep. A lot of people complain about the sloped seat on AA but I never really have any difficulty with it. It is quite comfortable and spacious as a seat and when in bed mode the incline is not that great that I slip down the seat.

I awoke from my slumber sometime during the breakfast service.

Breakfast
Select From:

Chilled orange juice
Fresh seasonal fruit
A three cheese omelette accented by saffron onions and accompanied by sausage potato hash
Yogurt
Cereal

Breakfast Breads
A selection of breakfast breads

Express Breakfast

Served 45 minutes prior to landing to allow you to sleep as long as possible
Warm breakfast breads, seasonal fruit and your choice of beverage

Pre-Arrival Beverage
Chilled sparkling or still water with fresh citrus garnish

I lay down trying to get as much sleep as possible but eventually surfaced. I could not get the seat to return to the seated position and moved over to the aisle seat.

My fabulous crew member popped by and asked if I would like something for breakfast but I declined. I said the other seat would not go back up and he mentioned that he felt sorry for me earlier in the flight after I moved which is why he asked the other gent to move to another aisle seat. I thanked him and told him I really appreciated his efforts.

We touched down at 13:09 and parked at a gate at the very end of the pier at LHR. After a long, long walk to immigrations I was pleased to see IRIS was happy today and let me through without any delay.

I made my way down to the Heathrow Express station by 13:30. A 15 minute journey to Paddington and then a two tube ride home had me walking in my door a little over 1 hour after touch down.

Here I leave this journey until next year when my RTW adventure continues.

Thanks for reading I hope you enjoyed it.

The Photos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.