Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My craziest trip to date - An odyssey of premium travel! 108 hours, 16 airlines, C/F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My craziest trip to date - An odyssey of premium travel! 108 hours, 16 airlines, C/F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for the nice report and the pictures. This trip looks like alot of fun!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:32 pm

Awesome report.

I totally agree that the UA first lounge in HKG is the best by far.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:17 am

Good stuff! Keep it coming
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: BD*G,M&M SEN,FB Plat, GF, BA Silver
great report^
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Great TR, thanks for sharing
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by FetePerfection
I think I have jet lag just reading this...but wow thanks for sharing!
Haha! Well my jet lag pretty much stopped after a few flights...

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Jacob,

You've hit the holy grail of airline foods, better than caviar, better than chocolate mousse -

BANG BANG CHICKEN!^

(on the Beijing to Singapore flight)

Congratulations!
Yeah that's a good one isn't it?! I wonder what creative person came up with that dish...
Apparently I had it as well, as it was part of the Chinese menu, but I really can't remember what it was like.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:12 am
Original Poster

HKG-SIN on United Airlines in F

Boarding

Boarding was announced quite early in the lounge, already 45-50 minutes before departure, even though the plane was parked a short two minutes walk from the lounge.
Anyway, rather elegantly the lounge attendant who had served in the lounge approached each passenger individually to give the boarding announcement. Very nice!

The gate was indeed just a short walk from the lounge where most passengers seemed to be already onboard, 40 minutes before departure.
There was a separate exit for first class passengers with a red carpet to the left of the podium, no wait whatsoever.
Inside the passenger bridge I realised why they wanted all passengers to leave the lounge early, there was a manual search of all the hand luggage.
First and business class passengers had a separate line there as well, so it was all over rather quickly. I was probably an easy passenger to search as well, a plastic bag with clothes (for the night flight and in case of a missing suitcase with all these transfers) and a larger bag with a laptop and some papers and magazines.

Once onboard I was welcomed at the door and directed to my seat. The crew onboard were all Asians based in Hong Kong and I can imagine that was a positive thing for the comfort and service onboard. They were all very nice and friendly and provided a very attentive service.

The Boeing 747 had the new United first class suites and I have to say I was very impressed.
The cabin gave a very good first impression and the seat was really comfortable.
I had chosen seat 02K based on recommendations on the internet. The seats 02A and 02K provide a spectacular view during taxi, take-off and landing. I counted and I had a perfect and almost unobstructed view through eight windows in the cabin, without having to move whatsoever. It was almost like sitting in your own private cockpit. Very nice!

Pre-departure drinks were offered, a choice between water, orange juice or sparkling wine.
The drinks were served in plastic glasses, which felt incredibly cheap when you travel in international first class. Out of all flights I think this was the only time during the entire trip I had a drink in a plastic glass onboard a plane.
On the positive side the FAs were honest about serving sparkling wine rather than champagne, the proper champagne was not opened until after take-off.
I had a glass of orange juice to drink.

Socks, ear plugs, and (I think) eyeshades were offered from a basket. Newspapers were also available onboard.

First class was completely full on the flight to Singapore. When I reserved the seat a few days earlier there were only two seats taken in first class according to the seat map, so I assume a fair number of passengers were upgraded in one way or another.

Pics
The UA Boeing 747 at the gate in Hong Kong
The gate, priority boarding for first class to the left on the red carpet
Welcome onboard!
A glass of orange juice before departure

Hong Kong-Singapore, flight UA 895 operated by United Airlines
Departure: 20:05
Arrival: 23:35
Aircraft: Boeing 747-400
Class: First Class
Seat: 02K

A safety demonstration video was shown on the monitors followed by a similar safety announcement by one of the FAs onboard in Cantonese.

The same FA also made a welcome announcement in English to all passengers. Although I understand both safety and security are high priorities, and correctly so, some parts are just over the top.
“You are required by law to follow all instructions given to you by the cabin crew” and a few similar phrases. Surely there must be a nicer and more humane way for a commercial airline to say these things to its paying passengers.

The flight time to Singapore was expected to be 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Pushback right on time at 8.05 pm and after a very quick taxi we took off just ten minutes later at 8.15 pm from runway 25L.
The view from my seat was absolutely spectacular as we taxied and took off in the early evening with all the lights in and around the airport.

Pics
Safety demonstration video

The menu

The first class menu was already available at the seat when we got on the plane in Hong Kong.
Here is the menu and drink list for the evening meal to Singapore:

Pics
The first class menu

Menu Hong Kong-Singapore

First Course
Fresh seasonal greens
With French vinaigrette

Main Course
Oven-baked red snapper with lemon, caper, olive sauce
Mashed potatoes with diced roasted pumpkin and grilled asparagus

Sautéed beef tenderloin in chilli plum sauce
Steamed rice and stir-fried vegetables

Dessert
Apple pie
With cinnamon vanilla sauce

Quick and lite meal
In lieu of our formal meal presentation, we offer a complete service for the lighter appetite

Warm Moroccan spiced chicken with fattoush salad

Roasted pepper and eggplant soup

Apple pie
With cinnamon vanilla sauce

Champagne
Henriot Brut Millésimé 1996 Champagne

White Wine
La Chablisienne La Singulière 2006 Chablis
Saget Domaine De La Perrière 2007 Sancerre
Sonoma-Cutrer Chardonnay 2006 Sonoma Coast

Regional Wine
Rolling Estates Shiraz 2007 Central Ranges, Australia

Red Wine
Girardin Santenay Villages “Vieilles Vignes” 2007 Burgundy
Château Simard 2006 Saint-Émilion Bordeaux
Alexander Valley Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 Alexander Valley
Geyser Peak Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 Alexander Valley

Port Wine
Graham’s Late Bottled Vintage Port 2003

Beverages
Apéritifs, cocktails, spirits, liqueurs and beer

Starbucks coffee will be available throughout the flight
Meal service

After take-off drinks were served with warm nuts. I asked for a glass of champagne and they served the 1996 Henriot champagne which was pretty nice. Top-ups were also offered.
At the same time another FA passed through the cabin to take meal orders, I decided to have the full meal with beef as main course.

The table, hidden in the seat, was prepared for the dinner service and a grey table cloth was placed on my table.
The meal tray was then handed out with the salad, which was quite tasteless in my opinion. And also, meal trays don't quite belong in first class in my opinion. Bread rolls followed as well as more drinks and water.
The salad plate was removed and the main course arrived, the sautéed beef tenderloin with rice. It was also rather average, well not bad itself, just not very tasty, I think someone forgot to add some spices.

I asked for some red wine with my meal. Two of the four red wines mentioned in the drink list were available onboard and I went for the Geyser Peak Cabernet Sauvignon, which was quite tasty although not spectacular

The meal tray was removed and desserts were offered, interestingly no ice cream this time, but a very nice apple pie with vanilla sauce instead. I also had a cup of coffee.

Pics
A glass of champagne and assorted nuts
Salad
Main course
Dessert and coffee
The small bar counter used during the meal service
We’re flying along the Vietnamese coast

The seat and inflight entertainment system

After the meal service it was nice to stretch my legs a bit in the cabin, I then returned to my seat to enjoy the seat and the inflight entertainment system.

The seat, or rather the suite, was a real highlight on the flight. I found it excellent! ^
The seat is very comfortable, and it can be reclined to a fully-flat bed, or of course something in-between, which is what I did.
When in an upright or slightly reclined position there is an ottoman in front of the seat where you can put your feet. Very comfortable position to watch a movie! During the night it becomes part of the bed.

There are also plenty of buttons and socket along the seat panel including a USB and Ethernet socket, something that looked like a socket for an external computer screen, and of course a power socket if you want to use your laptop or any other electronic devices.
There is also a nicely sized TV-screen to watch and decent noise-cancelling headsets were provided.

I have only two negatives to say about the suite.
I actually found it slightly uncomfortable to eat in. When in an “upright position” the seat is actually not horizontal/vertical, it is facing backwards. So when it’s time to eat you have to lean forward a bit and that’s not very comfortable.
Also, if moving to a high-level discussion regarding first class suites, the suite is not particularly private. I don’t actually care much about that, but I made the reflection as I was taking photos and usually prefer to do so when few people are around or see what I am doing. Those moments simply did not exist.
Just some reflections from my side, all-in-all it’s a very nice seat to spend some time in.

Pics
The first class suite
The suite seen from the front
Seat controls, IFE controls, USB and Ethernet port. Very nice!
Great legroom, watching Friends on the large personal screen
The first class cabin after the meal service

The inflight entertainment system was quite good as well with full AVOD and a decent selection of TV-series, movies, audio, audio books and games.

But probably best of all channel 9 was available onboard through the IFE which is a great feature onboard United, and it was turned on during the entire flight. Of course on this modern Boeing 747 there was nothing actually called “channel 9”, it was found in the audio part of the IFE, nowadays called “from the flight deck”.
It was really interesting listening to the various Asian ATCs. For quite some time we were in contact with “Ho Chi Minh Control” in Vietnam and all kinds of interesting airlines passed by.
Eventually we were handed over to “Singapore Radar” which sounded just as efficient as everything else in that country.

Pics
The inflight entertainment system
Channel 9! Yay!

Arrival in Singapore

Just after 11 pm we started our descent to Singapore Changi airport and I followed the descent on Channel 9.

An interesting thing in the UA first class suite is that there is not just a seatbelt to fasten during take-off/landing/turbulence, there is also a shoulder strap to use, which is fastened in the seatbelt.
I have never seen that on any other airline, on any other aircraft. When I was waiting in the galley after landing out of curiosity I actually asked one of the FAs about this. The only answer she could give was a rather diplomatic “for your safety”, but at the end she did not know either.
Anyone who knows the story behind the shoulder straps, please feel free to enlighten me.

We finally landed at 11.35 pm, right on time, on runway 20R. Again I got a very nice view of the landing and the final approach from my seat.
United Airlines uses the new terminal 3 at Changi.

Pics
Final approach to Singapore, I’m following every movement on the screen through channel 9

Verdict

Great first class suite, very friendly crew who provided attentive service and who addressed me by name a few times, excellent punctuality, decent IFE and very nice to have channel 9 to listen to.
The meal service was rather underwhelming though. I understand this flight was just a short hop of a much longer flight (the flight had arrived from Chicago in the late afternoon), but I still think they could have done much more out of it.

Next it’s time for one of the real highlights during this trip, probably the flight I was mostly looking forward to of all flights, and I was absolutely overwhelmed by the experience. It was a crazy flight!
It’s probably going to be a rather long instalment, and I have a massive number of photos from the flight to upload first, but spare with me...

Next stop: the Emirates First Class suite...

Last edited by jacob_m; Sep 11, 2010 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Your experiences with UA seem to match mine....

New C/F are excellent hard products, nut the soft product in general (service, food, check-in, etc.) is below average for Internation C/F.

I dumped UA and moved my business to LX and TK and do not regret it. Both are coming up with excellent hard products now, and their soft products are just miles ahead.

But I am glad you enjoyed UA!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Great report, as always from you

Nice pictures too. UA really are outrageously cheap with their wine choices, though - and I just loathe those very squat plastic glasses they use for water (as seen in one of your photos) though I guess they are very stable. The new F suite looks good though, your pictures of it are excellent.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA/AA Marriott/LeClub
Amazing report. I can't wait for your next installment.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by jacob_m
Boarding
An interesting thing in the UA first class suite is that there is not just a seatbelt to fasten during take-off/landing/turbulence, there is also a shoulder strap to use, which is fastened in the seatbelt.
I have never seen that on any other airline, on any other aircraft. When I was waiting in the galley after landing out of curiosity I actually asked one of the FAs about this. The only answer she could give was a rather diplomatic “for your safety”, but at the end she did not know either.
Anyone who knows the story behind the shoulder straps, please feel free to enlighten me.
My understanding is that it's because the angle of the seat is not longitudinally in line with the aircraft. I thought the FAA gave airlines the option to either use shoulder straps or airbags in the seat to provide adequate protection.

I'll admit I could be wrong on this one, though.

Great report.

Greg
Old Aug 19, 2010, 5:49 am

Programs: Various
Great report. I am looking forward to the rest.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:24 am

Just the info I have been looking for

Very nice reading and the Intro ARN-PEK with CA in the 777 bisiness cabin was info I have been looking for. Verdict from various sites on the net have been disapointing but your experince with Air China 777 C sounds OK to me.

Did you have problem to get 11th row? Was it blocked upon booking?
Any ideas about the webcheckin. I read something about "opening at 14.00" regardless of departure?

BTW planing and booking the trip was ...well what kind of tools this time?
Orbitz work for me and give me a hint of the pricing on variour routes.

Again super reading.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GRUflyer
Your experiences with UA seem to match mine....

New C/F are excellent hard products, nut the soft product in general (service, food, check-in, etc.) is below average for Internation C/F.

I dumped UA and moved my business to LX and TK and do not regret it. Both are coming up with excellent hard products now, and their soft products are just miles ahead.

But I am glad you enjoyed UA!
Indeed the UA hard product is way better than the UA soft product.

I thoroughly enjoyed the seat. The inflight service was also quite nice, not spectacular, but nice. I think the fact that we had an Asian crew made the difference, I never saw them chatting in the galley.

The meal service was underwhelming though. Pre-departure drink is a plastic glass (I find those plastic glasses ugly), the meal served on a tray (come on, that's business class), no proper appetiser, and a meal without much flavour.
It's a pity really when the cabin was nice and the crew friendly. I'm sure they were fully qualified to perform a proper first class meal service à la CX or SQ, but were just not given a chance.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freeman300
Very nice reading and the Intro ARN-PEK with CA in the 777 bisiness cabin was info I have been looking for. Verdict from various sites on the net have been disapointing but your experince with Air China 777 C sounds OK to me.

Did you have problem to get 11th row? Was it blocked upon booking?
Any ideas about the webcheckin. I read something about "opening at 14.00" regardless of departure?

BTW planing and booking the trip was ...well what kind of tools this time?
Orbitz work for me and give me a hint of the pricing on variour routes.

Again super reading.
I saw your question in the SAS forum, glad my report was any help. That's one of the reasons I try to write detailed reports...

Regarding Air China business class it was fine, you have my honest opinion in the report.
I think they are actually trying, and are improving, and should get some credit for that. There was not single moment when I got the feeling they were not doing their best (or what they thought was the best).
But of course they have some aircrafts left to refurbish and some English skills to improve.

Regarding the booking four tickets were used during the trip, all four booked through various sources (SAS website, Orbitz, SAS Eurobonus member service and Travellink e-mail/telephone sales).
The CA segment was booked on the SAS webpage, which I am sure you are familar with.

It was not possible to prebook a defined seat on ARN-PEK (but strangely on PEK-SIN). I could just give a seat preference (window seat) and it booked me in 12A.
The flight was booked as SAS codeshare, I don't know if that made a difference.

CA web check-in was open in the morning on the day of departure (I think I tried around 10 am). It just didn't work for me...

Next instalment will be up in 1-2 hours now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.