Search

DUB-BOS with EI in J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 7:51 pm
soy
Original Poster

Programs: various
DUB-BOS with EI in J

First time flying TATL with EI in about 2 years. These days I usually fly *A and prior to that, scaryteam (at least until DL took over NWA).
Arrived in DUB 2.5 hrs before departure and headed for EI check-in, no queue at Business/Gold Circle line and agent checked me in professionally and without issue. No comments made regarding lounge, however I know where it is so not a problem. Per request, agent changed my seat to aisle seat (from 25A to 16C) - no aisle available at on-line check-in, so I figured wait until the airport.
Onwards and through security at DUB, takes about 15 mins from start of queue to other side. Again nothing strange, though personally I find DUB security to be packed with jobsworths (much like TSA). Today, however no issues despite the airport being very busy with holiday pax.
EI Lounge was busy, with other passengers departing for US flights, however things thinned out fairly quickly there as the other flights departed. Usual selection of newspapers present, with choice of 5 Irish papers and EI magazines.
Food selection appeared to be improved from my previous vists to DUB lounge with selection of apple, orange, banana, yogurt, bread rolls, croissants, muffins, crackers, breads, cheese, sandwiches, pretzels, chocolate snacks. Drinks were freshly squeezed OJ (which was very good), tea, coffee, beers (Guinness, Heineken, Carlsburg and Bud) soft drinks and spirits. On the wine front, there was a merlot and a pinot grigo (merlot was ok).
Though there is signage that flights are not called, they did announce boarding of the BOS flight at T-70mins. I held tough and left the lounge at T-50mins to allow the queues to dissipate at the immigration pre-clearance. As we were the last flight of the day to use the pre-clearance in DUB, I knew there was no point in rushing down to join in the queues. Sure enough when I did go down there were only 3 in front of me and I more or less got straight through. Personally I believe it to be a huge advantage to be able to clear US immigration in DUB. The agents there are more civil and there is nothing worse that arriving into a crowded US immigration hall after a long flight.
As expected they had not started boarding at the gate, and there was a further 10-15 mins before boarding started. When it did, they called business and those needing assistance first. EI do not have priority boarding for gold circle members which is strange and something they should reconsider IMHO. They then boarded by row number starting from the back. I was in no rush as for the first time in ages, I had checked my luggage as I was using my large case.
Things then took a turn for the better, as I handed my boarding pass to the agent and got the irregular beep (that I used to love hearing when NWA were running their phantom upgrade program). The screen said that 16C had already boarded and I was reassigned to 1D. Agent used pen to overwrite my seat number and told me I had a seat change. Mucho happy as this meant I would get to try out the relatively new seat in EI premier. Last time I flew in EI biz, they still had the old recliners.

EI have 30 seats in business class and they were 26/30 full on this flight. Y was totally full, hence my upgrade. Was promptly offered amenity pack, menu and glass of champagne. Amenity pack ok by biz standards (ear plugs, toothbrush, toothpaste, lip balm, eyeshades, socks, crabtree&Evelynn lotion, razor and shave cream), however I feel it has deteriorated since I was last in EI business 2 years ago. I recall the amenities being a better brand previously (clarins?). Still its a match for the TATL competition from Ireland (US/DL/AA/CO). Doors closed and we pushed back on time.

Service onboard was acceptable. Not up to Asian standards - for example my glass was not automatically refilled - but comparable to my experiences with US airlines. Cabin crew were generally pleasant and professional in service delivery.
All EI long haul fleet are now renovated with new seats and AVOD. Biz has angled lie flat which are pretty decent. They are somewhat like the SQ spacebed in that the armrest also retracts to give a decent width of bed. Pillows are nice and the duvets are very good (like the DL ones) and are a big improvement on the blankets that you get with some carriers.

AVOD however, is rather limited with about 10 movies, 20 TV offerings and the music selection. That said the movies are all new releases, however I am not a big one for movies on planes, so it does not bother me too much.

Once we reached cruising altitude, there was a bar service and then lunch was served. Todays menu was as follows;

Lunch

A selection of hot and cold canap้s

Vegetable Samosas

Gravlax – slices of gravlax salmon with traditional garnishes
or
Parma Ham with Honeydew melon

Bread – A selection of warm bread rolls
Tomato and fennel
Multi cereal
White
Herbs de provence

Salad Bowl – a selection of mixed leaves garnished with carrots, tomato and radish, served with a vinaigrette dressing.

Fillet Steak – tender fillet steak in garlic butter served with grilled mushrooms and a julienne of mixed vegetables
or
Roasted Barbary Duck – Breast of duck served with a rich plum chutney, herb mashed potatoes, broccoli and red cabbage.
or
Grilled sole – fillet of grilled sole served with a tomato and blue cheese rosti, fresh asparagus and fresh vegetables
or
Mushroom Tortellini – Creamy mushroom tortellini coated in a fresh pesto sauce served with roasted diced vegetables ad fresh asparagus.

Desserts
A choice of hot or cold desserts
Warm Sticky Toffee Pudding
or
Apple Custard Cake – served with a choice of cr่me anglaise or summer fruit coulis
or
Fresh fruit salad

Cheese Plate – A selection of Irish and Continental Cheeses

Selection of teas or coffee

Afternoon Tea

Open Face Sandwiches

Warm Scones – choice of fruit, plain, brown, toffee or white chocolate & raspberry, served with strawberry jam and clotted cream.

Selection of teas or coffees.

Wines
Sancerre La Guiberte 2009 Alain Gueneau, Loire Valley, France
Pinot Grigo Dolomotti 2009 IGT, Alois Lageder, Alto Adige, Italy

Champagne Jean Pernet Cuvee Tradition N.V.

Yarra Valley Shriaz viognier 2007, De Bortolli, Victoria Australia
Valdunes 2004, Bodegas tierra Adentro, Ribera del deuro, Spain

Apertiffs – Vermouth sweet, bloody Mary, spirits, Irish Whiskey, Scotch, Bourbon, Canadian Tye, Gin, Rum, Cognac VSOP.
Others - Heineken, Budweiser, Soft drinks, tonic, soda water, Ginger Ale, Bitter Lemon, Coca Cola, Sprite, Orange, Cranberry Juice, Spring Water.

I had the gravlax and the beef fillet. Food was quite good, and presentation was of a good standard. Beef was overdone but then again it almost always is at 30k ft. The Sancerre and the Spanish red were also quite good.

After meal service the crew dispensed bottles of water and then more or less disappeared until afternoon tea.

Afternoon tea was served about an hour out from BOS.

We touched down on schedule and were quickly off the plane. Unfortunately baggage claim took a long time (40mins) thus reminding me why I usually try to avoid checking luggage. They are not really good at doing priority luggage, though I presume baggage handling at BOS is outsourced.

All in all a good flight. EI business product is certainly a match for the competition on the TATL routes. There are some areas for improvement such as (priority boarding and baggage for gold circle) that could be implemented for little to no cost.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:35 am

Thanks so much for the menu transcript.. Looks quite good.. I agree.. pre clearance of immigration at DUB is great..( Actually just flew from Bermuda to JFK and immigration clearance was done in BDA as well!)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.