Search

Honolulu on AA F and trying some local grinds

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:49 pm
aw
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Honolulu on AA F and trying some local grinds

$100 each way from San Francisco to Hawaii! Who would have thought that pigs could fly after all... I couldn't believe my eyes when I came upon that fare browsing through AA's site. A fare like this was too good to pass so with credit card in hand I booked my ticket and was ready for my escapade to paradise.

No matter how many times I have been to Hawaii, the allure of the destination always fills me with excitement. It's hard to say if it is the laid back nature of the place, exotic food, beautiful scenery & people or interesting fusion of cultures but there is something about it that really seduces me. For this visit I set my sight on food and will try to sample a variety of local grinds. Food has always been a big part of my life. I grew up in different places throughout my life and my father used to own an import business as well as several restaurants throughout his career. In college I wanted to become a chef so I obtained a degree in hotel management but never pursued that path. I ended up working for an airline (actually two but no longer work at this industry) after college and that is how I got sidetracked and addicted to travel. When it comes to dining what I look for is good honest food. Period. I don't care much about ambience and to a lesser degree service. How do I define "honest" food? Food from the heart cooked with passion. Ideally humble places that take pride in providing a hearty, satisfying and well prepared meal without all the fancy celebrity names and prohibitive prices. Fantastic food does not necessarily has to be expensive. That is my "modus operandi" when it comes to looking for places to eat.

AA 39 SFO-HNL
763 - F/C
Seat 5H - Dept. 910A

As luck would have it, my flight was delayed for 2 hrs and I received a call at around 5:30A from AA advising me that the flight will now depart at 11:00A. I arrived at the airport at around 10A and I learned that the dept. has been pushed back to 12P. The night before I checked the seat map and it showed a lot of empty seats in F, so I approached the gate agent and asked if it would be possible to keep the seat next to me blocked. She types something on the computer and with a smile said "It's done, Mr aw." Having a bunch of Applause certificates left, I gave her one in gratitude for her effort and attitude. I then go to the terminal next door and browse through the Chinese pottery exhibition over at UA's side. By 11:20A I return to the gate and wait patiently for boarding. Wheelchairs passengers are taken down the jetbridge and then minutes later the agents board the F cabin. I make my way down to my seat noticing that water bottles and menus were already placed on the seats. Due to the late departure our breakfast was switched to lunch and it was catered as a regular transcon.

The crew took pre-dept. drink orders and was pretty much proactive in getting people settled and ready for departure. Minutes later we pushed back and I had a view of downtown SFO in the distance during the climb. Afterwards the service started and hot towels were distributed along with a tropical mix containing cashews, almonds, candied nuts, and pieces of pineapple. The FA offered seconds in case people wanted more. The cart was rolled down and the lunch service started with a salad offered with sour cream herb dressing or Sapori olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Entrees were open faced roast beef sandwich or shrimp cold plate and for dessert the choices were chocolate ice cream topped with marshmallows and chopped walnuts or fruit & cheese plate.

Plane at the gate in SFO

Bottles of water and menus

Pushback from gate

Tropical nut mix

Salad

Shrimp Cold Plate

Shrimp tikka flavored with garam masala and jalapeno pepper, accompanied by mango chutney and a lentil salad with Thai vinaigrette.

Cheese and fruit plate

At the conclusion of the lunch service FA's walked around to make sure that psgrs were OK. A movie was shown on the overhead monitors but I did not partake on it. Most psgrs decided to sleep at this point. On the menu there was a baked on board cookies before arrival but this never materialized. I guess Hawaiian flights do not have an arrival snack on a regular basis.

Arriving into HNL

to be continued with Fish Auction Market and local grinds....

Last edited by aw; Jul 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:45 pm
aw
Original Poster

Honolulu Fish Auction

Located at the end of Pier 38, the United Fishing Agency started the Honolulu Fishing Auction in 1952 and is modeled after the famous Tokyo auction where fish is sold individually rather than directly to wholesalers who dictate the prices. It is the only fish auction of its kind between Tokyo and Maine and the only fresh tuna one in the US. The way the auction works is by allowing independent fishermen to sell directly to buyers representing the wholesale, retail and restaurant sectors through bidding. Competitive bidding generates fair pricing based on market's conditions supply and demand. In general higher quality fish is sold at higher prices ensuring a fair return to the catcher.

The work starts at 1:00A six days a week when boats unload their catch and the fish are weighed, tagged with the vessels's name and placed on pallets inside a room where they are kept clean and cold. Afterwards the fish is inspected for quality and safety by the agency staff before going out for sale. Standards are pretty stringent from what I understand. Some of the most popular species caught are big eye tuna, moonfish and mahimahi, and up to 160,000 lbs of fish is auctioned in a day. An interesting fact I discovered is that 80% of the seafood in the US market is imported and Hawaii's seafood consumption is 3X the national average per person.

Pier

Tuna

Moonfish

Bidding

Nico's Pier 38

Located a few steps from the market, Nico's sits unpretentiously on a corner surrounded by plastic tables and chairs by its entrance. The place seems to have quite a local following judging by some of the reviews that I have read and it was recently featured on the Food Network during a special segment on Hawaii by Guy Fieri. Once you step inside you order from a counter and there are daily specials during lunch which starts at 10:00A. My arrival was earlier so I opted for a breakfast of eggs and fish (catch of the day was ahi). I placed my order with a friendly clerk and stepped outside to have a seat. Minutes later my breakfast was delived in a take out container. I opened the box with slight anticipation and I was not disappointed by its contents - buried underneath my two sunny side up eggs were two meaty pieces of ahi that were perfectly seasoned and cooked. It was just as I expected - fresh and delicious. The accompaniments of rice and fruit took a second role in comparison and the small container of tartar sauce was hardly needed. My only regret is that I did not have enough time to come back and try the lunch specials, but I took consolation knowing that it would make a good excuse to return to Hawaii on a future trip.

Nico's

Breakfast

Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I'm liking AA more and more.

767 to HNL from the West Coast is the exception and not the rule. Most of the time, they are run by domestic 757.

Thanks for the great pics.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:01 pm
aw
Original Poster

Shirokiya Food Court

Located at one end of Ala Moana mall near Macy's, Shirokiya (which is now locally owned) provides a good introduction to Japanese food through its cornucopia of stands on its second floor. For the bento box aficionado, this is bento heaven. One can buy food by the pound or neatly compartmentilized, cooked or raw, on rice or broth - the myriad of choices is astounding. There are two Japanese pastry shops on the premise, one on the second floor featuring traditional mochi and another one of the lower level (St. Germain) with more "mainstream" stuff. There is also an ice cream mochi stand next to St. Germain on the lower floor with a great assortment of flavors.

Pickles stand

Tempura stand

Octopus snack

Food by the pound

Bento boxes

It wouldn't be Hawaii without Spam musubi

Sweet tooth

More "traditional" pastries at St. Germain

Not quite the real stuff

Ice cream mochi

After so much food it was time to walk and lay on the sun. I decided to walk away from Waikiki and head towards Diamond Head to find a secluded place to relax.

Wakiki

My piece of paradise

Last edited by aw; Jul 20, 2010 at 3:18 pm
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Thanks for this excellent report.
I particularly enjoy the photos fromt the fish market.

I will take you advise and give the dAArk side ( as most UA flyers would call it) a try.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Many thanks for the report so far ^

I love it when trip reports describe (and show) local color and depict experiences that are not common in our everyday lives.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
An excellent report and nice photos.

One minor quibble; there's a fish auction in Hilo on the Big Island as well.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:52 pm
aw
Original Poster

Thank you BlissWorld, UA_Flyer, Non-NonRev and greggwiggins for your comments.

BlissWorld - 767's from West Coast to HNL are indeed the exception. I think the only carriers that fly widebodies besides AA's seasonal equipment upgrade are UA, DL (out of LAX) and HA.

UA_Flyer, you might find things a bit "brighter" once you switch to the dAArk side, especially when it comes to F catering on transcon flights.

Non-NonRev - "local color" is something to keep in mind for future reports. Glad you enjoyed this one so far.

greggwiggins - thanks for that link about the other fish auction in Hilo.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:57 pm
aw
Original Poster

Ono Hawaiian Foods

Located along Kapahulu Av. among a myriad of other restaurants, Ono stood out with people lining up to get in during dinner time. I was there on a Wed. at around 7:30P and yes, there was a line. A nice gentleman came out, handed out menus, wrote my names on a pad and advised us that laulaus were sold out. Fair enough, On a previous visit during lunch time long time ago I remember having a memorable meal so I had high expectations to be "vowed" again. Half an hour later I was seated and decided to order a plate special for $14.25 consisting of chicken luau (cooked in coconut milk and taro leaves), pipikaula (dry beef jerky), lomi salmon, onions, rice and haupia (coconut gelatin). I was dining alone so I figured that this arrangement was the most appropriate one allowing me to sample a variety of dishes.

Service was efficient and friendly but unfortunately my assessment about the food cannot be as positive. The chicken luau was very bland and the portion of the lomi salmon a bit skimpy which did not make the plate special such a great value. Perhaps my expectations were too high or I did not order the right dish, but given all the endorsements and my own previous experience eating here I was expecting more.

Plate special

Leonard's Bakery

A few blocks up from Ono you stumble upon Leonard's Bakery, a landmark famous for its malasadas - delectable small balls of fried dough dusted with sugar originating from the Madeira Island and brought to Hawaii by Portuguese laborers back in the late 1870's. This stuff makes for almost a cultist following and I confess that I am a hopeless convert ever since the first bite I took many years ago. I order a plain, haupia and custard one. The clerk hands me a bag with this delightful trio inside still warm from coming right off the fryer. I sit on the bench outside and devour each one of them with gusto concluding my gastronomic experience for the night.

Leonard's

The main protagonists

The supporting cast

On my last day I decided to take one last walk around Waikiki and have breakfast at Duke's. The breakfast buffet for $14.95 is quite extensive and I specially enjoy the french toasts with coconut syrup and Portuguese sausages.

Good bye Waikiki

My return to SFO was confirmed via LAX at 9:05P but I decided to standby for the nonstop at 1:00P. According to the EXP agent, there was only 2 Fseats available for sale on the day of departure but when I checked the map it showed 10 unassigned seats. The chances were good that I would be confirmed in F so I arrived at the airport about 1 1/2 hours before dept. There was a huge line at the counter and only 3-4 agents working at the front. I stood on the F/C line and in about 5 minutes I was on my way to the gate. Once there I was called almost right away and given my seat assignment. There were a lot of empty seats in F and once the door closed I counted 5 unoccupied seats.

AA 28 HNL-SFO
763 F/C
Seat 3D Dept. 1:00P

Water bottles were already placed at each seat and I was pleasantly surprised to see some of the same FA's working my inbound flight. We exchanged greetings and the purser welcomed me warmly. There was a family from Brazil in row 2 with two children who behaved perfectly throughout the flight and the seat next to me was vacant. A Hawaiian menu consisting of one page was distributed. Here is the content:

To Start

Tropical mixed nuts.

Salad

Fresh seasonal greens with asparagus and daikon radish, offered with Greek vinaigrette or spicy Asian dressing.

Main course

Teriyaki Beef Fillet
- Teriyaki glazed fillet of beef offered with broccolini and basmati rice with ginger cilantro pesto. A signature Sam Choy item.

Cheese Ravioli
- Semolina pasta filled with four cheeses, offered with a mushroom tomato cream sauce, sauteed shallots and sliced mushrooms.

On today's flight, we are proud to feature King's Hawaiian rolls.

Dessert

Ice Cream Sundaes
- Vanilla ice cream with a choice of hot fudge, strawberry or sweet coffee toppings, whipped cream and chopped walnuts.

Fruit and Cheese
- A selection of seasonal fruit and fresh cheeses.

Service on this flight was outstanding with FA's making rounds frequently throughout the cabin. As on the previous flight, hot towels were distributed before the meal and nuts refills were offered. As others have commented, the salad plate is bigger than on mainland flights and it seems that there is no difference between lunch and dinner service on Hawaiian flights because this description is printed on the lower part of the menu. The Sam Choy fillet was tender and properly cooked with a hint of pink inside. It is usually hard to reheat steaks onboard but AA did a great job on this flight.

HNL airport

AA 28

Nut mix

Salad and Entree

King's Hawaiian roll

Sundae

This concludes my short stay in HNL. AA provides a very decent product to Hawaii, especially when using a 763. The catering is definitely quite adequate and I enjoyed my flights except for the 3 hrs delay on the inbound.

Thank you for visiting and reading this report.

Last edited by aw; Jul 20, 2010 at 11:05 pm
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:09 am

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like you enjoyed your trip. Wish I had known about the fish auction as we were just on Oahu and would have loved to have gone.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Than ks for a well done trip report!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Thanks again -- a marvelous trip report. I've added Nico's to my "things to do" list when I go back in November.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Great pics and report! Thanks.
Have to try out Nico's when I am in HNL next. The food on AA looks good too.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:45 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for posting a great, well-written report with great pics, too! I've never been to HNL (or most of the places documented in the forum), but I love living vicariously through other FTers.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Thanks for the TR. Was there nothing (main) after the shrimp on the way over to hnl?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.