Search

Moomba's Addiction Continues RTW One World in J

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The booze or the flying?

Looking forward to the rest Moomba.....a bit of a shock to see the letter J in the title though.
Originally Posted by b-kpf
Yes! Another trip report by Moomba. I agree with HIDDY though. It is a bit awkward to see J in the title. Anyway, looking forward to the rest of the report! Your TR seems to always cure me temporarily of the i-want-to-travel-around-the-world-on-premium-products-NOW syndrome.
I can tell you it was a tough decision but in the end the bank balance won the battle. Perhaps it is time I weaned myself off of First class travel anyway.

Thanks for the encouragement b-kpf. HIDDY - you'll keep.
Old May 30, 2010, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
Now what?!? Where he is going to next flight out?
Originally Posted by time2go1st
Moomba, this is a contagious disease and you are contributing to its spread. Moreover, I have my own very specific symptom: when I read your TR's I do get some relief, however when I try to make sense of them in the sense of which flight came next and why/where/in what order/after how much time elapsed, I find myself overwhelmed by an extreme dizziness. To help your fellow-sufferer with this problem, I wonder if it might just be possible for you to post your total itin at the start, so I don't have this sense of waking up in someplace like Helsinki or ARN and have no idea how I got there -- very disorienting, I assure you.

Otherwise -- SPLENDID, keep it up and don't change a thing...
Now now be patient. Isn't the 'Where is Moomba off to next' part of the fun?

There is a clue to one of my stop off points in the Community Buzz forum; think large cabbages.

As I write these 'on the fly' so to speak it will take a quite a while to make it through this ticket. Also, given my past trips, I am quite likely to change the routing at some point.

The coming three months will see me getting on a plane reasonably frequently so you won't have to wait too long between drinks.
Old May 30, 2010, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Hurrah another report from Moomba ^

Hopefully you've managed to sort your ticket out. Mine, also a DONE4, seems to be done for - 3 months and counting still trying to sort it out.
Hi Kiwi Flyer. Thanks for the encouragement.

Nope the AA ticket and Amadeus PNR still don't match. I am just waiting for the next BA sectors to show 'cancelled'

Hopefully I am being too pessimistic and it will sort itself out soon. But I am not holding my breath.
Old May 30, 2010, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Moomba in J! Surely not! Could this be me next?! (Actually if OW axes any more F routes it could well be. )

That's more like it.

Don't stint on the detail!

Seriously, though, another great TR. :-: I (like the rest of the massed acolytes) cannot wait for the next instalments.
I wondered if anyone would pick up on that minor detail I threw in there.

Thanks for the praise, I hope you can travel with Moomba in the near future.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Part 2 LHR-ORD-LAX-SEA

The Photos

I think we shall subtitle the next couple of reports “Confessions of an Addict”.

I shall try to help you understand a little of what goes on inside the head of an addict and the absurd things an addict can talk themselves into.

As many of you know one of the challenges or benefits, depending on your addiction status level, is to work out how you are going to break up the RTW ticket. I imagine most people don’t have the time to do a complete RTW without stopping off somewhere along the journey. Of course those of you retired folk can do a whole RTW in one hit and some may choose to take an extended break from work. This is not an option for me as I need to work to generate income. If I don’t work I don’t get paid. Such is the life of a contractor.

To that end, breaking up the trip, I started planning out the year, and next year for that matter. I had to work out where I needed to be and when and then started to see if I could work on some economical break points for this ticket.

Usually this is achieved by use of miles in the various frequent flyer programmes to which I belong or courtesy of some good J class fares (which have the added bonus of scoring more FF points) and in this particular case the use of my lovely AA eVIP certificates.

My planning had me originally heading West in mid June but my need to change a previous return flight from Oz to early July put the kibosh on that thought. I looked for other dates and settled on a long weekend at the end of August. So I had found a break point LAX in August. Now how do I go about sorting out the flights to and from the UK.

Now listen carefully because this is how the addicted mind works. “I know I can use eVIP to get me to LAX some other time and then use the return of that to come back in August”. Now how do I get back from the original outbound on this AA eVIP ticket? Let me see what is available using my miles hoard. Brilliant I can get myself back to LHR in June and go to LAX for a weekend. Cool sorted.

Then came the realisation that I have been hoodwinked by my addiction. Yes I could have just used miles to get back from LAX and forgot about the AA ticket.
This revelation only occurred to me after ticketing the flights. I still have to work out how to get back to LAX again to pick up the RTW but that is another 10 weekends in the planning.

Oh I forgot to mention my return from this trip, using miles, needed to start in SFO so I had to get from LAX to SFO. Easy you say. Not for an addicted flyer. Instead of a simple 1 hour something direct flight I opted for a LAX-SEA-SFO with overnight in Seattle. Wouldn’t everyone do this?

Enough of my addicted ramblings and on with the report of a mostly pointless trip to the US. Pointless that is unless you are a passionately addicted flying nutter.

My early start to this trip was courtesy of the eVIP availability of my AA flights to the US. I decided to stay overnight at an airport hotel so that I didn’t have to get up before I was awake in order to make the flight.

I took one of the free public busses to Heathrow and made the long walk from Heathrow Central Bus station to T3. I walked all the way down to the Flagship check-in area only to find it closed. I then had to double back to the AA desks at the other end of the airport. Great arrangement that is!

I asked if the agent could check me in for my LAX-SEA flight which was to be on AS but despite their close alliance this was impossible. I said could she give me the AS reference so that I could check-in online. She wrote down the reference on my AA itinerary I had printed.

She informed me the new Flagship lounge was now open and asked me if I knew where it was. I said I did and thanked her and went on up to security.

Fast track was reasonably fast at that hour of the morning more due to lack of passengers flying than any efficiency on the part of the security personnel.

I made a beeline for the BA lounge and proceeded to the F lounge entry point. I asked the agent if he needed my AA EXP card as I was searching my wallet and travel wallet. It had disappeared. He said not to worry the number was in the system and he let me in.

This was my first time in the BA T3 lounge since the F section opened. It looks pretty much like the T5 F lounge with similar set up and offerings including the champagne bar which is smack in the middle of the lounge.

Whilst I am here don’t mind if I do, even though it is only 06:15. On offer were Lanson 99, Lanson Pink and the Paillard Pink. I grabbed some fruit in a vein attempt to be healthy and then broke down and ordered a bacon and egg sarnie from the menu.

Elsewhere in the lounge there was a range a cereals, fruit, bread, breakfast pastries and various juices, coffee, tea and of course alcohol enough to cause a coma.

I went to the bank of computers and attempted to check-in with AS. It didn’t like the code the agent gave me. On closer inspection I realised she had given me the AA record locator and not the AS one. Very helpful, especially since the AA one was printed at the top of the page she wrote the number on for me!

It was time for another new lounge visit. I exited the BA lounge and doubled back and over to the AA lounge. There is now one entrance for the lounges and one of the agents needs to swipe you into the F section if you are allowed in there. I asked this agent if they could locate the AS locator for my flights but she was unable to help as well. Why is it the AA EXP reps on the phone can give me this information but not anyone at the airport? Oh well looks like a job for ORD or LAX.

I was let into the lounge and had a bit of a mosey around. There were some rooms with large TVs for watching away from the general lounge, a limited selection of food that now contains at least one hot element. The British liking for a hot bacon roll seems to have encroached on the hallowed halls of the AA Flagship lounge.
There were some computers placed around the room but a distinct lack of any telephones.

I left the lounge before being called at around 07:10 and made my way to the gate which was at the far end of one of the arnms of the main concourse.

At the gate everyone else had already boarded and I was able to breeze up to the Priority AAcess lane and then straight on to the plane.

Flight AA0099 LHR-ORD Seat 12J
Aircraft: 777
Departure time: 07:55

The crew member manning the door said hello to me which was a bit of a shock and directed me to the other side of the aircraft.

I had stowed my bag and was seated by 07:17 for a 07:55 flight.

The plane continued to fill up as the other lounge occupants must have been called to the plane.

The captain came on the horn and told us of a flight time of 7 hours and 37 minutes.
The menus were handed out on the ground and shortly afterwards the orders were taken, observing the FEBO rules. The crew member working my side used my name when asking me for my order and continued to use my name every time he spoke to me for the remainder of the flight.

We pushed back at 07:54 and made the long taxi to the runway. We took off into the morning sky at 08:14.

As soon as the crew ding went off they were out handing out the BOSE headsets with the latest model inside the container. After this the drinks trolley was rolled out and I decided it was going to be a long day and opted for a tomato juice.

On the way back up the aisle the crew member filled my glass again.

Hot towels were passed out next and then the brunch service began.

BRUNCH
To Start:

Your choice of juices
Orange, Tomato, Apple

A selection of fine traditional and herb teas

Fresh seasonal fruit

Yogurt

Cereal served with seasonal berries

Breakfast Breads:
A selection of breakfast breads

Main Course:
Smoked Cheddar and Chive Omelette

A smoked cheddar cheese and chives omelette with balsamic caramelized onions, asparagus and a tomato stuffed with bacon accented potatoes

Blueberry Pancakes
Pancakes prepared with blueberries, served with cherry maple sauce and chicken sausage

Grilled Chicken Risotto
Grilled chicken breast served on spinach risotto with sautéed mushrooms and red bell peppers

Wine List:
Champagne:

Pommery Brut Champagne

White Wines:
Wegeler Estate Riesling

Scarbolo Chardonnay

Red Wines:
Arrowood Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon

Cyan Prestigio

Emilio Lustau Sherry

Dessert Wine:
Graham’s Vintage Port

The fruit was delivered on the tray to my seat and an offer of more to drink was made. Breakfast breads were also offered at this time. I chose a plain whole wheat roll.
There was no offer made to have the cereal or yogurt, but this was the only downer in a generally superb flight. My main meal was handed out shortly after and it was particularly nice. The only criticism I would have is that the chicken was a little overdone, but not by much. The risotto and mushrooms were beautifully flavoured, well for airline food they were.

Coffee, tea, other drinks were offered again at the close of the meal. I was also offered more bread and chose a scrummy looking cinnamon roll which is a new offering from AA (well at least for me it is). After I have polished of my meal the crew took away the empty tray.

I played with the IFE but nothing much inspired me on the movie front so took part in my favourite flying activity; watching the world fly by below and listening to music.

I also read some of my latest novel before finally having a catnap.

During the flight a crew member was out every 15 minutes or so to see if anyone needed a drink.

Midway through the flight the crew came out with trays of the mid flight snack.

Mid-Flight Snack:
A selection of gourmet cheeses offered with fresh seasonal fruit and assorted crackers
Or
Assorted snack items are also available

I did not take up the offer of the cheese course.

There is not a lot more to say about this flight to this point, some turbulence as we crossed the east coast of Canada, as usual. As usual, on AA, the seat belt sign came on and stayed on for an age even though it was smooth sailing for quite a while.

About 2 hours out of Chicago the second meal was served.

Light Meal:
To Start:

Warm mixed nuts

Main Course:
Grilled Beef Tenderloin

Grilled fillet of beef served chilled with caramelized onions, offered with a green salad with asparagus, Parmesan cheese and roasted pepper dressing.

Coconut Shrimp
Coconut encrusted shrimp served with mango chutney and potato salad with French beans and red onions

Dessert:
A moist, rich date and toffee cake

Beverages:
Cocktails and Aperitifs:
Bloody Mary
Screwdriver

Spirits:
SKYY Vodka
Beefeater Dry Gin
Bacardi Rum
Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch
Jim Beam Black Bourbon
Canadian Club Reserve Blended Whisky
Dewar’s White Label Scotch Whisky
Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whisky

Beers:
Heineken, Amstel Light and select U.S. Beers

Brandy and Liqueurs:
Disaronno Amaretto
Baileys Irish Cream
Kahlua
Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Fine Champagne Cognac

Other Beverages:
Carbonated Beverages
Still and Sparkling Water
American Airlines Premium Blend regular and decaffeinated coffee
Tea
Fruit Juices
Milk

Oh the warm nuts, give me my warm nuts. Hmmm, warm nuts and scotch and dry ginger ale. What a way to start a meal. Simple things! No extra nuts were offered by the crew but my drink was refilled as the crew member moved back up the cabin.

I decided to go with the beef fillet which was served cold. It was a little tough but quite tasty especially with the caramelised onions on the top. I opted to give the Cabernet Sauvignon a try and it wasn’t bad.

The cake was a tad on the dry side.

With the flight almost over it was time to collect the BOSE headsets and prepare the cabin for landing.

Not before the pre-arrival service round was made.

Pre-Arrival Beverage:
Chilled Sparkling Water with a fresh fruit Citrus Garnish

I chose to partake along with my seatmate, but very few other people did. This seems to be the norm and I am surprised AA persists with this little ritual.

We touched down at 09:40 in the morning with still a whole day of travel waiting for me.

One of the benefits of sitting near the front of an AA aircraft is that most people go to the US lines at immigrations which leave F and J customers of ‘alien’ nationalities to go to the relatively short immigration lines for us.

I waited no longer than 10 minutes to be processed and was quickly dealt with, after the agent only needed 4 fingers to identify me. There was no questioning involved and as soon as the fingers and photo were done and the I-94 W stapled into my passport I was on my way out through customs. I handed in my form and directed out the exit door.

I made my way upstairs to the train to take me over to T3 where AA and, as I noted on the signs, AS also hang out there.

On arrival I attempted to find an AS agent to see if I could get a BP but the desks were unmanned. Oh well, I will give it one more try in the lounge.

I used the Priority Access line to go through security which was very fast although I was admonished for putting something other than my PC alone in one bin.

I made the million mile walk to the Flagship lounge which is at the far end of the K concourse with the K & H concourses forming the two arms of a Y pattern.

Inside the lounge I was greeted by two lovely ladies and I asked if they could help out with the AS boarding passes. One agent said no but the other said sometimes they can get it to work if they marry the two PNRs together. She said leave it with me, have a drink and I will come over later.

I thanked her and made my way into the lounge. The breakfast offerings were still out which consisted of fruits, cereal and I think some oatmeal; I didn’t look in the cauldron.

I grabbed a drink and took a seat and started to read my book. A while later one of the agents left the lounge and the other came over to give me back my printed PNR for the AS flights. She said her colleague had managed to contact AS who had printed the BPs for me and she was collecting them from the AS ticket office.
Wow what service! She actually walked the whole length of the airport to get the BPs for me. What an absolute star.

She came back a while later and handed the LAX-SEA and SEA-SFO boarding passes to me. I thanked her for going out of her way to help me, but she said no bother at all.

I sat around the lounge for an hour and a half or so before asking which gate my next flight left from. The agent typed away and said it is H4 on the other point of the Y. I got some more exercise for the day as I walked back down the K arm of the Y and back up the H arm to the far end where gate 4 was located.

Boarding commenced around 5 minutes after I arrived with First class passengers invited to board first.

Flight AA1347 ORD-LAX Seat 5F
Aircraft: 737-800
Departure time: 13:20

The crew member greeted me on boarding and I made my way to my seat and stowed my gear. The plane quickly filled up including a full complement in the First cabin. This was a 737 with the new F seats that I had never
experienced before. They seem more slimline than the older seats and had a little space to store laptops down under the armrest. The traytable is successfully hidden away so much so that the guy next to me couldn't work out where his was. The armrests flips up but there is nowhere to get a purchase on it and it is not that easy to operate, especially if you don't have nimble fingers.

We closed up and pushed back at 13:21 and taxied out to the runway. We started to hurtle down the runway at 13:35 and within a second of the take off roll commencing the woman in front of my reclined her seat fully! Thank you for compromising my safety darling!

We were informed by the captain that our flying time would be 3 hours and 58 minutes and he briefed us on the routing today.

After the crew ding our orders were taken for the meal again following FEBO. On offer was a beef fajita salad or a chicken poblano sandwich.

Hot towels were handed out before the drinks run. Of course more of the yummy warm nuts were offered with the drink and I again chose a scotch and dry.

The lunch service followed with the purser working the front two rows first complete with meal then drinks, and then followed up with the last two rows.
I did notice that no bread was offered on this service. Is this new for AA domestic F? Strangely enough there was a parmesan and pepper cheese spread on the tray but nothing to spread it on!

I supped on some nice red wine with my fajita salad which wasn’t too bad as far as airline food goes.

After the main meals were cleared away that wonderful aroma of choccie chip cookies could be detected wafting about the F cabin. This part of the flight must be hell for those folk just behind the F curtain.

After the cookies were dished out the purser came out with coffees on a tray with a selection of liqueurs. Nice touch. I grabbed a coffee and Baileys to go with my cookie.

Shortly after this another round of cookies was made but I decided not to take too much of a good thing.

At this stage in the flight I was beginning to hit the wall. It was 22:00 UK time and I had been up at 05:30. I still had another 6 hours to go!

I did do some landscape gazing from 33,000 feet which had me marvelling at some spectacular views including the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley. It was simply stunning viewing to be had on this flight. I pity the poor souls who don’t get a thrill out of looking out an aircraft window. On this flight in particular they missed a great show.

We landed at 15:40 and taxied to our gate. I thanked the great purser on leaving and made my way out. There was a customer service centre next to the gate so I went it and asked about the best way to get to T3 where the AS flights operate out of.

She said to go down one gate further and there are connecting buses that take you to either the Eagle gates or over to T3.

I made my way down and was told that the T3 bus would be 15 minutes or so.

I waited whilst several Eagle buses came and went. Finally the T3 bus showed up and half the waiting room piled out onto the bus. This little ride was quite cool as you get down and dirty with the big monsters as you trundle around from T4 to T3.
When we arrived I asked the agent at the bus gate how often they run between the two terminals and was told every 15-20 minutes. I must have just missed one.

I went on inside the decidedly tired looking T3 building, which is part construction zone. I found the AS gates and asked an agent where the lounge was. He directed me upstairs.

I found the lounge and entered. I was greeted and my BP and passport were checked. I was invited in and attempted to find a seat. It was quite busy in the lounge and I didn’t manage to get an opportunity to take any photos.

There were some snacks and salads on offer with some soup in the cauldron. There was a manned bar with a 3 drink max for free booze.

I grabbed an iced tea from the self serve and sat watching the activity outside.
I decided to try an Alaskan Amber beer after I had quenched my thirst on the tea. Not bad, very malty.

I didn’t wait for any announcements and headed down to my gate and my first experience on Alaska Airlines.

They announced pre-boarding for those with small children under two and those requiring more time to board. After this AS elites and First were asked to board.
I made my way down to the plane and entered a new environment.

Flight AS0457 LAX-SEA Seat 3A
Aircraft: 737-800
Departure time: 17:30

I was welcomed on board and made my way to my seat where I stowed my rollie upstairs and my backpack downstairs.
The cabin filled up and kept on filling. The flight was completely full and the crew did a brilliant job managing to get everyone’s bags stowed. One thing I did note about these AS aircraft is that the overhead bins ask you to stow your roll-aboard bags wheels out. This is contrary to every other airline I have ever flown! The F seat on the AS 738 is quite large and very much like the AA F seats but seem to be a little closer together.

Pushback was at 17:30 and we taxied out to the runway. On the way we passed two QF A380 monsters resting toe to toe in a holding area. Impressive sight it was too.
We took off at 17:39 and into the wild blue yonder. The captain announced a flight time of 2 hours and 8 minutes and eventually turned off the belt sign.

The crew member working the full F cabin got to work offering everyone a drink to start. I decided to stay with the Alaskan Amber, I was flying AS after all.

There were no warm nuts or nibbles with the drink.
There was no choice of dinner meal either although I could have chosen not to have the meal.

The meal was handed out on a tray and was chicken ‘marinara’. It always amuses me this North American use of the word marinara. To most of the world it is a tomato and seafood sauce used with pasta dishes. In North America it seems to mean a warm tomato sauce with any number of added ingredients. In this case it was olives that had been added to the mix. Hmm sounds a bit like chicken cacciatore to me.

Despite the confused naming of the dish it was tasty and not too dry. It was served with a side salad with a small tub of cilantro dressing.

There were plenty of drinks on offer for the remainder of the flight and I was able to do a bit more land gazing on the way up to Seattle.

We touched down at 19:51 and I exited the aircraft. AS uses a satellite terminal at SEA so it was necessary to catch a transit train to the main terminal before exiting out of the airport. I made my way up a level and over to the car park. I then followed the signs to the light rail service to SEA. I just missed a train but another was due to leave in ten minutes. I paid my $2.50 and went up to the platform and hopped on the train. Twenty minutes later I exited the station in downtown Seattle and 5-10 minutes later I was checking into my corner room upgrade at the Seattle Sheraton.

By this time I had been travelling for something like 26 hours and I was sort of kinda stuffed.
I attempted to buck the desire to sleep but eventually crashed around an hour later at 22:00.

Next up the convoluted road home. Part two of the journey into the mind of an addict.

The Photos

Last edited by Moomba; Jun 12, 2010 at 8:14 am
Old Jun 12, 2010, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
A fantastic start to yet another RTW for you Moomba ^

Whilst I too am quite shocked at J rather than F travel, you will surely enjoy it just as much!

I have to say that your trip reports are some of the very best around. Your photos are great, and descriptions vivid.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:31 am

Enjoyable reports, as ever, Moomba. I'm looking forward to the rest.

I'm happy to say that like your experience, my AA flights earlier this year were marked by really attentive service in F in the US and J transatlantic.

Just one question - is there some sort of disruption in the space-time continuum on the taxiways of ARN?

Originally Posted by Moomba
We pushed back at 19:34 and taxied out to the runway. Take off was at 18:44 after which we had some spectacular views of the lovely Swedish countryside before bursting through the clouds.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:38 am

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, HI Diamond, Accor Platinum
Wonderful TR Moomba looking forward to more!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 3:30 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Thanks Moomba!

Will be interesting to see what you have come up with this time...
At least I'm sure some bubbly will be part of it!

Btw, the photo on the first page is the small city of Trosa, around 70 km south from Stockholm. It's a lovely place to visit in the summer, especially to have dinner at one of the old restaurants by the small river.
The city also has an important VOR (navigational aid for aircrafts).
Old Jun 13, 2010, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
A fantastic start to yet another RTW for you Moomba ^

Whilst I too am quite shocked at J rather than F travel, you will surely enjoy it just as much!

I have to say that your trip reports are some of the very best around. Your photos are great, and descriptions vivid.
Thanks Genius 1 it is nice to know all the hard work and time taken on these is appreciated.

Originally Posted by goback
Enjoyable reports, as ever, Moomba. I'm looking forward to the rest.

I'm happy to say that like your experience, my AA flights earlier this year were marked by really attentive service in F in the US and J transatlantic.

Just one question - is there some sort of disruption in the space-time continuum on the taxiways of ARN?
Ooops - fixed, thanks.

I think AA gets an undeserved bad rep on some of the boards on this forum. I do believe the service has picked up significantly in the last year or so.

Thanks for your kind words on the report.

Originally Posted by austgap
Wonderful TR Moomba looking forward to more!
Thanks austgap

Originally Posted by jacob_m
Thanks Moomba!

Will be interesting to see what you have come up with this time...
At least I'm sure some bubbly will be part of it!

Btw, the photo on the first page is the small city of Trosa, around 70 km south from Stockholm. It's a lovely place to visit in the summer, especially to have dinner at one of the old restaurants by the small river.
The city also has an important VOR (navigational aid for aircrafts).
Thanks for that. What ever would give you the impression that bubbly would be involved in my future travels?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Part 3 - SEA-SFO-ZRH-BRU-LON

The Photos

At least I was able to sleep in a bit this morning as my flight down to SFO was not until noon. I took advantage of the free breakfast in the club lounge at the Sheraton and pottered around my room a while. I decided the 10:30ish transit back to SEATAC was the go and so made for the University Street station at the appropriate time.

The transit ride back seemed quicker but wasn’t and we actually sat outside the airport station for a couple of minutes waiting for the train in the platform to exit.

Once I negotiated the walk back to the terminal I located the security lines and found a premium passenger line off to the right of the main security lines which were quite busy. The priority lane really just means jumping the queue a little as all passengers merge into one stream once past the ID check.
The security lines all peeled off the main stream of passengers moving along a back wall. Unfortunately travel seems to bring out the stupids in so many people. It seems this morning they would rather queue up at the first scanner and block anyone moving on to the other scanners which had far shorter queues. Eventually someone got impatient and pushed through the numtpies and started to walk up to the other scanners.
There seemed to be an disproportionately large number of people having naughties in their scanned bags or setting off the scanner. Eventually I was through without issue and made my way down to the transit train to the satellite terminal.

Once there I attempted to locate an AS lounge to no avail. I had not done my homework and it seems I should have stayed in the main terminal building if I wanted to lounge in the lounge.

I decided to stay in the satellite and wait at the gate until boarding was called.

Boarding started with a young children and extra time passengers soon followed up with a First and elites call. I had my BP scanned and made my way down to the aircraft.

Flight AS0312 SEA-SFO Seat 2A
Aircraft: 737-400
Departure time: 12:10

I was greeted on boarding by the main man and directed to my seat. The plane was quite full again and there was much baggage rearrangement going on during the boarding process. Eventually everyone was boarded and the doors were closed at 12:05.

We pushed back at 12:10, taxied out to the runway and were tearing down the tarmac at 12:18. The captain announced a flight time of 1 hour and 55 minutes.

After the ding the crew member set out offering a drinks round. I had contemplated another Alaskan Amber as I was in Seat 2A’s seat and that seems to be his brew of choice. Instead I went for a Bloody Mary. After the drinks were dealt with the crew member handed out the snack for this flight which was ‘humus with pita bread and rabbit food’.

Whilst drinking my BM I noticed the nutrition information on the can of MR & MRS T Bloody Mary mix. I was consuming 41% of daily salt allowance in one 163ml can of juice!

Part way through the flight a moment of delusion seemed to hit a couple of the passengers. Seat 1D and 3C decided to have a loud conversation about a report 1D was reading. It seems they thought they were in a meeting room somewhere and not in the First class cabin of an aircraft. No go ahead we don’t mind you inconsiderate bar stewards.

On approach into SFO we flew right over the Golden Gate bridge with the city was off to our left. It was a spectacular sight. The mist was coming in through the bay obscuring the bridge but the city was bathed in glorious sunshine.

We touched down at 14:14 and taxied up to the gate. I headed out airside and made my way over to the international terminal. Stupid here had not printed my BP so I couldn’t go through security and the screens said that the check-in desks wouldn’t open for another 1 hour and 45 minutes. Poop.

I then remembered I noticed a CO lounge landside as I walked through the domestic terminal. I doubled back and used my Priority Pass to gain entry. I think the agent was a little surprised to have someone buzzing on her door bell. The lounge was completely empty apart from me and the staff.
Inside was the usual CO fayre with a bar service of free basic drinks or paid for premium drinks.

I spent an hour or so reading my book and had a coffee and some biccies.
I eventually decided I had had enough and made my way back over to the international terminal.

By the time I got there the desks were open and I walked up to the First counter. It was unmanned and a queue guardian asked if I was in First. I said yes and she left me standing there and walked off. Eventually someone moved over to the First desk to serve me. She printed my BP for this flight and the next and gave me instructions on how to get to the lounge.

I made my way down to security. The lines were very short and I was pushing my items through the x-ray machine within a few minutes. After some of my items went through someone split my trays and dumped theirs in front. I looked up to see an airline employee who was obviously in a rush.

I walked on through the scanner and proceeded to collect my stuff. Mr ‘I am in a hurry’ was standing right where you need to collect your stuff chatting to one of the TSA girls. Terrific, not only do you rudely push in, you now stand there blocking my access to my stuff. You Expletive.

After putting my self back together after the security checks I made my way down to the UA First Lounge which was next to my gate.

Inside I was warmly welcomed by the nice agent and informed that she would make an announcement when the flight was ready to board. I made my down one level and into the lounge. It is quite large with seating up one end and at the far end the food and bevvie counters. There was a quite substantial selection of wines, beers and sprits along with the usual non-alcoholic drinks.
UA had a flight to NRT going out this evening so the food included some sushi and other Asian treats and Sake. There was also some sandwiches, salads, dips, crudités etc. I opted for a glass of Anchor Steam Beer, a local SFO brew, and some of the lovely corn and green chilli soup.

The lounge was reasonably empty at this point with the only inhabitants being those stranded by a very overdue Shanghai flight. People started to stream in to the lounge eventually as more of the UA flights were due to depart. The usual suspects were in this lounge. The guy watching the TV with his feet up on the coffee table, with shoes on, the guy talking too loudly into his mobile phone, the young couple on their first F adventure and normal people like me!!

A boarding call was eventually made for my flight and I made my up and out of the lounge and down to the gate. There was already a queue for the premium line and boarding had not started as yet.

Soon enough a boarding call was made for First, Business and Elites. It is funny how when you are the Elite in this mix you like this, but when you are in First you think ‘hey let me on first I am in First’.

Boarding was swift and in no time I was heading down the ramp for my second ever F flight on LX.

Flight LX0039 SFO-ZRH Seat 1K
Aircraft: A340
Departure time: 19:25

Once on board I was welcomed at the door by the Maitre de Cabine and directed to me seat. One of the crew came up and asked me if I would care for a glass of champagne. I said indeed. She went to the little bar set up at the front of the cabin and proceeded to pour me a glass of the delicious drop. Soon after a plate of amuse bouche containing parma ham, caper, cream cheese on bread and salsa.

At my seat there were slippers and an amenity kit that contained la prairie products.
I was then offered sleep wear for the flight. I settled back enjoying my bubbles and waiting for the doors to close. A hot towel was past out prior to push back.

My glass was re-filled a couple of more times whilst we were still on the ground by the very efficient crew.

We eventually closed up and pushed back at 19:25. The captain announced a flight time of 10 hours and 35 minutes. We taxied out and took off at 19:41 and flew back over the city.
This time San Francisco took on a new coat as the late afternoon sun lit up the sides of the buildings. We also flew over a wind farm with all the blades shining in the afternoon glow. I repeat my earlier comment about those poor souls that never look out the windows of their aircraft.

After the belt sign was switched off the crew came around with the menu for this evening’s flight.

DINNER

North America – Zurich

Gourmet Menu

First Course

Smoked salmon fillet
Seafood, meat and vegetarian platter

Main Courses
Pan-fried beef fillet with Café de Paris butter
Mashed potatoes, carrots and asparagus

Roast spring chicken with pink peppercorns
Couscous and sautéed spinach with pine nuts

Seared halibut and sautéed shrimp with saffron sauce
New potatoes and mixed vegetables

Vegetable ravioli in truffle pesto, pomodoro sauce
Broccolini, roasted yellow tomatoes and Parmesan cheese

Choice of vegetables

Cheese
Selection of Swiss artisan cheese
Gruyere AOC – Selection Rolf Beeler
Vacherin Fribourgeois – Selection Rolf Beeler
OCSC Hudson Valley Camembert
Rocky Sage

Dessert
Triple chocolate mousse cake
Marinated strawberries

Sprungli chocolates and pralines

Espresso and a selection of coffees and teas

SUPPLEMENTARY CHOICES
Soup, seasonal salads, cheese and fresh fruits

WINE LIST
Sparkling Wine / Champagne

Laurent- Perrier Grand Siecle
Laurent-Perrier Champagne, France
50% Chardonnay, 50% Pinot Noir
Perrier’s prestige cuvee never specifies a vintage since it is blended from various top years. The current bottling is very, very elegant – a classic. Rather dry in the bouquet, with a wealth of aromas, hinting at pink grapefruit and coriander. A feast for the senses.

White Wine
Sissacher Sauvignon Blanc 2008
Siebe Dupf
Basel, Switzerland
100% Sauvignon Blanc
This charming, delicate white wine is perfect for sipping as an aperitif or while ctaching up on the newspapers. The winery was founded in 1874 and is one of the best known producers in Baselland today.

Chablis 1er Cru Les Vaillons Vielles Vignes 2008
Domaine Vocoret & Fils
Burgundy, France
100% Chardonnay
Chablis at its finest: fresh, dry, elegant and classic, with enticing notes of pineapple, quince jelly and peach on the palate. This white Burgundy is equally suited to starters, the fish course or white meat. An ideal choice for those who appreciated classic European wines.

Chenin Blanc Vineyard Selection 2009
Kleine Zalze
Stellenbosch, South Africa
100% Chenin Blanc
This wonderfully aromatic and mellow Chenin Blanc reveals notes of tropical fruit and honey. It has great volume in the mouth and tangy, juicy fullness. Goes will with vegetarian dishes, poultry and white meat. Ideal for occasions when the white can be a touch extravagant.

Red Wine
Baselbieter Primus “B” Deux Noirs 2006

Buess
Basel, Switzerland
60% Pinot Noir, 40% Dioly Noir
A medium-heavy red wine from the Basel region. It offers hints of strawberry jam, coffee and prune. Labour-intensive cultivation, low yields and meticulous vinification underpin the quality of this blend. It can be enjoyed as an aperitif, or with starters, fish and meat. Ideal when a red wine is called for that is neither too heavy nor too rich in tannins.

Chateau La Tour Haut-Brion Cur Classe de Graves 1999
Domaine Clarence Dillon Wines
Graves Pessac-Leognan, Bordeaux, France
Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc
This Bordeaux from the Chateau Haut-Brion portfolio is now wonderfully mature and ready for drinking. There are notes of cedar wood, rhubarb and strawberry compote on the palate. It is elegant, graceful and very complex, with touches of raisin and gingerbread embellishing the finish. Bordeaux at its finest. Perfect with poultry, pasta, meat dishes, or to sip while enjoying a gripping historical novel or classical music.

Z de Toren Stellenbosch 2007
De Toren Private Cellar
47% Merlot, 29% Cabernet Franc, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Malbec, 6% Petit Verdot
A deeply dark and complex red that is one of the top wines from South Africa. It has the charm of a mature Pomerol and the elegance of a well-kept Margaux. Aromatic flavours of cherry, blackcurrant and dark chocolate. De Toren is a young winery, which bottled its first vintage in 1999. A charismatic wine that is well-suited to meat dishes and powerful sauces. Also makes an ideal nightcap.

Dessert Wine
Rieslaner BA 2007

Muller-Catoir
Pfalz, Germany
100% Rieslaner
The estate has been family-owned since 1744. Although Riesling is the main varietal grown, the wines vinified from its Riesling-Sylvaner have also impressed international experts. This dessert wine is like nectar, revealing a sweet concentration reminiscent of acacia honey and apricots. Ideal for drinking with light cheeses or as a digestif.

Port
Grahams Tawny Port 10 years
Symington Family Estates
Duoro, Portugal
Touringa Nacional, Touringa Francesca, Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cao
Gorgeous fragrances of sweet raisins and precious tobacco. It is very mellow, elegant and powerful on the palate. From the very first sip, there are seductive notes of date, fig compote, cinnamon and dark chocolate. A traditional port that is a perfect companion for the cheese course or a good book.

BEVERAGES
Beers
Appenzeller Quollfrisch
Heineken
Cardinal Sans Alcool

Aperitifs
Sherry La Guita
Campari
Bacardi White Rum
Bombay Sapphire Gin
Grey Goose Vodka

Liqueurs & Digestivs
Single Malt Whisky The Macallan Fine Oak 18 years
Blended Scotch Whisky Chivas Regal 18 years
Cognac Remy Martin XO Excellence A.O.C. Grande Champagne
Grappa di Moscato Monovitigno Nonino
Zuger Krisch 1995 Etter
Willams Etter

Soft Drinks
Still Water
Sparkling Water
Tonic Water
Coke
Diet Coke
Sprite

Juices
Orange juice
Apple juice
Pink grapefruit juice
Tomato juice
Spicy tomato juice

Tea Selection
Darjeeling Superieur
Earl Grey Superieur
English Breakfast
Rooibosh Bourbon
Gunpowder “Temple of Heaven”
Medina
Citronnelle
Coffee
Nespresso Selection

Capriccio
Vivalto
Arpeggio
Decaffeinato

My huge table was extracted from the side of the seat and a table placed on top. The table was then set with a charger plate, bread and butter plate, butter and a dish with olive oil, salt and pepper grinders and finally the cutlery wrapped in the serviette with a red ribbon tied around it. A small basket for bread was placed on the table and I was able to select an assortment to be added to it.

The crew then rolled out the trolley with the starters presented on a platter on the top. On offer was lobster, scallop, quail, smoked salmon and roasted vegetables.

I elected to try the quail, salmon and lobster for my starters. The quail was a little odd as I could not detect any favour apart from the heavy seasoning on it. All I could taste was cumin. The lobster and salmon were lovely. The bubbles kept on coming during this course.

I was next asked if I wanted a salad and I agreed to be topped with a creamy dressing or balsamic dressing. I opted for the later as usual. Nothing much to say about this course except it was a salad consisting of only leaves.

I was not offered any of the soup, which was asparagus.

My main came out next and I switched to the Bordeaux for this part of the meal. The beef was superbly cooked, still bloody and juicy inside and the red wine was to die for. I was offered further vegetables from a platter the crew came around with.

After the main it was time to try the cheese. The crew came around with the trolley with all the selections on show. I opted for some of the camembert and the rocky sage. Both were delightful when slathered on the extra bread I was offered. I kept with the red through this course and supped on my glass well after the cheese was devoured.

The crew member came out with the dessert on a plate to tempt me, which he did. I asked for some of the dessert wine. The chocolate mousse cake was light enough to enjoy after such a hefty meal and the wine unctuous and sweet. My mouth is watering thinking about.

I finished off the wonderful meal with an espresso and a sprungli chocolate.

After all the food and alcohol it was time to think about sleep. After a loo break I asked the crew member to make up my bed for me. There was only one seat free on this evening’s flight and most everyone else had already headed off to the land of nod.
The only other night owl was the lovely older lady who was seating in 1E across the aisle from me. She was travelling with a young woman in shades of Travels with my Aunt scenario. They were off to Zurich to a concert, then down to Venice and somewhere else before returning to the city by the bay. This lady had rings on many fingers and the rock of Gibraltar sat perched upon her wedding ring finger.

A bottle of water was placed by my seat after the bed was made and I snuggled down to get some kip. I slept on and off for a few hours.

I eventually sat up and started to watch something on the IFE. About 20 minutes after I roused the breakfast service started. The lights were turned on in the cabin and people started to rouse.

My table was set again and I was offered breakfast breads. Next up the trolley came around with the cereal selection. I went with a bircher muesli.

I asked for tea with lemon and it came out in a pot with Lipton’s tag hanging out the side. Lipton’s in First!! I was also offered some juice and I went
with the pink grapefruit.

After the cereal bowl was removed I was offered some cold cuts and cheese which I accepted. This was followed by the egg dish which today was chive omelette, sausage and bacon. After the spectacular evening meals offered on Swiss the breakfasts are lacking in sparkle and are quite pedestrian.

After the meal I asked for a double espresso.

When the table was cleared I grabbed my clothes and headed to the lav to get changed back into my civvies. As I exited I noticed that a hot towel round had been done and was just being cleared.
This is where you notice the difference between a carrier such as CX and less service oriented carriers. The exact same situation happened to me on a CX F flight last year. The F purser noticed me as I exited the loo and came over with a hot towel for me as she knew I had missed out. No such observation was made today on Swiss. It is the little things.

We landed at 15:11 and made a short taxi to our gate in the infield terminal. I thanked the crew on departing and said goodbye to my elderly friend who was waiting for a wheel chair.
I caught the crazy train over to the main terminal complete with mooing cows, alpine horns, yodelling and cow bells. After clearing immigrations I made my way to the Swiss First lounge.
I approached the desk and asked if I was able to use this lounge as an inbound F passenger connecting to a J flight. No problem Sir. She typed away and said my connecting flight was at an open gate and I would be driven there. Please come back to the front desk at 16:20.

Inside the lounge there is a restaurant area where meals are prepared on request as well as a buffet. There was also a quiet area, a lounge area with bar and snacks for self service. An area with computers was in between the two.

I grabbed a glass of bubbly which was a choice of pink or white Perrier Joulet.
The lounge was pretty quiet with only a few people scattered around the lounge. It was quite a nice place to sit and wait for my next flight.

At the appointed time I went back to the desk and waited. A man eventually appeared and I told him my name. He said yes please follow me. We went downstairs and he directed me through the crew lane at security and then went down another flight of stairs to ground level. He then let me out onto the apron and led me over to a hybrid Mercedez Benz. I was invited to hop in the back seat and he drove me out to my plane in the middle of the apron.

We pulled up at the aircraft and he asked me to wait a moment. He signalled the crew who eventually signalled back that all was OK for me to board. Oh what a way to treat your premium customers. Arriving at the plane in a limo and being the first to board with no queues, no rush to stow bags.

Flight LX0782 ZRH-BRU Seat 2A
Aircraft: CRJ
Departure time: 16:45

I was welcomed on board by the Maitre de Cabin and given a bottle of water and a moist towel sachet. She also offered me a newspaper.
A bus soon pulled up and the people piled onto the plane. A late runners mini van showed up later with the last minute passengers. When the doors closed there were 5 people in the business cabin for this short flight to Brussels.

We pushed back at 16:48 for the 1 hour flight and taxied down to the end of the runway. We took off at 16:52 and flew out past the lake on our way.
The Maitre de Cabine started the service with a drinks run during which she sent a Y interloper packing down the back who was attempting to go forward to use the lav.

I selected a white wine to drink which was served from full size bottles. The meal was all served on the tray and included cured meat, cucumber with dill, cooked salmon, salami and a stuffed pepper. A roll was offered which I devoured with the soft and hard cheese that was on the tray. A little pot of ginger jelly and cream was also on the tray. It was all quite tasty and filling for such a short flight at a non-meal time. I was offered water as well as plenty of top ups of wine.

After the meal was done the MdC came out with little Movenpick Ice Cream tubs. Mmmm Crème Brule ice cream.

Finally the not so usual signature Swiss chocolate was given out. As the world cup is around the corner it was a soccer ball shaped chocolate.

We touched down at 17:04 and taxied to an infield terminal again. I caught the little shuttle train over the main area and then made my way down to the train station. They have automated ticket machines but they only accept Belgian debit cards which is practically useless. The queues for the two manned ticket windows were quite long but moved relatively quickly. However as I waited a train pulled out which meant waiting another 15 minutes for the next train.

A 30minute train ride later I was at Brussels Midi station. A short cab ride later I was checking into the Sheraton 4 Points for a one night stay.
Nothing much to write about at this hotel. Very basic but had a bed which was all I was concerned about at this stage in the day.

The next morning was an early check-out and taxi back to the station and the first Eurostar train to St Pancras where I caught the tube to work and was at my desk just after 08:00.

Here endeth your journey into the mind of an addict.

Happy travels.

The Photos

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 14, 2011 at 8:24 pm
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:23 am

Good read, thanks for sharing ^
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You do get about don't you but why do you keep avoiding South America?

I don't think I could go to Seattle without a visit to the surrounding countryside....it's a lovely part of the world. Your photography skills seem to be getting better......that monument valley one is a cracker. ^

Great report as ever Moomba and much appreciated.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view
Good read, thanks for sharing ^
Thanks view. I am glad you like it.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Your photography skills seem to be getting better......that monument valley one is a cracker. ^

Great report as ever Moomba and much appreciated.
Thanks HIDDY

I have to confess I cheat on the photographs. I use photoshop to 'auto correct' the shots taken from planes as it usually is quite effective at removing the haze from the photos. The shots of monument and the canyons did end up a little more vivid than I was expecting. I wasn't sure how to 'tone them down' a little.

Last edited by Moomba; Jun 15, 2010 at 1:27 am
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Great Report Moomba ! Outstanding photos!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.