Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Short Hop on NZ Across the Ditch (AKL - BNE)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2010, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)

Hi Everyone, I'm a long time lurker but have never really got round to posting a trip report but I thought I should come out of my cave this time and post one. Unfortunately there are no photos with this report because my camera died on me as soon as I tried to take photos. It needs some charging

NZ 135
AKL - BNE
Class: Y initially, but standby upgrade to C cleared
Seat: 2A
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200ER (2nd flight on an NZ 772/4th NZ flight this year)
Load: C Class ~9/28
ETD: 1030am (ATD: 1045)
ETA: 1200 (ATA: 1220)

So I'm typing this in Brisbane because I've come over here for 4 weeks to do a med school elective in the hospital over here. Initially I was booked in Y but then decided to spend some airpoints dollars on a standby upgrade to make the trip a bit more memorable and fun. Also I've never flown C on NZ before so I wanted to sample it.

I got to Auckland airport at about 830am for this flight and was welcomed by a check in line about the length of the great wall of China. It seemed that quite a lot of flights were departing at this time (niue, norfolk island and a few others). Since I don't really like lining up for over an hour unless I have to, I went to the customer service desk and queried whether or not my standby upgrade had cleared. There I was welcomed with the news that I was now in Business Class on the 772 and I was welcome to use the premium check in.

So I scuttled off to the premium area and found there was no queue. Check in was fast and the agent was very pleasant and wished me on my merry way. I zipped upstairs to customs and security and made my way to the NZ lounge (I was last in the NZ lounge in 1998 with my dad). The lounge was nice and spacious with ample seating room. The food selection was nice in the morning (I like scrambeld eggs on toast!). There was also baked beans, bircher museli, greek yoghurt some danishes, toast, and a variety of drinks including a barista there to make espresso coffee. I got some paperwork for the hospital done whilst in the lounge then scuttled to the gate when boarding was announced.

Boarding was fast and easy and for once in my life I turned left when I entered the plane. What a wonderful feeling! Pity it will take me another 3-4 years before I can save up enough airpoints to do that again!

The crew were wonderful and full of energy. Started the trip with some champange (which probably was a bad idea given that I was as red as a tomato after it). Pushback was fast and I enjoyed the gate to gate entertainment. The take off was fast with the grumbling of those 772 engines but it was a bit bumpy on the climb up with turbulence. Flight time across the Tasman today was a slightly longer 3hr 45min due to headwinds but I couldn't care less since I wanted more time in my fancy seat! (headwinds were about ~250km/h at one point).

The seat itself is magnificant. I could even sit with my legs crossed and not touching the ground (think how primary school kids sit). The table is enormous and there is space everywhere to put things. The bed contraption is fancy and the fluffy pillow and duvet were a nice addition even though I didn't use them (I just took at look at what was available behind me). I've been in CX herringbone J before and I would have to say that NZ trumps CX in all regards except the screen size. The seat width, seat space, seat amenities and walls are all better than the CX counterpart.

Lunch was served on this sector and the menu is as follows

Starter
Kawakawa cured salmon with sitrus jelly and chive potato salad - this was a real yummy starter and the same one I had when I flew Y+ to Canada last summer

Main Course
Cabernet braised beef with sage and kumara gnocchi, savoy cabbage, onions and bacon

Pan Fried New Zealand Snapper with olive, fennel and tomato compote, wilted spinach and linguine pasta - I choose this one and it was DIVINE. I always avoid fish on flights but this was the most succulent snapper I've ever had. It was cooked real well and the fish oil texture was great

Mexican Spiced Chicken with tomato sweet corn salsa, mixed bean and feta salad and coriander dressing.

Dessert
Gourmet dessert of black Doris Plum and creme fraiche ice cream and cookies and cream ice cream with chocolate almond wafer

Cheese Plate - didn't try

After eating a truckload of food I set my chair back to the lazy recline mode and watched a bunch of TV shows and before I knew it I was in Brisbane. I was quickly off the plane and through smartgate in about 90 seconds. Then I waited about 10 minutes for luggage and was out the terminal. Very efficient service from Air NZ!

Without a doubt this is one of the nicest products in the air! They premium economy product is also just as good (on the 744) and I would no hesitate to fly air NZ over other airlines in the south pacific region. On another note, after my return trip to NZ at the end of June I'll hit NZ*S so maybe I'll get another business trip in the future with an upgrade voucher!
Old May 29, 2010, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Excellent report. Keep them coming!

I'm getting hungry just thinking about "Pan Fried New Zealand Snapper."
Old May 30, 2010, 4:28 am

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
Very good for a first trip report! Make sure you update your return leg ok.

And yeah that line up at AKL in the morning is a ...... Once, and only once I managed to bypass it with an upgrade just as you did. Was great to leave the busy check in mess behind.
Old May 30, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Thanks for the TR, and I hope you have a good elective in Brisbane...

But watch out for those upgrades - they give them out knowing that the bug will bite, and you'll want to keep on turning left in future! And then it's a slippery slope, as the sorry tales from the lost souls in the Trip Report section attest....
Old May 30, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Nice report NZJuniorDoc.

NZ J is an excellent product. I only hope I can secure a ride with NZ again in the near future.
Old May 30, 2010, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by NZJuniorDoc
I was quickly off the plane and through smartgate in about 90 seconds.

Ahhh Smartgate - a great thing indeed (until everyone has a passport with a chip).
Old May 31, 2010, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
Originally Posted by mattm199
Thanks for the TR, and I hope you have a good elective in Brisbane...

But watch out for those upgrades - they give them out knowing that the bug will bite, and you'll want to keep on turning left in future! And then it's a slippery slope, as the sorry tales from the lost souls in the Trip Report section attest....
I know it's a horrible slippery slope. Luckily I have my bank account anchoring me from falling down this slope. It's a steep fall definitely!

I'll do the return trip in Y in about 4 weeks so it should good. The NZ Y product is pretty nice anyways. The food is a awkward since every flight I end up with the deep fried crumbed fish >.>;
Old May 31, 2010, 4:07 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Excellent trip report NZJuniorDoc, and very well written for a first trip report! Keep them coming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.