Air Caraïbes from Paris to Martinique

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Air Caraïbes from Paris to Martinique

Air Caraïbes
Airbus A 330-300 F-OONE
Paris to Fort-de-France (Martinique)

For my first trip report, I thought it would be interesting for all the readers to have an example of a route that has not been covered yet, and including a new airline.

Let me first introduce the airline:
Air Caraïbes is a French airline that operates flights within the Caribbean from Guadeloupe, Guyane, Martinique and Saint-Martin which are French overseas departments using 3ATR 72-500 and 1 Embraer 190.
In December 2004, the airline started 2 daily flights from Pointe-à-Pitre (Guadeloupe) and Fort-de-France (Martinique) to Paris with 2 Airbus A 330-200 (F-OFDF and F-OPTP)… since then it has expended its fleets with 3 new A 330-300 (F-ORLY; F-OONE and F-GOTO) and network opening direct flights from Cayenne to Paris in December 2008 and from Saint-Martin and Port-au-Prince to Paris in December 2009.

My report will cover a trip I did in April with my mother to Martinique. I did it in business class called “Madras”. I hope you will enjoy it and I must first apologize if my English is not always good, but I think it will be understandable.

PHOTO LINK: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50207916@N04/page2/

We arrived at Orly airport at 9:45 a.m. with a departure time at 11:45 a.m. We went to the Air Caraïbes Madras check-in area, were then helped by a middle-aged agent. While not very talkative she did her job quickly, tagged our luggages with the priority sticks and handed out our invitation for the Icare lounge.

We proceeded up the escalator and towards passport control and then to the security line, which wasn’t crowded.
Once through we went straight to the Lounge

The Icare lounge is quite small and as it is shared it was a bit crowded. The lounge itself wasn’t bad but the chairs looked a little dated. It had a nice beverage selection including bottles of red and white wine, aperitifs, spirits, sodas and juices… snacks were ok, and as it was morning croissants and pains au chocolat were offered with a good selection of preserves. One hour before departure, an announcement was made for our flight. We collected our stuff and went to the gate which was at a 5 min walk.

Once there we found all the other passengers waiting for our flight. It seemed that our flight would be full… how lucky we were travelling in Madras class today!!

At 11 a.m. boarding was called. Priority was given to Madras passengers and we were among the first people on board our Airbus 330-300.
Boarding was through door 2L where we were directed to the front of the plane by two young Caribbean flight attendants. We then found our seats 1A et 1B.

As the cabin was empty I snapped a few pictures. I found it to be very bright. The little Caribbean touch on the class divider and the headsets is very classy and made us feel we weren’t under the grey skies of Paris anymore…

Once we were settled in, another f/a came around offering us beverages. My mother and I went with the planteur (a Caribbean cocktail based on rum, tropical fruit juice and spices) which was delicious. But you could have ordered anything you wanted. Shortly thereafter noise cancelling headphones were distributed.

While on the ground, and having about a 40 mn wait before departure, I tried to play with the seat a little bit.
The seat is a traditional one and features a leg and foot rest. It had a good recline of 145°, ample storage space, massive centre armrest, and easy to use controls (although manual)… I also found the leather to be non-sticky and easy to find a comfortable position whether in upright or sleeping position. Each seat also included a pillow and a large blanket. Overall a good product to seat in for a 8 hours flight.

At noon door was closed and we were soon taxiing to the runway.
Our route today was north of Brittany and heading southwest north of the Azores and then straight to Martinique. And a flight time today of 9h20mn for a total distance of 6850 km! A long flight today, due to strong headwinds… I told myself never mind as I love flying, but I am sure not all the passengers felt the same lol

We had a very soft takeoff and a smooth climb.
15 minutes into the flight the seatbelt sign was turned off. Hot towels and menus were then handed out.
The menu reads as followed:

Hot appetizer with your preferred drink

LUNCH

Salmon Tartare and mango salsa
Veal knuckle with pesto sauce
Semolina with raisins

Or

Grilled sea bream in tropical sauce
Macaroni au gratin and garden vegetables
Mixed greens salad with pecan nuts
Olive oil with balsamic vinegar
Trio of fine cheeses
Raspberry tartlet

BEVERAGE LIST

Champagne
Gin, Martini, Planteur, Ricard,
White “Clément” rum, Whisky Chivas.

Cognac, Cointreau, old “Clément” rum.

Pepsi, Pepsi max, tonic water,
exotic fruit juices (including guava, acerola…),
orange juice, tomato juice.
Plain and sparkling mineral water
Nespresso coffee

White wine
Bordeaux “Baron de Luze” 2008

Red wine
Bordeaux cru bourgeois "Château Poitevin" 2005

Our hostess came around taking meal orders. She started at the other side of the cabin and I feared I would not have my choice available as the cabin was full… Fortunately that wasn’t the case and I opted for the sea bream while my mother ordered the veal.
Everything from the appetizer to the dessert was very good and well presented. You could also have hot red chilli pepper to add in your food… truly the Caribbean way of eating. Drinks were constantly being refilled and the service was really attentive.
Also a special mention for the bread which was hot… At last a French airline serves hot bread!!
I must also say that the f/a did a good job in presenting the cart with tropical flowers and with madras napkins. Although these are small details, it really makes the difference between an airline and another… Air France take example on Air Caraïbes, I think it is the least you could do on these routes!

After having eating as much as I could do, I decided to recline my seat and have some rest. I had a 2 hours nap and upon awaking I saw that bottles of mineral water had been placed in the seat pocket in front… a good point as I was really dehydrated. A bar was also set up in the front galley, including Champagne.

That was then time for me to test the in-flight entertainment.
Here is the weak point with Air Caraïbes: you only have 9 films to choose from (good ones such as Avatar, Sherlock Holmes or In the air…) a few cartoons, video games and that’s all… no documentaries, no tv series… Even if the video is on demand it needs to be upgraded a little bit.
Audio is also on demand with a choice of a few CDs and music channels.

Soon enough, the flight was about to end. One hour and a half before landing a snack was offered.
First were handed hot towels and then our food tray.
Here is the menu:

COLD SNACK

Trio of canapés
Fresh fruits
Passion fruit and chocolate bavarois

Once again everything was good and the presentation very nice.

About 30 minutes before landing we began our descent to Fort-de-France.
We arrived one hour late due to our flight time which was a bit long.
We were among the first to leave the aircraft once again by door 2L and had our luggages first on the seatbelt.

We had a very very enjoyable flight and I highly recommend Air Caraïbes: good crew, great service and good value for money. So don't hesitate if you plan to go to the French west Indies.

Thanks a lot of reading.
Old May 15, 2010, 5:20 pm

Thanks for the report. Just the name "Air Caraibes" is relaxing. And I agree the cabin looks like a nice place to be.
Old May 16, 2010, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Excellent - nice to see a TR from a "rare" airline!
Old May 16, 2010, 6:34 am

Welcome to flyertalk and thanks for the report!
Old May 16, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: Many
Nice report !

Welcome to FT tonyn33 !
Old May 16, 2010, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all your messages
I am glad you 've enjoyed my 1st TP, my pleasure doing it.

Old May 17, 2010, 2:53 am
Original Poster

I've just added some pictures of my returne trip to Paris
here is the photo link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyn33...535436/detail/
Old May 17, 2010, 10:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for the report, especially as it covered a new airline! I'm also amused by the registrations on the Air Caribes aicraft, I didn't know airlines could request clever ones that suited them such as F-ORLY.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Very interesting report.

Thanks. ^
Old May 23, 2010, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Originally Posted by CMK10
Thanks for the report, especially as it covered a new airline! I'm also amused by the registrations on the Air Caribes aicraft, I didn't know airlines could request clever ones that suited them such as F-ORLY.
I think it happens a lot in some countries - I know Aer Lingus' A330's (some now left the fleet) had registrations such as EI-DUB, EI-JFK, EI-ORD, EI-EWR etc - destinations to which the flew
Old May 24, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by tonyn33
I hope you will enjoy it and I must first apologize if my English is not always good, but I think it will be understandable.
Your trip report was great, and your command of the English language is better than many native speakers.
Old May 25, 2010, 4:58 am
Original Poster

thanks again to everybody...
I have added a few pictures of my return flight... but no comments. Sorry for this inconvenient but I think that it would have been too repetitive if I had sent another entire TP.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by AGSF
Your trip report was great, and your command of the English language is better than many native speakers.
Here, here! Trust me, your English is excellent and I look forward to reading more of your trip reports in the future.

happy landings.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I always look forward to reading reports on exotic airlines, so thank you for this nice report. ^^
Old Dec 25, 2016, 3:58 am

Hi, just adding to this great report a bit as I just flew to Martinique myself on this nice small airline in the same class.

They vastly improved the Madras seats, the food is now beautifully presented and as delicious as the OP mentioned. The Icare lounge in Paris Orly South also got a bit of a refit. Overall I had a very good flight with friendly efficient staff.
The business class seats are similar to those Air France still offer on their 380s. The colors onboard are beautiful, the tropical flowers in the lavs and on trolleys look amazing. The IFE still lacks somewhat with just a few blockbusters and intermittent slow-downs. The price was very competitive.
I will try and upload a picture or two later on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.