Search

TG 606 BKK-HKG 1 May 2010 50th anniversary flight

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: TG Gold, Marriott Gold
TG 606 BKK-HKG 1 May 2010 50th anniversary flight

CHECK-IN AND BOARDING

1100: I arrived at row A to check-in for flight 606 to HKG. The entire row was dedicated to flight 606 and there were plenty of ground staff to welcome and process the lucky passengers on that flight. Many of the ground staff were wearing retro uniforms and posed for photos with passengers. Check-in was smooth and efficient and all passengers got a special 50th anniversary luggage tag (which was also a hotel identification tag to id which hotel you were staying at). All passengers also received a souvenir which was a travel bag which contained a TG history book inside.

1130: With plenty of counters and staff on hand, check-in was super fast. I snapped a few pictures of the check-in area during which time the "retro crew" for the flight arrived. After a few pics for the press, they proceeded into a special crew only area. I cleared immigration and security and headed to the Royal Silk Lounge on Concourse D.

1145: All passengers on TG 606 were invited to Royal Silk Lounge on Concourse D. The far right end of the lounge (by gate D3) was set up with a few rows of comfy couches, a podium, a background poster of HS-TGP, and extra snacks and drinks. I proceeded to the quieter areas of the lounge to eat a quick lunch and rest before heading back the event area at 1300.

1300: TG staff were giving quick speeches on the podium before inviting Khun Piyavasti Amranand (the CEO of TG) up to the stage. He thanked TG's employees for their dedication and outlined TG's humble beginnings on the first DC-6 flight to HKG 50 years ago. He certainly was the celeb of the day with so many flashes of the camera by the press. Afterwards, many passengers also wanted a picture with him.

Flight 606 was originally intended to depart from gate D1A. This was a bus gate where we had to board stairs to the aircraft. I was looking forward to get up close pics of the plane but unfortunately heavy downpours forced them to change to gate D6. Everyone was asked to head to the gate at 1330, but I decided to go early to take a look at the plane.

1320: I made the right decision to arrive early. The retro crew were posing for pictures at the gate area and I got the chance to get a few pics of myself with all the crew. There were a total of (14?) crew in retro uniform- 1 Captain, 1 or 2? First Officers, and the rest were male/ female pursers and regular FAs. (Forgive me if I miscounted.)

(A few friends of mine are FAs for TG and I asked them how TG selected who was going to be on the 50th anniversary flight. She said they only picked the most beautiful and handsome ones.)

1345: Other passengers arrived and at 1350 boarding commenced. There was nothing special about boarding- we boarded with first with First, Royal Silk, and Star Gold, followed by Economy.

There were two sets of crew on the flight. The "regular" crew in normal uniforms worked the flight as usual. This was complimented by the retro crew who were there to greet the pax and do a fashion show at the end of the flight.

Entering through 2L, I was welcomed on board by a female regular FA and a captain in retro uniform. I was seated at 31A, the bulkhead seat by the door, and my companion at 31B. In 31C was Khun Pruet Boobphakam, TG's Executive VP, Commercial Department. He talked about how TG spent many months preparing for the event as well as other aspects of TG's ops such as the BKK-LAX flight. A very humorous and down to earth guy.

INFLIGHT

1435: TG 606 left the gate a few minutes late. On today's flight, a special printed menu was handed out:

The cover was an old TG ad poster from the 60's.

BKK-HKG

First Course
Fried Snapper with Mustard Sauce and Garnitures

Main Course
Prawn Curry Chu-Chee or Braised Beef Hong Kong Style

Dessert
Half Dipped Chocolate Crispy Coconut Rolls in A "THAI 50th Anniversary" Tin Box

About a week prior, I received a call from TG asking which meal I wanted. I chose the prawn curry chu-chee.

The normal cabin crew serviced the flight and were in a rush to accomodate the full cabin. About 45 minutes prior to landing the PA was turned on with special hip hop fashion music and the retro crew walked the cabin to show off TG's uniforms from various eras. They started in F, walked the lower deck C, then went up to the upper deck C, and finished the entire length of the Y cabin.

Prior to landing a special souvenir was handed out to all passengers. This was a red Salvatore Ferragamo box which contained a luxurious travel kit in a supple soft black leather case. Each individual also received an old style TG ticket that had their names and flight details written down on paper the old fashioned way. A stamp kit with 4 stamps-each with TG aircraft colors from different eras -was also handed out to all pax.

RECEPTION AT REGAL AIRPORT HOTEL

The flight landed on time and after deplaning everyone proceeded to the Regal Airport Hotel for the reception. Baggage was claimed first then handed over to ROH staff before entering the hotel. The ballroom was still closed and under preparation and all guests were strolling around the reception area which had an ice sculpture of an aircraft and several HKG posters. Once the ballroom doors opened, the retro crew stood on both sides in lines welcoming all guests as they entered. The reception was cocktail party style with booths from several Hong Kong vendors serving local cuisine. The stage was set up with a huge THAI 50th anniversary logo with a brightly lit colored background. Khun Piyavasti welcomed all to the reception followed by Khun Pruet. This was followed by a video presentation of THAI's history and connection with the Thai people and other various on stage performances. I believed the video presentations can be view on TG's Facebook page. TG also welcomed an old man on to the stage who was pictured 45 years ago in a TG ad. The man, obviously much older now, was invited to the reception by TG and spoke of his connection and enduring passion for the airline.

The reception ended at around 2100 and all pax departed to their various hotels.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words and in the next few days I will edit my pics and post them on a photo sharing site. I'll give the web address here so check back!

Last edited by ualdenver; May 4, 2010 at 6:52 am
Old May 4, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Nice TR, looking forward to the pics ^
Old May 4, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Thanks ualdenver for the report. I loved the comment about" they picked the pretty ones". I was going to say, being so far away, it is difficult for me to pre plan and fit in, but then you are further. I envy a-lee and you, guess I will have to be satisfied with my trip to paris on their new 773, and I hope to catch the retro bird up to cnx soon, once again thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.