MAA-SIN on SQ 529 in F/A Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA

Check-in at MAA was fairly straightforward, given that this wasn’t peak season at MAA, but still very quiet for a Saturday night. I scanned my checked luggage and found a roving porter who was willing to assist for a small tip. Hand luggage in hand, I proceeded to the SQ First class desk. I was greeted by the ground manager who remarked that he hadn’t seen me in a long time and I explained that we were flying AI a lot to SIN because they had a day time flight, meaning no red eye. My family of 4 plies the MAA-SIN-MAA route collectively around 20 times a year. Originally it was all SQ, then 9W came with a day time flight so we switched to them, then 9W switched their day flight to a night flight, so we switched back to SQ, then SQ dropped their day flight and now we are stuck on AI.

This time I was connecting to HKG and had Sunday to recover so decided to suck it up and enjoy FCL on SQ. SQ keeps switching which lounge they use at MAA, and have agreements with multiple lounges. I was given a lounge card for the Royal Meridien Lounge (which isn’t anywhere nearly as royal as the name suggests) and I enquired with the check-in agent as to which lounge they use for First class. The manager overheard this and jumped into say I could use any of the 3 lounges I wanted to – since I had access to the Oberoi Lounge with my credit card and the AI lounge is pretty awful – I was fine with the Royal lounge card. I also inquired what time they’d be boarding since I wanted to get on as quickly as possible. I was informed that it would be around 22:40 and they would send someone to get me.

Immigration took less than five minutes and I was on my way to the lounge by 22:20 for this 23:15 departure. The Meridien lounge was as I as suspected a royal mess – just way to small to handle the traffic. I took one look inside, grabbed a quick diet coke and moved on to the Clipper Lounge which at least had some free seats. I decided to move to security by 22:40, which was quite painless, and hung around the gate. They announced pre-boarding and I was taken on board after the wheelchairs and wished a pleasant flight.

First class had a load of 4, and we were all nicely spaced through the cabin. I was in 2B, and later switched to the window 2A, since 1B was occupied and would recline into my space. One of the seats was occupied by a cockpit crew member (probably a cargo pilot returning home, as they usually bring in and take out cargo pilots on this flight). I was offered a pre-take off beverage, given a menu and checked the in-flight entertainment guide to confirm to my dismay that there was no AVOD on this flight and we’d have the tiny screens. The cabin crew spent most of the pre-boarding in the galley chatting amongst themselves rather than with their passengers. They also don’t serve any alcoholic beverages pre-take off because of customs duty regulations ex India. I ordered a sparkling water.

Pre take off sleep suits, amenity kits and slippers were distributed in kris shop bags. I was the last to receive mine and they had run out of sizes – only M available. This was the size I wanted so no problem, but I did find it a little odd that with such a light load that they ran out so quickly.

Menus were distributed in leather bound folders and post take off drink orders taken, prior to push back. I ordered a glass of the Krug Champagne and changed into PJ’S. Taxi was short and take-off smooth on this 777-300. A few moments after the seat belt sign went off and the crew sprung into action. Headsets were handed out and the movies on Krisworld commenced. I picked the shortest one I could find as I wanted to get some sleep on this flight.

My champagne was brought to me and again I requested for it to be chilled further. I also noticed that 2F was having Dom, so I asked if I could try a taste of both. The cabin crew decided to play along and made me do a taste test – which I passed within seconds – can recognize Krug a mile away – it is truly the nectar of the gods. Meal orders were taken and I requested to do a mix and match and opted for the Kebab platter as an appetizer (wanted to avoid deep fried foods), and the Shahi Thali as my main course. Dinner service began and was complete within an hour. I had some more champagne and reclined to finish the rest of my movie and sleep. I asked to be woken as close to arrival as possible with a cup of Blue Mountain coffee. This was done without a problem.

The crew warmed up a bit and were a little friendlier through the service, but again not a patch on the warmth of Cathay. It didn’t matter much since I wanted to sleep for more than half the flight, which I managed to in spite of the seat being extremely uncomfortable for a First class overnight flight. I regretted not making the effort of flying out of BOM with the new 77W, but such was the case.

Shortly before arrival I was awoken with a top up of water and a blue mountain which would keep me going till I reached my grandmothers house for a nap. The redeye on this sector is quite horrendous, with the time difference meaning a 6am arrival at SIN, when it still 3:30am at MAA, and even if one were to skip dinner and sleep all the way through it wouldn’t make much of a difference.

My bags were tagged through to HKG so customs and immigration was a breeze. I was in a cab and headed into town by 6:30, where I slept for a few hours, had a nice lunch with my family and headed back to the airport by 15:20 for my 17:50 dep on SQ 2 to HKG, with enough time to enjoy the Private room.

Next report
The TPR at SIN and SIN-HKG on SQ2
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Sq 529 maa-sin f menu

supper FROM CHENNAI TO SINGAPORE

sanjeev's choice

The most celebrated name in Indian cuisine today, Sanjeev Kapoor's masterful use of spices and herbs creates a whole new dimension of innovative flavours. He brings to you his recommendation for a most exquisite dining experience in the sky.

SHAHI THALI
"A tantalizing tase of India"

Warm Prawn fritter with shallot garlic chutney

Kozhi velai kozhambu, erachi ularthiyathu, arattipoo kanda gadda kobari, kadalai paruppu kulambu and elimachai chaadam
Chicken in cashew curry, spiced strifried lamb, banana flower with yam, tempered chana dal and lemon pilaf

or

Betroot poriyal croquette and upma galette with shallot garlic chutney

Pachakari ishtew, arattipoo gadda kobari, manglorean paneer sukka, kadalai paruppu kulambu and elimachai chaadam
Vegetable pepper stew, banana flower with yam, cottage cheese in mangalorean masala, tempered chana dal and lemon pilaf

Served with Indian Breads, papadum, pickles, salad, yogurhurt and lassi

Nei Payasam
Palm jaggery sweetened rice with almond sponge and enriched cream

supper FROM CHENNAI TO SINGAPORE

Create your gastronomic experience from our selection of tantalizing options

APPETIZERS

Warm kebabs from the tandoori oven
Marinated Chicken, lamb and prawn served with mint chutney and salad

SOUPS
Tomato soup with garlic croutons with sour cream

MAIN COURSES
Seafood noodle soup
Egg noodles with lobster, fish and vegetables in broth

Oven-baked Cajun blackened spiced chicken with roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes

FRUITS
Fresh fruits in season

FINALE

A selection of gourmet coffees & fine teas
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:46 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
another nice TR!
We have come to expect a lot from you now!!

BTW, I will soon be doing the daytime AI flight SIN-MAA-SIN. Will post a report in January.
How do you like those AI flights (I am in C for both legs)?

Thanks for posting the TR.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Exclamation

Originally Posted by snod08
another nice TR!
We have come to expect a lot from you now!!

BTW, I will soon be doing the daytime AI flight SIN-MAA-SIN. Will post a report in January.
How do you like those AI flights (I am in C for both legs)?

Thanks for posting the TR.

Just a warning on AI - Its a very mediocre product - domestic meal service - basically a glorified economy meal with more choice (usually 2 vegetarian and 2 non vegetarian options) - As of now Jan is showing as A321 which means you'll have some entertainment on board, but every now and then they do a last minute change to a A320, which is the ancient IC product, even worse. Service is polite and pleasant, but don't expect much - just wanted to give you a heads up before hand. If timing isn't the reason you are taking AI, I suggest 9W I class fare, which is around 100us$ more than AI. However, if you are looking to avoid the red eye from MAA-SIN its the only option - just don't expect much.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:13 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by avm2806
Just a warning on AI - Its a very mediocre product - domestic meal service - basically a glorified economy meal with more choice (usually 2 vegetarian and 2 non vegetarian options) - As of now Jan is showing as A321 which means you'll have some entertainment on board, but every now and then they do a last minute change to a A320, which is the ancient IC product, even worse. Service is polite and pleasant, but don't expect much - just wanted to give you a heads up before hand. If timing isn't the reason you are taking AI, I suggest 9W I class fare, which is around 100us$ more than AI. However, if you are looking to avoid the red eye from MAA-SIN its the only option - just don't expect much.
THanks for this. Yes, timing is the only reason I am flying AI.
Connecting in the morning at SIN (from SQ). Again, connecting in the early evening at SIN (to SQ),,

BUt SQ sectors are in economy!!
Flying EWR-NRT-SIN-MAA and back. Will get to do CO in J, SQ Y, AI J.

Unfortunately 9W and SQ dont have those daytime flights anymore to SIN.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Winelist summary

So the SQ F winelist is a little to exhaustive to post in its entirety - here are its salient features:

CHAMPAGNES
Dom Perignon 2000

Krug Grand Cuvee

WHITE WINES
Rudesheimer Riesling Spatlese 2006 Rheingau Balthasar Ress (an excellent wine)

Beaune Du Chateau Premier Cru 2006 Bouchard Pere Et Fils

RED WINES

Chateau Leoville-Poyferre 2001 Saint Julien (become a fav of many sq fliers)

Castello di Fonterutoli 2004 Chianti Classico

PORT
Dow's 20 Year Old Tawny Port, Portugal

SPIRITS
Macallan 12 years old Single Malt Whisky

Cognac XO - Hennessy

Johnnie Walker Blue Label

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey

Bombay Sapphire Gin

Absolut Vodka

Bacardi Superior

LIQUEURS
Cointreau

Baileys Original Irish Cream

BEER
Tiger

Kingfisher

GOURMET COFFEES
Brazil Santos Bourbon

Colombian Supremo

Jamacian Blue Mountain

Kenyan AA Killimanjaro

And the new TWG Tea menu goes on forever: I recommend the
Paris-Singapore Tea (A distinguished green tea blended with fragrant cherry blossoms and red fruits)

and then

Alfonso Fruit Tea
A magnificent alliance of black tea, rare mango and a secret combination of TWG Tea fruits and flowers.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 3:05 am

Nice report. Thanks for posting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.