Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Ghana international Airlines LGW-ACC (J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS,

Well, finally time to sample what GIA has to offer after about 2 dozen trips to Acca with BA. Given a free upgrade to business class which was very welcome although economy looked reasonable as well!

Check-in was easy, friendly agent and unlike most of the fellow travellers our baggage was under the weight limits.

GIA use the ServisAir lounge at LGW, this is fine, small, but great views with a good range of drinks/snacks on offer.

Boarding.......anyone who has ever flown to Africa knows that bagage excess is just to be expeced. So feeling like a total failure i boarded with my small breifcase (and it contained my duty free as well!). We were welcomed on board by very friendly crew who took coats and offered drinks. this was a full flight and we were eventually delayed by an hour due to baggage issues (remember the Africa bit!). A member of the airline staff did tell me that one person had arrived at the gate with no less than 17 bags of duty free!.

Seats in business were good, with great seat pitch although recline was a little limited. Really reminded me of the VS seats on the cancelled Al Italia order aircraft. ^

Menu's handed out and orders for lunch taken before take off as there was so much time. Good choice of 1 starter, 4 main courses and 3 desserts which actually turned into 2 desserts and a cheese course with port. The drinks were flowing freely, Blue Top Monopole Champage, a nice Merlot, good port and curvosier VSOP.

IFE was a little how can i say it, African, not to my taste and no perosnal TV's so it was out with the Ipod and a few episodes of Top Gear.

Second meal service was far better than I have ever had on such a short long haul flight (6.5 hours). We were served a great Chichen and vegtable pasty, hot scones with Jam and Clotted cream. (far better than the BA CW offering of strange sandwiches).

The meal services were nicely paced, no rush to get you fed and forgotten about for a few hours, crew were always around the cabin and eager to serve.

arrival into Accra was a little bumpy, unlike some i won't blame the airline for this, economy passengers were held back for Business to get off first, immigration was tedius as usual, bagage took a while and then out into the heat of an Accra evening to see my waiting driver ready to take me to my second home.

Return flight on Wednesday evening, this is the real test, i am not good at sleeping on flights so will i feel any worse or better if i don't have a flat bed as on BA in CW........

to be continued.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the report. Does GIA still serve Düsseldorf? If I remember correctly, the route would be LGW-DUS-ACC, but I'm not sure if this has changed.

Dennis
Old Nov 29, 2009, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

DUS is served about twice a week.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 4:42 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
17 bags!

Thanks for the TR so far. Great to hear about the delights of GIA.

As many may be aware, a popular FTer is upper mgmt @ GIA
Old Nov 29, 2009, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
17 bags!

Thanks for the TR so far. Great to hear about the delights of GIA.

As many may be aware, a popular FTer is upper mgmt @ GIA
i couldn't possibly comment on that, who do you think told me about the bags!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 29, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Love to hear about lesser known airlines, thanks for posting. Great TR so far.

Cheers Larry.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:01 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by stuart101
i couldn't possibly comment on that, who do you think told me about the bags!!!!!!!!
You actually bumped into him on the plane or on the ground? Did you recognize him?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:41 am

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles Silver Preferred, Hilton Honors Gold VIP
Thanks for the trip report. What type of aircraft were you on?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
You actually bumped into him on the plane or on the ground? Did you recognize him?
I know him well.

GIA are using a 752 at the moment
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:53 am

Seats in business were good, with great seat pitch although recline was a little limited. Really reminded me of the VS seats on the cancelled Al Italia order aircraft. ^

We were eventually delayed by an hour due to baggage issues
I must apologise for this, but I can assure you that this experience was more the exception than the rule. GIA's "Focus On The Fundamentals" program is designed to specifically compensate for issues such as excessive baggage in order to ensure no compromise in On-Time Performance.

The airline is on track to achieve the internal target of 85% on-time and 99.9% dispatch reliability for the year.

Menu's handed out and orders for lunch taken before take off as there was so much time. Good choice of 1 starter, 4 main courses and 3 desserts which actually turned into 2 desserts and a cheese course with port. The drinks were flowing freely, Blue Top Monopole Champage, a nice Merlot, good port and curvosier VSOP.
The menu served on your flight is reproduced below.

Code:
MENU
London to Accra

COCKTAILS
We are pleased to offer a wide range of alcoholic and 
non-alcoholic beverages from our on-board bar.

Served with assorted nuts and traditional plantain chips 
from Ghana.

TO BEGIN
Slices of grilled chicken breast with ceasar dressing and 
chilled seared peppers.

Assorted warm rolls

MAIN COURSE

Chicken Persian style
Grilled chicken napped with a tangy lemon yogurt sauce 
served with rice and broccoli

Pepper Lamb
Tender lamb loin in a peppercorn sauce served with potatoes
and sautéed vegetables

Spicy Prawns
Jumbo prawns in a rich and spicy tomato gravy served on a 
bed of aromatic white rice

Tortellini ricotta e spinaci
Ring shaped pasta stuffed with spinach and ricotta cheese in 
a tomato sauce

TO FINISH

Banoffee Mousse
Chocolate Orange Dome

Cheese plate with grapes

Tea			Coffee	        	
Port	              Liqueurs

We apologise in advance if your first selection is unavailable 
due to limitations of space on board the aircraft
ROTATION 2 – LGWACC – GG - 0109

GIA are using a 752 at the moment

Here's an actual picture of your flight waiting to push back at Gatwick!!! Sorry for the poor quality, I only had my phone camera on the ramp and it was freezing! If you look carefully you can perhaps see yourself through one of the windows?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

The airline can't be held responsable for a delay caused by the shopping habbits of its customers. This is not a problem limited to GIA, most of my BA flights to ACC have been delayed for the same reason. i am sure every flight into West Africa has the same problems.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:44 pm

The airline can't be held responsable for a delay caused by the shopping habbits of its customers. This is not a problem limited to GIA, most of my BA flights to ACC have been delayed for the same reason. i am sure every flight into West Africa has the same problems.
The airline absolutely should be held responsible for a delay due to customers failing to arrive at the gate on time. The delay may not be the fault of the airline, but it is reasonable to expect that if something is a relatively common occurance then some means of reducing the impact of the problem should be found.

It was unfortunate that on the day in question, there were three issues that prevented this from being executed properly. First, gate 25 where you departed from shares a holding area with 3 other gates so it is impossible to segregate passengers by flight and identify any missing passengers prior to them physically entering the jetway. Second, the location of the gate at the absolute end of Pier 2 means that it is a solid 15 minute walk from the departure lounge and results in most passengers arriving later than they expected to after visiting Duty Free. Third, UK Border Agency was conducting embarkation checks and this caused significant delays as 27 passengers were intercepted for secondary checks, slowing the boarding process tremendously.

GIA averages 92.27% OTP from Accra and 90.22% OTP from Dusseldorf, but only 77.88% OTP from London Gatwick. There is no reason that OTP in London should be inferior to the other stations where the passenger profile is not dissimilar.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
cool report - that menu looks great, B747-437B!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
just seen this - good report.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:40 pm
pb3

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Nice TR.

I flew Ghana International some 3 years back.

Economy class had decent legroom (I'm quite tall) and the food wasn't bad - I remember enjoying rather than enduring the flight

I would use them in perference to BA if flying economy.

Had the same issue with check-in and other passengers with heaps of luggage. A lady actually tried to persuade me to add one of her (many) suitcases into my baggage allowance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.