The Things We Do For Status... Part 2 -- 8 flights, 2 countries, 16470 miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Things We Do For Status... Part 2 -- 8 flights, 2 countries, 16470 miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
The Things We Do For Status.. Part 2 -- 73 hours, 8 flights, 2 countries, 16470 miles

This will be the follow-on to my original trip report from last year (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...819-miles.html) when I took advantage of AA's Double EQM promotion to extend my EXP status.

2009... Not the best year for someone who loves to travel...
I've been very fortunate over the years to have a good-paying job which allowed me to pursue my love of travel and flying. While the rise in airfares over the past few years made mileage running not as easy or fun as it once was, I was still able to make Executive Platinum on American each year since 2006.

As in 2008, I really didn't think I'd try again in 2009. It just wasn't becoming as cost effective to do the runs I'd need for top-tier status and with Lifetime Platinum (and over 1.1 million miles in my account) I had enough to fall back on.

Even with this expectations, 2009 turned ugly very quickly. Rumors of layoffs in my company had been simmering since the start of the year and in early February, I found out I'd be unemployed for the first time since I graduated college in 1993.

Thanks to the ability to cut back on expenses, a significant other with a stable (but smaller) income, savings in the bank and a decent severance package, I was able to survive the five months I was unemployed.

After being laid off in late February, I took only three trips until a celebratory weekend in Vegas just before I started the new job -- a weeklong trip to Germany in March which had already been paid for, a mileage run to MIA bought in early January and an award ticket to see some family up in Traverse City. The idea of taking advantage of the Spring Double EQM promotion was just a cruel taunt.

Having a new job (which actually provided a small raise over what I had previously been making), the mileage run bug started to itch after the first paycheck came in. Once AA came out with their Fall EQM promotion, I looked to see if I could make the numbers work.

The planning begins...
The idea of a couple of weekends doing transcons seemed promising, except for the lack of cheap fares when I was available. So, I looked into repeating my STL-West Coast-Europe run of last year. Needing more miles this year, I'd need to two runs and be careful about the routes I chose in order to make 100,000 EQM. MAD and FRA seemed like the best options based on fares, distance and availability.

The first trip is this weekend: STL-ORD-LAX (overnight) LAX-DFW-FRA-ORD-LAX (overnight) LAX-ORD-STL.

The second is in early December: STL-ORD-SJC (overnight) SJC-LAX-DFW-MAD-DFW-LAX (overnight) LAX-SJC-DFW-STL

Everything starts tomorrow evening.. stay tuned for updates (in flight if GoGo is available!)

Greg

Last edited by GregL; Oct 30, 2009 at 1:55 pm
Old Oct 30, 2009, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
An interesting coincidence
Re-reading my trip report from doing this type thing last year, the coincidences of the first day are quite interesting: The weather sucks both here and in Chicago -- heavy rains and strong southerly winds. Luckily, it's starting to clear up in STL and the additional runway at ORD is keeping delays fairly low. Let's hope I don't get delayed as much as last time.

The one worrying note: The ORD-LAX upgrade for tonight still hasn't cleared less than six hours before departure. Yes, I know I'm spoiled.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

STL-ORD
AA619
MD-80
Scheduled 5:55pm-7:10pm
Actual 6:05pm-7:33pm
In-air 6:17pm-6:59pm

I left work about 4:50pm for the 10-15 minute drive to the airport and used a new off-airport parking site which got me to the terminal by 5:15pm.

Security lines were not long, but didn’t move very quickly. At least one person left the priority line to try the regular line as he felt it was moving faster. Made it to the gate by 5:35pm and the flight was just about to start boarding due to a late arrival from Chicago.

First class was full and coach seemed fairly crowded. At departure time, the pilot announced we would push back about 6pm and had a wheels-up time of 6:23pm. By the time we taxied to the end of 30L, we had been released a few minutes early and took off. You could tell it was a bit windy due to the weather that had gone through the area but nothing too bad.

Drink orders were quickly taken and I finished my first just as the lights of Chicago started to pass below. The flight attendant offered another to which I replied “If there’s time…” She obliged but I had to drink quickly as we passed over O’Hare and swung around to land on 27R – the new runway that seems to be on the border of Wisconsin.

At this point I struck up a conversation with my seatmate who was on a business trip to France via ORD and LHR. Her co-worker is an EXP, so they planned on hitting up the Flagship Lounge for a few hours since they were on the late flight to Heathrow. We swapped stories of some of our travels, explained I was on a mileage run – a term she was familiar with from her co-worker -- and passed on some advice on the different lounges at Heathrow for their return flight. I mentioned Flyertalk but doubt she’ll be joining anytime soon.

We taxied to the south side of the field then back north past the United concourses over to the holding pad on the north side of the field where we sat for about twenty minutes. Finally making it to the gate, we (of course) ended up at L4 meaning a good hike over to the H/K concourse to type this up and await my slightly delayed flight to LAX.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

ORD-LAX
AA607
737-800
Scheduled 8:25pm-10:45pm
Actual 8:48pm-10:56pm
In-flight 9:01pm-10:44pm

The good news is that my upgrade on this flight cleared about 3:45pm. A four plus hour in coach, while definitely doable, is something I’ve tried to avoid since the first year of EXP mileage running.

The inbound flight arrive about 40 minutes late from New Orleans, but the ground crew did a good job turning the aircraft so we left only 20 minutes behind schedule. We taxied to runway 28 for departure and took off about 15 minutes after pushback. Once nice surprise – the only empty seat in F was next to me!

The takeoff was fairly bumpy from the strong winds out of the southwest. It was a good 20 or so minutes before the flight attendants were able to get out of their jumpseats. The first announcement from the pilots indicated we were battling a 210 mph headwind… somehow, they are estimating we will arrive only 15 minutes behind original schedule.

This is my second flight on the new 737s American has been acquiring. My first impression (on a flight to Las Vegas) back in August was that the F seats are not my favorite: the cushions seem overly firm and the articulating seat bottom seems awkward. Although the 110v power outlets are a nice plus. I know some people really love these seats… I’d gladly take an MD-80 while they are still in the fleet (especially when they have GoGo and the 737s don’t).

Beverage service didn't start until about 45 minutes after departure and were accompanied by the usual ramekin of warm nuts (in spite of the recent thread highlighting a systemwide ramekin shortage).

With the departure scheduled after 8pm, this flight is considered a "snack" flight as opposed to "dinner" served on the 7:35pm departure (that was leaving at roughly the same time we did this evening). AA has made an effort to improve their domestic meal service in F this year. Previously, a "snack" offered a choice between two cold items (typically one salad and one sandwich) while there is now one hot and one cold choice. Tonight's offerings were chicken parmesan and a salmon salad.

The chicken was breaded and topped with melted cheese along with a small portion of tomato sauce and green beans. Also on the tray were a small salad, italian herb vinegrette, pita chips and roasted red pepper hummus. The last two items replaced the mini-Brie wedge and table water crackers which had been standard for many years.

A decent size meal overall which will be interesting to compare to tomorrow night's "dinner" on the 7:30pm flight.

One comment on the service so far... drink refills are not plentiful. Many crews will offer refills between the nuts and entree or walk around with wine refills during dinner. Neither happened tonight.

Just as the service was starting, the turbulence increased. Nothing causing the FAs to be seated but enough on occasion to make you grab hold of your drink just in case. Even an attempt at a higher altitude (40,000 ft) hasn't helped much.

Dozed for a bit but was surprised to start descending at 10:20pm. Turns out we gained some extra time in the air. Had a few minutes wait for a gate and arrived just over ten minutes behind schedule.

Time for some sleep!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

LAX Overnight
Radisson LAX Hotel

I know lots of people who do what I consider "hardcore" mileage runs. Fly in late in the evening, head back on a red-eye, etc. I can't do that. I value my sleep too much, so I don't mind spending $40-50 to get a good night's sleep along the way. I can’t remember the last time I booked a hotel at ‘normal’ rates. Ever since I found the deals I could get using Priceline (saving up to 80%) I’ve been booked since, unlike airlines, I’m not tied to any frequent stay program.

This is a 3* in the LAX area and I got it for $45/night. Located just off airport property, the shuttle took a little longer than expected as it is shared with the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza (where I’ll be staying Sunday night).

Room was fairly standard except for the Sleep Number bed. First time I’ve ever tried one of them and really didn’t think it was anything special. At just about any setting, I couldn’t notice much of a difference. Maybe it’s just a bad bed. Other downside was a serious lack of towels – 3 bath towels, 1 hand towel, no washcloths and no shower mat to keep the floor dry. If I wasn’t just staying overnight, I’d have made an issue out of it. The free wifi at the hotel is nice however.

Got about 5 ½ hours of sleep – body woke me up at my usual time back home (which is just after 6am on the west coast), showered and got the 7:15am shuttle to the airport.

“At least we’ll go right to the airport on the way back,” I thought. BZZZT. Nope. Went to the Holiday Inn again (let’s see if that happens when I’m staying there!). All well and good until the drive waits for two Continental flight attendants who were running later than their colleagues. I’m fine waiting a few minutes, but no, we waited more than ten. Sorry.. that’s just a pet peeve of mine. I may run a little later than I’d like but I make sure I get where I need to, when I need to.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

LAX-DFW
AA1030
MD-80
Scheduled 8:35am-1:40pm
Actual 8:24am-1:23pm
In flight -- 8:39am-1:12pm

Finally get to terminal 4 about 7:35am, an hour before departure. Not much of a problem as I can use the premium check-in and security line and have no checked bags. Of course the First Class check-in line is about ten people deep, so I use the self-service kiosk instead.

I have to say it bummed me a bit. The formalities of international check-in requiring using an agent always seems special to me. Not in this case… swiped my passport and four boarding passes print out. I’m good to go for the whole trip (although I’m sure they will reprint them somewhere along the line). Security line isn’t too bad as far as LAX can be and took about ten minutes.

Finally make my way to the Flagship Lounge – AA’s International First Class lounge, located inside the Admiral’s Club. Unlike most domestic lounges, the FL offers significant free food and beverages. One thing I hadn’t seen before is the “make your own waffle” station. Too bad I don’t have enough time to try it out – maybe next month! I grab an English muffin, some pineapple and make myself a mimosa. There’s just long enough to check some email, eat some food, use the facilities and head to the gate.

Make my way to the gate at 8:05 (boarding time according to the boarding pass) and find they are already on group 4. Apparently, they want to get rid of us this morning! Actually, I think it has more to do with the following flight being cancelled and them wanting to get as many people on this flight as possible.

As soon as my boarding pass is swiped, one of the gate dragons accosts me about my roll-a-board. Grrrr. It made it out here on the same type aircraft as I’m going on now. Nonetheless, she wants me to put it in the sizer and it doesn’t fit easily. She wants me to check it… and I have other ideas. First thought is to move some things around which isn’t going to be easy considering how I packed it and the tight space I’m in. Second though is the easier one – take out the two bottle wine shipper I’ve brought with me to buy some inexpensive wines during my layover. If you’ve never seen a wine shipper, it’s a cardboard box with a Styrofoam insert used by wineries to mail shipments to customers. They come in sizes from two bottles to a case of twelve. I’ve used the larger ones as checked luggage by themselves coming back from Napa/Sonoma while the smaller ones fit well in checked luggage. Never lost a bottle so far!

So, to make her happy, I took the wine shipper out and rezipped the bag. She didn’t even ask me to put it back in the sizer. Ugh! So I trudge down the jetway with three carryons (laptop, roll-a-board and wine shipper). I’m really surprised she didn’t pull the “you now have too many carryons bit. Get to my seat… seatmate isn’t there yet, so I repack the wine shipper into my bag and put it in the overhead. Exercise in futility complete!

They got us ready to go in a hurry. Gate agent came on a full 20 minutes before departure saying when everyone was seated we could leave – which happened just about five minutes later. Fairly quick taxi down to 25R and we’re off the ground just moments after we were scheduled to push back from the gate. Typical LAX takeoff over the ocean then circle back and head west.

Get the go-ahead to use electronic devices, fire up the laptop to use GoGo… and Ugh! AA has installed GoGo on 150 of their ~250 MD-80s. Guess I’m on one of the hundred without it. Kind of funny that since they’ve installed it, I’ve been on 9 flights – 6 on aircraft it’s not installed on at all yet (ERJ-145, 737-800, 757-200) and this flight without it and two flights I’ve been able to use it – both STL-ORD where you can use it for an entire ten minutes! At least it’s free for a week starting tomorrow with 3 more MD-80 flights to go. Hopefully I can use it then.

Breakfast is served about thirty minutes after takeoff. First a round of beverages, then hot towels then the entrée. I typically try to avoid breakfast flights since the meal choices are usually an omelet or cereal – I don’t like eggs and I’m not a big fan of cereal either. However, it looks like AA has improved the breakfast offerings as well – as the choice is an omelet or pancakes – which I can do! We get 4 small pancakes, two pieces of sausage, a small fruit plate of cantaloupe and honeydew and a choice of biscuit of bagel. Quite filling, especially after my snack in the Flagship Lounge.

With about an hour and a half to go, I look out the window and realize again why I love flying – getting to see the diverse American landscape unfold below. A little disappointing that most of my flights this trip will be after sunset.

We’re making good time and descent begins just before 1. Landing is to the north and then we have the long taxiway from the west side of the airport back over to gate C31.

By the time I make it over to the D terminal (International flights), it’s about 1:45. Just enough time for a quick glass of wine at the Admiral’s Club before boarding the flight to Frankfurt.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:22 am

An interesting read. I consider this run pretty "hardcore"!
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GregL
Tonight's offerings were chicken parmesan and a salmon salad.

The chicken was breaded and topped with melted cheese along with a small portion of tomato sauce and green beans. Also on the tray were a small salad, italian herb vinegrette, pita chips and roasted red pepper hummus. The last two items replaced the mini-Brie wedge and table water crackers which had been standard for many years.
I had that on AA 1707 STL-SEA in April. It was quite good, IMHO.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Stay tuned.. I'll be posting the rest of the report sometime this week.

Greg
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

DFW-FRA
AA70
777-200
Schedule 2:45pm-6:05am
Actual 2:50pm-5:25am
In Flight 3:03pm-5:15am

In hopes of getting my first meal choice, I booked seat 9A – first window on the left side of the cabin. After settling in on this full flight (1 seat was left in Business while Coach was reportedly oversold – I wouldn’t have been surprised if there were some op-ups taking place), I realized I’m not a fan of this seat. With the bulkhead wall right in front of you, it’s a bit claustrophobic. But still, it’s business class so… no more complaints.

The main flight attendant on my aisle seems a bit hit or miss. He hangs a number of coats while ignoring mine folded over the armrest. Pre-flight beverages are offers (water, OJ, champagne and mimosas) as well as newspapers – at which time I request my coat be hung which he gladly obliges at last. Finally menus are distributed for the flight.

To Start
Warm Mixed Nuts

Appetizer
Grilled Citrus Scallops
served with marinated cucumber salad

Salad
Fresh Seasonal Greens and an assortment of fresh vegetables
offered with sour cream and herb dressing
or Sapori d'Arte olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Bread Basket
Assorted gourmet breads

Main Course
BEEF FILLET WITH RED WINE ONION SAUCE
Grilled fillet of beef accented by a red wine onion sauce, offered with roasted butternut squash, haricots vert and mushroom risotto.

CHOOZA TIKKA MASALA
Tandoori marinated chicken breast in a rich fenugreek tomato sauce served with lemon rice and dahl elaichi rajma (red kidney beans simmered in a green cardimom yogurt base.
A signature item developed by At Vermilion chef Maneet Chauhan

ROSEMARY GARLIC SHRIMP
Grilled rosemary and garlic marinated shrimp accompanied by an artichoke, sun-dried tomato and spinach saute with lemon basmati rice.

FOUR CHEESE RAVIOLI
Ravioli pasta filled with four cheeses accented by herbed wild mushroom cream sauce.

Dessert
Ice Cream - Sweet cream and cookies ice cream topped with chocolate shavings.

Saga blue and Jarlsberg cheese accompanied by seasonal grapes and walnuts.

To Finish
Ghirardelli chocolates
A long taxi over to the south end of the east side of the airport and we’re off!

Due to the time change (Europe fell back last weekend while the US does this weekend), we are due to arrive an hour earlier than usual (6:05 vs 7:05). Shortly after takeoff the captain announces due to strong tail winds, our 5144 mile flight will take only 8:14 -- we are due to land at 5:10am. Yikes! My original thought was we’d arrive at 6 or a little later and by the time I made it through immigration, it would just be a short wait (if at all) for the Admirals Club to open to shower before deciding if I wanted to wander around the city at all.

Typical AA business class service starts after takeoff. Bose headsets are distributed, meal orders are taken followed by beverages with warmed nuts. Tables are then set with a black linen and we are served a tray with appetizer and salad. A choice of bread is then offered (sourdough, whole grain or a third type I don’t recall).

The appetizer was not at all what I imagined. Rather than a whole scallop, it’s chopped pieces of scallop along with the diced marinated cucumber and thin noodles. Quite tasty… but again, just not what I imagined.

After clearing those courses, dinner is served. After much debate over the beef, chicken and shrimp, I went with the chicken. I’m a fan of Indian food and curious to see what AA has put together. I’m not disappointed in the least – the serving size was larger than most business class entrees I’ve had over the year and it’s quite well flavored. Instead of going down to the level of “let’s make it as bland as possible so everyone could eat it”, this dish has some spice to it. I actually picked a couple of pieces of chile pepper out of the sauce while eating. Well done, AA! (Although I have to say that by this point I was pretty darn full, as this was my third “meal” in under 7 hours.)

Dessert was one of the new Ben & Jerry’s sundae’s AA proudly announced via press release earlier in the week. A press release for new ice cream sundaes?!? Must have been a slow day at corporate headquarters. But, it definitely hit the spot.

After watching the first half of the recent remake of “The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3”, I decided it was time for some sleep. While not even 6pm in the Midwest, it was already Midnight where I’d be in just a few hours! Dozed on and off for a little over 3 hours. Tried to get back to sleep again but my body wouldn’t cooperate. It was just over 12 hours since I had woken up in Los Angeles.

Finished watching the movie I had started earlier. Can’t say I was a big fan. Having grown up in New York City and been a subway buff, there were far too many inaccuracies from real life as well as from the original movie. I’d give it 2 ½ stars out of 5.

Breakfast
Select From

Chilled Orange Juice

Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Cheese and vegetable omelet enhance by a red pepper sauce, served with roasted sausage and pesto potato wedges.

Yogurt

Cereal

Breakfast Breads
A selection of breakfast breads

Express Breakfast
Served 45 minutes prior to landing to allow you to sleep as long as possible.
Warm breakfast breads, seasonal fruit and your choice of beverage.

Pre-Arrival Beverage
Chilled sparkling water with a fresh citrus garnish.
I skipped eating breakfast – no more food, please!!! – just opting for a glass of orange juice just before we began our descent at 4:40am. Strangely, we ended up going into a holding pattern for a few minutes before touching down at 5:15am. A slow taxi got us to gate C4 followed by a walk to passport control. I have to say I love Germany for their passport control. There are no forms to fill out and very few questions. I was third in line, waited under a minute, was asked no questions and was on my way by 5:35am.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Frankfurt Layover
Now what??? It’s 5:30am. The Admirals Club isn’t open for another hour and a half so no shower for now. Heck, most of the coffee stands in the airport aren’t even open yet! It’s too early to head into the city – plus if I did that I’d want to store my bags at the AC instead of lugging them around. So, I found a nice quiet spot on one of the balcony levels to work on this trip report. Sadly, there is no free wifi so actual posting of it will have to wait.

About 6:45 am I wander over the Admirals Club as it opens at 7am and I want a shower ASAP. Sadly, they had opened the doors already and I’m on the waiting list. Time to check email and have some OJ. By 7:20, I’m called for one of the two shower rooms. It’s nothing to compare to the ones available at Terminal 5 @ LHR or even the Cathay Lounge in LHR, but it will do the trick to make me feel human once again.

After I’m done, I ask about the possibility of leaving luggage at the club while wandering the airport or the city. “I’m afraid it’s not possible since we’re before security,” the club agent responds. I totally understand although it makes my plans to buy a couple of bottles of wine and wander around Frankfurt more difficult.

About 9am, I decide to seek out the Frankfurt Airport Supermarket. Yes, they really have one. It’s not in the terminal itself, but in the building across from it containing the Sheraton hotel and parking garage and accessible by walkway. It wasn’t too difficult to find – basically right across from the “C” hall. The store, “Tegut”, has quite a good selection of items and good prices – especially compared to stores in the airport. I buy two bottles of wine and a pack of chocolate which I immediately repack into my luggage and head over to the AA counters to check-in.

I get the expected odd look from the security person when I say I already have my boarding passes and that my stay has been only 6 hours. When I say “mileage”, she understands.. at least as much as she can probably having heard it many times before. With my bag tagged and security questions asked, I’m free to go for the next 5 hours. I decide to take the S-bahn into Frankfurt just to wander around the city for a while with my laptop bag.

The trip from Frankfurt airport to the center city is quite easy: 4 stops and (theoretically) 11 minutes. However, my train is running about 7 minutes late to start and seems to take about twice as long as it should to get to Hauptbahnhof. Surprisingly, we arrive on one of the main tracks, not the underground S-bahn tracks about 5 minutes before 10. Reading some signs with my limited German, it seems there is track work this weekend reducing frequency and resulting in a split service east and west of the main train station.

I plan to walk east from the station over to the Dom-Romer area (city hall) then back down along the river to the train station. It’s a cool Sunday morning and I’m glad I have my leather jacket. Being Sunday, the city is very quiet with few store open. Getting lost slightly, I find my way back on course and back to the station to catch the 11:17 train back to the airport – although again it’s running late.

Making it back to the airport, I head back to the Admiral’s Club to have some snacks and beverages. They have put out a tureen of cream of pumpkin soup (not my thing), some meatballs and pretzels and rolls. About 12:45, I start to get board. With boarding scheduled to begin at 1:25, I decide to head through passport control and security.

Passport control takes about 15 minutes and I find that FRA now does security within each group of gates as opposed to a centralized point like I’m used to. Duty free offers nothing to get excited about and a wander down the C concourse to see if you could access any of the other air-side OneWorld lounges proves futile as it ends in a checkpoint for the higher-end “C” gates. A previous trip report indicated you could reach the D/E concourses, but that appears to be no longer the case.

By 1:20, I reach the security area for our flight. It’s quite simple of a process. Shoes stay on (yay!), belts come off. I then enter the sterile boarding area with little other than chairs, TV monitors and a water fountain. 1:25 comes and goes before boarding actually starts about 1:40pm
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:26 pm

Just finished reading the TR, pretty interesting! Nice.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Very interesting report. Thanks for posting!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

I still have the return to post... just need to find time!

Greg
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

FRA-ORD
AA 83
Scheduled 2:10pm-5:00pm
Actual 2:12pm-4:46pm
In flight 2:29pm-4:39pm

I board this mostly full flight (full in Business, almost so in Coach) and find the crew has already set out most of the Business Class amenities. In flight video players and Bose headsets are at our seats, along with our pillow and blanket kits. My coat is taken fairly quickly and we’re then offered beverages (same as before minus the mimosas) and newspapers.

We push back nearly on-time and take our time out on taxi. The pilot announces the flight time to be 9:14 (almost an hour longer than DFW-FRA, in spite of being 800 miles shorter). We take off to the east and climb through some minor bumps before reaching cruise. Flight attendants hand out menus as we’re climbing.

To Start
Warm Mixed Nuts
or
Marinated Cheese Antipasto

Appetizer
Smoked salmon and tarragon shrimp
accompanied by capers, red onion and sour cream

Salad
Fresh Seasonal Greens with pickled carrots, plum tomatoes, broccoli and scallions offered with roasted red pepper dressing
or Sapori d'Arte olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Sliced herbes de provence chicken breast

Bread Basket
Assorted gourmet breads
with butter or Sapori d'Arte olive oil

Main Course
BEEF FILLET WITH MUSHROOM BORDELAISE
Grilled fillet of beef served with porcini mushroom butter and bordelaise sauce, cipollini onions, yellow tomatoes, fennel and poached olive oil potatoes

MAPLE DIJON CHICKEN
Seared breast of chicken enhanced by a maple and Dijon mustard marinade, accompanied by sauteed vegetables and garlic mashed potatoes

COCONUT CILANTRO SHRIMP
Sauteed shrimp flavored with a coconut cilanto curry, offered with baby bak choy and hainan rice

MUSHROOM GIRASOLE
Sunflower-shaped pasta filled with mushrooms, enhanced by a portobello mushroom and pesto cream sauce and grated Pamesan cheese

Dessert
Ice Cream sundae
Ben & Jerry's vanilla ice cream with a choice of hot fudge, butterscotch or seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream and pecans.

A selection of gourmet cheeses offered with flavorful dried fruit and assorted crackers

To Finish
Assorted Lindt chocolates
Huh? As I look though the menu, I notice a wine served only in F is on the menu. Maybe AA is offering three-class F wines in the enhanced two-class J service? No… we’re quickly told the wrong menus were loaded. You’ll notice there’s not much difference between the two anyway.

Having been deprived of the Albarino I wanted to sample, I opt for champagne. With the marinated cheese option being feta, I choose the nuts. The appetizer is slightly different than the one offered in F: a scallop, a slice of smoked salmon and a shrimp next to a scoop of… umm… I don’t know. It looked like zucchini marinated or something similar. All I know is I couldn’t identify it, nor could my seatmate or his traveling companion across the aisle.. and it didn’t taste very good. The seafood aspect was quite tasty however.

The salad was sans the chicken listed in the menu (that’s offered only in F) and I chose the roasted red pepper dressing which was quite tasty. For the entrée, I had the maple-mustard chicken, which could have used an extra does of mustard and maple, but all in all was quite good.

Who could say no to a sundae for dessert? Well, other than my seatmate. Mine was with fudge, berries, whipped cream and nuts – just enough to fill me up for a nap. So, I reclined the seat, put on my eyeshades and iPod and slept for the next 4 ½ hours.

Mid-Flight Snack
A selection of gourmet Cheeses offered with flavorful dried fruit and assorted crackers

Or

Assorted snack items are also available
Yeah... I slept through that.

Light Meal

UNO'S FARMER'S MARKET PIZZA

A Chicago-style Deep-Dish Pizza topped with fresh Spinach, Eggplant, sun-dried and Plum Tomatoes, sweet Caramelized Onions and a three Cheese blend of Feta, Mozzarella and Romano flavored with fragrant Basil Pesto accompanied by a fresh Green Salad tossed with English Cucumbers and Cherry Tomatoes

ASIAN-STYLE CHICKEN
Slices of Soy-seared Breast of Chicken served chilled on a bed of grilled Pineapple with Asian Slaw and a sweet and sour Sesame Dressing.

Dessert

Fresh fruit salad or cookies, freshly baked on board

Pre-Arrival Beverage
Chilled Sparkling Water with a fresh Citrus Garnish
I wake up and it’s time for what else – more food! The snack services seems to be a bit early (just over 2 hours left in the flight). I’m offered the Asian chicken, which I would have chosen anyway, although I’d really like to see new options here. I’ve had Asian chicken more times than I can count and it seems to be only occasionally replaced by the beef tenderloin sandwich.

At this point, the FAs begin to prepare for landing – collecting the video players and Bose headsets. We begin our descent as we cross the tip of Michigan and then head down over the lake into Chicago. Landing is to the west and with a short taxi, we arrive at Terminal 5 ahead of schedule.

Immigration is quick – only two or three people ahead of me thanks to quick walking. After using the restroom, bags are already coming out on the carousel and mine is out within a few minutes – good job with the Premium tag!

The train over to Terminal 3 is quite full, including the inbound crew from FRA. I’m looking forward to time in the Flagship Lounge only to first face the TSA. *Sigh*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.