Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Kiwiflyer: What city do you call home? Our is Air New Zealand aircraft home
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
AUCKLAND to VANCOUVER (AKL-YVR) on Air New Zealand 747-400 in premium economy class

I booked this months ago and immediately put in an upgrade request for both flights. The upgrade request for this flight cleared within a few weeks, but I was put into the upper deck. Using online seat request I checked every so often for an opening in the lower deck or at least on the 2 seat side of the upper deck.

I've only flown Air New Zealand premium economy on the 777, but from all reports the lower deck 747 seat is the way to go. No torture of seeing business class in the front half of the upper deck cabin (I've sat there before and experienced the stares from the other side), and seating on lower deck is 2-(0)-2 with a small cabin, whereas upstairs it is 3-2 (and I was put in the 3 side). Also the seats are apparently slightly wider downstairs, and there is more storage space (bigger overhead bins and there is still a side bin in premium economy downstairs).

I don't like premium economy on the 777 - it has a large domitory feel from several rows of 3-3-3, and the seats are very narrow (with tray table between seats arguably even narrower than economy!).

I was looking forward to trying it out on the 747. Sometime after booking I was dismayed to find the aircraft had been swapped to a 777. Fortunately for me it was later swapped back to 747.

Persistent checking paid off when a day before departure, finally, there was an opening on the lower deck. A couple of clicks with the mouse and I switched seats.

Also on the day before departure the concierge on my flight called to check if there was anything I needed help with ^
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:39 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

On the day of the flight I had enough time to take the airbus, or so I thought. Supposedly the bus runs every 15 minutes. But after waiting 15 minutes there was no sign of a bus (in either direction). One of the annoying things about waiting is the longer you wait the more you feel the bus is coming soon so worth waiting a little longer. Of course this is silly but I held off switching to a cab by waiting some more. Oh well, less drinking time in the lounge. After half an hour a bus finally showed up, which I almost missed because another bus had just pulled into the bus stop before the airbus came around the corner and was thus mostly obscuring the airbus driver's view.

There was a crash on Mangere Bridge which made for very slow speeds for several kilometres, but other than that the traffic was okay. I arrived at the airport more than an hour later than I intended (even allowing for some wait for the airbus).

I sped past the check in areas and headed for the premium lobby. There was an agent with no one in front so was seen to immediately. I quickly issued a boarding pass. No op-up for me. I had monitored the loads and thought there was a moderate chance someone would need to be op-upped (assuming no passengers had pending u/g requests from premium economy to business class). I asked if I could get the onward boarding pass, but the agent was new and rather than spend further precious drinking lounge time trying to explain it I gave up and went on my way.

Immigration in the lobby was very quick, but upstairs at security the area was heaving with passengers. It is a busy time of evening with many longhaul flights as well as the evening flights to Australia. I managed to avoid the random explosives check and pat-down and went round and round and round and up and round to the lounge. Yes a convoluted passage designed to ensure everyone passes every shop to get anywhere.

Earlier this year the boarding passes changed from a large font for the frequent flyer status to a small font. As the lounge reception agent didn't recognise me (see I'm not that famous) she had to squint to check I was lounge eligible as premium economy on its own does not provide this. That negotiated I entered.

There was a minor halloween theme with a couple of token decorations by the service desk. I wondered why they bothered.

With a couple of long flights ahead of me I grabbed a quick drink before taking a refreshing shower. Then onto a spare computer to catch up on messages and sort out a few things I planned to do during the next transit. There was a good selection of wine available which I sampled generously, in order to best compare and contrast of course. There was also a gentleman offering tastings of a couple more wines, but by this time I was going quite nicely without any extra assistance.

The food was mediocre - the worst I have seen in this lounge, so far as I can recall, in this my 96th visit here. Incidentally this lounge is only the 3rd most visited by me, if you count every separate lounge. If you count all the Auckland airport lounges combined (currently 6 individual lounges which I've visited all many times, and one that has since closed) I have 312 visits, easily the most of any airport for me.

Anyway, I digress. The food offering was weak. There was some fettucini and beef stroganoff that appeared to be mostly gravy, some plain rolls, some ham & cheese, and little else. I had a roll to keep me going until dinner - from past experience it would be a while after take-off before we are served, and I expected premium economy would be served after business class (since we get the leftovers), and it was ages since I'd had breakfast. There was also the small matter of drinking wine on an empty stomach.

The lounge was busy, like the terminal, and so I logged off the computer once I had done the most urgent stuff so others could use it. This also gave me a chance for another drink. After a while I noticed there were spare computers still. Unusually not too many people wanting to use them tonight, so I went back on to deal with some other less urgent matters, but not before swinging by the wine fridge once more.

Shortly before boarding the inflight concierge announced he was circulating in the lounge for a few minutes if anyone had any questions. On many of the longhaul flights, the CSM or concierge does this routinely. I think it is a great initiative by Air NZ, albeit there isn't enough time for a proper chat or really get anything done.

The boarding call was made and I headed for the gate. This time fairly close, and unusually for Air NZ boarding hadn't actually commenced yet. Normally the call in the lounge is timed so that boarding is already underway so that premium/status passengers do not have to spend time milling around at the gate and can spend more time and effort on more important matters in the lounge. Yes, you know what I mean!

Since Air New Zealand brought in gate to gate IFE I don't mind so much boarding early as it is an opportunity for a second pre-departure drink and to get a head start on viewing a movie (the IFE is already switched on when you board so you can start as soon as you sit down). This is great on night flights as you have already finished the movie by the time dinner/supper ends and don't have the sleep vs finish the movie dilemna.

Apologies for this being so protracted. I'll get onto the flight tomorrow, because now I need to rush off.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 8:40 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Fun reports, thanks. Stroganoff's all about the gravy.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

As I was getting settled into the seat, my seat mate arrives and asks to switch seats. I'm a bit of a sucker for swapping seats even if I've particularly selected one for my preferences as long as I don't end up in a vastly inferior seat (like a middle seat for example).

I made a start on a movie, accepted the pre-departure drinks offers and inspected the goodies available. Premium economy on Air NZ is business-lite. You get most of the things that business class gets except a normal seat slightly better than economy seats instead of a suite with bed.

This means noise cancelling headphones, small amenity kit with the same contents as business class (minus the pen) but in a paper bag (it's more stylish than it sounds) instead of a cloth bag, nice blanket, but the pillow is not very good. A menu is handed out (less descriptive than the business class menu but otherwise very similar), and post-departure drink orders were taken.

We had the usual push back and wait that occurs for flights to North America due to USA's requirement to pre-approve every single passenger before anyone can fly through their airspace.

The seat itself is considerably wider than economy (on 747 lower deck), has several inches more legroom and also a bit more recline. There is a decent footrest too. When the seat in front reclines it still is a bit in your face (if you are sitting upright) as my seat mate discovered when the passenger in front of her suddenly reclined while we were having cheese and port sending several glasses of various drinks flying.

As you may have guessed from the last paragraph I had the pleasure of a drinking buddy. It is always better to share drinks and it is more enjoyable sampling the various offerings when you don't have someone beside you glaring as each new glass is filled and passed over them. Besides which, we had a great tag team going for top-ups

The food was fairly good, although I've had better on Air NZ. I like the way you can have both cheese and dessert. None of this penny pinching by forcing passengers to choose between the courses.

I watched a couple of movies, had a wee chat with the concierge and eventually was tired enough for sleep. A few hours later we were woken with the economy class breakfast announcements, about 2 hours out from Vancouver.

Not much view until very close to landing due to low cloud. At least it wasn't raining for our arrival. We had very strong tailwinds so arrived rather early. The previous time I took this flight I had a lengthy wait on the airbridge, but this time I could power walk to immigration. I was glad I did because there were huge queues. For non-Canadians and Americans there were two lines with a bouncer directing people to a particular line. I was shocked that it appeared to be on racial lines - Asians were directed to one queue while Caucasians had a different queue.

After 30 minutes in the queue it was finally my turn. I had a few questions about my short "stay" in Canada but this time I managed to avoid the infamous Canadian secondary (which I experienced myself a few years ago when I was nearly denied entry). No problem at customs and I was landside about the time I expected to be.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Premium Economy menu Auckland to Vancouver

Dinner

Starter

Vanilla poached salmon
with cherry tomato, endive salad and dill crème fraiche

Main Course

Cabernet braised beef
with mini mushroom pastry, root vegetables and rosemary gnocchi

New Zealand snapper
on yuzu braised fennel with potatoes, green beans and red pepper, caper and macadamia salsa

Penne pasta carbonara
with thyme and parsley, double smoked bacon, courgette and toasted panko crumbs

Dessert

Raspberry lamington
with fresh cream

Cheese

Fine New Zealand cheese and fresh fruit

Breakfast

Fruit, Cereal and Bakery

Fruit selection with assorted cereals and yoghurt
Croissants and muffins with fruit conserve

Hot Breakfast

Cheddar and chive scrambled egg
with chicken sausage, mushroom ragout and cherry tomatoes

Cinnamon spiced brioche toast
with fresh orange marmalade and mascarpone cream

Please accept our apologies should your first choice not be available due to previous customer selection

Beverages

A premium selection of fine New Zealand wines is available on your flight today. This selection, chosen by our panel or recognised wine consultants, will be detailed by your flight attendants. New Zealand’s award-winning 42Below vodka is also available in cocktails created for Air New Zealand.

A full selection of beer, spirits, soft drinks and hot beverages is available throughout the flight.

Snacks

Help yourself from our range of snacks available for you to enjoy during your flight. For something more substantial, ask your flight attendant for a selection of club sandwiches.

UC84_AKL-YVR_209
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

VANCOUVER

I took the newly opened Canada Line train into the city. Initially the (one-way) fare is C$3.75 although this will soon go up.

I caught up with a good friend and had a great chat and a nice wander around the city (despite the drizzle & rain) before it was time to head back to the airport.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

VANCOUVER to AUCKLAND (YVR-AKL) on Air New Zealand 747-400 in economy class and also in business class

Although I've flown out of Vancouver several times it has always been on domestic or trans-border (to USA) flights. I'd checked beforehand that there was an Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge in the trans-border area, but that it had no showers. Fortunately, for me and fellow passengers, I'd made other arrangements and had already showered before reaching the terminal.

The international check in area was very quiet with only 3 or 4 flights over the next several hours. The long row of desks was largely empty. Sods law meant the Air New Zealand check in was at the furthest end away from both the Canada Line train station and the security checkpoint.

My upgrade request (to premium economy) hadn't cleared and nor had I been given an op-up. The flight had been zeroed out for some days so either were possibilities. The check in agent couldn't believe the size (or lack of) of my carry-on. "I guess you really do not need to check that." "Yes, that is the point of travelling light." I got a fast track sticker for the boarding pass and walked to security.

The initial security line checker directed me away from the fast track line but the 2nd checker a few metres further along said I should stick up for my rights and just duck under the rope ^ At the WTMD I put my carry on bag on the rollers, whipped out the liquids baggy with a practiced swoop while inserting the metallic items from my pockets into the bag and walked through. Almost all the other passengers were removing shoes and belts. I am not sure if this is because it is required but the security officers just missed seeing me not do it due to being so quick, or whether it is just a matter of being ground down by frequent travel to/through USA. I notice many American visitors to Australia and New Zealand try to remove shoes and belts at airport security before they are stopped by the officers.

No exit immigration for Canada. The lounge is immediately after security. So close to security indeed that it would be very easy to miss as the entrance is tucked away to the left before the first duty free shop. Inside the lounge bouncer asks to see my card - the *G on the boarding pass alone is not good enough. There is a delay while she tries to work out if it is a valid card - it looks different to the pictures she has of the NZ*E card. Not wanting to arouse suspicion I opted not to whip out any of my other *G cards to see if they were acceptable instead. After all, other than some crazy FTers, who has several *G cards all valid at the same time?

The lounge was very disappointing. Despite the Air New Zealand flight being the only *A one for several hours the lounge was very full. There are a couple of computers. No shower as mentioned and tiny, ill-appointed, bathrooms. There was little food (cheese, crackers, celery & carrot, cookies) and mediocre drink offerings.

I caught up on a little bit of work before heading out 10 minutes before boarding was due to commence in order to have time for shopping. I needn't have bothered. Not only were almost all the shops closed by now, but boarding was running late and there was a zoo at the gate.

Coming up next - a bizarre few hours.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Non-New Zealanders and Australians were asked to come to the gate desk to check they met NZ immigration requirements (ie have their onward travel checked).

There was also a lot of seat shuffling going on due to lots of people travelling together being seated apart.

After a while boarding was called by row. That's right no priority boarding for business class, premium economy class, or Star Alliance gold status passengers. Disappointment number one.

Sitting at the front of the economy cabin, I was in the last seating area to be called to board and was almost the last passenger onboard. I stowed my bag and was dismayed to see the nice seat which had been specially blocked for me was filled and yet there were plenty of other empty seats scattered around including one whole row which had been "saved" for someone to move into before takeoff (but after doors were shut). Disappointment number two.

I went to start the IFE with the plan to see one movie, eat and then sleep. Unfortunately on my seat and the seat adjacent the IFE was broken with a message that AVOD was unable but we could scroll through looped movies instead using the channel button. Unfortunately all that achieved was a white screen of death. Disappointment number three.

After take-off we mentioned the IFE problem and asked whether it could be fixed or if we could shift to one of the spare seats where presumably the IFE is working. They tried rebooting our 2 seats' IFE a few times. Eventually, after dinner, they IFE started working.

Normally as NZ*E flying Air NZ longhaul in economy the CSM or concierge will pop by to say hello, offer a newspaper and often also noise cancelling headphones, glass of wine and other goodies. This flight there was none of that. This was not the usual great experience.

For the initial part of the flight there was moderate turbulence so dinner service was delayed. When it was finally served we had a choice between chicken, potatoes and beans, or beef curry and rice. The second trolley came by with drinks. Just when it got to us there was some issue a few rows back (I'm not sure what exactly) which took 20 minutes to resolve. Then the FA almost forgot about us and by the time we got a drink dinner was almost eaten and we were about 2 1/2 hours into the flight.

By this time I was starting to get cranky. Very little had gone right so far and I can safely say it was shaping up to be my worst flight with Air NZ (although I have of course had worse with other airlines).

But then something happened.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
One of the crew took pity on you and you were upgraded to BP?

Seriously, what a throughly miserable experience to date. I have had flights that have gone horribly wrong with weather, maintenance issues etc but nothing as bad as that.

Last edited by MrSydney; Oct 21, 2009 at 3:05 pm
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Almost - you're on the right track. Unfortunately I don't have enough time before my next flight to do the next instalment.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:17 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Another guess, the IFM recognised you as the FT Famous Kiwiflyer and hence ug

It is surprising how good FA's in BP are recognising familar faces.

I was flying down on NZ19 in July and an off duty FA LHR based was on the same flight and remembered me. We ended up having a lovely long chat^
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Where was I? Ah yes, I was just starting to drift off ...

... when I felt a gentle tapping on my shoulder.

"I'm glad we found you."

That's odd I didn't think I was lost. I'm in the seat I'd selected many months ago.

"[name redacted, the concierge of the flight to Vancouver] left us a note asking us to look after you ... "

Indeed the concierge did say a note would be left, but I was thinking it would be along the lines of please give lush and passenger Kiwi Flyer a glass of nice business class wine.

"... and we've arranged a better seat for you to sleep in."

Even in my groggy state my ears pricked up immediately. Perhaps there was an empty row down the back reserved for me?

No, it was even better. A double upgrade to business class, accompanied by an apology they hadn't found me sooner. My new seat was already made up into a bed for me to keep the minimum of fuss and noise for passengers who were sleeping already.

My mind whirring, digesting the surreality of it all, it took me a while to drop off. Next thing I know is being woken to gentle clinking of cutlery and crockery and muffled voices as the cabin had breakfast. I had some coffees to wake up, and discreetly moved my carry-on and the duty free up since I'd left it behind at the original seat.

Although I missed out on the business dinner and drinks, menu card and amenity kit I was still very grateful for getting a reasonable sleep in much more comfort than I expected.

With stronger than normal headwinds we arrived late. At this hour of day immigration and customs are very busy still processing several longhaul flights as well as any delayed overnight shorthaul flights. Fortunately the queues were all fast moving and not too long, especially the far right customs one (the lane wrap around behind a wall and invariably the left lane is where most passengers head). No secondary for me so I raced outside, just missed the inter-terminal transfer bus and ran across to the domestic terminal to catch up with serfty before his flight.

Next - a new domestic experience (yes there are still some new flying experiences for me).
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

PRE-TRIP the third

It has been a busy few days since the quick trip to Vancouver, and I have a couple more trips to write up. I hope to write the next instalment tomorrow in between flights.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

AUCKLAND to WELLINGTON (AKL-WLG) on Air New Zealand 737-300 in economy class (space+ seating zone)

A couple of days later I was up at OMG o'clock and on my way to the airport for the first domestic flight of the day. I had a few minutes before security opened at 0530 so hopped onto one of the free computers in the terminal. Unfortunately they were all broken (I haven't seen that happen yet), so I ended up just standing around with all the others waiting for security.

At this early hour of the morning most people seemed to be lethargic so despite standing some distance away I was first through security and quickly into the lounge. Just enough time to deal with a couple of email messages and a glass of juice and boarding was called 5 minutes later. There were no newspapers in the lounge (not yet delivered) but an array of breakfast foods and beverages were available. No time for me to eat though.

I waited for the second call comfortable in the knowledge there would be a queue at the gate given the flight is relatively full. On the second call I headed out. I grabbed a newspaper at the gate (these are free for all passengers on koru hour flights) and boarded instantly, there being no queue. The flight was full. No empty middle seat for me.

I dropped off to sleep soon after the safety video was played. No doubt the usual morning koru hour offering was available - muffin or cereal, tea coffee or water.

There was a strong and blustery northerly blowing so I was awoken on descent as we rocked our way to land.

I had a little bit of time before my first meeting so I headed to the Qantas Club for one of my last visits there before it shuts, so I could do some work in comfort and fortified with copious free coffee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.