Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Jacob_m does 66 hours in C for a quick visit to APW (and reviews EK/FJ/KE/NZ/OZ/TK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jacob_m does 66 hours in C for a quick visit to APW (and reviews EK/FJ/KE/NZ/OZ/TK)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:34 am

great report, Jacob_m!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Huh? I have gotten seats pre-allocated on all my Asiana flights.
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
You must tell your secrets, I havent managed to get my seat pre-allocated either.
I never managed to prebook a seat on the OZ flight, neither did the travel agent, nor the SAS agent in the call center.
The fact that it was a longhaul flight in C did not make a difference.

Kiwi flyer, if you have any secrets, please fell free to share!

If you are a member of the OZ FF-program I noticed a login page on the Asiana webpage where it said something about seat assignments.
But no matter what I am not a member and had no intention to join the program.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 5:21 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Thumbs up Great TR

An absolute gem of a report. Loved every bit of it.^ Due to slow Internet connections, I have not opened any of the photo's as the text is very descriptive.:-::-: One day I would love to do such a trip. Looking forward to more.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:44 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Thanks for the report...I read nearly all of it in the Royal Club Lounge at Le Meridien, Kuala Lumpur, last night and this afternoon...a nice lounge and a very nice report.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

IST-ARN with Turkish Airlines in C

Transit in Istanbul

Transit time again, but fortunately one of the easiest and quickest transit experiences during this trip.
After stepping off the plane from Seoul I followed the signs marked flight connections which led me to an area next to the immigration area. Since I already had a boarding pass for my connecting flight I showed it to a mildly interested officer and then took an escalator up to the departure level and entered the transit hall between two duty free shops.
That’s about it! Security takes place at the gate for all passengers.

Busy morning at the airport and I could see very long queues at passport control for passengers starting their journey in Istanbul, for a change it was actually nice to be a transit passengers at an airport

After spending my remaining Turkish lira on some booze and some Turkish delight in one of the duty free shops I headed for the lounge for a few cups of coffee.

Pics
The very colourful transit hall
A rather nice café in the transit hall

Turkish Airlines lounge, Istanbul

The lounge was rather crowded this morning with many departures between 7 am and 9 am but I found an empty seat without too much problem.

The selection of food was quite extensive as usual but actually quite similar to my previous visit except that there were no hot food and desserts but instead a better selection of yoghurts.
I wasn’t very hungry after having eaten breakfast on the plane and just had some yoghurt and a few cups of coffee.
I realised that this was about to become a marathon series of flights and that so far 32 hours had passed since I checked in at Sydney airport, and I was still not at my final destination.
I was really starting to feel a bit groggy and jet-lagged and not even three cups of coffee helped this time.

Finally here are a few morning photos of the lounge and the breakfast selection.
Very nice natural light in the lounge in the morning and the weather outside was the best possible.
There is also a photo of the rather interesting computer room in the lounge.

Pics
The entrance to the Turkish Airlines lounge
First sight inside the lounge
Morning ambience in the lounge
Lots of seating
The bar and dining area
Self-service buffet: Yoghurt
Self-service buffet: Sandwiches
Self-serivce buffet: Bread and pastries
Self-service buffet: Cheese and vegetables
The internet computer room with an interesting interior

Boarding

The vast majority of the flights between Stockholm and Istanbul (about 2-3 daily departure during the summer) are operated by Boeing 737 and Airbus A320 aircrafts, which makes perfect sense considering the demand.
However when the booking was made I got the option to pre-book a seat, which I naturally took advantage of, and I was able to select seat 02K for the flight.
During all my years of flying I have never ever been on a narrowbody aircraft where the window seat on the right side has had the letter K. There had to be another type of aircraft operating this flight…
Indeed that was exactly the case, for some very unknown reason this flight was going to be operated by an Airbus A330, and on the day of the departure there was actually even more surprisingly an Airbus A340 waiting at the gate, an even larger aircraft.
I don’t know why they did this, but I certainly did not mind to spend a few more hours in longhaul business class.

As always in Istanbul security control took place at the gate. Our gate area was shared with a British Airways flight to London LHR and the lines were long and slow with only two x-ray machines in use for two flights leaving roughly at the same time.
Although there were a fair number of passengers waiting for the Stockholm flight including an Israeli sports team of 30 I found it hard to believe the A340 would be full.

Boarding started at 8.25 am, 25 minutes before scheduled departure time. The only announcement made was a general boarding call, no priority boarding and no use of sections for economy class.

The Airbus A340 that would take us to Stockholm this morning was called Ankara, just like the Turkish capital, and it was nicely painted in the Star Alliance colours, probably to show TK is rather serious about the Star Alliance membership.

Pics
The departure board, busy morning!
The TK A340 in Star Alliance livery seen from the gate
View from the gate area, beautiful morning with lots of TK metal and an A330 or A340 just about to land

Onboard the A340 again

The aircraft had the same longhaul configuration and interior as the incoming flight with large spacious and comfortable business class seats with ample legroom, without a doubt this was going to be another comfortable flight.

Interestingly only two seats were taken in business class (out of 34 seats in total) and funnily we had both selected seats right behind each other. A rather young man was sitting in 01K when I came onboard (never figured out his nationality) and I had reserved seat 02K.
At least our seat selections made it easy for the flight attendant to perform the meal service.
A deadheading crewmember (a captain I think) finally joined us in business class and settled in seat 04K.
It felt very strange to be in a large and nearly deserted business class cabin with 31 spacious business class seats completely empty, the conversations were nearly echoing in the cabin (OK they weren‘t, but nearly...).
I believe there was a good load in economy though, but probably not 100%.

Pre-departure drinks were offered, and of course I would not decline a last glass of bubbles during this trip (the other options were not surprisingly OJ and water, just for the records).

My jacket was also taken and newspapers offered in the cabin.

Pics
The business class cabin on the A340
A glass of bubbly, the last one of this trip
An almost deserted business class cabin
Facts about the Airbus A340

Premium baggage handling in action

In my trip reports I sometimes include small interesting events that took place during the trips.
In Istanbul I got to enjoy what baggage sorting and baggage loading can look like.
As most of you probably know Airbus A340s use containers for the luggage, but for some reason the luggage had only been loaded on carts and for some other reason the baggage handlers were going to do the final loading into containers at the apron stand (poor guys, it was not exactly cold outdoors).

Quite quickly I could spot my suitcase on one of the carts, it’s a rather odd suitcase in a rather unusual blue colour that is always easy to recognise wherever I go (nice it had made it this far by the way).
Just for fun I decided to see what they would do with it, it had a Star Alliance priority tag that I remembered the check-in agent in Sydney attached properly and rather visibly.
I was quite positively surprised when I saw the baggage guy reaching for my bag and actually noticing the tag, he said something to his colleague, and then they put it aside.
The bag ended up standing on the apron until every other bag had been loaded on the plane, then one of the guys came back for my suitcase which was loaded separately (I believe in one of the holds instead of in a container).

I guess my bag was the only one with a priority tag onboard. Nice work Turkish Airlines! ^

Pics
Baggage handlers loading luggage in containers
That‘s my blue suitcase being taken aside to be loaded last

Istanbul-Stockholm/Arlanda, flight TK 1793 operated by Turkish Airlines
Departure: 08:50
Arrival: 11:20
Aircraft: Airbus A340-300
Class: Business Class
Seat: 02K

Due to heavy morning traffic pushback got slightly delayed and we were finally given permission to leave the gate at 9.10 am.

The captain informed us the flight time to Stockholm was expected to be 2 hours and 55 minutes and that we would fly at an altitude of 34,000 feet.

There were four aircrafts in front of us at the runway and I could notice four aircrafts behind us when it was finally our turn to line up. Istanbul Atatürk has really become a busy airport nowadays.
We finally took off at 9.30 am from runway 36R. As on previous flights the cockpit camera was turned on during taxi, take-off and climb, which is always nice.
I enjoyed some nice views of Istanbul and the Bosphorus during the climb before we set course for Bulgaria and the Black Sea.

Pics
Pushback with lots of TK metal at the international terminal
Waiting at the runway with four aircrafts behind
Take-off roll, cockpit view
Istanbul and the Bosphorus

The menu

Very nicely Turkish Airlines hands out a menu in business class even on shorter intra-European flights describing the food (usually 2 choices for breakfast and 3 choices of main course for lunch/dinner) as well as soft drinks and alcoholic drinks available onboard.
Unfortunately the wines on offer are not mentioned in the menu. Small bottles are used on intra-European flights however there is usually a fairly good selection onboard, but you need to ask the crew about that.

Pics
The business class menu

Here is the breakfast menu to Stockholm:

Menu Istanbul-Stockholm

Fresh fruit salad

Yoghurt with honey

Beef ham and herbed chicken

Assorted cheese

Please choose from our selection:

Scrambled eggs
turkey ham & cheese toast
grilled tomato and green pepper

or

Crepes with scrambled eggs
herbed sautéed mushrooms / grilled green pepper
cherry Tomato / grated yellow cheese

Ovenfresh croissant and bread selection

Butter / Jam

Freshly brewed coffee or tea

Beverages

Champagne

Spirits:
Blended whisky, Bourbon, Whisky, Gin, Vodka, Raki

Wine:
Selected Turkish and international wines

Beers:
Carlsberg, Efes Pilsen

Juices:
Orange, Tomato, Sourcherry

Soft drinks:
Cola, Cola Light, Sprite, Ice Tea Lemon, Mineral Water

Hot drinks:
Freshly brewed coffee, Tea
Meal service

Shortly after the seatbelt sign had been switched off the single female flight attendant offered hot towels in business class and also took meal and drink orders for the breakfast service.
I believe there were actually one or two more flight attendants onboard who were supposed to serve business class, but three passengers could easily be managed by one flight attendant.
The young female flight attendant was quite friendly and actually addressed me by name a few times which was a nice touch.

White tablecloths were laid on the tables, on intra-Europe flights the ones they use are made by paper in contrast to longhaul flights where proper linen are used, but no big deal, most airlines won’t offer anything at all on similar routes.
A breakfast tray was then handed out with yoghurt, cold cuts, cheese, vegetables and a bowl with fresh fruit.
Fruit juices were also offered as well as a nice selection of breads. Butter and jam were available on the tray.
Next the hot breakfast was offered, a choice between crepes and scrambled eggs. Since I had crepes on the flight from Seoul I chose scrambled eggs this time which was served with a turkey ham and cheese toast, grilled tomatoes and green pepper.
Overall a very decent breakfast service which I finished off with a large cup of coffee.

Pics
Cold breakfast
Hot breakfast
A cup of well-needed coffee

Inflight entertainment system

With not much else to do during the two remaining hours and being too tired to read or watch a full movie I took the opportunity to play a bit more with the excellent inflight entertainment system and explore some parts I had not checked on previous flights.

There is a very nice kids menu for example with some Disney movies and some cartoons. The Disney movies actually included some recent ones I had not seen (and probably would have watched with a bit more time).

The games section is also rather extensive and includes around 20 games. I tried a few games of poker and did pretty well at the end.

There is also an excellent news section with updated text news divided into several sections like world and regional news, sports, business and even weather reports.
The world news section was very good and indeed very updated, a great feature enabling passengers to use the time in the air to catch up on the latest news.
A weather report was also available including all cities served by Turkish Airlines, however the temperature indications were slightly deceptive as they indicated the current temperature (or the temperature just before departure, i.e. at 7-8 am) and not the forecast.

I finally settled with a documentary about coffee, about a man going to Italy to learn how the best espressos are made. Good documentary for me, I really need to find out where that café in Rome is located.

Pics
Poker
A documentary about coffee
Kids menu
Live text news
World news
Weather report for Stockholm, I think that‘s the temperature when we departed though (8 am)
Flight map showing we are flying over Latvia

A delightful sightseeing tour of the Swedish capital

Just after leaving the Latvian coast we started our slow descent over the Baltic Sea into Stockholm.
Even though I have landed more times at Arlanda than I can possibly count most of the time I arrive in darkness in the evening. Those times I actually land in daylight I always arrive from destinations located south or southwest from the city meaning a rather different approach than the one we were going to do today from the east.

This morning the weather was absolutely superb with 27 degrees and not a single cloud in the sky and I got one of the nicest approaches I have experienced for many years.

The initial descent was done over the 30,000 islands archipelago where I could see the northern part of it and even two large ferries arriving from Finland in the far distance.

We then made a left turn and flew right over the city centre from the east.
TK has two cameras onboard accessible via the inflight entertainment system, one showing the view from the cockpit and one showing what is on the ground right below the aircraft.
I decided to check out the second option and it turned out we flew so centrally I got a photo of the sea-approach to central Stockholm followed by a really cool full-size photo of the old town, the island dating back to the 13th century which was basically the entire city back then.
The old royal castle with its large courtyard and circle-shaped wings can easily be recognised as well as the parliament building. Never experienced anything like that before! ^

Finally a sharp right turn was made to set course for the airport located 40 km north of the city.
A spectacular panoramic view of the city became visible outside my window including the island where I live since a few months ago.

The best photos from the approach are available below.

Pics
Approach info for Stockholm
Beautiful panorama of the northern archipelago (which has 30,000 islands in total)
Right below us the islands of Djurgården and Skeppsholmen and an international cruiser ship about to dock
Right below us next: The Old Town dating back to the 13th century with the royal castle on the bottom right of the island and the parliament on the small island to the right
The island of Kungsholmen where I nowadays keep my pick and pack when not travelling
A fantastic panorama of the Swedish capital, really as good as it can get!

Arrival in Stockholm

We finally landed at 11.25 am at runway 01R at Arlanda airport, the newest runway which is actually not very often in use.
Despite a late departure from Istanbul it seemed like we made up some time during the flight and landed only five minutes late.

While taxiing to the terminal we also passed the jumbo hostel, the first one in the world located in an old Boeing 747-200 built in 1976 and used over the years by many airlines like Pan Am and Singapore Airlines.
The airplane was acquired by a Swedish airline called Transjet in 2002, but because of too many remarks from the authorities the airline ceased operations the same year and since nobody wanted the aircraft it ended up standing next to one of the taxiways at the airport for many years, a well-known sight for regulars at the airport.
However in 2007 a man came up with the idea to make this old aircraft into a hostel and eventually got all necessary approvals from the authorities.
In August 2008 the hostel finally opened with 25 rooms including a suite in the cockpit where most of the instruments have been left intact. There is also a lounge on the upper deck with proper business class seats.
I would very much like to stay there one night, just for the experience.

Anyway, safely parked at terminal 5 and gate 17 I was the first passenger off the airplane and immigration took about 10 seconds.
However baggage delivery was a disappointment. Despite seeing and even having photo proof of my bag being loaded separately/last somehow the baggage handlers at ARN messed it up again. My suitcase was something like number 95 on the belt after about 15 minutes wait, many economy passengers who arrived a few minutes after me in the arrivals hall actually left before I did.
Really how hard can it be to make it work also in Scandinavia? They had one single bag to keep track of! They really need to put their acts together, this was just embarrassing!

Having no travel card for the journey to the city centre I headed over to Skycity, the shopping complex located between terminal 4 and terminal 5, which has some nice panorama windows overlooking the apron.
I could clearly see the Turkish Airlines A340 in Star Alliance colours through the window, and it’s not very often I would say an aircraft looks beautiful, but this one really did!

Pics
Final approach for runway 01R
Passing over the main highway to the airport
The jumbo hostel in an old Boeing 747-200
The TK A340 at the gate
The rather worn arrivals hall in terminal 5, it should need a facelift
The TK A340 with Star Alliance colours seen from Skycity, looks very nice!

A new personal record

By now I was incredibly tired, exhausted, sweaty and jet-lagged and could not wait to spend a few hours in a proper bed.
An impressive 38 hours had passed since I checked in at Sydney airport including about 25 hours of actual flight time. This is easily the most I have ever done in one go!!
Although a fascinating experience with some very nice business class lounges, seats and meals during those 38 hours, next time I think I will include an overnight stop on the way.

Conclusion

Last conclusion of this trip and last summary of a Turkish Airlines flight.
As usual seat and inflight entertainment system were great on the TK A340.
The breakfast was one of the better ones I have had on a intra-Europe flights, a rather proper, tasty and filling meal. Although it’s hard to really make something out of a breakfast service, the breakfast dishes I have had on TK have at least differed a bit from the usual stuff
The service onboard was friendly and polite although a second drink round during the flight would have been nice.
Hands up to the ground staff in Istanbul for their priority baggage handling and hands down to the ground staff in Stockholm for completely messing that up.

Last edited by jacob_m; Jul 12, 2009 at 2:33 am
Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Amazing TR.

Riveting reading, great writing and excellent pics.

Great to read about OZ and how great they are.

Yes its interesting that OZ and QF code share on OZ metal, QF used to fly to Seoul - and they had a code share agreement before OZ joined Star Alliance. OZ used to use the OW terminal (1 and 2 ) at SYD - but have been using the Star Alliance terminal at SYD for quite a while now.

Adam
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks jacob_m for the rest of the report ^^

I'm surprised by the OZ pre-allocation comments. I just asked and was pre-allocated seats each of the 4 flights - one ticket was through TA, another an award (not using OZ miles). Changed them a couple of times too.

Originally Posted by jacob_m
A new personal record

By now I was incredibly tired, exhausted, sweaty and jet-lagged and could not wait to spend a few hours in a proper bed.
An impressive 38 hours had passed since I checked in at Sydney airport including about 25 hours of actual flight time. This is easily the most I have ever done in one go!!
Although a fascinating experience with some very nice business class lounges, seats and meals during those 38 hours, next time I think I will include an overnight stop on the way.
38 hours not that unusual for some of us
Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
38 hours not that unusual for some of us
Thanks for the nice comments and regarding above I have to say I am not surprised considering some itineraries you have done.

For me although I love spending time up in the air, travelling for nearly 40 hours nonstop is simply very tiring, even in premium cabins.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Summary

Summary of the trip

Airlines flown: EK, FJ, KE, NZ, OZ, TK
Airports visited: AKL, APW, ARN, ICN, IST, NAN, SYD
Aircrafts flown: A320, A330, A340, A380, B738, B763, B772 (funnily not a single flight on a B747, quite unusual with so many long flights)

Total flight time: Around 66 hours

A map of the routing
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Final comments

Final comments about the business class products

The purpose of the itinerary was not to maximise point earnings or re-qualify for status (for a change, although I did coincidentally re-qualify during the trip ) but rather to get an interesting routing and try a few new business class products.
Over the past years almost all flights I have taken have been on Star Alliance (a few carriers in particular) and honestly it does get a bit boring after a while so it felt nice to try something else for a change, there are still so many nice airlines out there I have not yet tried.
Out of six airlines included in the itinerary, four were completely new to me, one was new for longhaul business class, and only one reasonably familiar to me.

Here are a few last comments about the six business class products reviewed during the trip:

Air New Zealand

The only airline on this trip that was not new to me in any aspect.
One of my absolute favourite airlines with an above average inflight service with excellent high quality food and drinks, even on shorter flights.
Surprisingly nice inflight entertainment system with one of the nicest flight maps I have ever seen.
Pretty much all Air NZ staff I have encountered, both on the ground and in the air, have been polite and courteous but still relaxed and friendly. They have an amazing ability to find just the right mix of these by providing a friendly but still courteous and respectful kind of service to the passengers
Really nice lounges as well, especially the one in Sydney which is one of my favourites in the world.

Air Pacific

A delightful carrier with easily one of the most exotic airline hubs I have ever visited.
Really friendly crew and excellent inflight service, would really like to try Air Pacific on an evening flight to experience a proper dinner service as the feeling I have is that it would be quite a memorable experience.
Surprisingly nice and well-appointed lounge in Nadi for such a small airline.
Also well maintained aircrafts with a nice interior, relaxed atmosphere and spacious and comfortable business class seats.

Asiana

One of the few Star Alliance carriers I had still not tried and was very much looking forward to try after having read many positive comments.
Flying Asiana was a pure delight, Skytrax had given Asiana five stars and I think that is well deserved.
Check-in experiences were very good with friendly and helpful agents. The lounge in Seoul was nice with very friendly staff although the interior was a bit dark with no natural light.
The service onboard was simply fantastic, one of the most attentive and personalised levels of service I have ever experienced in business class. Food was good although some choices were possibly a bit basic for business class.
I found the seats comfortable although the lack of AVOD on the flight was a disadvantage.
Still the amazing service well made up for any drawbacks, would absolutely not hesitate to fly Asiana again.

Emirates

Another new airline for me. I have always been slightly suspicious of Emirates because of their extravagant style which is usually not my main preference.
Flying on the Airbus A380 was a fantastic experience though and the business class seat on the A380 was extremely impressive with more space, storage and features than on any other airline I have flown in business class. A personal minibar and a wireless seat control are rather unusual features at a business class seat.
The lounge in Auckland was a delight with a fantastic selection of food, premium wines, champagne and spirits. I could have spent a few more hours in there.
Food and drinks onboard were also good and the service generally friendly and attentive but in some cases it was obvious the crew were new and inexperienced with the A380. The onboard bar and lounge area was also superb!
Emirates definitely exceeded my expectations for the flight.

Korean Air

Interestingly both Korean carriers ended up being included in the itinerary.
Good and friendly check-in experience in Seoul and a surprisingly nice lounge with a fantastic apron view and nice food and drinks. I noticed nearly 10 attendants in the lounge keeping the self-service buffet tidy and clearing tables. The lounge was not what I had expected, in a very positive way.
However both the seat and inflight entertainment system were old and out of date on the A330, the seat had very limited recline making it quite hard to sleep onboard.
Food was OK although slightly basic and unremarkable, quite nice drinks though.
The inflight service was OK but with both some pros and cons, on the whole I experienced a better service level on Asiana, the second Korean airline.

Turkish Airlines

Turkish Airlines is one of the newest members in the Star Alliance and TK is really working hard to market themselves as a premium quality airline and erase the old image of being an unreliable carrier with questionable service and bad punctuality.
They have indeed come a long way but they also need to make sure their service level is consistent and in some areas they still lack the finesse of a five-star airline.
The lounge in Istanbul is very nice with a nice and airy interior and a good food selection although the quality of the drinks had declined since last visit. Lack of free wifi for international travellers is also a drawback
Aircraft interiors were in very good condition and the longhaul seat and inflight entertainment system were both excellent.
Very positively surprised to find proper business class seats also on the B738 used for intra-Europe flights. Still very rare in Europe!
Delightful food onboard with plenty of interesting meal choices, a pure culinary highlight! Very extensive drinks selection as well although some of the wines were just average.
The service was mostly good with a very few exceptions.
Nice to find both fast track/priotity security control, passport control (on departure) and immigration (on arrival) in Istanbul for business class passengers. The priority tag also worked very well.

That’s all for this time…

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed the report.

Last edited by jacob_m; Jul 18, 2009 at 7:30 am
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
We did enjoy and thanks for writing it.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:15 pm

Thank you

Thank you for a wonderful trip report!

I definitely agree with you on many issues.

Korean Air definitely has a much better lounge than Asiana Airlines in Seoul and the KE food is really good. But their inflight service definitely is lacking compared to Asiana Airlines. The OZ F/As are really quite extraordinary and I only wish they speak better English.

About Turkish Airlines, thank for all the information and I am actually very tempted to fly TK soon and find some good J class deals with them. But I have a question - do they let you take the printed menu home? especially they seem to have a nice folder (not leather, but look quite fancy). The F/As sound like a much bunch... do they have any Korean speaking F/As?

Thanks for the report again!

Carfield
Old Jul 17, 2009, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks Carfield!

OZ was indeed better than KE in pretty much every aspect with the exception of the lounges at ICN where OZ did not really impress (except for the staff).
I agree on the English skills of the FAs, probably hard to have anything but a basic "airline-focused" conversation with them, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Carfield
About Turkish Airlines, thank for all the information and I am actually very tempted to fly TK soon and find some good J class deals with them. But I have a question - do they let you take the printed menu home? especially they seem to have a nice folder (not leather, but look quite fancy). The F/As sound like a much bunch... do they have any Korean speaking F/As?
Definitely give TK a try. Indeed they have some pretty good C-class fares available and as you have probably seen the inflight food is top-notch.

Regarding the menu it was placed in a paper folder (made of something like cardboard paper), so it's not a leather folder in any way, but it did the job, it looked quite elegant and it definitely stood out from most other airlines.
Not sure if you were allowed to keep it. During the outboard flight I believe they actually collected the menus (the ones they saw) but that could have been for the convenience of the passengers as it was a full flight.
I brought all menus home (one reason being this report) and nobody made any fuss about that.

Forgot to add: TK had no Korean-speaking FAs but on the outbound flight the menu was also available in Korean (a separate sheet placed inside the menu folder. Safety announcements and landing announcements were also made in Korean (although pre-recorded).

Last edited by jacob_m; Jul 18, 2009 at 7:28 am
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:34 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Nice job Jacob_m, nice to see you had a holiday you enjoyed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.