Wiki Posts
Search

$219 MR in UA ps C (with photos)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2009, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Thumbs up $219 MR in UA ps C (with photos)

Given I may not even have another long haul international ORD-HKG for the year, I had decided I have to take advantage of the current DEQM promotion, also with the incredibly low fares right now, to save myself not going to drop down to 2P.

Since I am based in ORD, the longest domestic route out of ORD is only the ORD-HNL, but I don't want to stuck in the 2 class 777 for almost 9 hours even I have the choice to be in F. I had decided to purchase two tickets, ORD-SFO-ORD, and SFO-JFK-LAX-SFO. Both of them I had priced out $219. So it would be $438 for a two days MR leaving on a tue and coming back wed (arrive thurs morning)

5/5 UA 137 8:23am-11:06am 2 class 763 ORD-SFO
5/5 UA 10 12:40pm-9:26pm 3 class 757 ps SFO-JFK

5/6 UA 53 11:30am-2:36pm 3 class 757 ps JFK-LAX
5/6 UA 926 3:14pm-4:31pm 2 class 757 LAX-SFO
5/6 UA 158 11:15pm-5:12am 2 class 777 SFO-ORD

With the 763 I already pre-assign 21A exit and the 777 I got 16A exit, the two ps flight I got the bulkhead 15A and 15F, so I am good to go. But then I thought about it since I don't have many chance to fly ps as I am based in ORD, I had decided to put the two ps flight both on the upgrade using 500 mile e-upgrade. At the time, I was short of 1 500 miles upgrade if both clear. JFK-LAX is 5 500 mile upgrade, whereas SFO-JFK is 6 500 mile upgrade as it is slightly over 2500 mile. I was thinking would I be that lucky to upgrade both flights since I am on the cheapest L fare ? JFK-LAX is 5 500 mile upgrade, whereas SFO-JFK is 6 500 mile upgrade as it is slightly over 2500 mile.
Old May 26, 2009, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Too bad you are not flying SFO-JFK-LAX same day...
Old May 26, 2009, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Checking my ug status, I saw that for SFO-JFK it cleared right at the 72 hours mark, and I got 8A, too bad 9 ABCD were already occupied, but who cares, I was on the cheapest fare but still manage to get the upgrade, ^ unlike several years ago, when they first introduced ps, I was on a quite expensive Q fare and still not able to get it.

I woke up a little late, didn't get to ORD til 6:45am, I was thinking I still get plenty of time to grab some breakfest snack at the RCC, who knows when I use the easy checkin, it appeared my 763 is going to delay from 8:23am to 10:30am, which means it is not going to arrive in SFO til past 12:30pm, I would miss my flight to JFK, and more importantly, my confirmed C seat. The machine already offered two option, UA 885 at 7:40am which is a 752, or UA 139 at 10am which is a 2 class 777. I would prefer the later option but my connecting flight leaves at 11:30am, which I wouldn't make it at all. So I have no choice but to standby the 752, which I may easily end up in the middle of E-. The security line on a early tue morning in ORD is long, I didn't get thru til 7am, which by the time I get to the gate already started boarding.

There are quite a few people at the gate as probably they were the refugees from my original delay flight. Some older guy cut in front of me (not because of GA called his name), and claiming he is premier, he need to get a seat on this flight. I was about to say excuse me, I am premier exec., if they are going to give seat out for standby I am going to get the seat before you do. But the GA just gave him a boarding pass, and I got mine in 12B, a middle in E+, what choice do I have flying standby on a mid-con on a 752 ? None.

UA 885 ORD-SFO
N561UA 2 class 757-200
Seat 12B Y class
7:40am departure 5/5/09

The two ladies on the side seems nice enough, at least the one on the window side didn't shut the shade right away to go to sleep, I can still take a peek at the window. Channel 9 was on, which is a plus, and the call sign was "United 885 Kilo"as the movie showing "Last Chance Harvey" was rather boring. FA announced they actually have the "Choice menus" on board for today's flight.

Since I was sitting rather to the front, I asked about which choice was available, to my surprise all three were available in addition to the regular snack boxes. The first two choice is something you can basically get from the RCC, second choice is just like the prafait McDonald serve, I decided to try the 3rd chocie. And I also paid it with a credit card.

The FA claim this is the first time using the credit card machine, which she has to ask other FA how to use it, and it took 15 min to figure out how to do it. It does show the flight number and the segment on the receipt.

The food is good quality, exactly what the menus said, except it doesn't mention what consist of deli meats and the quantity. I felt like by charging $9, it should have another piece of meat.

It also shows what is offering for flight after 10am on the menu card.

On the other side of the menu card.

The plane arrived on time, here is some snap shots of other planes in SFO, a YX B717 N913ME

Departing old color UA B744 N187UA

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 1, 2009 at 1:00 am
Old May 26, 2009, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As when I was in ORD, I was in a hurry I didn't get the time the print of boarding pass for my SFO-JFK, after I left the plane, I immediately go to one of the kiosk to checkin, it was showing a delay by ATC in JFK area. I went to RCC right away after I got my boarding pass. The agent checked on my flight (I always went to the one with the rainbow pin on, he is always friendly and helpful) He actually showed me on the computer that it is not going to delay that much, departure time is still 12:40pm, and the wheels up time is 1:10pm, and it would still arrive 15 min early.

UA 10 SFO-JFK
N555UA (5355)(ps) 3 class 757-200
Seat 8A C class
12:40pm departure 5/5/09

Boarding at door 1, passing thru F spacebed on SQ old C. FA came and hanged my jacket in no time, she decided to use the space between row 8 and 9 as temporary closet, hanging coats using the open overhead bins, once it got about 5 jackets, then she handed to the other FA, very efficient. After she is done with the jackets, she passed out tray of OJ and water. My seatmate was a Indian man, which also saw his boarding pass being premier exec.

I immediately try to turn on the audio to Channel 9, which found out it was switched to music, a hint that pilot is not going to turn on air traffic control, which is fine as I would still get the handheld entertainment device. FA also handed out menus once she is done with the beverage runs before the door closed, as well as the amenity basket, no more socks available, just ear plugs and eye masks.

customize your dinning experience

Make your selection and set the time you would like to dine.
We will begin shortly after takeoff. Please advise your flight addtedant if you prefer to dine at a later time.

Please allow at least 30 minutes for meal preparation.

featured cocktails

Try one of our new specialty cocktails from Funkin London
"the anthority on mixology" Today we offer our verions of two favourites:

APPETINI
Finlandia Vodka with a specially blended all-natural mixture of puree made from fresh Granny Smith apples from the orchards of France, a dash of Mexican lime and Primo Fiori lemon from Sicily for a fresh crisp apple flavor.

RASPBERRY MOJITO
Enjoy this twist on a Cuban favorite made with Bacardi Rum and the finest ingredients found around the world. Fresh raspberry puree, natural mint extract, Mexican lime and a hint of vernas lemon from Italy make this a refreshing all-natural drink to savor.

to begin

SHRIMP COCKTAIL

FRESH LETTUCE WEDGE
With cherry tomato, waluts and shaved parmesan

Served with your choice of dressings:
Light Raunch or Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette

main course

LEMON GRASS CHICKEN WITH THAI BARBECUE SAUCE
Brown rice and stir-fried vegetables

SEASONED BEEF STRIPS WITH ROASTED SHALLOT SAUCE
Mushroom couscous, green beans with red pepper and majoram

REUBEN SANDWICH
Shaved corned beef, sauerkraut and emmenthaler cheese on rye bread served with oven-roasted fingerling potatoes

desert

CHOCOLATE AND GRAND VANILLA ICE CREAM
With a choice of hot fudge or mixed berries topped with toasted almonds or whipped cream

WARM CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

After it got to the cruising altitudes, FA started for the drinks and warm nuts first, then pass out the handheld entertainment device. There was no instruction on how to put it together, and I have no idea how to use it. My previous ps flight was when they first started out this service, they were still using the DVD players. I actually have to use some force to jam the plug in. Once it is turned on, everything is touch screen. I didn't know about there is a metal bar in the back of the screen, actually I can take it out to use as a stand, most of the time I actually put it on my lap in order to create an angle. I think UA should still provide some printed instructions on how to connect and turn on this device. My seatmate actually couldn't figure how to turn on the volume or something, after trying for a while, he just simply gave up and stuck it in the seat back pocket.

The cocktails sounds very appealing to me, but since I don't drink at all, I ask if they can make one for me without alcohol. FA reply they can make one using 7UP or club soda, which made me very happy. As usual, table cloth on the table, then comes with the appetizer and salad. The appetizer used to put on a large plate before. Also there are only two choices of bread, when did they stop serving my favorite Focaccia ?

My entree: Seasoned beef strips with Roasted Shallot Sauce

Ice cream with Raspberry sauce and wipe cream and tea with cream and sugar. The raspberry sauce does not taste like it is sweetened unlike in the local ice-cream shop, which maybe good for people prefer low sugar food, but not my taste.

After FA had finished the meal service with collecting all the trays, she handed everyone bottle of "spring" water.

View from my seat with the blended winglet

Milk and warm cookie is a nce touch before landing

While I was leaving the plane, I did grab the F menus, to my surprise, F actually got served the exact same thing as C, the only difference is one entree, while C got the LEMON GRASS CHICKEN WITH THAI BARBECUE SAUCE, F got the PECAN CRUSTED CHICKEN BREAST WITH MANGO CURRANT CHUTNEY instead. Although F and C got different white wine and red wines.

Here it is C featured wines

white wine

LONGWOOD SAUVIGNON BLANC 2007 WESTERN CAPE

STONE BARN CHARDONNAY 2006 CALIFORNIA

red wine

DE BORTOLI DB SELECTION SHIRAZ 2008 SOUTHEASTERN AUSTRALIA

Here it is F featured wines

white wine

SIME VINEYARDS SAUVIGNON BLANC 2006 SONOMA

FIRESTONE VINEYARD SELECT CHARDONNAY 2007 CENTRAL COAST

red wine

ANDEAN VINEYARDS MALBEC 2007 MENDOZA

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 1, 2009 at 12:27 am
Old May 26, 2009, 5:50 pm

Great report so far, although after reading the first 2 paragraphs, I was thinking $219 was the price for tickets in C
Old May 26, 2009, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Great report so far, although after reading the first 2 paragraphs, I was thinking $219 was the price for tickets in C
I did pay $219 to sit in C, but of course UA is not selling $219 for C class tickets
Old May 26, 2009, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Too bad you are not flying SFO-JFK-LAX same day...
12:40pm is the earliest I can leave out of SFO or LAX, as I am coming from ORD. I think I had priced out the flights leaving in the morning from JFK are more than $219, plus I couldn't get the bulkhead window or aisle in Y.

But either way, redeye on the 2 class 777 exit is still much better than redeye on the ps 757 in Y.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; May 26, 2009 at 8:05 pm
Old May 27, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I did this flight 5/15/2009. It was identical, and I chose the same entree as you! It was really good sliced beef, actually. Quite tasty!
Old May 28, 2009, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

On the night before my SFO-JFK, since it had already passed the 72 hours mark for my JFK-LAX flight, I did went online to see what seat did I get, who knows I am still waitlisted. Checking on the seat map, C was down to 7 seats open. I did ask the agent about that at SFO RCC, she said it was booked full, I may have more chance on the JFK-SFO instead.

Holiday Inn Express JFK Jamaica

I was actually planning to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn as HHonors is running a 1000 bonus points and double miles promotion, but HGI was charging almost $200 a night, while the nearby Hampton Inn still charge $159 a night, it is quite unbelievable at an airport location. I had checked Howard Johnson and Travelodge are the cheapest, but I really don't want to stay at a crappy motel. I had checked that Holiday Inn Express is charging a little over $100, which was good as ING group was also running a "stay 2 nights (stays), and get 1 free" promotion. I always like to stay in Holiday inn express as their rooms are just like HGI without the fridge and microwave. And I love the warm cinnamon rolls in HIX too, better yet, all HIX had upgraded their breakfest to include hot items.

I knew in advance that you have to take the airTrain in order to get to the hotel shuttle pick up stop, but there were no sign at all at the lower level of T7 after I got out of the plane. Those worked for the shuttles are not that helpful either. It took me 15 min in order to find a small sign outside the terminal. The shuttles didn't take long to come at all as there were someone actually already called and waiting.

Checkin was fine, the agent gave me a key and also a white bag. I asked what is that, then he told me as a priority club member I got a complimentary snack bag, I looked inside it actually has a bag of Cheez-it, Kellogg's Special K bar, oreos cookies, and a bottle of water, nice touch. ^ As a gold for HHonors, I would only get a bottle of water and milano/oreos cookies in HGI ir HI. But this Holiday Inn Express actually will give it to just general members. ^

Room is standard Holiday Inn Express but on a small side, but they did have a flat screen HDTV, which most of others don't have. ^ Since I am on a MR, I didn't bring my laptop with me, I decided to go down to use the business center to see what are the loads for my tomorrow JFK-LAX flight. The business center of this hotel is not in a room, actually on the other side of the lobby, which has 3 computers, each of them also has a money inserting machine, rather tacky. I asked the front desk what was it about, he just gave me a card with the access code on, and on the card it said it is good for 15 minutes. I am fine with it as I only need to check my flight, not any other use. It showed my upgrade had changed from waitlisted to confirmed, but no seat assignment, yeah !!! I called immediately, and my C upgrade did go through, I asked if any exit seats available, and here I go, 9D, one of the best seats in ps C !!! ^

Around 4:50am, some kind of loud ringing, I was thinking is it the fire alarm went off ? I checked everywhere and there were no flashing red lights, and then by 5:15am, loud ringing again, it was actually the phone in the room, I picked it up and it was a wake up call. Now my flight is not going to leave until 11:30am, why would I request for a wake up call at 4:50am in the morning ? Besides, whenever I travel, I always have my own alarm clock with me, it really pissed me off. Fortunately, I am able to go back to sleep, didn't get back up til 8am.

I went down to get some breakfest, it actually has scramble eggs, bacons, and sausages, in addition to my favorite cinnamon rolls, Hampton Inn should take note on that. When I checked out, I did ask about who put a request for wake up call in my room, the agent had no answer to that.

I used the shuttle back to JFK at 9am, as it is running only every hour on the hour, I don't want to wait til the next one at 10am.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Since I was short of just 1 500 mile e-upgrade, I have no choice but still has to purchase 4 500 mile e-upgrade at $200, but it seems like the easy checkin would not allow me to use my credit card, and ask me to go to the agent. I have to go to the far right side for the premium UA checkin for F and C, and also elites. The agent swipped my card without any problems and I got my boarding pass. I decided to go past security right away since I know the CX flight to HKG is about to leave at 10:10am. They were about to close the door already.

CX 841 nonstop to HKG B77W B-KPG

After that, I went to the RCC, and I noticed there were signs put out for the NH pax outside the BA Terrace. This is my second time to the JFK RCC since my first PS flight several years ago. It was still one of the nice RCC. There were quite a few people in the lounge as UA 11 to SFO were actually leaving 30 min before my flight depart. However, I didn't know the westin renewal lounge is actually inside the IFL unlike the RCC in LAX and SFO. They have the usual ORD breakfest small bagels, also have oreos cookies. On the bar counter, it has different can juices too. I grab several cans of pineapple juice for later on the long layover in SFO.

UA 53 JFK-LAX
N555UA (5355)(ps) 3 class 757-200
Seat 9D Exit C class
11:30am departure 5/6/09

This is the same plane that I came from SFO. Boarding was rather smooth and I headed straight to my seat 9D, FA once again using the area between row 8 and row 9 as temporary closet. I immediately turn my audio to channel 9, and it was on already. ^ Juice and water were handed once everyone in C got seated, also accompany right after with the ear plugs and eye shades. Then menus passed out, I was surprised to see it actually has a different menus, I would think since it is the same month I would be getting the same menus from my outbound flight, but it is not.

featured cocktails

APPLETINI

RASPBERRY MOJITO

to begin

SMOKED SALMON ROLL ON A BED OF MARINATED CUCUMBERS

FRESH SEASONAL GREENS
WIth cherry tomatoes, garbanzo beans and chopped pecans

Served with your choice of dressing:
Creamy Garlic or Balsamic Vinaigrette

main course

HERB-MARINATED CHICKEN WITH MOREL SAUCE
Mashed potatoes with leeks, sauteed green beans

STIR-FRIED SHRIMP
Egg fried rice, mixed vegetables

LAYERED FOCACCIA SANDWICH
With turkey, roast beef and salami,
served with fried sweet potatoes

dessert

CHOCOLATE AND GRAND VANILLA ICE CREAM
With a choice of hot fudge or mixed berries
topped with toasted almonds and whipped cream

WARM CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Here are some shots of planes where I wouldn't be able to see in ORD, while we are on a long taxi.

One of the two Open Skies originally from BA (as noticed by RR engine), winglet equipped B752ER G-BPEK probably operated as EC 2 or EC 6 to ORY or EC 22 to AMS ? Note this plane had been parked at the same gate since before I arrived from SFO the previous night. There are two other 752 in EC's fleet, both of them equipped with PW engine and came from L'AVION (one from FM, the other from DE)

Air India B77L VT-ALC

South African A343 ZS-SXF

El AL only has 5 B744, I had already spotted 2 in JFK, 4X-ELA and 4X-ELC

The weather is not cooperating, or it would have been a nice pic, as this is the A332 with all TAM employees signature signed on the fuselage PT-MVG This plane is probably going to operate as JJ 8081 evening departure to GRU

SInce TAM already operate so many A332, I have no idea why would they still want 763, this is one of the three 763 in TAM's fleet PT-MSU. It is going to operate as JJ 8079 evening departure to GIG

This time I didn't wait, and ask for a non-alcoholic appletini once again with the warm nuts.

Handheld device was distributed after the beverage service. I noticed many people had problems either have the headphones or the monitor, I guess not as good as the older DVD players. I do suggest UA to install a stand that can be hidden somewhere in the armrest like on NH's 2 class 320 and 73G, it holds the device in a much better position.

SMOKED SALMON ROLL ON A BED OF MARINATED CUCUMBERS and
FRESH SEASONAL GREENS with cherry tomatoes, garbanzo beans and chopped pecans

STIR-FRIED SHRIMP Egg fried rice, mixed vegetables

CHOCOLATE AND GRAND VANILLA ICE CREAM This time I had the fudge instead of the raspberry sauce, much better.

ps bathroom amenities

The basket was empty on my outbound flight, this time were filled with the white tea mints with soothing lavender and white tea towlette by Westin. There were limited supply on board for there items, and seems quite popular. I wish they distribute by the FA rather than leave those in the bathroom.

H2O+ Face Oasis cleansing water, natural spring hand & body lotion and oasis mist

Westin products also include HEAVENLY pillows and HEAVENLY duvets, very comfortable domestic C transcontinental, wish it has it on long haul transpacific flights too.

Milk and warm chocolate chip cookie were served before landing

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 1, 2009 at 12:26 am
Old May 29, 2009, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LAX RCC

LAX RCC is not bad, but it never have the snacks like in the RCC in SFO, ORD, or IAD. All I can see in this mid-afternoon was snack mix from the dispenser and cookies, it reminds me of what AA's Admirals Club served. I did check out the Westin Renewal Lounge, I would say it is much worser than the one in SFO. I didn't take any photos as someone was sitting inside the lounge. It is much smaller, dark, and no view, but it still have the Westin signature cocktail, orange juice mix with ginger green tea.

UA 926 LAX-SFO
N582UA (5682)(Overwater) 2 class 757-200
Seat 16A Exit Y class
3:14pm departure 5/6/09

Since I can see the safety card on board this 752 says "Overwater", I am kind of assuming this plane would fly from SFO/LAX to HNL/KOA/OGG. As short as this flight less than 500 miles on a 752, it is 100% full. I didn't get any seatmate in the middle til almost the door closed. I saw the guy's boarding pass showing he is atually a "Global Service", and he was holding a pile of UA drink chits, I guess he was new to GS, and probably he just went to the special room in LAX in claim his GS benefits. He did use one of his drink chits for a free beer when we were on the cruising altitude.

For two days, 4 flights on the 752, I have been on 3 different verisions of 752

I arrived in SFO at around 4:30pm, it would have almost 7 hours til my flight home to ORD. I could have taken the 5:30pm UA 150 which arrive at 11:35pm at ORD, or the 7:05pm UA 152 which arrive at 1:10am at ORD. Since I don't drive, going back home from ORD close to midnight is not easy, as most buses stop running around midnight especially earlier for the eastbound buses. I have to take the blue line to downtown, which takes close to an hour, then transfer to the red line at Jackson and go back up north, which would take another 30 min. Therefore I would rather take the redeye and arrive early in the morning back to Chicago, at least it is a 777 rather than narrowbodies.

I decided to do some lounge hopping and plane watching, and found the odd 320 with Ted wingtip.

Ted winglet on a regular A320 N410UA

SFO RCC

Whenever I go thru SFO RCC, I always bring an empty bottle, and fill up my glass with the orange giner green tea inside the Westin Renewal Lounge. Most people doesn't even know it exist inside the RCC, as there are really no sign out there to point to where to go for the Westin Lounge, therefore, most of the times it is empty. I do wish they would put more amenities inside the lounge, like those white tea lavender mints and white tea towelettes on board ps flights in F and C.

Westin Renewal Lounge

6 hours layover in SFO was not that easy to past, I bought a Hong Kong newspaper "Sing Tao Daily" from the newstand right after the security, and headed to the less crowded int'l terminal RCC. I think SFO is the only airport in the US that sell chinese newspaper. The RCC in int'l G is almost deserted, as most flights already left til the evening departures varies carriers like UA to SYD, BR to TPE, and SQ to HKG.

Emirates 77L A6-EWD as EK 226 to DXB is about to depart

At gate 98 freshly painted N128UA was already parked here for late evening departure to SYD as UA 863, and you can see how dirty was the nearby tail of N197UA

SQ Silver Kris Lounge SFO

At about 10pm, I had decided since it is a long day of travel, I need to take advantage of the shower inside the SQ SKL. (it opened at 9:45pm) I don't have any problems accessing the SQ lounge, I just present my UA*G card plus my boarding pass unlike others have reported. The agent just took my boarding pass and ask me have a seat as she had to write down all the information from the boarding pass in order to charge UA for that. The SKL is nice in SFO, but bad if compare to any lounges outside US. The shower is nothing like NRT NH lounge and RCC, not even come close to HKG RCC. It is actually a toilet/shower combo. I had to aske the agent for a towel as can't find one inside the shower. Body wash, shampoo, conditioner are all in a dispenser. And the set up is more like for wheelchair accessible, as there is only a low bar to separate from the shower to the room. There is a plastic mat next to the bar, no towels on the floor for you to dry up your feet. And remember, all they give you is "one" towel, not like in NRT RCC they give you "three". Just think of this shower is just a bonus on a domestic trip rather than a luxury like in NRT.

Instant cup noodles, bags of chips, and some variety of mini warm snack like spinach tarts, curry pastries, and some turkey, roast beef sandwhiches are available. I don't understand why someone would say they have good food, maybe those people had never been to a lounge outside US. Yea, it is good compare to other domestic RCC, but not anywhere else. Can drinks from a small fridge and make your own cocktail (bottles if liquore) are also available.

UA 158 SFO-ORD
N212UA (2512) 2 class 777-200
Seat 16A Exit Y class
11:15pm departure 5/6/09

The flight didn't start boarding til 15 min before departure time, as it had to wait for late arrival FA. And once again, it was handled by the same GA in SFO who never follow the rules for boarding, and I had now even recognized his name if anyone know about his behavior, african amenrican older guy, his last name is Jones, and right before boarding, he even said in the speaker "I am going to start boarding with my own way!" As he never cares about difference seating areas. Worser case, since UA had put 1P ahead of seating 1, I was already the first person standing in the economy line, I saw numerous people that has boarding pass read seating 1 board in the red carpet line, and he said nothing about it, until several 1P and myself complain to him, then he finally let the 1P and *G board.

The best seat in Y on the 2 class 772 is definately exit 16A and 16J, as these are the only exit also with the window, unlike the exit at 39A and 39J only comes with a wall. Plus, seated in 16A will most likely get off first, as you are next to door 2L. One draw back is it kinda hard to look at the movie screen in the middle, as it is quite an angle, you actually have to look at the small LCD screen in front of you above the jumpseats.

This 2 class 777 actually had already changed to a new movie screen, I can see that it is much smaller, but the quality of the picture are more clear. If you are seated row 20 or after, probably is hard to see but have to look at the overhead TV in the aisle. The flight was uneventful, channel 9 was on, and I am able to look at plenty of stars outside my window. Although with a 30min late departure, it still manage to arrive in ORD 30 min early due to flavorable wind.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 2, 2009 at 11:39 pm
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
12:40pm is the earliest I can leave out of SFO or LAX, as I am coming from ORD. I think I had priced out the flights leaving in the morning from JFK are more than $219, plus I couldn't get the bulkhead window or aisle in Y.

But either way, redeye on the 2 class 777 exit is still much better than redeye on the ps 757 in Y.
I agree with your last point and understand that a same-day run did not fit into your schedule--I just like upgrading two transcons with one e-500!

Great report and excellent pictures.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I agree with your last point and understand that a same-day run did not fit into your schedule--I just like upgrading two transcons with one e-500.
But does it work? I could not get it to work.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Always interested in the P.S. flight since I never get to experience one based in ORD. Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:48 pm

p.s. is the best

If United has P.S. flights for other destinations, it would be awesome. Like SFO-ORD or ORD-LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.