Search

You can't keep an Addicted Man Down - QF First LHR to OZ and Back

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2009, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
You can't keep an Addicted Man Down - QF First LHR to OZ and Back

The Photos

Well it seems you can’t keep an addicted man down, on the ground that is.

So here we are off on a repeat sampler of my trip to Oz of a couple of years ago.
It is the same routing, same carrier and same class. Those of you interested enough can see if there are any differences by checking out my previous experience in this thread.

I like the idea of the midday flights out of London as I don’t feel pressured (in my own mind) to go to work and skip out to the airport all rushed and flustered like I would for an evening flight. Likewise I don’t have to get up before I am awake in order to do an early flight out.

This of course meant a leisurely morning packing my case and sipping coffee until such time as I needed to hit the road. Now the first dilemma of this trip was how to get to T4 at LHR. Catching the HEX meant a two tube two train journey as you need to wait of several minutes between that arriving at Heathrow Central and then connecting to the Connect service.

Catching the Connect service direct takes almost as long as the tube when you factor in my two tube journey to get to Paddington.

In the end I decided to go on the tube to LHR T4. The trip was slow and tedious and all the while I thought is this really how I should get to the airport to catch a flight in First class?

An hour and ten minutes on two tubes had me waiting for an eternity for the lifts from the T4 basement up to check-in. It was at this point that I realised that I had NEVER actually arrived at T4 using the tube before!

The doors opened on the arrivals area and the QF check-in desks were directly in front of me.

I walked to the First check-in line and had to wait whilst the two agents dealt with other customers. After a couple of minutes I was called over and checked my bag in for the flight and was issued with a BP with 1A on it. I mentioned that I had previously confirmed 3A for this flight. The agent checked and said it was already allocated to someone.
I suspect some QF elite managed to seat shift me out of that seat. I made my feelings at being shifted know to the agent who said there was nothing she could do. She said I could sit in 3K to HKG but that was as far as I could go. I said not to bother I will stick with 1A.

Off to fast track next and queued for several minutes before doing the shoe, belt strip tease and then waiting for ages for some twit to scan the bags. Eventually I was free and headed down to the BA terraces as there is now no F lounge at T4. The terraces at this hour of the morning has very little to eat and nothing that wasn’t sugar filled. Pretty pathetic given they are making people use this facility for almost a year before QF and BA complete the move to T3.

I had a cup of coffee in the lounge and quickly became bored with the place which seemed to be full of mobile phone wielding important people.

I decided to wander the corridors of T4 and see how much had changed since my last visit. There seemed to be a lot of building work going on both airside and landside and it made me wonder why so much needed to be done just to support a new set of airlines. It wasn’t that long ago that I recall massive refurbishment of T4 airside and it seems they are doing it all again. Oh well it is your money Ralph.

I walked to the gate and hovered until the boarding announcements were made. As soon as elite passengers were called I walked up and my BP was scanned and passport checked. I then headed down to the aircraft and entered through the dedicated F & J air-bridge.
Do you remember what they are BA? You know the place where your important passengers can enter the aircraft without having to queue up with all the people boarding in whY?

Flight QF30 LHR-HKG Seat 3A, 1A, 3K
Aircraft: 747-400
Departure time: 12:20

On board the crew member introduced himself and my jacket was swiftly taken away. An amenity kit was handed out and I was asked if I would like some PJs. A drink was then offered and you all know what I asked for and boy was I pleased with the result.

The glass came first along with some almonds and olives. Then the bottle was presented before me prior to the glass being filled. All I can say is heaven in a bottle. It was simply the best champagne I have had for many a year. Not that I drink that much of course.

A second glass of bubbly was poured prior to the doors closing on the flight. A hot towel was handed out on the ground just prior to pushing back which we did at 12:10. We taxied for quite a while before finally leaving English soil at 12:35.

After the seatbelt sign was switched off I asked the crew if I could move to 3K for the remainder of the flight which was not a problem. The cabin only had 1K, 3K, 2A, 3A and 4A occupied. I gave 3A the evil glare as I made my move. No not really just kidding.

Sometimes I wonder if I should bother writing these little ditties as you all know what happened next. I will not disappoint as I did indeed have another glass or 6 of champagne after take off with the canapés.

The menus were handed out after take off and all the options were explained as the QF F menus can be a little confusing. You choose the main and have options as to which type of accompaniment you would like on the veggie front.

LONDON TO HONG KONG

LUNCH

CANAPES

Ham and Swiss Cheese Fritatta
Chilled Vichyssoise

SALAD AND OTHER THINGS
Cream of Sweet Potato Soup with Gremolata
Chinese Style Roast Duck Salad with Black Vinegar Dressing
Salad of King Prawns and Artichokes with Citrus Vinaigrette

LIGHT, VEGETARIAN AND SANDWICH
Seared Halibut with Lemon and Olive Oil Dressing and Steamed Vegetables
Coriander Split Pea Cakes in Coconut Curry with Cumin Pilaf
Big bowl of Broccoli Soup with Ricotta Dumplings*
Stir Fried Lamb in Hoisin Sauce with Asian Vegetables and Glass Noodles*
Our signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

SEARED HALIBUT
Mushroom Soy Sauce, Jasmine Rice and Chinese Cabbage
Herb Butter, Pumpkin and Beans

CORN FED CHICKEN
Rosemary, Pine Nuts and Verjuice with Roast Pumpkin and Spinach
Horseradish Cream and Green Vegetables

PORCINI CRUSTED ABERDEEN ANGUS BEEF FILLET
Herb Butter, Pan Fried Gnocchi and Green Beans
Mushroom Soy Sauce with Fragrant Rice
Horseradish Cream, Spinach and Roast Pumpkin

SIDE SALAD
Salad of Rocket, Red Chard, Mizuna and Baby Spinach with your choice of dressing
Aged Balsamic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Lemon Juice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

CHEESE
Hand selected blue, soft and hard cheese served with accompaniments

DESSERT
Rhubarb Tart with Crème Anglaise
Assiette of Desserts
Whole or Sliced Seasonal Fruit*
Roskilly Organic Ice Cream Tubs*

PETITS FOURS
A selection of Amedei dark chocolates
Passionfruit Marshmallows*
Miniature Opera Cake*
* Available anytime throughout your flight.

HOT BEVERAGES

GIANCARLO COFFEE

Café Latte
Cappuccino
Grinders Decaffeinated
Espresso
Flat White
Long Black
Mocha
Liqueur Coffee

T2 TEA
Experience the beautiful fragrant loose leaf tea bags from around the world, supplied by T2.
English Breakfast – A blend of finest the Sri Lankan full bodied teas produce a rich and well rounded flavour.
Peppermint – A well rounded peppermint flavour captures the sweet essence of all things ‘minty’ with a sweet, cool lingering aroma.
Chamomile – Relax and unwind with this fragrant infusion of sweet golden chamomile flowers.
Sencha – A classic green tea grown in Japan. These beautiful emerald green leaves produce a sweet, smooth grassy flavour.
Lemongrass and Ginger – Zesty and bright lemongrass contrasts the spicy flavour of ginger to create a wild taste sensation.
Other teas are available on request.

HOT CHOCOLATE

BEVERAGES:

APERITIFS:

Bloody Mary
Campari
Noilly Prat French Dry Vermouth

SPIRITS:
Bacardi White Rum
Bombay Sapphire London Dry Gin
Chivas Regal 18yo Scotch Whisky
The Glenlivet 18yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Inner Circle (Green Dot) Dark Rum 57.2%
Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108° Bourbon
Wyborowa Single Estate Polish Vodka

BEERS:
Hahn Premium Light
Crown Larger
Heineken
James Squire Golden Ale
Little Creatures Pale Ale

LIQUEURS:
Baileys Irish Cream
Cointreau

FORTIFIEDS:
Grant Burge 20yo Tawny
Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Tokay
Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Muscat

COGNAC:
Martell Cordon Bleu

NON ALCOHOLIC:
Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Sunraysia Mango Liquid Fruit
Sunraysia Pear Liquid Fruit
Spicy Tomato Juice
Tomato Juice
Mineral Water
Soda Water
Tonic Water
Bundaberg Ginger Beer
Cola
Diet Cola
Ginger Ale
Lemonade
Solo – Lemon Squash

WHITE WINE
Eileen Hardy Chardonnay 2004
Multi-regional cool climate vineyards
Eileen Hardy OBE, is remembered as the matriarch of on of Australia’s best known winemaking families. Today she is immortalised by the annual release of one of Australia’s great white wines. Carefully crafted from fruit growing in some of Australia’s premium Chardonnay growing regions as well as up and coming areas that show fantastic promise.

Pewsey Vale ‘The Contours’ Riesling 2002
Eden Valley, South Australia
The Pewsey Vale vineyard was established at Eden Valley in 1847 producing some of Australia’s first cool climate wines. These early Pewsey Vale wines were exported to England where they won numerous awards in the prestigious wine shows of the day. Though this wine is a cellar release and exhibits desirable maturation characters of complex toast and marmalade, it retains freshness and finesse.

S.C. Pannell Adelaide Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2007
Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Winemaker and current Qantas wine consultant Stephen Pannell made a great name for himself with Hardy’s iconic McLaren Vale reds. He is now doing his own thing and has continued to impress the wine industry. This release shows the diversity of his talent. We see plenty of fresh herb and gooseberry character, but there is also some lifted tropical fruit and delicate hints of citrus.

RED WINE
Peter Lehmann Stonewell Shiraz 2001

Barossa Valley, South Australia
This 2001 vintage was very low yielding due to the long, hot growing season in the lead up to harvest. As a result, this wine displays great depth and intensity. Meaty, earthy, with a leathery bouquet of spicy and stewed plum and redcurrant fruit over fresh cedar/vanilla oak, with finishing notes of aniseed and dark fruit.

Coldstream Hills Reserve Pinot Noir 2006
Yarra Valley, Victoria
Australian Pinot Noir is possibly the best value Pinot Noir in the world and Coldstream Hills has been the major force in this revolution. From its initial vintage of 450 cases it has grown to become one of Australia’s leading small wineries. Reserve wines are strictly limited parcels of outstanding wine from this extraordinary vineyard.

Howard Park Cabernet Sauvignon 2001
Margaret River, Western Australia
Howard Park is amongst the top producers in West Australia’s Margaret River region, an area famed for world class cabernet sauvignon and chardonnay. “The nose offers exotic scents of blackberry, tar and earth. A chunky palate of ripe black fruits married to firm tannins and well-judged oak. The finish has an amazing depth of concentration.” Simon Wood, Wine and Spirits – UK

DESSERT WINE
De Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon 2004

Riverina, New South Wales
The wine is intensely sweet and luscious, its richness only matched by searing acidity of almost breathtaking intensity.

CHAMPAGNE
“My only regret is that I did not drink more Champagne.” Lord Maynard Keynes, on his deathbed.
In celebration of the dynamic region that is Champagne, Qantas is proud to feature a range of Champagne styles in our program from some of the region’s finest and most respected Champagne houses including Charles Heidsieck, Taittinger, Dom Perignon and Krug. From the fresher, more delicate Chardonnay dominant or Chardonnay-exclusive ‘Blanc des Blancs’ styles, through to the weightier, more savoury Pinot Noir-dominant cuvees, our program showcases the diversity and quality for which this region is deservedly famed.

Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc des Blancs 1998

After the drinks and canapés were served the lunch orders were taken by the crew member. As this flight was fairly lightly loaded in F there were only two crew members in F. One worked the cabin and the other stayed pretty much in the galley.

I changed into my jimjams and arrived back at my seat in time to see Mr 1K doing a strip tease changing his top to the QF PJ top. Nasty! This was an older gentleman 60+ and he had very interesting albeit comfortable travelling clothes. Runners, track suit bottoms, a shirt with collar and a linen jacket topped off the ensemble.

Anyway back to better things like my lunch. The table was set with nice crockery and glassware but still the plastic knife although now the rest of the cutlery was stainless steel. My little dish of olive oil and balsamic vinegar was filled ready for me to dip the lovely crusty rolls.

Well I hoped lunch would be better that watching old men strip but there seemed to be something wrong with the galley equipment that is used to heat the food. My soup, although very tasty was only lukewarm. So too was the main course beef with horseradish cream which came to the table with the small bowl of side salad.
During the lunch there were plenty of refills of my glass which was champagne until the beef and then I switched to the loverly Howard Park Cab Sav.

Somewhere during this repast a milestone in my recorded flying was passed. I began recording my flights in March 2002 and 1395 miles into this flight I flew my 1000000 bum in seat mile.

After I had finished the main and salad I decided to wait a while before tackling dessert.

On looking around the cabin I noticed that Mr 3A, who had kicked me out was sitting there wearing BA PJs. I think the BA PJs are awful compared to the lovely, unbranded on the outside, QF ones. Oh well to each their own I suppose. Am I just bitter and twisted since I was kicked out of my seat by this person?

Now back to lunch. After I finished my red wine, which kept being refilled until I had to say stop, I decided to go with the Assiette of Desserts.

On presentation this turned out to be a small cherry cloufotis, coffee cheesecake and a chocolate concoction. All very delicious and all accompanied by several glasses of my favourite QF tipple the luscious Noble One.

During lunch I had a visit from the CSD who introduced herself and told me to let her know if I needed anything.

More dessert wine sir? If you insist! I do.

After all this alcohol and food it was time for a bit of a wander around the IFE before watching a couple of TV shows. I then decided it was time to get some sleep. The lovely Welsh laddie who was working the cabin offered to make up my bed for me. He asked if I waned the lambs wool under-blanket and I said I get too hot so he used a duvet instead and then another on top. He gave me a bottle of water and wished me a pleasant sleep.

About an hour and half out of Hong Kong hot towels were again passed around and I was asked if I wanted to order some breakfast.

BREAKFAST
Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Berry Energiser Drink

Fresh Fruit Salad
Bircher Muesli
Toasted Muesli
Cereal Selection
Yoghurt and Honey

Toast
Croissant
Plum Danish
Chinese Steamed Pork Bun with Chicken
Strawberry Jam, Orange Marmalade, Honey, Vegemite
Free Range Scrambled Eggs
Loch Fyne Smoked Salmon
Holdschott Farm Organic Sausages
Organic Dry Cured Bacon
Sautéed Mushrooms
Roast Vine Ripened Tomatoes
Potato Cakes
Braised Beans

Banana Bread with Cinnamon Yoghurt and Fresh Strawberries

I ordered an energiser drink and some muesli to be followed up by some scrambled eggs, roasted tomatoes and a potato cake. I followed this up with a double espresso to get me ready for the airport experience.

On the way into HKG we passed by some storm clouds and I was able to see the lightning in the distance. Needless to say it was a little bumpy on approach but we landed safely at 06:40 local time in Hong Kong.

On arrival at the gate the two air-bridges were quickly attached and I thanked the crew and made my way off to the transit security which was completely empty. The QF rep there told me to make my way to the Hong Kong lounge after security but I had other plans.

I made a beeline for the CX Wing Lounge and was welcomed inside by the lovely agent manning the desk. I headed straight for the showers and drowned away the cobwebs in order that I can do it all again for the next sector to Melbourne.

After the shower I sat in the lounge and ordered a peppermint tea and relaxed for a while. Around 45 minutes before my flight was due to board I headed back to the Hong Kong lounge that BA and QF use. As with my last experience it was quite full and really not a nice lounge.

I left the lounge early and wandered into a few shops on my way to the gate.
At the gate they were already boarding the passengers for the flight. I walked up to the dedicated F & J line and had my passport checked and BP scanned. I then headed down to the aircraft via the dedicated F & J air-bridge.

Flight QF30 HKG-MEL Seat 1A
Departure time: 09:00

Once on board my jacket was taken and again I was offered PJs and an amenity kit. Following the advice of the crew on my first ever BA longhaul first flight, I decided it is “never too early for champagne” and asked for said item when the crew enquired about a pre-take off beverage.

Hot towels were passed around prior to take off. There was no re-fill of the bubbly this time and the glass was taken away once I had finished. The menus were handed out just prior to pushing back at 09:02. We had a long taxi and queued for a while before leaving the bitumen behind us at 09:35.

After the belts sign was switched off a drinks round was made the crew explained they would be serving brunch now. For the remainder of the flight we could order from the menu as and when we desired.

BRUNCH
Banana Energiser Drink
Fresh Tropical Fruit with Lime Wedges
Croissant with Selection of Condiments
Apple and Maple Buttermilk Hotcakes
Savoury French Toast with Chives, Bacon and Emmental

SALADS AND OTHER THINGS
Chinese Style Crab and Sweet Corn Soup
Grilled Beef Salad with Tomato and Onion Salsa
Smoked Salmon and Baby Leaf Salad with Sugar Snaps

LIGHT VEGETARIAN AND SANDWICH
Stir Fried Lamb in Hoisin Sauce with Asian Vegetables
Big Bowl of Broccoli Soup with Ricotta Dimplings
Our Signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

SEARED BASS
Caper Crusted with Roast Potatoes and Sauteed Zucchini
Caper Crusted with Dijon Mayonnaise and Steamed Greens
Garlic Butter and Roast Vegetables

HERB MARINATED CHICKEN
Dijon Mayonnaise, Sweet Potato Puree and Asparagus
Garlic Butter, Sweet Potato Puree and Zucchini

SZECHUAN STYLE TWICE COOKED PORK
E-fu Noodles and Asian Greens

SIDE SALAD
Salad of Baby Leaves with your choice of dressing
Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

CHEESE

DESSERT
Spiced Pear Cake with Vanilla Fudge Sauce
Chocolate Apricot Tart with Creme Fraiche
Roskilly Organic Ice Cream Tubs
Sliced Fresh Seasonal Fruit

PETITS FOURS
A selectionof Amedei dark chocolates
Passoinfruit Marshmallows
Miniature Opera Cakes

Of course I wanted to get my money’s worth of the bubbly and kept going with that for the time being.

The CSD came by to visit and handed out express arrivals card and immigrations paperwork for Australia. On this flight we had three crew and fuller cabin with only 4 seats vacant. Only 3 of us were had originated in London including my nemesis in 3A. Grrr.

For brunch I decided to go light and only had the savoury French toast whilst sipping on more of the beautiful bubbles. There were plenty of refills of the bubbly during and after my brunch.

I sat and watched some more TV before crashing out and catching some shut eye.

Around an hour and half out of Melbourne as the sun set to the right of the plane I ordered the much lauded steak sandwich. This was delivered around 20 minutes later with a small side salad and I accompanied this with a glass or two of the cab sav. I must say QF009 if you think the chilli sauce on the sandwich is too hot don't come to my place for a curry as you would be crying after the first mouthful.

We flew down over Altona to the west of Melbourne and swung around and came in to land from the south at 19:53.

We pulled up close to the gate but needed to wait to be towed to the gate as it was a tight fit. They are adding some more gates to the end of the pier at MEL and the construction zone was right beside our gate.

As we left the plane I noticed the crew of an Emirates flight just walking down the corridor towards immigration. The Melbourne customs people had closed off the area and only let passengers through one at a time. They had sniffer dogs sniffing all passengers from that flight. As we approached from the HKG flight they opened up the walkway again and we did not get sniffed – yet.

I approached the automatic gates and slotted my passport into the machine and answered no to the question about being in Africa or South America in the last 6 days and yes to the question that I had answered the previous question truthfully. The machine spat out a ticket that I took to the other machinery that looks you over. I entered the ticket into the machine and looked into the camera. The machine decided I was a good enough likeness to the image stored in my passport and let the gates opened.

In the customs hall I dashed to the loo and then back to the carousel and waited for my bag. I wait and waited and then finally the machine lurched into life. A fellow F traveller was the first to get his bag. But I had to wait an age before my London loaded bag made it back to me. Whilst waiting all the people standing around the carousel had to lower their hand baggage to the ground so that a sniffer dog could size us up.

I made my way to the waiting customs agent who told me to exit through the door. Well I indeed seem to be on a lucky streak. This is the third time in a row that I have not had my baggage x-rayed when entering Australia.

Home for Easter with the family and finally some time to catch up with some old friends.

There has been a bit of debate going on about the QF F crew and how spotty the service can be. On these two flights, one of which was LHR based crew and the other Oz based, I had no problem with level service offered. My name was used mostly by both sets of crew and I was never left wanting when it came for re-fills or food. A big thumbs up from me for these most enjoyable flights. Only marred slightly by the lukewarm food on the first sector.

What will the return be like I wonder?

The Photos

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 28, 2009 at 11:11 am
Old Apr 25, 2009, 8:48 am

Great report Moomba.

Looking forward to hearing about the return trip.

Last edited by macabus; Apr 25, 2009 at 4:41 pm
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:52 am
Community Director Emerita

I so relate to your title - though in my case it would be woman. Very enjoyable report.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Back to the UK QF First

The Photos

After a week and half catching up with friends and family and spending a lovely leisurely afternoon on my cousins farm communing with the bird and other life, it was time to head out to Melbourne’s Tullamarine airport.

I drove my father’s car and my parents to the airport and said my goodbyes outside the terminal building. I then headed to the QF F dedicated entrance only to find my way barred by some rope barriers. A note on the door asked passengers to enter via the entrance inside the terminal building. I backtracked and headed inside via the small door to the right of the check-in area.

Once inside my case was taken and I gave the agent my passport. She handed me an outgoing passenger card for immigrations and a fast track card. I filled in the form whilst she checked me in. This time my 3A seat was not stolen from me and I was a happy chappy. The agent asked if I knew where the lounge was and I said I did and she handed me the documents and wished me a pleasant trip.

Outside in the civilian check-in area I headed straight to the departure hall.

Inside I was directed to the fast track lane and waited for a minute before I was attended to.

I then passed through an empty security line without beeping and walked through the duty free maze to get to the gate lounges. I took the elevator near Gate 9 up to the QF F lounge.
Inside I was welcomed back and my BP was taken from me. They said they would hang on to it until the flight was ready to board. I was asked if I would like a spa treatment but declined.

I made my way down to the restaurant to have some lunch. I was seated immediately and was given a menu and asked if I would like something to drink. No need to tell you what my answer was.

I didn’t copy down the whole menu from the lounge so you will have to live without that piece of detail I am afraid.
My champagne arrived and I ordered my meal I decided to go with light options so went with the Leek and Potato soup to start and followed this with the club sandwich.
A while later my soup was delivered and I ate this while watching the planes take off from the East West runway. The landing aircraft were coming in on the North South runway. Every now and again a heavy would take off from the North South runway as only the smaller aircraft were using the East West.

The soup was very nice and hot and hit the spot and stopped the old tummy rumble for a while. Next up the club sandwich was delivered and I ordered a glass of the Yering Station Shiraz Voignier which, like the cabernet sauvignon I had had the last time I was in this lounge, was very nice.

After luncheon I made my way down to the other end of the lounge which was quite empty still. It seems that this time of day in MEL is quite a quiet time.

During my stay I heard a boarding announcement for the CX flight to HKG. The last time I was here that was the flight I had taken. This time though I needed to wait a while longer.

I read some magazines and had a cup of coffee and a small cake whilst awaiting the flight.

A member of staff dropped by and gave me my boarding pass and said they were pre-boarding at the moment and a call would be made in the lounge shortly. I was also told to use the elevator to go down to level 1 to avoid having to mingle with the civilians on the departure level. She didn’t quite use those word though. At this gate passengers wait on the departure level and need to walk down a ramp before having their BPs checked.

When the flight was called at 15:00 I did as requested and waited for the lift and exited on the level where the BPs are checked. I queued for a bit in the elite lane and was then processed and welcomed to board.

Flight QF9 MEL-SIN Seat 3A
Departure time: 15:30

On board a crew member grabbed my jacket and came back with some almonds and olives and asked if I would like a pre-takeoff drink. I was eagerly waiting to wrap my lips around another glass of the Comtes De Champagne and asked for bubbly of course. I was only mildly disappointed when he returned with a glass and presented a bottle of Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires 1995. Although not the Taittinger it was none the less a very palatable bubbly.

Whilst the rest of the crowd were boarding PJs and amenity kits were handed out and my glass was re-filled with the delectable drop. A round of hot towels was handed out on the ground before push back.

Whilst on the ground the captain came on and announced the flight time of 8 hours and 55 minutes.
The CSD also made her welcome speech and also informed the transiting passengers that they could leave personal belongings in the overhead lockers at SIN but needed to take everything from the seat pockets. This was news to me as I thought that SIN regulations meant all items needed to be taken off the plane.

We pushed back at 15:29 and taxied up to the northern end of the north south runway. At 15:41 the gas was applied and away we went down towards Port Phillip Bay. I got a great view of Melbourne city from my A seat and said goodbye to my home town once again.
Of course I was heading for my home in London but as I suspect with most expats ‘I still call Australia home’.
Leaving Melbourne always leaves me with a slight twinge of longing but I haven’t yet finished with my addiction and London is a great base to pander to that.

The menus were handed out after takeoff and a pre-lunch drink order was taken. I stayed with the champagne of course. The CSD came around and introduced herself and remarked that she had remembered me from a previous flight.

Today’s menu was a dinner service and included the popular tasting menu which is what I ended up trying.

MELBOUNRE TO SINGAPORE

TASTING MENU

Our tasting menu features a selection of eight tasting plates highlighting the finest of Rockpool and Qantas cuisine. A selection of award winning wines will be offered to complement each course. Your Flight Attendant is available to assist you with your selection.

Spanish Iberico Ham Croquettes
Crostini of Ortiz White Anchovies

Cream of Chestnut Soup with Croutons

Korean Style Seared Bluefin Tuna Salad

Pan Fried Salmon with Yalla Beetroot Relish, Cannellini Puree and Green Beans

Roast Rack of Castricum Brothers Lamb with Aioli, Potatoes and Minted Peas

Salad of Baby Cos, Radicchio and Frisee with Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

Apple Cinnamon Tea Cake with Crème Anglaise

Blue, soft and hard cheese, hand selected by Will Studd, Maitre Fromager, Calendar Cheese Company, served with accompaniments

A selection of Cacao hand made chocolates

DINNER

CANAPES

Spanish Iberico Ham Croquettes
Crostini of Ortiz White Anchovies

SALAD AND OTHER THINGS
Cream of Chestnut Soup with Croutons
Korean Style Seared Bluefin Tuna Salad
Salad of Roast Beetroot and Marinated Feta

LIGHT, VEGETARIAN AND SANDWICH
Pan Fried Salmon with Yalla Beetroot Relish, Cannellini Puree and Green Beans
Fresh Linguine Pasta with Spanner Crab and Spicy Prawn Oil*
Tagine of Organic Vegetables with Couscous and Harissa
Big Bowl of Barossa Valley Chicken, Leek and Fennel Broth*
Our signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish*

PAN FRIED SALMON
Yalla Beetroot Relish, Green Beans and Cannellini Puree
Harissa and Moroccan Organic Vegetables
Aioli and Minted Peas

MUSCOVY DUCK CONFIT
Caramelised Parsnips, Warm Endive and Pear Salad
Red Wine Jus and Green Beans

ROAST RACK OF CASTRICUM BROTHERS LAMB
Aioli, Roast Potatoes and Minted Peas
Red Wine Jus and White Bean Puree
Middle Eastern Spiced Organic Vegetables

SIDE SALAD
Salad of Baby Cos, Radicchio and Frisee with your choice of dressing
Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

CHEESE
Blue, soft and hard cheese, hand selected by Will Studd, Maitre Fromager, Calendar Cheese Company, served with accompaniments

DESSERT
Apple and Cinnamon Tea Cake with Crème Anglaise
Assiette of Desserts
Whole or Sliced Seasonal Fruit*
Maggie Beer Ice Cream Tubs*

PETITS FOURS
Manna from Heaven Date Cake with Toffee Icing*
Italian Style Baci Biscuit*
* Available anytime throughout your flight.

HOT BEVERAGES

GIANCARLO COFFEE

Café Latte
Cappuccino
Grinders Decaffeinated
Espresso
Flat White
Long Black
Mocha
Liqueur Coffee

T2 TEA
Experience the beautiful fragrant loose leaf tea bags from around the world, supplied by T2.
English Breakfast – A blend of finest the Sri Lankan full bodied teas produce a rich and well rounded flavour.
Peppermint – A well rounded peppermint flavour captures the sweet essence of all things ‘minty’ with a sweet, cool lingering aroma.
Chamomile – Relax and unwind with this fragrant infusion of sweet golden chamomile flowers.
Sencha – A classic green tea grown in Japan. These beautiful emerald green leaves produce a sweet, smooth grassy flavour.
Lemongrass and Ginger – Zesty and bright lemongrass contrasts the spicy flavour of ginger to create a wild taste sensation.
Other teas are available on request.

HOT CHOCOLATE

BEVERAGES:

APERITIFS:

Bloody Mary
Campari
Noilly Prat French Dry Vermouth

SPIRITS:
Bacardi White Rum
Bombay Sapphire London Dry Gin
Chivas Regal 18yo Scotch Whisky
The Glenlivet 18yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Inner Circle (Green Dot) Dark Rum 57.2%
Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108° Bourbon
Wyborowa Single Estate Polish Vodka

BEERS:
Hahn Premium Light
Crown Larger
Heineken
James Squire Golden Ale
Little Creatures Pale Ale

LIQUEURS:
Baileys Irish Cream
Cointreau

FORTIFIEDS:
Grant Burge 20yo Tawny
Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Tokay
Morris of Rutherglen Old Premium Liqueur Muscat

COGNAC:
Martell Cordon Bleu

NON ALCOHOLIC:
Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Spicy Tomato Juice
Tomato Juice
Mineral Water
Soda Water
Tonic Water
Bundaberg Ginger Beer
Cola
Diet Cola
Ginger Ale
Lemonade
Solo – Lemon Squash

WHITE WINE
Eileen Hardy Chardonnay 2004
Multi-regional cool climate vineyards
Eileen Hardy OBE, is remembered as the matriarch of on of Australia’s best known winemaking families. Today she is immortalised by the annual release of one of Australia’s great white wines. Carefully crafted from fruit growing in some of Australia’s premium Chardonnay growing regions as well as up and coming areas that show fantastic promise.

Tyrells ‘Vat 1’ Hunter Valley Semillon 2002
Hunter Valley, New South Wales
The Tyrrell’s family arrived in Australia over 150 years ago and have since been proud pioneers of the Australian wine industry. This is a fine example of a true Semillon from a region that produces the best of this delightful varietal. The flavours are typical – lemon and lime rind with some fennel, a little spice and a texture that is slightly chalky and fluffy.

S.C. Pannell Adelaide Hills Sauvignon Blanc 2007
Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Winemaker and current Qantas wine consultant Stephen Pannell made a great name for himself with Hardy’s iconic McLaren Vale reds. He is now doing his own thing and has continued to impress the wine industry. This release shows the diversity of his talent. We see plenty of fresh herb and gooseberry character, but there is also some lifted tropical fruit and delicate hints of citrus.

RED WINE
Meerea Park Alexander Munro Shiraz 2005

Hunter Valley, New South Wales
‘Brilliant. Beefy, sweet, laced with chocolaty oak, blessed with plumy fruit and fleshed out with trademark, cherried, Hunter earthiness. It is clean as a whistle, ripened to perfection, ridiculously well structured and long. Something for everyone here. It’s robust, elegant, and regional’ 96 points Campbell Mattinson ‘The Waterfront’ Top 101 red wines 2007.

Coldstream Hills Reserve Pinot Noir 2006
Yarra Valley, Victoria
Australian Pinot Noir is possibly the best value Pinot Noir in the world and Coldstream Hills has been the major force in this revolution. From its initial vintage of 450 cases it has grown to become one of Australia’s leading small wineries. Reserve wines are strictly limited parcels of outstanding wine from this extraordinary vineyard.

Howard Park Cabernet Sauvignon 2001
Margaret River, Western Australia
Howard Park is amongst the top producers in West Australia’s Margaret River region, an area famed for world class cabernet sauvignon and chardonnay. “The nose offers exotic scents of blackberry, tar and earth. A chunky palate of ripe black fruits married to firm tannins and well-judged oak. The finish has an amazing depth of concentration.” Simon Wood, Wine and Spirits – UK

DESSERT WINE
Bellarmine Riesling Auslese 2007
Pemberton, West Australia
This very sweet dessert style Riesling is laden with flavours from lime to mango. Delicate and well balanced with a clean finish, it will excite you senses.

CHAMPAGNE
“My only regret is that I did not drink more Champagne.” Lord Maynard Keynes, on his deathbed.
In celebration of the dynamic region that is Champagne, Qantas is proud to feature a range of Champagne styles in our program from some of the region’s finest and most respected Champagne houses including Charles Heidsieck, Taittinger, Dom Perignon and Krug. From the fresher, more delicate Chardonnay dominant or Chardonnay-exclusive ‘Blanc des Blancs’ styles, through to the weightier, more savoury Pinot Noir-dominant cuvees, our program showcases the diversity and quality for which this region is deservedly famed.

Charles Hiedsieck Blanc des Millenaires 1995 (MEL – SIN)
Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc des Blancs 1998 (SIN – LHR)

As I said before typing out this massive menu, I ordered the tasting menu but switched the Palm Sugar vinaigrette over to the Balsamic dressing. I also opted to go with their recommendations for wine.

My table was laid out with three wine glasses in preparation for this feast of food and wine.

The canapés were served prior to the meal and I was still drinking bubbly at this time.

After the table was set the soup course was delivered and was piping hot. No trouble with the heating elements on this flight. A glass of the Chardonnay was poured with this course.
After the soup was whisked away the first of the fish dished appeared in the form of the Bluefin tuna. The Semillon was then poured for this and the salmon that followed.
Both of the fish courses were very nice I was already beginning to get a little full.
Next up the lamb course came out and the Cab Sav was poured for this dish at my request.
Finally the dessert came around and I asked for the Noble One, not realising that it was not on the wine list. The crew member came back saying that they did not have any Noble One on board and they had a Lilly Pilly instead. I said that would be fine and as he went away I checked the list. He came back as I was looking and he asked what was in there and it was the Bellarmine Riesling which was not on board either it seems.
The Lilly Pilly NSW Riverina Noble Blanc was an acceptable substitute for the De Bortoli wine.

I couldn’t manage the last course of cheese and went straight to a double espresso and a chocolate or two.

The service on the remainder of the flight was on request and no formal second meal was offered.

As the dinner service had taken a lot of the flight I didn’t find it was necessary to eat again. I also knew that I would be getting a supper service on the next flight anyway.

I watched a movie and listened to some music as well as dozing for a while.
The two guys doing the public facing aspects of the first cabin were very good although a couple of times I needed to ask for cutlery to go with the next course of my meal.

It never ceases to amaze me how big Australia is and we didn’t finish flying over Oz near Broome until over 5 hours into the 9 hour flight.

Prior to landing the CSD came on the horn again and apologised for giving incorrect information for transiting passengers. She then correctly stated that we did indeed need to take everything off the plane and would have to clear security prior to re-boarding. This meant any liquids over 100 ml would be confiscated.

The CSD popped by one more time prior to landing to wish me well.

There was a bit of activity in the night sky as we swung around and came into Singapore airport with the city on our left and landed at 20:45.

After pulling up at the gate and the doors opening I thanked the great crew and walked straight up to the QF lounge. Inside I had a lovely shower and changed my clobber. I then waited in the lounge sipping a G&BL as the locals do.

After what seemed like an age I made my way down to the gate and joined a short queue for security. I had grabbed a plastic bag in MEL and had already placed the liquid contents of my amenity kit into this in the lounge.

Once past security it was a slow process for to make it past the SIN passport check and then the BP swipe at the entrance to the lounge.
I walked down to the boarding end of the lounge and waited, and waited.

Eventually after 15 minutes pre boarding was announced and elderly and those with small children were invited to board. I must say some people’s idea of small children does really take the piss.

Anyway then first, business and elites were invited to board and a heaving mass headed toward the gate. A minute later the first of the whY passengers were invited to board creating even more mayhem at the gate. The poor fellow checking BPs could not cope. I snuck around the edge and he saw my F BP and waived me on through. What a balls up boarding is in SIN.

Flight QF9 SIN – LHR Seat 3A
Departure time: 23:05

On board the familiar routine of jacket, PJs and amenity kits was made and I was asked if would like a drink. Champagne if you please.

The canapés for the flight were offered with the drink on the ground instead of the usual almonds or olives. A glass was placed before me and I was delighted to see the Taittinger Comtes des Champagne was presented.

I sat and sipped the bubbles whilst boarding finished. My glass was taken from me as soon as I had finished it with no offer of a re-fill. I recognised this particular crew member and even recall her doing the same the last time I encountered her.

The captain announced a 15 minute delay due to ATC. The FA that had taken my glass came out with more bubbles for other passengers but failed to give me another glass. I was pleased to see that after take off she was not going to be my attendant.

There was a full house in F for this flight and only about 5 others had flown in from Melbourne.

We pushed back at 23:25 and made our way to the runway where we pushed back the clouds at 23:40.

After the seatbelt sign was switched off the CSD came around and introduced himself, gave me an immigrations card for the UK and wished me a pleasant flight.

The menus were handed out and a drinks order taken. I stuck with the yummy champagne of course.

SINGAPORE TO LONDON

SUPPER

CANAPES

Parmesan Biscuits with Red Pepper Hummus and Marinated Black Olives

ENTREES
Cream of Pumpkin Soup with Chive Crème Fraiche
King Prawn, Cucumber and Coriander Salad with Lime Dressing

LIGHT MEALS
Big Bowl of Barossa Valley Chicken, Leek and Fennel Broth
Fresh Linguine Pasta with Spanner Crab and Spicy Prawn Oil
Our signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

MAIN COURSES
Five Spice Duck with Chestnuts, Baby Choy Sum and Fragrant Rice
Italian Beef Braised in Red Wine and Rosemary with Polenta and Spinach

SIDE SALAD
Salad of Baby Leaves with your choice of dressing
Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

CHEESE

DESSERT
Baked Lemon Tart with Grand Marnier Strawberries
Black Sticky Rice with Caramelised Pineapple and Coconut Cream
Whole or Sliced Seasonal Fruit
Maggie Beer Ice Cream Tubs

PETITS FOURS
Manna from Heaven Date Cake with Toffee Icing
Italian Style Baci Biscuit

I ordered the linguine as I was still not that hungry after the huge dinner I had on the earlier flight.
I stuck with the champagne throughout the meal which was very nice indeed. Whilst eating dinner I was looking at the window watching a doozy of an electrical storm below us. There were lightning strikes in quick succession that just kept on and on. I was certainly glad we were above the clouds and not below them.

It was time then to watch another movie whilst trying to keep my eyes open.
Eventually I could no longer stay awake and slipped the seat down and nodded off. I awoke a while later a little cold and went to the loo. I asked for a duvet and one was provided straight away. I was asked if I wanted the bed made up but I said the duvet would be fine.

Around 2 hours out of London hot towels were passed around and breakfast orders were taken.

BREAKFAST
Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Banana Energiser Drink

Fresh Fruit Salad
Bircher Muesli
Toasted Muesli
Cereal Selection
Yoghurt and Honey

Toast
Croissant
Carrot and Sultana Muffin
Chinese Steamed Pork Bun with Chicken
Strawberry Jam, Orange Marmalade, Honey, Vegemite

Scrambled Eggs
Bacon
Pork Sausages
Smoked Salmon
Braised Beans
Sautéed Mushrooms
Potato Cakes
Tomato and Basil Ragout

Caramelised Leek, Herb and Egg Tart. Fresh Spinach Leaves and Tomato Relish

I opted for the yoghurt with honey and some toast with vegemite. This I followed up with the leek tart which was served with a very nice relish.
A couple of double espressos set the eyelids into open and alert mode and I was ready for the plane to land 58 minutes out of London.

The CSD again dropped by before landing asking if all was well with the flight and hoping to see me again soon on Qantas.

We landed at 05:27 and had a long taxi over to T4. We pulled up at the gate and I said my goodbyes to, apart from the champagne dragon, a very good crew.

IRIS was misbehaving, but not in the usual way. It was operational but the doors would not open to let me in. The passenger after me who I invited to try was let in without a problem. I then tried again but the gates would not open. The girl behind me offered to try and it did open for her but she let me in instead. I thanked her and was quickly processed by the machine.
Down the baggage hall I made a pit-stop in the loo and then out to the carousel. My bag was already doing the rounds when I got there. See BA this is how you do it.

I then exited through customs and straight down to the basement for my trip home.

The Photos

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 28, 2009 at 11:12 am
Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
I decided to wander the corridors of T4 and see how much had changed since my last visit. There seemed to be a lot of building work going on both airside and landside and it made me wonder why so much needed to be done just to support a new set of airlines. It wasn’t that long ago that I recall massive refurbishment of T4 airside and it seems they are doing it all again. Oh well it is your money Ralph.

If only you knew how difficult it is to satisfy all those different airlines, with different requirements. Of course they also change their minds as the work is progressing. Much of the area used to be BA and it now has to be split up into a lot of smaller rooms and offices
While all the chaos is going on they are also putting down some more suitable flooring on the piers.

Oh and by the way i enjoyed the report !! I admire your ability to drink copious amounts of champagne.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 6:11 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Thanks for the great TR, Moomba. The daytime departure sounds very civilised indeed.
(Was it QF30 you took on the outbound via HKG?)
Old Apr 27, 2009, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattm199
Thanks for the great TR, Moomba. The daytime departure sounds very civilised indeed.
(Was it QF30 you took on the outbound via HKG?)
Well spotted. I have corrected the post to note QF30. Must have A380 flights on the brain at the moment.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
They are great wine lists, and I would be terribly tempted to have a wine tasting of all of them including the champers to start and the sticky to finish if I could manage it. The only thing missing is a decent Rutherglen muscat! I am planning a similar trip towards the end of the year on an A380 if I can manage it, and I am already salivating at the thought!
Old Apr 27, 2009, 5:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Another fine report - thanks moomba ^^
Old Apr 27, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Good to see you writing again Moomba ^ - a good run of champers and food

A bit of a pain at T4 - and the seat booting... but it seems you made the best of it!
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: *Gold, Amex Plat
Thanks for yet another great report!

Appreciate the sunset as well...^
Old Apr 28, 2009, 2:16 am

Nice and detailed TR there moomba, very impressive.
I'll only ever dream of an F seat...
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WellingtonFF
The only thing missing is a decent Rutherglen muscat! I am planning a similar trip towards the end of the year on an A380 if
The only thing it was missing from was my report. I had failed to copy the last page of the menu that includes the beverages list.

This has been updated now and as you will see there is a choice of a muscat or a tokay.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Originally Posted by Moomba
The only thing it was missing from was my report. I had failed to copy the last page of the menu that includes the beverages list.

This has been updated now and as you will see there is a choice of a muscat or a tokay.
I do see it now, Moomba. I used to love my port, but if I am going to complete my complete wine tasting and get off the plane in a reasonably coherent state, I will have to restrict myself to the tokay and muscat. What a terrific wine selection.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Moomba - Another excellent trip report. Thank you. I particularly enjoyed reading QF's F wine list.

Originally Posted by Moomba
Then the bottle was presented before me prior to the glass being filled. All I can say is heaven in a bottle. It was simply the best champagne I have had for many a year. Not that I drink that much of course.
Of course. May I assume the Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc des Blancs 1998 was the bubbly offered both LHR-HKG and also HKG-MEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.